Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Things Aren't Always Black and White by padfootsgirl1981

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Well, here’s chapter four, folks, sorry about the wait, but judging by the length of this chapter I hope you’ll forgive me. The delay is due to the fact that this particular chapter has had to suffer a couple of rejections, but that’s good I suppose seeing as it is now new and improved :D. Once again a HUGE thanks to my beta reader star_falling13 for her amazing speed and skill. And just as a side note I got my GCSE results two months ago *grins inanely* and I’m proud to say that I did very well indeed. I got 2 B’s, 7 A’s and 2 A*’s *is ecstatic*. So now you know why I had such a long absence between chapters two and three, I was working hard to achieve those results. So, anyway, this chapter is longer than the limit I’m allowed so please make sure that you read both parts one and two of this chapter otherwise you may just be a *bit* confused by the time chapter five rolls around. Enjoy!
Quietly does it, thought James as he crept around the edges of his four poster bed. It was early morning and he was taking every possible precaution to refrain from waking his fellow dorm mates.

Rubbing the sleep from his eyes he did a quick preliminary sweep of the room to find that Remus had already vacated his bed. Tiptoeing over to his trunk at the base of the bed, he hastily withdrew his wash things and eased the lid back down.

As he whirled around on the spot to continue in the direction of the bathroom his big toe collided painfully with the trunk’s side. He had to bite down hard on his knuckle to prevent himself from whimpering out loud.

James hobbled across the room, taking care to avoid the creaky floorboards, and made it, throbbing toe and all, into the bathroom. Ruffling his already tussled hair he stepped into the shower cubicle and hung his towel on the provided hook. He extended out his hand and twisted the shower dial. Nothing happened. Frowning, James hastily twiddled it this way and that, still to no avail.

Many antagonising minutes passed in which James, having had enough of acting logically, resorted to hitting any part of the wretched thing that was within his reach.

It was after one particularly nasty blow that James tried his luck at turning the dial once again. Water spurted so ferociously from the shower head that it managed to catapult itself over to where James had been standing safely in front of the cubicle door.

The cascade of water disappeared just as quickly as it had come, and James was left standing by the door with his pyjama bottoms and baggy t-shirt soaked through to the skin. Cursing, he lunged towards the dial once again but the shower refused to show any further signs of life.

The sound of footsteps echoing on the bathroom’s tiled floor momentarily drew James’ attention away from his stressful predicament.

“Are you alright in there, Prongs?” asked Peter, stifling a yawn.

“No, my bloody shower won’t work!”

“Hang on, I’ll try out one of the other ones,” suggested Peter helpfully.

Running water sounded from James right and he hastily tried out his own shower for the last time.

It worked!

James peeled off his saturated night clothes and jumped underneath the shower’s spray.

Argh! It’s freezing!

*

Remus waved his wand almost lazily at the tumultuous spillage of pumpkin juice that Kirsty had just sent towards the sleeve of his heavily darned robes.

“Sorry!” she apologised with a guilty grin as Remus just managed to Vanish the juice in time.

“No harm done,” he replied kindly, spearing some bacon and scrambled eggs onto his fork. He regarded Kirsty with interest while he chewed his food thoughtfully. Politely swallowing the contents of his mouth before addressing her, Remus pointed out, “If you don’t mind me saying, you seem awfully chipper this morning.”

“And why shouldn’t I be chipper?” she asked, gesturing frantically as she poured out another glass of pumpkin juice (Remus decided against stuffing his wand back inside his robes). “I am back at Hogwarts, my most favourite place in the entire world, I have just had a very fine full English breakfast,” she gestured with her now orange juice free hand at her plate which she was mopping up with what was left of her bread roll. “Lessons start today, which means new, crisp timetables, James has set up Quidditch tryouts for a week today and, best of all, I have a newly filled up glass of chilled orange juice.” She raised said glass to Remus, who was sat across from her, before proceeding to drain the glass abnormally quick.

Remus watched her in loving disbelief. God, that girl can drink like a fish. “So, your new found chirpiness has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that we might be given the privilege of a Defence against the Dark Arts lesson at some point during the day?” he teased.

Kirsty blushed slightly; Remus guessed that this was due to the fact that she had been caught out more than anything. “Well, I must admit that MacIntosh factors in the chirpiness,” she relented with a cheeky grin before they were joined by another of their associates, seeing as Lily had finally decided to grace the two of them with her presence. “Morning!” cried Kirsty chirpily as Lily approached them and took her seat beside her.

Lily grumbled in reply and pulled porridge towards her.

Kirsty looked at Remus and he shrugged. Lily was clearly feeling cantankerous towards mornings today.

“But surely,” began Kirsty continuing their conversation and concurrently choosing to ignore Lily, “even you can see how good looking MacIntosh is.”

“Kirst, seeing as I’m a guy, I am going to give you the age old response and say that I don’t find any men remotely attractive-“

“Except for Sirius,” she interjected, the corners of her mouth twitching.

“Oh, of course, but he’s rather a different manner. I mean, everybody fancies Padfoot,” he informed her wryly.

“But what if you were a girl? What would you think then?” she asked, looking as if she was trying very hard to contain her laughter.

“Oh, if I was a girl I’d definitely have a crush on MacIntosh,” he replied completely deadpan.

Kirsty let out a roar of appreciative laughter, and she was still hiccoughing when Peter showed up with his eyes puffy and his robes on back to front.

After Remus had pointed this out to him, Peter stood and sorted himself out while members of the Slytherin table jeered from across the hall.

When Peter had taken his seat beside Lily, blushing furiously, and pulled the plate of sausages towards him, Remus saw that Kirsty was pretending to be lining up the bowl of porridge with something, or more likely, someone behind him. He turned and saw that it was Mulciber, one of the Slytherins who had jeered the loudest at Peter, who was currently in danger of being in the line of fire.

“We really should do something about them,” piped up Peter, indicating the Slytherins. “They’re starting to act like they own the place.”

Remus cast a cautionary glance at Lily to see what her reaction had been to this, but either she hadn’t been listening or she’d finally realised that no matter what she did, their constant pranks would never cease to be an issue. Seeing that she hadn’t had any objection, Remus carried on regardless, “Oh, no doubt we’ll think of a way to get at them later. I bet Padfoot and Prongs will have a few suggestions.”

As he said this, Remus saw Kirsty push the porridge bowl back to its original place, all the while feigning dejection. He laughed heartily due to the comic air in which she had done so, and Kirsty, realising that he had seen her antic, laughed quietly along with him.

In the lull that followed, Kirsty sat looking at the kipper plate with disdain. Remus watched as she experimentally jabbed one of the kippers with the end of her fork.

“You can’t still be hungry, surely?” marvelled Remus.

“Oh, no!” she replied, looking horrified. “And even if I was, having kippers would definitely be scraping the bottom of the barrel. I mean, I don’t really like fish at the best of times, but eating it for breakfast is just so… so… unnatural,” she finished with a look of revulsion.

“I gather you don’t like kippers then?” chuckled Remus.

“Who doesn’t like kippers?” came James’ querying voice, announcing the arrival of the two remaining Marauders.

James looked the brightest and most alert of the two, but then even he looked a bit rough around the edges. Sirius was at completely the opposite end of the scale. His robes looked as if he had just thrown them on without much thought, the collar of his shirt was up, his tie was nowhere to be seen and his hair had that ruffled just-rolled-out-of-bed look about it. But even as Sirius entered the room, Remus saw many a fan girl’s gaze flicker in his direction. Typical Padfoot, he thought incredulously, even when he’s looking like an unkempt slob, he attracts attention. Remus had to admit though that what counted in his mind as an ‘unkempt slob’ probably counted in the minds of the fan girls as ‘ruggedly handsome sex God’.

James threw himself down next to Remus and dragged the plate of kippers towards him, earning himself a look of incredulous distaste from Kirsty, whereas Sirius, settling himself down besides James, merely contented himself with a glass of pumpkin juice.

Puzzled, Remus asked James, “What are you doing up so late anyway? I always had you down as the epitome of an early bird.”

“Well,” began James, still munching on his kippers, “I actually got up not long after you left,” he nodded his head at Remus, “but the shower was giving me jip. It wouldn’t work, no matter what I did. It wasn’t until Wormtail came in and turned his on that mine showed any signs of wanting to come to life. And when it finally did come to life, it was cold!”

“Aw, bless,” laughed Kirsty.

“And you, Padfoot?” Remus continued to enquire, now spreading on some marmalade as well for good measure. “Why are you up at this ungodly hour? I half expected not to see you until you rolled in five minutes late to the first lesson.”

“And you bloody well would have done,” grumbled Sirius, “if James hadn’t woken me up with his continuous clanking and cursing from the bathroom.”

Remus laughed along with Kirsty and Lily, who had finally started to show some signs of life.

After a while, Kirsty, who knew full well that Sirius didn’t generally like to eat much, if anything, at breakfast, had taken it upon herself to bug him by forcing the plate of sausages in front of his face repeatedly.

“Oh, for God’s sake, Kirst, pack it in, I can take a hint!” he exclaimed, pulling the cornflakes towards him resignedly. “I hate morning people.” he grumbled as he began shovelling cornflakes into his mouth.

“Especially when they come in the form of a Miss Kirsty White?” offered Peter.

“Yes, especially then!” he agreed with enthusiasm.

Kirsty looked affronted.

“Oooh, Hayley!” Kirsty suddenly squealed, pointing to a spot behind Remus’ head.

He turned sharply to look at the point which Kirsty’s outstretched finger portrayed and found himself grinning broadly when he found her outburst to be true.

“Right, I’m off to have a chat with her,” announced Kirsty, rising slowly out of her seat, “seeing as you lot are about as lively as a bunch of petrified Flobberworms!” As she straightened up to go, she narrowly escaped being caught on the head by the post owl that had just delivered Lily’s Daily Prophet.

Remus watched as Kirsty regained her composure and scurried off to join Hayley at the Ravenclaw table, and seeing as the most talkative member of the group had now flounced off, Remus decided to keep his gaze fixed on the two girls as they sat down. Although he was indeed interested to find out just how well Kirsty would be received by a groggy-looking Hayley, Remus couldn’t deny that it was towards Hayley in which his gaze kept flitting.

A sharp pain flooded through his head as he was rapped sharply over the head with Lily’s newly delivered Daily Prophet.

“What was that for?” he confronted James, rubbing his head.

“Timetables,” James stated in response, nodding at McGonagall who was approaching them.

After receiving his timetable and offering his thanks, Remus quickly scanned today’s column to find that he had Charms first thing, followed by Arithmancy and in the afternoon he had double Defence against the Dark Arts (Kirsty will be happy, he thought) which was to be followed by Potions as the last lesson of the day.

Upon receiving their timetables, Sirius and James high-fived each other and yelled in unison, “Yes, Charms first thing!”

Their appreciative whooping and the other’s mutterings of “Geeks,” preceded Emma’s arrival.

She slumped down next to Peter and started shaking cornflakes into her bowl.

“Morning, Em,” greeted James, “what took you so long?”

“I was doing my hair,” she replied shortly.

“Surely it can’t take that long?” protested Sirius, “I mean just give a lazy flick of your wand, and then bam, perfect hair.”

“I’d rather do it the Muggle way thank you very much!” replied Emma indignantly.

“One day, Em, we’re simply going to have to drag you into the Wizarding world,” remarked Peter.

Kirsty came sauntering back over within moments of Emma’s arrival. She once again took her seat in front of Remus and began to wipe something that looked suspiciously like egg yolk off of her face with the sleeve of her robe.

Remus gave her a questioning look, to which she replied, “Hayley doesn’t like morning people either.”

*

“Today, class,” announced Professor Flitwick, “we are going to be venturing into a very complicated branch of Charms…turning the inanimate-“ He flicked his wand in the direction of his desk. “-into the animated.” His desk got up and moved itself a few paces to the right.

There was an excited intake of breath from the majority of the class, and everybody suddenly looked very alert, James and Sirius in particular. Kirsty, however, groaned loudly from beside Remus. He had been the one to volunteer to sit beside her, seeing as everybody else was currently averse to her ‘morning person’ chirpiness. Remus sympathised with her. Charms was definitely not her strongest subject, and she was the first to admit that. She usually managed everything in the end; it just took a lot of patience and effort on her part.

“Now this particular skill can be put to many uses,” continued Professor Flitwick, “whether those uses be as mundane as getting objects to place themselves in the correct spot without having to resort to heavy lifting, or whether it be as life threatening as requiring an objects’ help in a battle-“

“Excuse me, Professor,” interrupted Lily politely, thrusting her hand into the air.

“Yes, Miss Evans? You have a question?” asked the Professor.

“Well, I’m a bit confused. How exactly could transfiguring inanimate objects into animate ones benefit you in a battle situation?”

“Very well, Miss Evans, I shall give you some examples. Statues and suits of armour could be manipulated into putting themselves in the line of fire in order to protect you and others from dangerous oncoming spells, and you could even use them in the offensive,”

An awed silence followed this elaboration and Remus couldn’t deny that he too was impressed by the new propositions which would open up if he was able to master this captivating skill.

“Right, for today’s lesson I would like you to concentrate on trying to make these books,” he indicated the pile of thin red books situated on his now inanimate desk, “animated. And by animated I do not mean jinxing them so that they zoom around my classroom. Be warned, I will be able to tell if you’re bluffing. Miss Filby, kindly hand the books out if you please.”

Annoyingly, within the first half an hour of the lesson, Sirius and James had successfully managed to animate their books, earning themselves thirty points a piece for Gryffindor, and they were now making them flap around the classroom effortlessly.

Remus gave James a disapproving look when he leaned back in his chair and laid his head on Remus’ half of the desk before flicking his wand lazily to make the book change direction mid-air.

Next to Remus, Kirsty had momentarily given up on animating her book and was now attempting to curl a wisp of her dark hair by wrapping it around her wand. It was then, for the first time, that he noticed something significantly different about her appearance. It hadn’t attracted his attention before due to the fact that her hair had been covering that particular portion of her forehead, but now, thanks to her current hairdressing attempts, the small scar was clearly visible.

“Kirst,” began Remus hesitantly, “do you remember me telling you that you might be left with a scar from Sian’s spell yesterday?”

She turned her head and surveyed him. “Yeah…” she replied slowly.

“Well, I’m afraid to say that I was right,”

“Really? Let me see!” she replied childishly.

“See what?” asked Sirius, copying James and lounging back in his seat, his head tilted upside down in order to survey Kirsty, who was sat directly behind him.

“My scar,” she replied indifferently.

“What scar?” piped up James.

Kirsty waved his question away impatiently.

“Em!” Remus shouted over to the table that was diagonally to his left, “can Kirsty borrow your mirror for a second?”

Emma looked extremely reluctant to hand it over.

“Are you kidding?” laughed Kirsty, “trying to prise a mirror out of her perfectly manicured hands is harder than getting Voldemort to apologise!”

Sirius and James sniggered appreciatively, and Remus smirked.

With an air of defiance Emma then retrieved her mirror from inside her bag.

“Chuck it across, Em,” instructed James, hand outstretched.

But Emma looked as if she was worried that James would either miss it or drop it, with both scenarios more than likely resulting in seven years’ bad luck for both or either party.

Kirsty rolled her eyes. “Accio Emma’s mirror,” she stated impatiently.

“Wow, that’s kind of cool,” affirmed Kirsty after staring at her reflection for a few minutes.

“Are you sure that it doesn’t bother you?” asked Remus. He wanted to be absolutely sure that she wasn’t fazed by it because visible disfigurements could become a major issue with some people.

“Not in the slightest. Here, Em, catch!” Kirsty threw the mirror across the classroom to a shocked Emma. Once the mirror was caught by Emma’s safe hands, Kirsty received a murderous look from its owner. “Thank you,” replied Kirsty with a sheepish grin.

“Do you want some help with that, Kirst?” enquired Sirius, jerking his head in the direction of Kirsty’s still lifeless book.

“No, I can manage perfectly well, thank you very much!” she replied, rapping him over the head with her wand so that he would remove himself from her workspace.

Sirius returned to sitting upright but turned his chair sideways in order to continue surveying her. Kirsty began to make furious jabbing motions with her wand whilst muttering the incantation repeatedly under her breath. Remus budged his chair away from her slightly, scared that she was about to accidentally poke him in the eye.

“Look, come here,” instructed Sirius, getting up from his chair and coming to stand behind her. He took hold of her right wrist; her wand was still enclosed in her hand, and guided it so that it traced the appropriate movement needed for the spell. “Now, annunciate the incantation,” he ordered softly.

Kirsty did so and jumped backwards, her head meeting Sirius’ chest, when the book began to flap obediently in front of her.

“Wow, well done!” praised Sirius, “that wasn’t that hard now was it?”

Sirius was grinning broadly when Kirsty turned around to thank him, and was it Remus’ imagination? Or was there a lot more than friendliness evident in the look that Sirius proceeded to give her?

“And if you do this…” continued Sirius, taking hold of her wrist again and forcing her to make a sharp tapping movement with her wand.

Kirsty’s book then zoomed through the air before hurtling down and dive bombing Peter in the side of the head.

“Sirius!” scolded Peter, annoyed, as he turned around from the desk where he had been seated next to Lily; he seemed to have guessed that the book had emanated from Sirius’ direction.

“It wasn’t me,” protested Sirius grinning mischievously, “It was Kirsty!”

------------

Sirius swung his bag over his shoulder and gave his goodbyes to James, Remus, Lily and Hayley, who were all headed off to Arithmancy, before running to catch up with Kirsty, Emma and Peter who were all well on the way to Ancient Runes.

The trek from Charms to their Ancient Rune’s classroom was an unusually long one; Sirius suspected that this was probably due to his current drowsy state.

Once there, Sirius graciously held the door open for the other three before entering the room himself. He followed Kirsty as she wound her way over to the desk which she and he usually occupied, whereas Emma and Peter disappeared over to a desk which was a few rows in front and a few desks to the right of them.

Professor Typicus strode into the room and all talking ceased at once. He was a tall man with prematurely grey hair and piercing hazel eyes which seemed to scrutinize every detail of your face as if he were searching for some clue or other in order to help him in assessing your demeanour. His enthusiasm for his subject was what made the subject of Ancient Runes so compelling to Sirius. He had a lenient manner but was able to revert to being a tough disciplinarian to those students deserving of it.

The lesson started with yet another mind numbingly boring talk concerning their NEWTs before the professor resorted to explaining about some new ruins and emphasising his points by writing them on the board.

Having written down the more important information off the board, Sirius began to become increasingly bored. Listening to explanations about difficult ruins was definitely not the way to revitalise oneself. He glanced sideways at Kirsty and then looked over at Emma and Peter. Good they’re all taking notes. This left Sirius free to copy them up at his leisure, for between the three of them they were bound to copy down the majority of the Professor’s explanation. Like he had done merely minutes ago in Charms, Sirius then proceeded to lean back on his rear chair legs and survey the ceiling.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw Kirsty survey him with annoyance before muttering, “Will you pay attention?” furiously out of the corner of her mouth.

“But I’m bored!” whined Sirius.

“But you like Ancient Runes!” replied Kirsty, imitating his whiney voice.

“Shush, I’m being rebellious,” he said, smiling cheekily and waving at one of his fan girls that had just happened to look his way. “And quite frankly, Kirst,” he continued devilishly, “you’re cramping my style.”

Kirsty, faking annoyance, pushed his chair back onto all four legs with a loud bang.

“Mr Black,” Professor Typicus’ voice cut sternly through the air, “I would appreciate it if you didn’t disturb my class quite so loudly.”

“Sorry, Sir,” Sirius countered politely.

“Anyway,” continued Kirsty after verifying that Typicus had gone back to teaching his lesson, “the point is that I simply can’t concentrate with you lounging there looking all sexy.”

Sirius reverted to leaning back on his chair again, a smile plaguing across his lips. He asked Kirsty, in a voice full of unsuppressed glee, “You think I’m sexy?”

“No,” she replied feigning defiance, “I was just channelling my inner fan girl, that’s all.”

“You have an inner fan girl?” pestered Sirius becoming increasingly more amused, “you’re one too!” he exclaimed, throwing one hand to his chest in feigned shock while pointing an accusing finger at Kirsty and bringing his chair to the floor with another resounding bang.

“Mr Black!” yelled Typicus.

“Sorry, Professor, my foot slipped,” lied Sirius.

Typicus gave him a piercing look before returning to his lecture.

“So who are you the fan girl of?” Sirius persisted.

“I’m no ones fan girl,” objected Kirsty.

“Liar,”

“Fine,” sighed Kirsty, “If you must know I’m Matt Higgins’ fan girl.”

“What? As in the captain of the Ravenclaw Quidditch team?” asked Sirius, “he’s a prat.” he confirmed.

“Hmm,” replied Kirsty noncommittally.

“You don’t seriously like him, do you?”

“Why? Are you worried that you’ve lost another potential fan girl to the cause?”

“No,”

“Or are you perhaps jealous?”

“What? Of that puffed up Plimpy? No chance!”

“Suit yourself,”

“You’re having me on aren’t you?” asked Sirius after a few moments, raising his eyebrow quizzically in her direction.

“Took you long enough,” laughed Kirsty, “you really are sleep deprived aren’t you?” she continued to tease.

“So you don’t like Matt Higgins?”

“Please, as if I’d go for a Ravenclaw. I have enough trouble competing with you Gryffindor boys as it is.”

This was music to Sirius’ ears, even though he couldn’t quite explain why.

“So does this mean that you are indeed more inclined to be one of my fan girls?” asked Sirius hopefully.

Kirsty rolled her eyes. “Nope, because I am fully immune to your charms, Sirius Black,”

The smile slid off Sirius’ face. “No one is fully immune to Sirius Black,” he informed her wryly.

“Oooh, hark at you, Captain Ego,” she teased.

Without thinking, Sirius bought his chair back on all fours again, in order to address Kirsty at her eye level, and its bang echoed around the room for the third time.

Black!”

“Sorry, Professor, my leg has an involuntary twitch,” bluffed Sirius.

Typicus, seemingly trying hard to contain his annoyance, carried on with his teaching regardless, whereas Peter and Emma turned to survey the two of them, clearly intrigued.

“You’re a liar, Miss White,” announced Sirius in a hushed whisper.

“Oh, am I?” she challenged.

“Yes, because you simply can’t be completely immune to my many charms.”

“You really do think a lot of yourself, don’t you?” she asked incredulously, smiling at him.

“No. It’s just that practically every other girl in this place worships the ground I walk on, and those that don’t have simply confessed that they find me attractive. All except you that is.”

“Maybe I’m special?” she volunteered.

“Hmm,”

Sirius watched her as she returned to copying the explanations down from the board. He wasn’t going to let this go. He knew that Kirsty must at least find him marginally attractive. He wasn’t sure why he was so tempted to know what her feelings towards him were on a physical level, he just was. So instead of contemplating this further, he reverted to thinking of a way to prove her attraction.

He had it. It was such an obvious idea that he wondered why it hadn’t occurred to him straight away. He would do what he did to all the girls when he wanted to know whether they liked him or not, although he didn’t thinking waving at Kirsty, like he had done to the Ancient Runes’ girl earlier, would quite cut it. He would have to go that one step further. He darted a quick look in the direction of his teacher to make sure that he was otherwise engaged before leaning towards Kirsty and kissing her roughly on the cheek.

A dull flush flooded her cheeks, giving Sirius all the proof he needed, before she exclaimed with embarrassment and shock, “Sirius!”

“Miss White!” shouted Typicus, “the answer is not and never will be Sirius as you so vehemently insist!”

“Sorry, Sir, I was talking to Sirius here.”

Typicus surveyed her for a few seconds before addressing Sirius, who had again resorted to lounging back in his chair. “Are you distracting her, Mr Black?”

Sirius, who until that moment had been lounging with ease doing his best to plaster an innocent look onto his face, nodded his head a fraction at Typicus.

Maybe it was due to Kirsty’s clear embarrassment that Typicus postponed from dishing out his long awaited punishment. “If either of you interrupt my lesson one more time, you’ll be out. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, Professor, sorry, Professor,” they both muttered apologetically.

“Totally immune, are you?” Sirius asked Kirsty triumphantly.

Kirsty hit him sharply on the arm. “That was a downright devious thing to do; it was low even for you, Sirius.” But Sirius noted that her tone wasn’t as angry as she was trying to make it out to be.

Kirsty decided to go back to work, probably in order to remain in Typicus’ good books, whereas Sirius reverted to lazily blowing his fringe out of his eyes.

“So,” stated Sirius after some contemplation, “does this mean that you are in fact one of my fan girls?” In his excitement over this realisation, Sirius bought his chair down for the final time and unfortunately, for the pair of them, it landed on Kirsty’s foot.

Ouch!” she yelped.

Out!” bellowed Typicus, his eyes darting angrily between the two of them.

Sirius got up, feeling rather pleased with himself, and walked out of the room. He stopped and leaned on the doorframe whilst he waited for Kirsty, who picked up her bag and left the room mumbling repeatedly under her breath.

“Well, that was fun!” he exclaimed with a grin as Kirsty joined him outside.

Kirsty, however, didn’t look amused. “You just got me kicked out of class for the first time ever!”

Sirius assumed a look of pride and said with glee, “I know!”

“You do realise that we’re probably going to get detention for this,” she informed him.

"Yep," he replied, his grin spreading even wider, "which means I'm already one up on James!"

Kirsty scowled.

Sirius gave her the puppy dog eyes and asked, “Oh, come on, how can you stay mad at this face?"

Kirsty deliberately averted her gaze away from him.

Sirius, not being one to give up easily, went and stood directly in front of her eye line and asked sincerely, "Okay, how can I make it up to you?"

Kirsty looked at him and a wide smile spread across her face.

A/N: A bar of Honeydukes’ finest to anyone who can figure out the significance of Professor Typicus’ name! Now make sure to go and read Part Two when it gets validated everyone! Thanks for reading. Please take the time to review! :D