Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Conquers by dumbly_dorr

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Well, this is the end of the Hogwarts Road for the gang. Please let me know what you think, I have written a particularly mushy chapter for those of you who asked for more James/Lily stuff, so i hope you like it!
Chapter 27: Goodbye to Hogwarts

James spent almost the entire night telling his friends about the Order for the Phoenix. He had taken Dumbledore’s warning and considered whether they were trustworthy or not. He decided, with not much need to think about it, that the Marauders had always been there for him through everything. He had never needed to lie to them about anything serious before, and he wasn’t about to start. And as for Lily, James couldn’t bare the thought of keeping anything from her.

So, after dinner that evening, the five of them stayed up until the early hours of the morning, talking over what had happened.

“I can’t believe this!” Sirius said for the twentieth time. He put on his deepest voice. “James Potter, Order of the Phoenix.”

“I know, it’s bizarre,” James replied. “It’s big stuff.”

“I always knew Dumbledore would be involved in some sort of Anti-You-Know-Who organisation. I can just see him sneaking around in secret hideouts. Sounds a lot like us, actually…”

“Except you practice trouble-making, not ridding the world of evil,” Lily pointed out. “Slight difference.”

“Still, I think we’d make a good addition to the Order of the Phoenix,” Sirius continued. “Do you think Dumbledore will let us join in a few years time?”

“I have no idea,” James said, still phased by the whole thing. “I don’t really know how it works.”

“So you’re still going ahead with your Auror training?” Remus asked.

“Definitely. We’re all going to need those skills in the future, no matter what we end up doing. Things are still going pretty badly for us. I don’t think we quite realise, being locked up safe in here every day of the week.”

“Yeah,” Lily said. “As soon as we’re let loose into society, we’re going to get a big shock. It’s not as pretty as it is in here. I’ve seen it. Death hurts.”

Sirius yawned. “An on that cheerful note, I’m heading up to bed. Anyone joining me?”

“I will,” Peter said, standing up and moving towards Sirius. “Night, guys.”

“I’ll be up soon,” Remus said.

“Night,” Lily called as they climbed the stairs.

“So…” James said. “There’s a lot happening around here.”

“Tell me about it. It’s been a tough few months, and it’s going to get even tougher once the summer is through,” Remus said, lying back into the space where Sirius had been sitting. “Life would be so much easier if I wasn’t a werewolf.”

“You mean for the future?” Lily asked.

“Yeah. I’m going to have a hard time finding a decent job.”

“No way,” James said. “A great guy like you? They’ll lap you up.”

“Thanks, Prongs, but I doubt it. It’s ok though, that’s my lot in life, I guess.” He smiled weakly. “Still, I have you guys.”

“Always,” Lily said. “We love you, Remus!”

“Thanks, Lily.” He yawned. “Right, I’d better go to bed before I fall asleep here.” He rolled off the sofa and stood up.

“Sleep well, Moony,” James said.

“Night, Remus.”

“See you tomorrow.” He left for the dormitory.

“Well, just us, I guess,” James said.

“Just us.” There was a pause. “James? Don’t you think it’s a bit strange that Dumbledore has asked you to join this organisation that you know nothing about, at the age of eighteen, with no experience whatsoever?”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence!”

“No, no, that’s not what I meant,” Lily said, getting up and climbing into James’ lap. “I’m very proud of you. It’s just … odd, that’s all. I don’t want you in danger.”

“I won’t be. Not for a few years anyway. Besides, it’s like what you said before. It’s tough out there. Whatever happens, we’re all in danger as soon as we leave Hogwarts. I might as well be with people who know how to fight it.”

“I suppose.” She sighed. “Just, don’t you go running into any battles, James. I almost lost you once. And too many people have died in my life. I won’t have it happen again.”

“No, you won’t. Dumbledore’s looking after me, Lils. He’s the greatest wizard alive. Greater than You-Know-Who. We’re on the winning side, trust me. I’ll be fine.”

“Good, because I love you, James Potter.” She turned her head to look at him properly. “I mean it.”

James blinked, taken aback. “You … really?”

“Yes, really. I don’t know why it took me this long to tell you.”

James smiled. “Well, you could always make up for lost time…”

Lily chuckled. “How many times do I owe you?”

“About two hundred. You should get going, you know, it’s late.”

Lily leant forwards, smiling, and kissed James briefly before sitting back up. “I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you …” she trailed off.

“Hey, that was only five! I said two hundred, Miss Evans. Keep going.”

He put his hands behind his head and sat back just as Lily grabbed a cushion from the chair next to her and hit him across the head with it.

***

The rest of term zoomed by for the Seventh Years, and before they knew it, the last week was upon them. As Lily moved round the castle slowly, breathing in the distinct scent that was only Hogwarts, she found herself in parts of the castle that she had never seen before in all seven years at the school, places she was sure had not existed. Everything was suddenly magnified, so that an old rusty suit of armour became the shining memorabilia of the place she had experienced her first kiss, or a small, dingy classroom turned into the place where she had first used a wand.

It was a sad week for Lily. Hogwarts was the place where she had grown up; it was where she had found herself. The future was so uncertain for them all that it felt even more poignant that they were leaving this safe haven.

There were no more lessons for the Seventh Years, but the teachers hosted a Farewell Dinner, in which the whole year and all the teachers said their goodbyes to each other and celebrated seven years of excellence and inspiration. It took place on the last night of term.

As the Seventh Year Gryffindors descended the Staircase into the Entrance Hall, there was a sense of great anticipation. No one wanted to leave; least of all Lily, but the feeling that the future was out there to be taken was a feeling that couldn’t be shaken off.

James was the most excited. “Just think,” he said to Lily as he took her arm and led her into the Great Hall. “This will be the last time we are ever in this room.”

“Don’t say that!” Lily said. “Besides, what about breakfast tomorrow morning?”

“Oh yeah… well, this will be the last Feast we ever attend at the school.”

“James, stop that! You’ll make me cry!”

They took their seats along the single table that had been set in the middle of the Hall for the meal. Many smaller tables were positioned around the Hall, so that the teachers and students could sit and talk once the meal was over.

Sirius and Ellie sat opposite them on the long table, with Peter next to Ellie. “Where’s Remus?” James asked.

“Over that end of the table, with Frank and that Hufflepuff girl with the curly hair.”

“Stephanie Myres?” Lily asked.

“That’s the one. I’ve never been able to remember her name.” He chuckled. “Oh well, now I won’t ever have to!”

“Look, he’s coming over now,” Lily said, as Remus stood from his seat and wandered over to where they were sitting.

“Nice of you to join us!” Sirius said, making room for him to sit down. “I thought you were going to abandon us!”

“On our last ever Feast as the Marauders of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry? You must be kidding me!”

“That’s what I thought,” James said. “This is most certainly the end of an era.”

“Speaking of which,” Remus said, “are we going through with the plan for the Map?”

“What plan?” Lily asked.

“Well,” James said. “We don’t need the Marauder’s Map anymore, seeing as we’re leaving, so we thought we’d hide it somewhere safe for some future mischief makers to discover. To their great advantage, of course.”

“Really? I would have thought you’d want to keep something as special as that.”

“Well, we talked about it,” Remus said. “But then we’d have to split it four ways and besides, this way someone else gets to carry on our legacy.”

At that moment, Professor McGonagall seated herself next to James. “Good evening, Mr Potter,” she said, just as the Divination teacher, Professor Palmer, took his seat on her other side.

“Good evening, Professor,” James replied.

“And how are you today?”

“Not bad.”

“Sad to be leaving?”

“I guess. It hasn’t really hit me yet. I don’t suppose it will until we actually leave.”

Professor McGonagall nodded, as Professor Dumbledore stood up from his seat at the end of the table. “I have a few words to say before we eat,” he began, as students and teachers alike quietened down. “This time of year is always a very sad one for me, as I watch my students leave to conquer the world. But it is also a time for a great celebration of all that you have achieved during your time here, and all you will achieve in your lives to come.

“Who knew, seven years ago, that we would have such a diversely talented group of students entering these walls? For that is what you are. Each and every one of you has the potential and the ability to do great things, and I do not doubt that you will. You have a future to look forward to, and that is something you have given yourselves, by your hard work and dedication to your studies. With, of course, much support from your excellent teachers!” At this, there was a general roar of agreement from the students gathered. “So, I wish you all the very best of luck with your NEWT results, and with the future. You have been a pleasure to know and it has been a great honour to call you my students.” He paused and looked at them all, his eyes beaming from behind his half-moon spectacles.

Next to James, Lily sobbed silently. “You big softie,” James said, putting his arm around her.

“And now,” Dumbledore continued. “Let us enjoy what time we have left together!” He clapped his hands and the plates filled up before their eyes.

“Food!” Sirius exclaimed happily, pulling the nearest dish towards him.

“Do you ever think of anything other than your stomach?” Ellie asked, laughing at the sight of Sirius.

“Yesh,” he replied, before swallowing his mouthful and taking another. “I fink of you shometimesh.”

“How romantic,” Ellie said, looking sceptically at Sirius as he tore another bits out of his chicken leg.

The evening passed pleasantly, with cheerful banter from everyone at the table, even the Slytherins. James saw Bella Black sneak a swift kiss on this cheek of a rather startled looking boy, and down at the other end, even Severus was smiling as he sat talking to Professor Almony avidly, most likely about how he pursue his career as a teacher.

Once everyone had eaten their fill, people began to drift off to the smaller tables to chat. Many people were mixing houses, saying their goodbyes now to people who they might not see the next morning. James took Lily outside into the night for a last stroll around the grounds. They talked amicably, walking first to the edge of the forest, and then following it round until it met the lake, who’s perimeter they then followed. The night was still and a little chilly, despite it being summer, and the sky was clear and full of stars.

Once they had been round the lake twice, a feat that took over an hour, they ambled towards the Quidditch pitch. “We should turn in soon,” James said. “I don’t want you getting cold.”

“I’m not too cold,” Lily replied.

“Your arm’s covered in goosebumps.”

Lily shivered. “I suppose, now that you mention it, it is chilly out here. What time is it?”

“Five past twelve.”

“Have we been walking for that long?”

“Apparently so. Do you wan to go in?”

“Not just yet. I don’t want tonight to end.”

They reached the Quidditch pitch and stood together, hovering at the edge of it. “I’ll miss Quidditch,” James said. “I was a bloody good player.” He laughed at his own vanity. “I don’t suppose I’ll get to play it much anymore.”

Minutes passed in silence. Lily turned to look out at the Hogwarts Grounds. It wouldn’t be long now before they would leave this all behind. She looked back on her years at the school with happiness, and knew that she would never find another place in the world like Hogwarts. Unless she was able to take James with her wherever she went. She sighed.

Behind her, James leant to kiss the side of her neck. He wrapped his arms around her waist and hugged her to him. His body was snug and inviting. She turned her head to meet his kiss. In the chill night his mouth was enticingly warm. She broke the kiss and looked up into his large brown eyes. For an instant, just looking at him was all she needed in the world.

“James?” she queried, making up her mind.

“Mm?”

“Take me away, James.”

He played along. “Where would you like to go?”

“Anywhere. Just the two of us. I want you to take me away.”

“Of course. I’m not going anywhere without you, Lils.” He kissed her cheek gently. A tear ran down the side of her face. “What’s the matter?”

“It’s nothing. I’m just sad to be leaving.”

“I know. But I won’t abandon you. Whatever it is Dumbledore wants me to do, I’m not jeopardising our relationship, you know that, right?” She nodded. “Besides, I’ll always be close by.”

Lily sighed. “No, you don’t get it. I want to be a part of it as well.”

“A part of what?”

“The fighting. The Order of the Phoenix. Whatever it is you have to go away and do.” Thoughts of her parents, dying at the hands of Death Eaters, suddenly filled her mind.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. I’m going to do the training at the Ministry at the very least.”

“Auror training?”

She nodded again. “If you’re in danger, I’m right there with you. We’re a team, remember? I’m not losing anyone else I love.” Tears began to flow down her face silently. She lowered her face as if in embarrassment.

“Hey,” James said softly, lifting her chin up until her eyes met his. “You wont lose me, I promise.”

He put one slender finger to her cheek and touched the spot where one of her tears had stained her face. Then he leant in and kissed them all away.