Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Conquers by dumbly_dorr

Printer
Summary: If you're looking for the usual James-loves-Lily-but-Lily-hates-James storyline, then this isn't it. The thing is, Lily doesn't hate James at all, he can just be annoying at the best of times. As she comes to realise why she doesn't hate him, it leads to the famous love we all know about. Set against the backdrop of a warring magical world where nothing is certain, can James and Lily hold onto each other and fight?

UPDATE August 08: It's FINISHED! Thank you so much to all those who have read and reviewed this story, I have loved your support. i hope there are still people out there who are willing to read it. Keep an eye out for more stories by me! UPDATE February '08: I have changed the chapter names of some of the 'Defied' chapters, to make this fit and to make it more plausible, as I see the 'thrice defying' of Voldemort as happening when James and Lily are part of the Order of the Phoenix.

UPDATE 20th September: I have altered my facts in the chapter 'Once Defied' as I made mistakes in the ages of James and Lily. It didn't matter so much in this chapter but had annoying repercusions for future chapters. It should all now be correct.

Ratings: 3rd-5th Years [ - ]
Category: James/Lily
Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenge:
Serie: None
Chapters: 33 Completed?: Yes
Wordcount: 70122 Viewcount: 189016
Published on: 02/20/07 Updated On: 07/21/08





1. Chapter 1: Hard to Get by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (1653 words)
Those of you who managed to read this chapter before it all went haywire will know what it is about. I would love it if you re-read it. For those who haven't read it yet, this chapter introduces the principle characters and their personalities. I hope you enjoy it, please read and review!
2. Chapter 2: Mysteries by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (1186 words)
There's been a break-in at the Ministry, but what has made Lily go red? Thanks for you comments, keep them coming!

3. Chapter 3: Sirius in Trouble by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (1340 words)
This chapter does stray from James/Lily but it all comes good in the end! I hope you like it, please keep the comments coming!
4. Chapter 4: Surprises by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (1852 words)
Author's Notes:
Its the morning after the night before, and still noone knows what happened to Peter. And Lily turns 18. What does James give her for her birthday? Please read and review! thank you!

5. Chapter 5: The Whomping Willow by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (1392 words)
An immediate follow-on from the last chapter when James and Lily entered the Whomping Willow. Deep in the Shrieking Shack, the others discover what Bella was up to when she threatened Peter...
6. Chapter 6: The Perfect Birthday by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (1424 words)
Lily finds that by giving James a go, he can be quite surprisingly normal! Hope you like this one, it was fun to write! Please review! Thanks...
7. Chapter 7: The Moon Rises by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (1894 words)
Lily takes a late night walk during the full moon. We all know what happens at this time, but does Lily? She's about to find out...

8. Chapter 8: A Future Career by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (1810 words)
This chapter sees Lily becoming closer to the Marauders. But what has happened to Alice? Hope you enjoy...please read and review.
9. Chapter 9: The Christmas Feast by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (2060 words)
As the holidays approach, the students get excited about the oncoming Christmas Feast. But what will happen when James finally gets the dream date he always wanted?
10. Chapter 10: Chasing a Dream by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (1616 words)
It's the day after the Feast, and James has a hard time finding the nerve to talk to Lily about what happened. Will his dream finally come true?
11. Chapter 11: A Treasure Hunt by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (2542 words)
The (finally) new couple Lliy and James have to spend Christmas apart. But James won't let the holidays go past without his presence being felt!
12. Chapter 12: A Sluggish Day by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (1699 words)
The gang are reunited after the Christmas holidays, and soon settle back into normailty as the new term begins. Shorter than the last chapter, but still fun to write! Let me know what you think...
13. Chapter 13: Lost by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (1748 words)
Sorry to introduce sadness just when everyone was happy, but at least it keeps the story on its toes!
14. Chapter 14: Home by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (1644 words)
Lily is sent home for her parents' funeral, but as she comes to terms with their deaths, she must also face Petunia...
15. Chapter 15: Conflict by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (1841 words)
This picks up from the point when Lily left Dumbledore's office, but from James's POV. I hope you like it, please keep the reviews coming!
16. Chapter 16: Bed Swapping by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (1584 words)
So James and Lily have had their first argument, but it isn't long before Lily can't resist sorting it out... even if it is the middle of the night... tell me what you think!
17. Chapter 17: The Morning After by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (1641 words)
As the title suggests, this picks up the next morning when Lily and James's friends find out about their shenanagans! Hope you like it, please let me know what you think!
18. Chapter 18: Hogsmeade by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (2088 words)
Hope you like this one... Please review, I'd love to know what you think!
19. Chapter 19: Birthday Plans by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (1877 words)
A little shorter than I would have liked but I didn't want to milk it, as the real action of this part of the story happens in the next chapter... Anyway, tell me what you think!
20. Chapter 20: Death Eaters by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (2645 words)
Quite a long one but I really enjoyed writing this chapter. Lily and the Marauders go to Hogsmeade in the middle of the night to celebrate Sirius's birthday, but it doesn't all go according to plan...
21. Chapter 21: The Aftermath by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (2433 words)
Picks up straight from the end of the last chapter, after the fight with the Death Eaters. Hope you enjoy it, please keep the reviews coming I'd love to know what you think!

22. Chapter 22: The Road to Recovery by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (2230 words)
James still remains in the Hospital Wing, and becomes increasingly bored. But some of the others aren't doing as well as he he is ... Hope you like it, tell me what you think!
23. Chapter 23: The State of Sirius by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (2729 words)
Here it is, the next chapter. Sorry for the wait but it needed a lot of ... tweaking. Let me know what you think please! I love your reviews!
24. Chapter 24: St. Mungo's by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (3347 words)
Well... it's a long one, as requested. Please enjoy and leave lots of lovely reviews! lol...
25. Chapter 25: NEWTs by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (2242 words)
Sorry for those typos in the last chapter. I have read and re-read this one so I hope there won't be any! James, Lily and the others start their NEWTs, and Lily worries about the future. Let me know what you think!

26. Chapter 26: the Order of the Phoenix by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (2710 words)
A visit from a Ministry Auror leads to new paths for James… hope you like this one, let me know what you think.
27. Chapter 27: Goodbye to Hogwarts by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (2607 words)
Well, this is the end of the Hogwarts Road for the gang. Please let me know what you think, I have written a particularly mushy chapter for those of you who asked for more James/Lily stuff, so i hope you like it!

28. Chapter 28: Once Defied by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (3124 words)
This chapter takes us to a few years after the gang leave Hogwarts. Since then, Voldemort has gained yet more power, but the Order of the Phoenix are doing their best to fight back.
A little longer, this one, than more chapters, please let me know what you think of it!

29. Chapter 29: Mr and Mrs by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (2231 words)
Sorry for the ridiculously long wait everyone ... i've had some stuff that's needed doing recently but it's done now, so back to the story! This chapter picks up from the end of the last one, where the Order fought Voldemort and his Death Eaters. Enjoy!

30. Chapter 30: Twice Defied by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (3545 words)
Ok ok - i know its been AGES since i last submitted a chapter, but in compensation i've written a really long chapter which i hope you'll really enjoy. To recap - James had just proposed to Lily at Frank and Alice's wedding. In this chapter, both their lives are put in danger. Enjoy! and please review. It makes me happy :)

31. Chapter 31: Thrice Defied by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (3076 words)
Yet more danger looms for James and Lily, and for the Order, with Voldemort in the prime of his reign of terror. Thanks for all the positive support for the last chapter, I really appreciate it. After this one, there are only 2 chapters left!
32. Chapter 32: Harry Potter by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (1962 words)
The penultimate chapter. Harry is finally born, but the Potter family's happiness is short lived .... let me know what you think!
33. Chapter 33: Love Conquers by dumbly_dorr [ - ] (2350 words)
THE END IS HERE! Well, we all know what happens next, but this the tragedy seen through my pen (or keyboard ... ) and I hope it lives up to expectations. Please let me know what you think, and thank you all for sticking with me to the end. I love you all, and I love James/Lily/Harry.