Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Perfect Mistake by Lady Snuffles

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: A/N: Now y’all have got to give me a break here. This is my first not H/G or R/Hr fic that I’ve written so be nice to me. First chapter’s on it's way up! Love and Secrets.


I swear I haven't abandoned this story! I know it's been a while but this is the only chapter that I had written and I didn't really think it would get accepted when it did. Once it was accepted gymnastics season started, then I made the play in early March and I haven't gotten around to any writting since November. But DON'T worry! I will be back to write this quite soon!


“We can’t keep this from out parents!”

“They don't need to know right away. Don’t you know how angry they will be?” He’d never meant for this to happen.

“I do know that, but it isn’t going to be an easy thing to keep from them. It’s not something that can be well hidden,” Adhara said, just as nervous as Sirius.

“Listen...I’m late for class. I have to go. It’s Defense Against the Dark Arts; if I miss one thing the next day is hell. I’ll talk to you tonight at seven, I promise. I love you.” Sirius wanted to stay and comfort his girlfriend but he needed to leave as fast as possible, for the sake of his future; the future that he easily could have just ruined.

“Alright, fine...and Sirius?” she called back to him once he was at the door.

“Yeah?” he asked back with concern.

“I love you too. ”Sirius gave her a comforting smile and left for Defense Against the Dark Arts. He tried not to think about what he just found out for the rest of the day...he failed miserably.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Adhara found Sirius waiting in their storeroom. She glanced around at the less-than-cozy looking space. Every type of furniture that was in the castle was in this room. Couches, mattresses, tables, chairs, footstools...and the list went on. The only difference from the rest of the castle’s furniture, was most of the room’s contents were barely useable. There were couches that had slashes through the cushions, chairs with only two legs so that they tipped too far in one direction to sit, and mattresses that spit out feathers when you sat on them. Although it was not the most comforting sight, they had found that the room could be very generous. Although that is how they got into the situation they were in now.

She greeted him with a sweet kiss on the lips. “We need to talk about what we are going to do about this,” Adhara pushed on as if the day’s classes hadn’t interrupted their conversation.

“I told you, we don’t need to tell them right away.” Sirius had no idea what they were going to do. He didn’t know what to tell her. It would only be their two-year anniversary in one week. And this already? It couldn’t be happening. He couldn’t bring himself to believe it.

“But, when are we going to tell them that I’m pregnant then, Sirius? When it shows? When!?” Adhara was extremely frustrated. Her usually pale face was now red with frustration.

“I don’t know! I wish I did, but I don’t know!” Sirius reached for Adhara’s hand and held it tight. “I love you and nothing will ever change that. Even something or someone as...unexpected as this.”

She embraced Sirius and they stood there holding each other, Adhara crying gently into Sirius’s shoulder, Sirius stroking her back. All too soon it was nine o’clock and they parted, giving each other one last kiss to hold them over until the next morning.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

When daylight came, they greeted each other with the same sweet kiss. It was Adhara’s turn to eat at the Gryffindor table with Sirius. They tried as hard as possible to show that nothing was out of the ordinary, but of course Danny new better; Danny knew everything. Or at least she knew when she didn’t.

“Danny, there is nothing wrong! We’re fine!” Sirius was agitated by his cousin’s constant badgering.

“I know there is something going on! Please tell me!” Danny wanted to know, her mind told her that she needed to know and she wouldn’t rest until she did.

“Uh, Sirius I’m going to go to the, er bathroom,” that was Adhara’s way of telling Sirius to keep his mouth shut and go to the storeroom.

Sirius snuck in the door a few minutes behind her.

“I think Danny should know,” Adhara told him looking at the floor. “She’d be so hurt if she found out any other way...and I think she’ll be able to help.”

“We might as well, she’ll figure it out sooner or later.” Sirius shrugged it off; at this point, if it makes Adhara happy, I’m all for it.

“I just wish this never happened. I wish I could go back in time and do everything over.” Adhara whispered with tears silently streaming down her face. Sirius wished he could do things differently, not everything, but some things. He gently pulled Adhara close to him and tried to lessen her tears before they left for classes.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Later that night, Sirius, Adhara, and Danny were all in the storeroom. Danny was extremely eager to know what was going on...until Sirius actually told her.

“You’re what!?” Danny screeched.

“She’s, er...pregnant,” Sirius mumbled again.

“When did you find out?” Danny didn’t know what to feel. She was angry at them for getting themselves into that situation, and yet she felt so bad for all the trouble they’d inevitably have to go through.

“I found out yesterday morning.” Adhara tried to put a brave face on. She could feel the tears building up in her eyes and it was only the first thing she had said. How she was going to make it through the rest of the conversation with Danny was next to impossible in her eyes.

Sirius held out his hand for Adhara to hold. It was the one thing he knew would comfort her at this point.

“What about your parents? Are you even going to tell them?” Danny asked in almost a whisper. Then looking straight at Sirius, louder and even more seriously she said, “Oh Merlin. Your dad is going to kill you.”

“I actually have a feeling that my mum will have a bigger part in that than my dad.” Sirius could just picture his mother, Mrs. Walburga Black, screaming at him until he fell over unconscious. Disregarding his disturbing thought Sirius said, “We aren’t sure what to do...you know how they’ll be.” He pushed his dark hair out of his face. “It’s not like my parents are going to disown me again...It’s not even something they’ll have to know if I don’t want them too.”

“Sirius Black. If my parents are finding out, so are yours,” Adhara demanded.

“Well, if not your parents, you need to tell a teacher or someone! You need h-” Danny was interrupted by both Sirius and Adhara yelling the same things.

“WE CAN’T TELL ANYBODY! YOU CAN’T LET ANYONE KNOW!”

“Okay, okay. I won’t tell a soul. I understand, but I want you to realize that someone other than me will find out someday.”

Coincidentally, and even ironically, they heard hurried footsteps running away from the door of the room in which they stood. Sirius whipped out his wand and wrenched open the door ready to curse, jinx or just inflict pain on whomever was eavesdropping outside, until the memory was erased from their mind. Unfortunately, when Sirius looked down the left hallway, right hallway and the hallway straight ahead, all he saw were the metal suits of armor. The girls gasped at the thought of the school knowing about Sirius and Adhara’s secret. When it was finally nine o’clock they promptly left and went straight to their separate dormitories without another word, in fear of someone else finding out.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If there ever had been any hope that the eavesdropper hadn’t told anyone about the pregnancy, there was none left now. The next morning while Sirius and Adhara went to breakfast in the great hall, everyone they passed whispered and stared at them with curious eyes. The entire school, minus the staff, knew the ‘rumor’ but the only people who actually knew it was true were Sirius, Adhara, Danny and the mysterious snoop. The couple decided that their best chance to avoid entire humiliation was to deny it. While eating breakfast Sirius told Adhara and Danny to meet him at eight, “You know where.” After they hastily finished breakfast, they went to their classes as if nothing were different and pretended not to hear the obnoxious whispering going about the castle. When it was almost eight o’clock Sirius headed to the storeroom to meet his cousin and girlfriend.

“This is the worst thing that could possibly happen!” Adhara moaned frantically.

“I still say you should tell a teacher, or forgive me for saying, but tell your parents, before they ‘hear the rumor’ from someone else.” Danny was so much like a counselor sometimes it scared them.

“Danny, we’ve told you we can’t do that right now.” Adhara was becoming more and more annoyed with her friend’s constant pestering, no matter how innocent.

“I’m starting to think Danny’s right, Adhara. I...I think we should tell our parents before they hear it from someone else. This is a major dilemma. Think about it, they would try to confront us. Don’t you think they’d get angrier if they had to ask us than if we tell them first? If we just go with it and...tell them, it won’t be such a...a shock, I guess.” Sirius was irritated by how Danny was always right about everything, all the time.

“Well, if we do tell them, when and how are we going to go about it then? I seriously don’t think I could look my parents straight in the eye and say, “Mum, Dad, I’m pregnant and I’m having Sirius Black’s baby.” I don’t think you could tell them either so don’t tell me that you’ll do it for me,” Adhara said forcefully as Sirius opened his mouth to say just that.

“Then, I think the only option we have is to write to them and wait for the millions upon millions of Howlers they’ll owl back.” Sirius gave a slight grin and then gave Adhara a hug.

Suddenly, Danny conjured up two rolls of parchment, two quills, and an inkpot. She laid them on the least damaged table and pulled up three semi-useable chairs. “Start now. The sooner the better...and we have plenty of time before we need to leave.” Adhara and Sirius did as they were told and sat down to write their families the shock of a lifetime.

That night they sent one owl each, to the Number Nine Major Mansion and to Number Twelve Grimmauld Place. Many lives were drastically different now. For good or bad was the question on everyone’s mind.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Addy?” Danny asked from under her covers. “Are the lights going off anytime soon?”

“Yeah Dan, sorry,” Adhara answered from her own blankets.

“What are you doing anyways...I don’t think that Darren is going to let you skip out on Saturday morning practice to sleep in because you were up at two in the morning doing whatever it is you’re doing...what are you doing anyways?”

“I’m writing the letter to my mum that says not to let my dad see the other letter that Sirius and I sent.”

“You know that it would be a lot easier if you just told Sirius that your dad be-”

“NO DANNY!” Adhara hissed. She looked down to the floor, realizing her sudden outburst. “I’m sorry Danny. It’s not you I’m angry with, I just...I don’t want Sirius to know. Okay?”

Danny climbed out of her bed and walked unsteadily to her friend’s side. She climbed under Adhara’s covers as she said, “Sirius would stop your dad from doing that.”

She nodded her head slowly. “In a way, Sirius already has. He’s asked me to move in with him at his flat in Diagon Alley once school is over. I agreed. The only times I’ll ever be around my dad is with a whole group of people. We’ll never be alone long enough for him to hurt me again.”

“Well, why won’t you tell Sirius then?” Danny asked slowly.

“Because he doesn’t need to know,” Adhara answered heavily.

“It would be an important thing for him to know,” Danny said. Sensing she was losing the battle, again, she added, “He’d never take advantage of you like that...you know that right?”

“Of course I do!” she answered.

Danny continued, “And he wouldn’t think any less of you.”

“I know.”

“Then why won’t you tell him?”

She stopped to let Adhara find her words. “Danny, you don’t know what it’s like...to be hit. To be kicked. To be yelled at and cursed at and looked down upon as if you were a stray dog...” Tears were threatening to spill over her cheeks again. “If you knew what it was like you’d understand,” she whispered, the dams in her eyes breaking, releasing the river that was bound to fall into her lap.

“Oh, Addy. Come here,” Danny requested, lightly wrapping her arms around her friend. “I may not know what it’s like to be abused, but I sure as hell know how it feels to tell people about my weakest moments; my greatest fears. The one thing I’ve got to remember is that no matter how small I felt at the time, I conquered it by being strong enough to stand up, look into the face of my fear, and spit in it, just to prove I could make it that far. I told someone about it and that makes me better than what happened.” Danny took Adhara’s arms from her shoulders and looked into her eyes.

“D-Danny, why d-do you always know wh-what to s-say?” Adhara asked through her tear-streaked face.

“I don’t know...Merlin knows it’s not genetic.” They laughed slightly, knowing very well that both sides of her family were not the brightest of wizards. “Are you going to tell Sirius then?”

Adhara nodded her head wiping her eyes. “I will, just not quite yet. In the meantime, I’ve still got a letter to write, so I’ll get to it.”

“How far are you?”

Adhara sniffed and cleared her throat, “Ahem...Dear Mum,” Adhara stopped and looked to her friend for support.

Danny waited for Adhara to go on but she didn’t. “That’s it?” Danny asked. Adhara dropped her head solemnly.

Danny just shook her head and laughed. “Well, there are less corrections for me to make this way.” She took the parchment from her friend and began writing.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sirius couldn’t sleep, again. He was sitting at the window ledge, just sitting...just thinking. It had been nearly four days since he found out he was going to be a father, yet it was just now hitting him with the full effect. We’re going to need to buy a crib, and bottles...and clothes...hell. I’m going to need to get a job soon too. We can’t live off of my savings forever. At least I don’t think we can.

“Sirius. Do you know what time it is?” James asked from his bed.

“No,” he answered honestly. He knew he had been there for a long time...long enough to lose track of it anyways.

“Well, it’s after three. Are you going to bed at all tonight?”

“No,” he answered again.

“Why not?” James asked with concern.

Sirius sighed and tore his gaze away from the window. Instead of just answering James’s question, he asked, “What would you do if you made a mistake...a wonderful, amazing, breath taking, and terrifying mistake that involved you and Lily, and you knew it would change your life forever, most probably for the bad?”

James thought about his answer and slowly said, “It would depend on what the mistake was.”

Giving in, Sirius took a deep breath and said, “I made a big, terrific, and frightening mistake Prongsie. Adhara and I are going to have a baby.”

There was silence for a long while before James looked him dead in the eyes and said, “Then I would still be happy because my life is moving just a little bit faster than I planned it to.”