Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Eloise Midgen and the Acute Acne by eowyngirl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sorry about the huge wait, but I have been unbelieveably busy, especially for being out of school! I'm curious to see how people react to this chapter... so please review. Thanks to my beta, MollyWeasley, for her wonderful insight and her clear head!
The next morning, neither Eloise nor Marietta felt like going to breakfast (or anywhere else for that matter), but they knew they had to. If they missed any more class, McGonagall or one of the other teachers would be sure to give them detentions. Reluctantly, they made their way down to the Great Hall. As they entered, both girls kept their heads down, thinking they would probably be the subject of gossip because of what had happened between Patrick and Marietta. Even though there hadn't been anyone else on the Astronomy Tower, the gossip was sure to leak out somehow.

Marietta and Eloise sat down by Hannah Abbott, as she was one of the few not craning her neck to get a good look at them as they entered. As the two girls sat down, Hannah turned to speak to Marietta.

"Marietta, I'm really sorry about Patrick. I heard about what he said, and you deserve better. He doesn't know what he's talking about, not one bit." Hannah smiled reassuringly.

"Thanks, but I don't think the rest of them see it that way," Marietta said, gesturing to the other students. "Everyone else seems to think Patrick's the one that deserves better, not me."

"Well, they're wrong," said Hannah. "Oh, did I tell you I heard from Jenny?" Jenny had been a good friend of Marietta and Hannah's through second year, but after her mother died during their third year, she and her father moved to America to join the rest of the family.

"No, how's she doing?" Marietta asked, curious. "I haven't gotten a letter from her in a long time."

"Yeah, she's great. She said she had enrolled at another wizarding school near St. Louis, Missouri, wherever that is. Apparently it's not nearly as big as Hogwarts, though."

Marietta nodded. "What else did she say?"

"Oh, lots. She talked about her family in America and what they're like--all sorts of things, really. You can read the letter sometime today when you get a chance," Hannah offered.

"Thanks, I appreciate it." Marietta noticed Eloise staring aimlessly off into the distance. "Eloise, you alright?"

Eloise jumped, startled. "Oh, yeah, I'm fine."

"I'm sorry, Eloise, I didn't mean to leave you out," Hannah apologized. "I guess I was so excited about hearing from Jenny that I forgot to include you. Sorry."

Eloise looked rather surprised that someone had actually apologized for leaving her out. "Oh, that's alright. I was sort of in my own world anyway."

Hannah nodded. "So, do you think Marietta should talk to Patrick more or completely freeze him out?"

Eloise shrugged. "I don't know... I guess it depends on what happens today with classes and things. Who knows, maybe you guys will be back together by the end of today," she said optimistically.

"Oh, I don't know," Marietta said morosely, "I was thinking I might take it easy for a while in the boy department. I'm sick of fighting."

"Right," Hannah agreed. "Well, we should probably get to class pretty soon. We don't want to be late."

Hannah and Marietta talked as they made their way to first class while Eloise thought as she walked.

I wonder why Hannah's being so friendly to me suddenly, she wondered. I mean, she's never been rude, but she's never paid that much attention to me either. Maybe it has something to do with Susan, since she's Hannah's best friend. But what could Susan have to do with anything? She's never talked to me any more than Hannah. Could Hannah feel sorry for me? I don't know...Maybe she does, but I hope not. I don't want anyone's pity. Well, what does it matter why she's talking to me? Eloise sighed.

What really matters it what the bloody hell is wrong with Patrick--he's been acting so weird lately. I thought he really liked Marietta, but now he's dropping her at the slightest notice. I didn't think he was clueless, but it appears that I was wrong, because there's no other reason a boy would first act like the perfect boyfriend and then turn around and dump the girl like he doesn't know what he wants. Boys are complete idiots sometimes, but I bet Marietta will go right back to him--she's so forgiving. Too forgiving; he doesn't deserve it.

And speaking of boys, what about James? He seems really nice, and I like him well enough as a friend,, but why's he talking to me? There are plenty of other, prettier girls to talk to--why waste your time on a zitty, unpopular girl like me? Marietta says he's not just being nice, but she can't be right. I don't see how--


Marietta's voice interrupted her thoughts. "Eloise?"

"Sorry, were you saying something?" Eloise realized that they had stopped walking and were now in front of Professor Flitwick's classroom.

"I just asked you... oh, never mind. Are you sure you're okay? You seem really spacey this morning," Marietta said, concerned.

"No, I'm fine... I was just thinking."

"About what?" Marietta prompted.

"Things," Eloise said evasively.

Marietta grinned. "James?"

Eloise rolled her eyes. "Partly, but--"

"I knew it! I knew you liked him!" Marietta exclaimed rather loudly, causing a passing group of first-years to jump and turn their heads.

"Oh, just shut up! I was about to say that I was also thinking about Patrick, and how he's such an idiot," Eloise replied heatedly, "and if you had let me finish, you would know that!"

Marietta raised her eyebrows. "Come on, Eloise, I was just joking. No need to get mad."

"I'm having a bit of a hard time right now, and anyway, I hardly ever get mad at you! It's not like I'm always in your face about every little thing, which is what you're insinuating. Just stop it, okay? I'm sick of this!" Eloise stomped into the Charms classroom, leaving Hannah and Marietta completely bewildered.

"What in the world is wrong with her?" Hannah wondered.

Eloise thought, Wow... I didn't expect that. I've been really stressed lately, I guess. I don't think I feel like talking to anyone much for the rest of the day, but I did overreact quite a bit. I'll make sure I apologize later... Everything will be fine.

*****

Eloise didn't speak to Marietta for the rest of the day, and Marietta was so offended by this that she made a point of not noticing Eloise at all and not sitting anywhere near her at lunch. See how she likes not having any friends, she thought nastily. I like her well enough, but she gets so offended by the littlest things! It's so annoying sometimes. Marietta even took it so far as to sit by Renny during Transfiguration.

"I thought you were friends with Nosy," Renny said as Marietta sat down.

"We had a fight," Marietta said simply. "I just want to make her mad."

Renny nodded. "Makes sense, I guess." She laughed. "I certainly seem to make her mad."


Marietta shook her head. Maybe she had taken things too far, but she wasn't particularly sorry. In fact, she had rather enjoyed talking to Renny.

*****

After her last class of the day, Muggle Studies, Eloise rushed out only to run straight into someone, dropping all of her books in the process. She glanced up to see that it was James.

"Oh, sorry," Eloise muttered. "I wasn't looking where I was going."

James grinned and handed her the dropped books. "That's fine. I wasn't looking where I was going either." His grin faded when he saw the look on Eloise's face. "What's wrong? You look like you're about to cry."

"Marietta and I had a fight. It's nothing, really," Eloise said morosely.

"Doesn't sound like nothing to me," James sympathized. He added, "Come on, I'll walk you to the Great Hall."

Eloise shrugged a shoulder. "I-I really don't feel like eating. Sorry."

James nodded. "Oh, no problem. I don't think I'd have much of an appetite either, if I were you," he said. "Hey, have you ever been down by the lake at night?" James asked suddenly.

"No, are you crazy?" Eloise said incredulously. "You'd get caught."

"Not necessarily."

"Oh? And how wouldn't you get caught?" Eloise said doubtfully.

"Easy. There's a door you can go out down that corridor over there. Nobody can see you, especially if you go very, very quickly. Come on, I'll show you."

"I really don't know..."

"It's fine. If it helps, if we get caught- which we won't- I'll take all the blame. And dinner's not even over yet," James coaxed.

"Oh, all right."

James grinned. "Great! Come on, this way."

James led Eloise down a corridor, turned left through a tapestry, and was just about to turn left down another corridor when they heard footsteps coming toward them.

"We're going to get caught..." Eloise muttered frantically as they looked for somewhere to hide. Finally, James found a broom cupboard and pulled Eloise in, shutting the door. The two sat in silence until they heard the footsteps pass. Eloise realized she'd been holding her breath and let it out.

"D'you reckon they're gone?" James whispered. Eloise shrugged.

James opened the door a little and looked out. "It's safe," he said as he opened the door the rest of the way and got out. Eloise followed, and they resumed walking.

"Sorry, I didn't think there would be anyone wandering around during dinner," James apologized.

"I don't mind. After all, we didn't get caught."

"I wonder who it was. Probably Filch--I don't think he ever eats or sleeps. Now come on, out this door here." James opened a very inconspicuous door that Eloise probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise, as it looked exactly like the rest of the wall, except for the doorknob sticking out. As Eloise looked rather doubtful, James went through the door first, saying, "It's fine, Eloise. Just this short passageway and we're outside."

Eloise frowned doubtfully, but followed him anyway. As they walked down the dirt passageway, she asked, "Are you quite sure this is the right way? You didn't get lost, did you?"

"'Course not. I know this castle nearly as well as the Weasley twins, and I've been down here loads of times. It's great for relaxing."

"Yeah, nearly getting caught by Filch really calms me after a long day," Eloise replied sarcastically.

James merely smiled and said, "You'll see."

When they finally arrived at the end of the passageway, James opened a small trapdoor in the dirt ceiling and climbed out, Eloise right behind him.

As Eloise's head came out of the tunnel, she couldn't believe her eyes. She was next to the castle wall, facing the most breathtaking scene she had ever seen. She was looking out on the lake, and across the water, the sun was just beginning to set, casting an orangey light on the Forbidden Forest and Hagrid's Hut.

"It's beautiful," she breathed. "How did you know--?"

James grinned. "I found it by accident first year when I was running from Filch. For weeks, I couldn't find it again, but I finally did and I've been coming here ever since when I was really mad or stressed. I thought you might like it."

"It's breathtaking. I had no idea you could get out here. And you're right, there's no way anyone could see us from the castle. They'd have to come walking all the way around here, and there's no reason for anyone to be up here. The Quidditch Pitch and the greenhouses are in a completely different direction." Eloise sat back against the stone wall.

"See, I told you it was alright. When it gets dark, we can go down to the lake, if you like."

"I can't tonight. Sorry, but I've got loads of homework. Some other time?" Eloise asked hopefully.

"That'd be great." James replied, and the two sat talking until dark, when they went back inside.

As Eloise walked back to the Hufflepuff common room, she wasn't thinking about Marietta, Patrick, or anything in particular. For once, Eloise Helena Midgen was not only content, but happy to be herself.