Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Changing History by A_Pink_lady

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Ok, sorry about taking so long and then it being so short, but i had to change the whole chapter as it wasnt right, so i took away some of the original chapter 3 and put in some chapter 4. I hope you like it and i will put the next chapter up soon. Also, this is the next day after leaving the Dursleys and going to the Weasley's

Harry always loved staying with the Weasley’s. He always felt welcome, like he belonged. The Burrow emanated warmth and happiness, even in these dark days. As the days passed, Harry fell back into the routine at the Weasley’s and helped get things ready for the upcoming wedding. He still managed to spend time in the garden with Ron, laughing together and sometimes playing a game of chess (Ron always won) and occasionally Ginny joined them as well, steering clear of their increasingly stressed mother. Mrs Weasley was constantly rushing around, randomly hugging someone and sometimes yelling at someone. She became even worse when Fred and George came round to help, however they kept on playing practical jokes which, as funny as they were, did not amuse their mum, but was highly amusing to watch.





It didn’t seem long before Hermione arrived; she ran straight at Harry and gave him a hug, almost knocking him flat. She also hugged Ron, but there was a bit of tension between them, which was almost impossible to notice if you didn’t know the two of them extremely well. Her bandy-legged cat, Crookshanks, followed her, sniffing his new surroundings. Mrs. Weasley ushered her in, planting a kiss on her cheek, before rushing off to stop the twins trying to feed a gnome a Canary Cream. Hermione went over to Ginny and gave her a hug too then they went to her room and unpacked.





When the girls finally came down, Hermione immediately frowned at Harry. Obviously, Ginny had told her about the break up, even though Harry fairly was sure she already knew before.It wasn’t long before everyone went down into the garden for a well-earned game of Quidditch. All the Weasley’s were playing, including Bill and Charlie, who had just Apparated there half an hour earlier. It had been a long time since any of them had been on brooms, so they were all rusty, especially Bill and Charlie, who hadn’t really played for years. Even Hermione joined in; however, she was not that confident on the old broom. Hermione played Keeper against Ron, Ginny was against Bill as Chaser, Harry was against Charlie as Seeker and Fred and George were against each other as Beaters. It was a wonderful feeling, the air whistling through his hair again, reminding Harry of his passion for the game and all the good memories from Hogwarts. They played for hours; Ron kept on improving as they played, he relaxed and was saving more goals than ever before. Even Fred and George couldn’t discourage him with their jokes and taunts. Charlie also taught Harry some new tactics to help him catch the Snitch. Everyone reluctantly stopped when Mrs. Weasley called them all to dinner, their stomachs growling. Just before they all went in, Harry pulled Hermione and Ron aside.





“Hey guys, I was thinking of going to Godric’s Hollow after my birthday,” he said.





“Oh ok, well we are coming too, of course,” Hermione said. In spite of himself, Harry smiled at his best friends; he couldn’t put into words how thankful he was for them.





“I wonder if they found a teacher for Defence against the Dark Arts yet,” Harry said to no-one in particular.





“Yeah, I wonder who it will be, I hope it’s not someone horrible again,” Ginny added.





“Oh, I think you’ll like this teacher,” Mrs Weasley said, mysteriously.





“You know who it is? Please tell us! ” Ginny pleaded.





“You’ll find out soon enough, it’s a surprise. Now go upstairs and get ready for dinner, it will be ready in five minutes,” Mrs Weasley left the room, leaving the others contemplating who it would be.





At the dining table, after Hermione was congratulated by everyone, the topic of the wedding sprung up. Ron was getting increasingly worried about what his mother was going to make him wear, desperately hoping that they wouldn’t be like the ones he had to wear to the Yule Ball. Then his eyes fell on Ginny. I’ve known her for years, why didn’t I notice her before? He sighed heavily and continued to eat his food, trying to stop his eyes from straying over to Ginny.





*********************





Harry awoke with a jump. Ron had just produced an exceptionally loud snore, rousing him from his slumber. As he sat up, he felt like he was forgetting something. He walked over to Ron’s bed and woke him up. Ron groaned loudly. After they got dressed, they went downstairs. The kitchen was dark, so Harry turned the light on and was taken aback when everyone jumped out. Lupin, Tonks, Mad-eye Moody, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Mrs Weasley, Mr Weasley, Fred, George, Bill, Fleur, Ginny, Hermione and Charlie were all standing in the kitchen. There was an enormous red and gold banner, with the glittery words “HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARRY!” on it.





Harry blinked, as he looked at the mass of people standing in front of him. He had completely forgotten that it was his birthday! He turned to Ron, who was grinning at him. The table groaned under the enormous load of presents. Harry felt happiness blossom in him. He had never had a birthday present before he went to Hogwarts, let alone a party. Everyone crowded round as Harry picked up his first present, which was wrapped with red and gold wrapping paper . The card attached to it said:





Harry,


Happy birthday, sorry I couldn’t be there on your birthday but I will see you soon. I hope you like your present.


Hagrid






Inside was some of Hagrid’s homemade rock cakes and toffee. There was also a homemade birthday cake, which was like the one he had brought him on his eleventh birthday. It was a chocolate cake, with green icing on it saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARRY! Harry smiled and made a mental note to thank him. He carefully put down the cake and picked up another brightly wrapped present.





Harry couldn’t remember ever having so many presents. Coloured wrapping paper littered the table and flowed onto the floor. His favourite present was Ginny. It was a handmade bracelet. It was a plain silver chain, inlayed with small emeralds that glistened and shone in the light. For a moment, he lust stared at it in amazement. There was a note explaining what it was.





Dear Harry,





Happy Birthday. I thought that instead of buying you something, I would make you something. I made you a protection bracelet, for when you are on your travels. It won’t protect you from all the curses but it will help.





Love Ginny






Harry discreetly slipped the note into his pocket then put the bracelet on straight away. After he had finished opening his presents and thanks everyone, he noticed Ginny slipping out into the garden. Harry picked up a piece of toast from the plate Mrs Weasley had made for him and followed Ginny outside. She had her back to him and was looking outside at the view of the garden.





“Hi,” said Harry. Ginny jumped and turned round.





“Hi,” she said breathlessly. “Happy Birthday again.”





“Thanks,” Harry replied. “I really love the bracelet Ginny, it’s incredible.”





“You really like it?” She asked nervously.





“It’s amazing. I will never take it off,” Harry declared.





“Oh, you don’t have to do that Harry” she said, blushing slightly.





“No, I want to. You must have spent ages making it” Harry said. Ginny started to blush harder. “Why have you come outside?”





“I just wanted a bit of fresh air, it was a bit packed inside,” Ginny replied.





“We should better go in, everyone will be missing the birthday boy,” Ginny said slowly, reluctantly turning away from Harry. Harry chuckled at being called the birthday boy for the first time in his life. He then followed her as she walked back into the house. Inside, everyone was chatting with each other merrily. He noted Ron and Hermione talking together and Fred was showing Tonks one of their latest products. Harry felt a pang of upset, thinking of the people who were missing, who should have been there, but couldn’t. They were all gone. Today was his birthday, his coming of age, but all he was able to think about was where he was going the following week. To Godric’s Hollow.