Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Conquers by dumbly_dorr

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: There's been a break-in at the Ministry, but what has made Lily go red? Thanks for you comments, keep them coming!
Chapter 2: Mysteries



The first week of school went by without any problems. The Seventh Year’s were overwhelmed by the amount of homework they were given, which didn’t lend any time for other, more amusing, excursions.



For James, it meant above all that he could easily avoid Lily.



“I just don’t have time to think at the moment,” he said to Remus as they walked back to the Common room after another long and tiring day. “The only times my mind isn’t on work are Quidditch practice, eating, and sleeping, and I can hardly think about girls during any of those!”



Remus smiled. “Heaven forbid you should have your mind on anything other than food during dinner time.”



“Well exactly,” James said, missing the sarcasm. “So really, this playing hard to get thing is a piece of pumpkin pie.”



“That depends on whether it’s working. For all you know, she could have forgotten all about you by now.”



James frowned. “Hmm, you think I should go back to square one?” They entered the common room and moved a couple of Second Years who were sitting in the good seats by the fire. “Seventh Year privilege I’ve invented as Head Boy. Go and sit in those spare seats by the entrance.”



They sat down. “So, what do think? Back to square one?” James repeated to Remus.



“You were never even on square one, Prongs,” came the reply. I think you should start again. Fresh. Now can we please change the subject? For someone who claims to have nothing but work, Quidditch, and food on his mind, you seem to have a lot of space for Lily Evans…”



***



“Lily Evans!” someone shouted the next morning.



Lily turned around. Yves was running towards her. She skidded to a halt in front of Lily. “You know, you’ve been walking around in a cloud these past days! I’ve been calling and calling you from the end of the corridor.”



“Sorry Yve, what did you want?”



Yves linked arms with Lily and they continued on their way to breakfast. “Well, I happen to know its someone’s birthday coming up really soon, and I wondered what she wanted as a gift…”



Lily bit her bottom lip and thought about it. “Uh, well I don’t really know to be honest. You don’t have to bother you know Yve, I don’t expect anything.”



“Don’t be silly!” Yves said as they sat down at the Gryffindor table. “I always get you a present every year. I just wanted to know if there was anything specifically that you wanted. Otherwise I’ll just go with my instinct. There are some really lovely things this season in Witch Catalogue.”



“Yeah, instinct is much better,” Lily said, pouring herself some orange juice.



She looked up and noticed they were sitting opposite James, Sirius and Remus, who were deep in a discussion about the qualities of the latest model broom. Lily noticed James’s eyes flicker up to meet hers for a split second, before lowering them again to his food and talking about air speed.



She looked to her empty bowl and began filling it with milk and cornflakes. “Pass the sugar please, Potter,” she said, not looking up. He jumped, surprised at being addressed at the breakfast table. “Uh, sure,” he said, sliding it across to her. She poured a generous helping on her cereal and slid it back to him. “Cheers.”



He turned back to Sirius and Remus and re-joined the conversation, which had moved to the new season’s Quidditch League table.



Yves opened the Daily Prophet that had just been deposited by a large tawny owl. It nicked a piece of bacon from her plate, swallowed it whole, and then stretched its wings wide and took off again.



Lily looked over to her friend who was scanning the front page. “How many?” she inquired routinely.



Yves sighed. “No mention of deaths on the front page, but a ministry official was caught trying to get into the Department of Mysteries last night. They think he was under the influence of the Imperius Curse.”



At this, James, Sirius and Remus stopped talking Quidditch, and all turned towards Yves.



“Say that again,” Sirius said.



Yves read out the opening of the article.



“Last night ministry official Berty Lord was arrested for attempting to break into the Department of Mysteries at Ministry Headquarters. Aurors were alerted to his presence by dark sensors placed around the building. Once caught, he was immediately taken to Azkaban where he awaits news of a trial.



“Minster for Magic Arvon Funke this morning spoke of the matter as “highly suspicious.” However, he also stated that the highest security has been placed upon the Ministry, and it is under no more threat. Mr Funke added that “Berty Lord has been a loyal and trusting member of the Ministry for many years, therefore until evidence is given otherwise, I am treating this as a case of the Imperius Curse. I believe he was accosted and the curse placed upon him. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has struck again.” '




She folded the paper and paced it on the table. Those who had been leaning in to listen were staring at each other.



“He’s probably wrong,” Remus said. “I mean it may have just been a misunderstanding. I bet this man ran into a Death Eater who thought it would be amusing to put the Imperius Curse on him and get him arrested. Wouldn't surprise me at all. You-Know-Who might not have even been involved.”



James looked sceptical. “Chance would be a fine thing,” he said. “He’s always involved nowadays. What kind of misunderstanding would involve someone trying to break into there?”



“I don’t understand. What’s so special about the Department of Mysteries?” asked Lily.



“No one knows,” Remus said mysteriously, “My dad once told me that it contains highly dangerous and unidentified magical substances. It’s like a huge laboratory where unclassified information is kept. But he only works in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. He could be wrong.”



Silence gripped the friends, until Peter came running towards them, and, tripping over a protruding Slytherin leg, fell crashing to the ground.



The Hall erupted into laughter. Lily ran to help him up, but Peter only shook her off and rushed to the empty seat beside Sirius, burying his face in a bowl of cornflakes.



Sirius, still laughing, clapped him on the back. “Good one, Wormtail. You never fail to embarrass yourself in front of the whole world. What's the rush, anyway?”



Peter cleared his throat and mumbled, “Never mind,” before hurriedly scooping spoonfuls of cereal into his mouth, milk dribbling down his chin.



James looked at Lily and smiled. She flushed and stood up.



“Come on Yve, we need to get our books for Transfiguration.”



Yves took another bite out of her bacon sandwich and joined Lily. “Why are you all pink?” she asked as they walked away.



“I really don’t know….” Lily answered, with her hands on her cheeks.