Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Of Christmas Past by Chaser921

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I'm sorry this took longer than last time, but at least it's better than a year, right? School's almost over - I'll be a lot better about posting over the holidays.
Harry looked up from the conversation he was having with his parents to see Hermione and Ron descending the stairs, hand in hand. He grinned.

–So, all’s well in paradise, then?” he called to them. Ron’s ears instantly turned red as he nodded, and Hermione tried to hide her smile.

–Yeah…yeah, everything’s fine now,” Ron said, glancing at Hermione.

–We’re officially dating,” she announced to the room, raising their joined hands. No one even pretended to be surprised, not even Remus and Sirius, who’d only known them for an hour or so.

–Yeah, I officially asked her to be my girlfriend,” Ron said proudly. –Just now, upstairs in the guest room…” He frowned suddenly. –Wait a minute…there was only one bed in that room.” He turned to James accusingly. –You said there were two when you told me you’d put Harry and my sister in there!”

James looked down sheepishly and scratched the back of his head. –Well…yeah, see, we…erm, just replaced them with the double…so…I, erm, forgot.”

Ron glared at him for a moment, and then turned to Harry, who looked apprehensive. –So, Harry, are you being a gentleman and sleeping on the floor, or do I have to break your nose?”

Harry opened his mouth to reply, but Ginny broke in before he could say anything.

–He tried to be, but I thought it was stupid, especially as the heat wasn’t working. I didn’t want him to freeze to death, so I practically had to force him to get into bed with me,” she said hotly. –Besides,” she continued as her brother’s expression became thunderous. –Harry’s not going to pressure me into anything I don’t want to do! First, he’s a gentleman, and second, if he’d tried, he’d STILL have Bat-Bogeys coming out of his nose and be curled on the floor in a fetal position!”

Every male in the room, even Ron, winced as she said that, though Ron tried to make an argument anyway. –But Ginny, you’re my little sister! I don’t -- –

–You don’t have a choice about the matter, Ron! If I wanted to shag Harry senseless, it would be none of your business! That’s not happening,” she quickly assured him, –but it’s STILL none of your business!”

–But Ginny, you’re not of age yet, you can’t -- –

–Can’t WHAT? I can do whatever I damn well please! When I fought with all of you at the Department of Mysteries and saw Voldemort come back, I stopped being a child. You have no control over me, brother dear, so SHUT IT!”

She glared at him so hard that if her glance had been a physical blow, it would have knocked him into the wall behind him -- Harry placed a hand on her shoulder and drew her back towards him a little.

They stared at each other for a moment, the tension between them crackling and sparking like invisible lightning. Then they heard the sound of a throat clearing.

–Erm…what exactly do you mean by you saw Voldemort come BACK?” Remus asked tentatively, and every head turned towards him. –I mean…he’s here.”

Harry sighed wearily, breaking the tension. –It’s…complicated, Remus, and -- ”

–Isn’t something we can really talk about,” Tonks broke in. –Suffice to say that there are moments of peace, but the war never really ends. Or it hasn’t yet, anyway.”

She glanced over at Harry sympathetically. –Sorry, mate. I’m just -- ”

–Doing your job, I know,” Harry said, smiling weakly at her. –I try not to reveal too much but….that doesn’t always work.”

Sirius and Remus’ eyes had fastened on Tonks when Harry mentioned her job.

–What do you mean, your job?” Remus asked, a slightly accusatory tone in his voice.

–Yeah! What is it that you do, exactly?” Sirius chimed in. The atmosphere in the room had gone from happily warm to coldly distrustful -- if icicles could have formed in that cozy room, they would have.

Tonks sighed and sank wearily back into her seat. –My official position is as an Auror for the Ministry of Defense, but my unofficial job, and the one that Harry’s referring to now, is that I work for the Order of the Phoenix. I’m supposed to do as much as I can to keep Harry and the others from revealing too much about the future, and to get them all home safely on New Year’s Eve. In a way, I guess I’m the Order’s representative here.”

She grinned suddenly. –Really, it’s a bit surprising they trusted me with this, since I’m one of the younger members, and don’t have as much experience as the others. It must just be my awesomeness.”

The silence was broken by Sirius’ bark of laughter, and soon conversation picked up again around the room as Lily and Hermione moved to diffuse the tension. Soon, Tonks was laughing with Remus again, and Sirius was deep in conversation with Harry and James.

–You know, sometimes I wish I could find someone like you have, James,” Sirius said wistfully, looking over at Lily and Ginny, who were sharing a laugh. –All of you seem to have it, really, from what I can tell,” he continued, glancing at Harry, who nodded a silent confirmation.

James gave him a sharp look. –I thought you enjoyed being –the most eligible bachelor in Wizarding London,” as Lily’s Witch Weekly called you last week. You certainly seem like you’re having fun when I catch you in the party pages of The Prophet. –

Sirius waved a hand dismissively. –Oh yeah, I have fun, but…lately it feels a bit hollow, you know? Like something’s missing. And it doesn’t help that everyone around me is getting married and having babies.”

James slapped him on the back, grinning. –It’s ‘cause you’re getting old, Padfoot. Starting to get sentimental.”

–Mrs. Weasley said that it was like that during this time,” Harry ventured. –People getting married quickly because they were afraid to wait because of the war. Maybe that’s why everyone’s pairing off.”

–It does seem kind of like that, now that I think about it,” said Sirius.

James shrugged. –It wasn’t like that for me and Lily, you all know that,” he said. –We were just meant for each other,” he continued with a dreamy smile. –What was the point in waiting?”

Sirius snorted. –She didn’t seem like she was meant for you that time she glued your tongue to the roof of your mouth twice in one day,” he said dryly. –But really, James, you and Lily are perfect for each other. I’m just starting to wish I could find someone like that too, especially with all the other ‘happy couples’ here tonight,” he added as he looked around the room.

Ron and Hermione were snuggled happily together on the sofa, hands clasped. Remus and Tonks were deep in conversation, though it seemed to be a good one as Tonks threw back her head and laughed while Remus gave her a shy smile and brushed his shaggy hair out of his eyes.

Lily walked up behind James right then and slung her arms around his neck. –Hi, sweetheart,” she said, and he turned his head a little to kiss her cheek. –What’re you boys chatting about?”

–Oh, Sirius was just whining about how everyone else is paired up and he’s still single,” James replied, and Lily turned to look at Sirius.

–What about Marlene McKinnon? I thought the two of you really hit it off the other night,” she asked, but Sirius just shrugged.

–We did, but it’s early days yet,” he answered. –I mean, she’s fantastic, but you know, she’s busy and I’m busy…”

–And you’d be perfect for each other if you’d just stop long enough to realize it,” Lily said, interrupting him. –If you’d just make time for each other -- ”

–All right, Lily, all right! I’ll make time, I promise!” he said, and she gave him a satisfied smile.

–Good. Now stop complaining about how alone you are and go see her when you leave here -- I know she’d love to see you, especially as she’s all alone for the holidays too,” Lily said.

Sirius perked up. –I didn’t realize that,” he said. –When she said her parents were going to France to see her sister, I thought she’d be going too.” He smiled roguishly. –Maybe I’ll pay her a Christmas visit after all.”

–You do that,” said Lily. –Meanwhile, I think somebody needs to come meet me under the mistletoe, James.” She pulled him to his feet and dragged him off as Sirius threw a pillow at them.

–Get a room!” he shouted as they disappeared down the hall. Then he sighed.

–I want something like that,” he told Harry quietly. –As much as I fight against it, I really do want something like they have. And what you seem to have with Ginny.” He looked over at Remus and Tonks, whose conversation seemed to have turned more serious. Their hands had crept closer together, though they weren’t quite touching yet. Sirius smiled before turning back to Harry. –Even old Moony’s got someone tonight.”

Harry didn’t know what to say, as he couldn’t exactly reassure Sirius that he’d find the girl of his dreams before it was too late. He simply didn’t know enough about Sirius’ personal life before he ended up in Azkaban, and if he’d met anyone after that, he certainly hadn’t told Harry before he’d fallen through the Veil.

Harry felt his throat close as he thought of that moment, and coughed. –Don’t worry too much, Sirius,” he said, saying the opposite of what he meant. –Just…you know, live. Enjoy the good times -- they’re too short.–

Sirius gave him an odd look, but then smiled and stood. –You know, I think I’ll take your advice, Harry. And as it’s getting late and things seem to be winding down anyway, I think I’ll go wish Marlene a Happy Christmas.”

Harry smiled, though there was still a shadow of sadness there. So many dead…Marlene among them, as he remembered her from the Order photograph that Moody had given him a couple of years ago.

–Oi! James! Lily! Unglue your lips, I’m heading out!” Sirius shouted, stepping over to the fireplace. Remus and Tonks stood to bid him farewell, and he and Remus embraced for a moment before he stuck out a hand to Tonks.

–Bye, Lizzy,” he said as she clasped it. –It was great meeting you, even if only for the night. You’re quite a girl.”

She flashed him a grin. –Don’t worry, Sirius, you’ll see me again. You just may not know it’s me,” she said, and he grinned back. Lily and James hurried up at that moment, and Lily threw her arms around Sirius as James scooped up baby Harry for Sirius to kiss.

–Be careful, all right?” she said when she finally let go. –It’s getting late, and it’s not safe.”

–Don’t worry about me Lily, I’ll be fine,” Sirius assured her as he hugged James and shook Ron, Hermione, and Ginny’s hands. –Be good to my godson,” he told Ginny, half in jest and half in seriousness. –He’s the only one I’ve got.”

–I will, don’t worry. He means the world to me,” Ginny assured him as Harry stepped up to tell him goodbye.

Harry hugged his godfather tightly, his throat closing up and his eyes threatening to water, though he managed to hold them off.

–Bye, Sirius,” he mumbled when he let go. –It…it was great to see you.”

Sirius smiled. –It was great to see you too, Harry. You’ve grown into a fine young man -- I couldn’t ask for a better godson. I even got the best of both worlds tonight,” he said, ruffling baby Harry’s hair before turning back to his older godson. –I love you, Harry, and I’ll always be there for you. Remember that.”

Harry gave him a sad smile and hugged him again for the last time. –I know,” he said quietly, stepping back so that Sirius could duck into the fireplace. –I love you, too, Sirius.”

–Number 4, 126 Harbinger Road,” Sirius shouted, and was gone in a flash of green flame. Harry stared into the fireplace a few moments longer, wishing he’d had more time with Sirius, but grateful that he’d gotten to tell his godfather a proper goodbye at last. Ginny, catching his thoughts, put her arms around him and leaned her head on his shoulder.

–Don’t be sad tonight,” she said softly, and he snaked an arm around her waist to hold her closer.

–I’m not really,” he whispered. –I’m thinking of the good times I got to have with him, and thankful that I at least got to say goodbye.” He kissed her temple, and she squeezed him tighter.

James and Lily watched Harry and Ginny from across the room, sadness in their eyes as they remembered what he’d inadvertently told them a few nights past…

–No, no, I don’t have you or Dad, I lost you both before I could remember you…. I lost you…you and Sirius and Dumbledore...and Cedric…. I tried to save him, I tried, but I just wasn’t fast enough…Sirius, too, and Dumbledore…. I couldn’t save them, any of them, and if they hadn’t been trying to protect me they might not have died….”

–Sirius,” Lily breathed, and James put an arm around her. –Oh James, he lost Sirius too. He won’t be there to take care of him!”

Her eyes suddenly grew bright, and James guided her away from the others and into the kitchen, soothing her the whole time.

–We don’t know that, Lily -- we don’t know when it happens. It sounds like he loses Sirius after he loses us, so maybe he’ll still be around. Hush, darling,” he murmured as she started sobbing quietly.

–My little boy,” she whispered. –My poor, poor, lonely little boy.” She turned into James and buried her face in his shoulder, muffling her tears. James continued to try and soothe her, stroking her hair and whispering encouragement, though his own eyes were shining with unshed tears.

–He’s all by himself, James,” she wept. –He’s all alone, and I can’t be there for him! I can’t take care of him!”

–I know, darling, I know,” James replied, fighting the lump rising in his throat. He couldn’t lose control -- he had to stay strong for Lily.

After a few minutes, she was able to pull herself back together, and they returned to the sitting room to visit with the others a while longer before they left.

Ron and Hermione were the first to make noises about leaving, and Remus and Tonks followed suit when they realized how late it was.

–You be careful,” Lily said as she hugged everyone. –The Death Eaters searching around the house last night may not have left. –

–We’ll be careful, don’t worry. We’re Apparating back, so we should be fine,” Hermione said, though her brow furrowed in thought. –I wish I knew what they were doing, though…they have to know it’s a hopeless search.”

James shrugged. –I dunno, but they didn’t find us, and that’s all that matters to me. That and your safety,” he added. –We don’t want to lose anyone else.”

–Bye James, Lily,” Remus said, hugging his friends. –I’ll see you on New Year’s for the bonfire. Ginny, Harry, it was fantastic meeting you both.”

Harry hugged the man who’d become so much of a father to him before stepping back to let Ginny bring his baby self forward for kisses from everyone.

–Ron, Hermione, it was wonderful meeting you as well,” Remus continued, giving them each warm handshakes. –I hope to see you again in the future.”

–Oh, you will, Professor,” Ron said, laughing, and Hermione shushed him quickly. However, Remus simply raised an eyebrow.

–Professor, hm? Well, it’s certainly a thought, though I doubt it’ll happen any time soon.”

–All things happen in time,” Tonks said as she came up to him. He hesitated, unsure of how to tell her goodbye, but before he could do anything she laughed and threw her arms around him. He smiled and returned the gesture, wrapping her in his arms and holding her tight.

–Goodbye, Lizzy,” he said, wistfully. –I wish we had more time together.”

Tonks pulled back, a thoughtful look on her face, and looked over towards Ron and Hermione, who were waiting impatiently for her.

–You two go on ahead -- I fancy a walk in the moonlight.” She turned back to Remus and smiled. –That is, if the big, bad wolf would like to accompany me?”

Remus started at her jesting mention of his lycanthropy, staring at her incredulously before a smile broke over his face.

–Yes…yes, Lizzy, I’d love to walk you back.” He bared his teeth menacingly. –And woe to any Death Eaters that try to hurt Little Red Riding Hood!”

The others all laughed at the joke, and then Ron and Hermione Disapparated back to the hotel. Tonks grabbed her cloak and tapped it with her wand, changing it from green to a bright, bold red as she swung it around her shoulders.

–Be careful!” Lily said again. –Let us know when you get back -- I don’t want to worry all night!”

–Don’t worry, we will!” Remus told her as he and Tonks walked out the door.

–Goodbye, everyone! Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!” Tonks called out cheerfully, her red cloak flowing behind her.
Chapter Endnotes: Fun fact - Sirius' flat at Number 4, 126 Harbinger Road, is located on the Isle of the Dogs in London's East End.