Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Just Another Love Story by HarrynHermione_06

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hey guys! Sorry for the long wait, I was trying to get my H/Hr one shot up, but It's taking a while...So here you go! Perhaps the last update of the year 2006!! I'd like to point out that I did not come up with James' poem...I found it on the glorious internet...and I'd like to give a huge thank-you to my Beta, Beauty and Brains, and I urge you to read her fics! She's only got one out now, but her others, which are in progress, are amazing! Wel...Happy Holidays!
~*~Just Another Love Story- Ch. 6: The Poem~*~

Lily sat by the lake, a breeze blowing the cool November air through her hair. She looked out at the calm waters that were only disturbed by the slight breeze. This is just the kind of atmosphere she needed to clear her mind of all thoughts. She looked out at the lake and took a deep breath, closing her eyes. She loved the way the salty smell of the lake cleared her thoughts.

She propped herself up with one hand, staring into the depths of the lake. Solitude is just what the doctor ordered. As much as she tried to push it from her mind, she knew she would have to think things over about James sooner or later. Hopefully later, if possible.

As she listened to the sound of the water hitting the sand, she was tempted to dive in. Not wanting to ruin her outfit, or change into a swimsuit, she took off her shoes and waded into the water, going only knee-deep. She smiled as she watched the water envelope her ankles. Only this silent time by the lake, could clear her mind.

When the breeze started to pick up, Lily slowly backed out of the water. She picked up her shoes and walked back to the rock where she had been sitting. She sat down once more, looking around at the grounds. It was so quiet, with no busy people running about. She sighed as she looked into the forest. Sometimes she wished she could just run away into there, not having to worry about school, Head Girl duties, love...

Lily turned her head to the giant castle as she heard the great oak doors close. She could see a figure walking towards her. Please don't let it be a teacher, she prayed. Yes, in the school, she could lie about her Head Girl duties, but it might not work on the grounds. As the figure came closer, she could tell that it wasn't a teacher, but a teenager, walking in her direction...

As realization struck her, she felt like jumping into the lake. Some friends had ratted her out to James Potter. He was the one coming towards her. He was the one who was about to interrupt her thinking time. He was the one she couldn't get to flee from her mind.

She turned her back to him, facing the lake. She was trying to get in a few more moments of tranquility left before it was shattered. She took a deep breath. "What do you want Potter?" she asked as he approached.

James stopped. He wasn't aware that she knew he was this close. He reached in his robe pocket to make sure it was still there. Yep, it was. "Lily," he began. "Yes, I called you Lily, deal with it," he chimed in before she could say something. He closed his eyes. "Lily, I really want to make things up to you."

Lily rolled her eyes. "Really? How are you going to do that? Disappear?" she folded her arms and turned around to face him, her emerald eyes glaring into his brown ones.

"No," he answered, still staring into those seducing, emerald eyes of hers; the feature of hers that he admired most, besides her personality. He reached in his pocket. "Just...read this, okay?" James said as he handed the slip of parchment to her. God, he hoped she liked it, to him, it seemed very stupid and romantically clichéd, but, it was how he really felt.

Lily looked at him, unsure. She took the parchment from James, wondering what was so important. "Okay?" she said, not quite sure of what she'd see in the note.

James stood up without another word. He gave a gentle smile to Lily, turned around, and began his trek back to the Gryffindor Common Room. As the wind rushed through his messy, jet black hair, all he could hope was that Lily felt the same way about him, even if she didn't want to admit it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, there Lily sat, watching James leave, a note from him in her hand. After losing sight of James, she looked at the parchment in her hands. Should she open it? She honestly was a little afraid to. What if it was something really sweet that made her fall for him even more.

She sighed and looked out over the lake, wishing something would just come and relieve her of all thoughts and emotions. Life is too damn confusing, she told herself. She sighed and began to unfold the note. It was blank.

She looked around her. James was out of sight. Great way to win someone over, she thought, give them a blank piece of parchment. I've got a real Romeo on my hands, she added. She turned her attention back to the small parchment in her hands and gasped.

There, in James' handwriting, words were writing themselves across the page to form one of the most beautiful things Lily had ever read.

Tell my heart to stop beating.
Tell my mind to stop thinking.
Throw a stone in the ocean then tell it to stop sinking.
Tell the sky not to be so blue.
Well, its like telling me not to be in love with you.


Lily put a hand on her chest. This was the sweetest thing she had ever read. She could not believe that James Potter had written this. For her. She sighed. The least I could do is give him a chance, she thought. But she already knew what he was like.

It looks like he's changed, another part of her said. Just give him a chance, it seems like he cares a lot about you. Give the poor boy a chance. For God's sake, did you not see that poem he wrote you?

But what if he goes back to being an arrogant prat? she asked herself. What would I do then? I don't want to be caught in that situation.

Ditch him. That was the answer that came into her mind. Simple, quick, and understandable. It was the perfect solution.

Yet heart-breaking fo him, she thought as she got off the rock and laid down in the soft green grass. She looked up at the stars. Why did she have to plan her life? Why couldn't she just take risks like normal people? Should she try it? Just throw caution to the winds?

That was her best bet in this head-vs.-heart battle called love.

Lily stood up, her mind still wondering what she was going to do. With her heart beating fast in her chest, she returned to the great castle, refusing to believe that she was actually falling for James Potter.