Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Hardest Thing by smiley10792

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Well, here it is, the promised sequel to What Are You Scared Of?. This story has gone through so many editations, I can barely recognize it anymore! It started out as a light, fun little fic, but then that idea died and it's got a completely different, much darker plot.

All the characters belong to JKR. I'm just having a great time experimenting with them.

Ginny Weasley was insanely happy.

She was sitting in the Burrow’s garden with the night air cool on her face and the fireflies twinkling in the trees. She was seated on the lap of her boyfriend, the famous Harry Potter who had just defeated the greatest dark wizard of all time, and tonight, they were eating brownies.

Ginny had one in her hand. They were the really good kind, all warm and really fudgy. She was seated on Harry’s lap in the tree swing, and her hand that didn’t hold the brownie rested in his, her fingers lightly touching his palm. His other arm was around her waist, and she would occasionally toss a bit of her brownie into his mouth, since he wasn’t holding one.

They were talking and laughing with Ron and Hermione, who were seated in the same lawn chair, squeezed in next to each other with their legs and hips touching. The whole group was enjoying a quiet evening before their lives got busy again the next day.

Right now, however, the future was the last thing on anyone’s mind. Right now all they cared about was that moment in the Burrow, when the sweet smell of honeysuckle and the last rays of summer drifted over them, putting them all in a haze of happiness.

When Ron and Hermione left to get another brownie, Harry adjusted Ginny on his lap so that she was facing him. He took a tiny piece of her brownie, and fed it to her, smiling.

“I love you,” he whispered, and pulled her close enough to kiss. Ginny thought she could stay forever in the warm summer air, her arms wrapped around Harry and her lips pressed against his mouth. His lips tasted like chocolate and his arms felt so warm and strong Ginny thought she would melt with happiness. She drank in the scent of his untidy hair and the feeling of his back against her hands…

All too soon, Ron and Hermione returned. Harry and Ginny broke apart, but Ginny left her arms around Harry, snuggling up close to his chest. Ron and Hermione were laughing about something, their heads close together and their fingers gently entwined. Ginny grinned lazily at them. They were so perfect together, and she had waited so long for them to realize it. As Ron and Hermione resumed their seats, Ron spoke.

“Are you three all set for tomorrow?” he said.

The next day, Ginny would be starting her seventh year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Harry and Hermione were heading to Hogwarts as well- Harry was teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts and Hermione was teaching Transfiguration.

“Yeah, we’re ready,” Harry said. Hermione remained silent, but she suddenly looked anxious. Ron rubbed her shoulder reassuringly.

“Relax, Professor Granger,” he said. “They’re going to love you.”

The four sat there quietly for a moment, completely at peace with the world. The crickets in the rosebushes chirped a summer melody.

Mrs. Weasley walked over to them, interrupting the silence and looking grave.

“Harry, dear, can I speak to you alone? There’s something you should know about.”




An hour later, Harry was seated on his bed, staring absently into space and holding his pajama top in one hand. Ron was downstairs with Hermione and Ginny was doing some last minute packing. Harry was supposed to be packing too, but he had something else on his mind.

A soft knock disturbed his reverie, and he got up to open the door, slipping on his pajama top as he did so.

Ginny stood in the dark hallway, her hair loose and flowing over the back of her pale purple nightdress. Her brown eyes looked worried.

“Harry? What did mum want?” she said.

“Come in, quietly,” Harry whispered.

Ginny walked into the attic bedroom and perched cautiously on Harry’s bed, still peering at him anxiously. He hadn’t spoken to anyone since Mrs. Weasley had asked to speak to him. Ginny had seen Harry deep in conversation with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and Lupin, looking very grave.

“What did mum want?” she repeated.

Harry sat down next to her.

“You know my cousin, Dudley?” he said. Ginny nodded.

“Well, apparently, a Death Eater kidnapped him yesterday and started torturing him, trying to figure where I am. You know the Burrow has all kinds of protective wards, so they can’t find me here- but anyway, he’s in pretty bad shape, in St. Mungo’s. They couldn’t catch the Death Eater, though. My aunt and uncle are furious, of course, and so scared…” he said.

Ginny could hear emotion in his voice, but she wasn’t quite sure why it was there. She didn’t know if Harry was angry or sad or scared or even a combination of the three. She had never heard Harry talk about his family before.

“I’m sorry,” Ginny said. She hesitated a moment, then covered Harry’s hand with hers, trying to convey her love and support in the gesture. Harry rubbed his fingers against her knuckles.

“What are you going to do?” she asked.

Harry stared absently at the sloping ceiling in the bedroom, still gripping her hand.

“I’m going after her,” he said softly.

“What?”

“Bellatrix Lestrange. She did it. I’m going after her. Tomorrow.”

A/N: Please review! Did you like it...or not?