Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Perfect Mistake by Lady Snuffles

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sirius and Adhara head home from Hogwarts for the last time. What do they do on their first day back?

Thanks for all the great reviews of the first chapter. They inspired me to keep going with this story. Here is chapter two. I hope you enjoy.
Disclaimer: If you all really think I would (let alone could) try to pass this stuff off as my own then y’all are all crazy.


“Thank you all for another marvelous year at Hogwarts. To our returning first through sixth year students, have a great summer, and I shall see you again next year. To our dear seventh year graduates, I wish you the best of luck with your extra schooling, your upcoming careers, and most importantly your future families. I have watched you all grow to become such wonderful young adults in the last seven years. There is no other group of people that I’d feel more confident with, fighting in this war. I know when I say, we will miss you dearly, I am speaking not only for myself, but also for the rest of the staff and students you are leaving behind this year. The very best of luck to you all.” With that said, Dumbledore took his seat again and the students all left the Great Hall.

Sirius, Adhara, James, Danny, Lily, Lupin, and Peter found themselves their own compartment on the Hogwarts Express. Frequently, other friends would stop by and give their final goodbye’s, or a quick congratulation. Many stories and tears were shared on that train ride and not a single person wanted to round the final bend that would take them back to Kings Cross Station and into the real world.

Once they arrived in London, everyone gave each other a tearful goodbye. For the most part, families were going into hiding so friends were saying goodbye as if it were the last time they’d ever see each other. Many people were walking with faces set for death; Wether it be for themselves or others, everyone seemed prepared. Life would be completely different now for the graduates of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Adhara and Sirius had made plans for the following few days. The first thing they were going to do was go to St. Mungo’s to make sure the baby was in good health and to see wether it was a boy or girl. Adhara would then go home and talk with her parents about moving in with Sirius while he was going to go to the flat that he had bought and make it liveable for the two of them. The day after, Sirius was going to go to Adhara’s house and help her pack her things, then take them to the flat. The following day they were going to get all of their friends together and tell them about the baby.

So far the plan seemed flawless; that was how little they knew.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Adhara’s house was empty when she came home that evening. There was a note on the kitchen counter telling her that her mother and father had gone out to a party with the Minister of Magic and they were expected home late. Typical, she thought to herself.

She went up to her room and began to unpack, but stopped remembering that she wouldn’t be staying more than a few days at most. Adhara was about to call on a house elf to fix her a small dinner, but changed her mind, deciding it would be best to get used to cooking her own food. She and Sirius wouldn’t have a house elf at their flat. They simply couldn’t afford it.

Not wanting to wait up for her parents, she ate and went right to sleep.

Adhara had terrible dreams that night. Some about losing the baby, or Sirius dying. One even about Sirius leaving her and their baby out on the street. Every time she woke up in a cold sweat, she heard the faint sound of a baby crying; Then the eerie silence of the house would shake her almost as much as the sound of her child sobbing.

The next morning when she woke she went straight downstairs to the coffee pot to shake off the night’s scares. Another note replaced the one from the evening before.

Addy,

I’m glad to see you’re home and well. Please don’t wake me or your father unless it’s an urgent matter. I’ll talk to you when I wake up.

Much love from,
Mum


In response to this, Adhara left a note of her own saying that she had gone for a walk and would be back before lunchtime. She walked alone for nearly an hour before she took a seat on a park bench. She checked her watch. 8:49. Knowing that Sirius would be arriving shortly she hugged her knees and rested her chin on them as she watched a mother duck teach her flock of ducklings how to swim around the pond. She wondered what it would be like to teach her child to swim.

Adhara’s face slowly spread into a smile as she thought about all the things that she and Sirius would get to teach their baby. She thought of how much Sirius would love to show their child how to fly a broomstick and swing a bludger bat.

Questions flew into her head. Would it be a boy or girl? What would it’s first word be? First magic? How long would it be until it walked? Would it be blonde like her or dark haired like Sirius? Short or tall? She was still thinking of all these things when Sirius sat down next to her.

“I haven’t seen you this happy since I asked you to move in with me,” he said with a pleasantly surprised expression on his face. He put his arm around her and kissed her on the cheek. “What are you thinking about?”

Adhara smiled slyly and answered, “The baby...do you think it’ll be a boy or girl?” she asked excitedly.

“A girl,” he stated after a moment of thoughtful silence. This made her smile even more prominent, finally reaching her eyes.

For nearly an hour they talked about anything and everything to do with their child. For the first time they talked about their future with hope and joy instead of dread and worry. At quarter to ten they left for the hospital.

Adhara would never forget the look on Sirius’ face when the healer told them that the baby was in fact a girl. Sirius would never forget how happy he felt in that moment. The mere idea of a little girl running around the place was a dream come true to him. By the time they had left the hospital they had gotten down to two names.

“Rose is a perfect name.”

“Could you imagine the how much she’d get teased if she had red hair? And what kind of a nick name would she get? They might as well just call her ‘Flower.’”

“What nickname would she get from Destiny?” Sirius argued.

“She...er...well...” Adhara faltered slightly before saying, “She wouldn’t need one because Destiny is a far better name than Rose.”

With their debate still going on they went their separate ways for the day. Once she was back at home, she found her mother awake in the kitchen waiting for a very strong cup of coffee.

“Addy dear, how are you?” Adhara’s mother asked brightly.

“Amazing Mum. Just great. How about you?”

“I’ve been better. Your dad’s snores woke me up earlier than I wanted to. What’s put you in such a nice mood? Were you spending time with that Black boy again?”

“Mother, I’ve asked you to call him Sirius, and yes I was. We were just at the hospital.” Before she could even think of containing herself she said, “It’s a girl!”

Adhara’s mother smiled a little before saying, “I’m glad that you’ve turned your mistake into a positive matter. That’ll help you get through it.” A quiet moment passed as she stirred her cream into her coffee. “The baby’s healthy then? No problems?”

“None at all. She’s scheduled to be born in early January.”

“Do you have a name picked out yet?”

“We can’t decide between Rose and Destiny. Which do you like better.” Adhara asked her mother.

After a sip of coffee she answered, “It’ll depend on who she looks like I think. If she takes after you it should be Rose, in my opinion.”

Adhara nodded as she helped herself to an apple. She wondered whether or not she should bring up moving out right then. Her mother was in such a great mood and was taking the pregnancy so much better than she had expected her to...did she dare risk it? After what seemed like forever, she decided she had better get it done and over with.

“Mum, I’ve been meaning to tell you for a while now...I’d have written it in a letter but I wanted to tell you in person.” She stopped here as she saw her mothers shoulders straighten up. “I’m moving out. Sirius bought a flat in London and he asked me to move in with him and after all that’s happened I think I should so...I’m leaving.”

Her mother relaxed a little before saying, “I think that’s for the best.” She gave her daughter a hug and a kiss on the head before getting up to leave the kitchen. “I’m going to go wake up your father...when are you planning on telling him all of this?”

Adhara’s stomach lurched at the thought of it. “Today or tomorrow.”

“The sooner the better.”


Chapter Endnotes: Sorry about the extended lenght between posting the first chapter of this story and sending this one in. Between school, work, shows, and real life, there sadly hasn't been a ton of writing time. ;_-(