Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Luna Lovegood and the Charmed Circle by Hotrav

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Luna read the note that Hedwig had just delivered to her office.

Dear Luna


I’ve just finished reading the first 2 packages. I think they are brilliant. They are easily closer to the truth than anything that the Ministry or the Prophet has printed. The only suggestions that I have are that you are not giving enough of the credit to Ron or Hermione and I’d prefer that my name not be the only one in the titles. However, you know best how to run a newspaper, so I will accept your judgment. Please consider this letter as approval for you to follow through with the plans you wrote me about.


Your friend, Harry Potter


P.S. “ Don’t let Ginny know, I’ll tell her after your wedding.

Luna smiled. Your friend Harry Potter, so many wizards would give all the galleons in Gringotts to have Harry call them a friend. Yet on one bright sad afternoon, she had been willing to throw their friendship away, in order to save it.


* * * * *

Luna was watching Neville as they slowly walked back across the lush green lawn by the lake toward the castle. Neville was moving very slowly, but more steadily than he had been before Dumbledore’s funeral. While Neville had been released from the Hospital Wing earlier in the week, today was the first day that he had to physically exert himself. So Luna was walking with him to make sure that he wouldn’t overtax himself. If her constant hovering was bothering Neville, he was keeping a stiff upper lip about it. With all that had happened recently, everyone was seemingly a little more tolerant of the actions of their friends and family.

Just as they were passing by a large hedge, Neville came to an abrupt stop turning his head toward the shrub. Thinking he was in need of a break, Luna was heading over to help him, when she also heard what caused him to stop. On the other side of the large hedge, they heard the unmistakable sound of someone who was sobbing. The duo were stepping around the shrubbery when they saw Ginny Weasley, still in her dress robes, sitting on a stone garden bench with tears flowing down her freckled cheeks.

Sensing their presence, Ginny looked up to see her two friends looking down at her. She quickly, almost instinctively, moved to a space in between Luna and Neville. Their enclosing arms captured Ginny, offering their silent support for their obviously stricken friend. As Luna patted Ginny on the back, she saw that Neville was offering his handkerchief to her. Ginny took the small cloth and was brushing aside her tears as Neville asked, “What’s the matter? Was it the funeral? Why isn’t Harry or Ron with you?”

Ginny, hearing Harry’s name, nearly swooned. Neville, who was still a bit unsteady himself, pulled Ginny into a tight embrace. Luna watched as Neville stiffened his posture like he’d just taken a strengthening potion. Neville held onto Ginny, letting her feel him being strong so she wouldn’t feel that she had to be. Luna felt such pride at this previously unseen side of her good friend.

“Harry says we can’t go on together. He said it will be too dangerous for us to be seen together,” cried a sobbing Ginny.

Luna reached down and took Ginny’s trembling hand into her own. Life could be so cruel; Ginny, who for years had dreamed of just getting Harry to notice her, had finally won his heart. She had just begun to dare to dream new dreams about a future life filled with love and Harry. Today, he was dashing all of her hopes. All Luna and Neville could do for her at this moment was to listen to her sobs and give reassurances that Harry would eventually come around.

Ginny wasn’t so sure. “What if a Death Eater gets him? How could I live without him now?” asked Ginny.

As Ginny started to settle down, the soft summer breeze brought a distant train whistle to them. The whistle was a reminder that there was only a half of an hour for them to get to the Hogsmeade station and get on board of the train to go back home.

Upon reaching the station, Luna went out on the platform to see if Harry was waiting there. She caught a glimpse of Harry, Ron, and Hermione entering the first passenger car of the Hogwarts Express. After the Trio boarded the train, Luna waved for Ginny and Neville to walk out onto the station’s platform.

Neville and Ginny were going to the back of the train to find the first available compartment. Luna marched to the front of the train to find out where the Trio was seated. She was pushing her way through the melancholy crowd of returning students, when she located The Trio in the middle section of the first car. With any luck, Ginny and Harry’s paths would not be crossing on the trip. Luna walked toward the back of the train and checked every compartment until she found the seats that Ginny and Neville had secured. They were seated in the front cubicle in the last car. The trip to King’s Cross Station was a very subdued one. Ginny repeatedly tried to regain her composure. Neville and Luna spent the time quietly planning out what to do when the train arrived in London.

They decided that Neville should stay in the compartment with Ginny when the train arrived at King’s Cross. Luna would exit the train and go through the barrier to scout out the situation. If the Trio was not with the Weasleys, Luna would use her wand and the Protean Charm she had learned from Professor Flitwick to scribe the side of the D.A. Galleon the letters ‘OK’. If they got the all clear from the coin, Ginny and Neville would step through on their own. If any of the Trio was waiting on the platform, she would have to try and get Mrs. Weasley on her own, explain the situation to her, and bring her to Ginny

The first thing, Luna saw after walking through the gateway back into the Muggle world and was Mrs. Weasley standing alone on the platform. After hearing her explanation, Mrs. Weasley told her that Ron and Hermione had already left to go with Harry back to the Dursley’s house. Luna pulled out her wand and uttered the charm marked the message on the large gold coin. After sending her message, she quickly walked over to the side of the platform where her father was standing stood. As Luna finished the explanation of their plans to her father, Neville, Ginny, and their entire luggage was emerged from the pillar.

While Luna would be staying with Ginny back at The Burrow, Neville was going to commute back and forth from his Gran’s house via the Floo Network. The two of them were determine to be there to help Ginny no matter how long it took

Just after breakfast of the second day, Neville and Luna lingered behind in the kitchen to offer to help Mrs. Weasley with the clearing up. They really just wanted a few minutes to talk about Ginny’s situation and try to figure out what they should do to help her. Neville just could not understand how anyone could hurt someone who loved this way. He’d thought he knew Harry. Luna was able to see the reason for Harry’s emotional reaction, but she also was able to see the obvious flaw in his logic that made all of this pain unnecessary. They decided to keep the conversation away from Harry and let Ginny find her way.

The intervening days were taken up with the unbearable preening of Fleur and the equally unbearable sad look in Ginny’s eyes. Luna talked about Crumple-horned Snorkack and Blibbering Humdingers, but Ginny’s mood did not brighten up. The only times that they could get Ginny out of her room were to eat or to have Fleur fuss over the bridesmaid’s dresses that had been made for Ginny and Fleur’s younger sister Gabrielle. Gabrielle, who was even more an outsider in The Burrow than Luna, lingered around Luna and Neville, trying to raise poor Ginny’s spirit.

After breakfast on the day prior to the wedding, Mrs. Weasley motioned for Luna and Neville to remain in the kitchen. “I’d like to thank the two of you for helping Ginny get through this,” whispered the concerned mother as she was watched Ginny slowly walk up the stairs toward her room.

“We’d do anything for Ginny. She’s always been there for us. Right, Luna?” proclaimed Neville.

Luna just smiled. Neville had told the truth about their friendship, but what had made Luna smile was Neville. The Neville she’d met all of those years ago would have neither had the courage nor the words to express such feelings. Neville was truly becoming that firefly.

Molly was smiling back at the pair when she asked, “I think some good old fashioned manual labor might help get Ginny out of the sullens. Normally, I’d have Ron and the twins de-gnome the garden, but they’re not here. So, could you do me a favor and take Ginny and maybe Gabrielle and de-gnome it this morning?”

An hour later under an overcast early morning sky, Neville was instructing Luna and Gabrielle on the best methods to de-gnome a garden. Neville had become quite an expert on the subject, because he had volunteered to help Professor Spout de-gnome the gardens at Hogwarts each of the last two years. Neville’s lesson was so informative and so patiently taught, that even Ginny, an experienced hand at the task, had learned a new trick or two.

Demonstrating a favorite technique, Neville reached down into a hole and, with his right hand, pulled up a gnome. He was showing the best way to hold a gnome so the small beast would not injure you, when Luna saw something familiar in the creature’s face.

“Neville, watch out! You’ve found the secret hiding place of Professor Umbridge,” Luna said pointing to the gnome he was clutching.

Ginny burst out laughing in agreement. Neville, not able to see what was so funny, lifted the small creature up to eye level to get a good look at it when the gnome let out a little cough that even got Neville laughing.

Gabrielle looked at the trio of laughing teenagers, wondering what the joke was. Neville was starting to explain to Gabrielle the reason for the laughter when Luna interrupted him.

“And I just found Malfoy and Crabbe,” laughed Luna. She saw three heads turning toward her as she held onto a squirming gnome in each of her hands.”

“Those gnomes are too intelligent looking to be Crabbe,” giggled Ginny

Neville saw a fourth gnome raise its head above ground and grabbed it with his left hand. He held it up in the air like a prize.

“Vhat is su funny?” asked Gabrielle looking from laughing face to face.

Luna grinned and with great drama in her voice proclaimed, “Ladies, let me tell you the story of the final defeat of the Hogwarts Inquisitorial Squad. Once upon a time there was an evil woman named Dolores Umbridge who got control of the greatest school in all of Britain: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.”

Neville took Luna’s lead and made the gnome in his right hand move back and forth like it was doing a little dance in the air. As Neville was finished she added, “And the evil woman recruited students who thought like see did.” And with that, Luna turned her two gnomes toward to Neville’s gnome and made them bow to the Umbridge gnome.

“But a group of friends, including the brave Ginny of the Bat-Bogey Hex, refused to submit to their evil rule. Alas, the evil Inquisitorial Squad captured the friends and took them to her office,” advised Luna. “However, the clever Hermione of Granger tricked the evil woman and she was taken away by a herd of Centaurs,” announced Luna.

Neville heard Luna’s remark and flung the Umbridge gnome far into the neighboring field. Gabrielle and Ginny cheered as they watched the gnome disappear from sight.

“However, the rest of the friends were still trapped by the squad. What would happen to Luna the Loony, Ron the Jester, Neville the Nice, and Ginny of the Bat-Bogey Hex?” questioned Luna as she turned her back to the other two girls. With her back turned, Luna proclaimed, “Luna the Loony had a plan.” She made the comment as she was turning around making the same face she had made in Umbridge’s office.

Gabrielle began laughing so uncontrollably at the sight of Luna’s face that she lost her balance and fell seated to the ground. Ginny, who knew what to expect, was doubling over with the laughter too.

“While the evil squad laughed at Luna the Loony, Ginny attacked. Ron the Jester helped Neville the Nice defeat Crabbe,” announced Luna as she spun and ejected the Crabbe gnome over the hedge. “And Neville the Nice defeated the ugly troll girl who was attacking Luna the Loony,” she added.

“Hooray for Neville the Nice!” a cheering Gabrielle said in her French accented English.

“But the battle was not over! The leader of evil squad, Malfoy the Mommysboy, squared off against our brave Ginny,” said Luna. Luna and Neville moved the remaining two gnomes around in a circle like they were Muggle boxers. “Ginny struck Malfoy and he went flying,” she said as she spun the Malfoy gnome and launched him into the field.

Hooray for Ginny!” cheered Gabrielle through her laughter.

“Ginny looked down at the foes she had just conquered and gave them her mark. She marked each of them with a Bat-Bogey Hex, which improved their looks immensely. And Ginny and her friends gracefully mounted their Thestrals and flew to London. The End,” Luna finished with a dramatic flourish. At the mention of Thestrals, Neville began to swing the fourth Gnome in a circle and launched it far over the fence.

Gabrielle and Ginny were cheered by the story and praised the performances. Luna noticed that for some reason Neville seemed really embarrassed that Ginny and Gabrielle were complimenting him. The little play was worth any amount of embarrassment though. Ginny seemed to be her old self. It may have been almost a week late, but Ginny Weasley was back from Hogwarts.


On the day of the Bill and Fleur’s wedding, Harry, Ron, and Hermione arrived together. Harry stayed away from not only the Ginny, Neville and Luna; he kept his distance from Mr. and Mrs. Weasley too. The Trio now sat together at a table whispering between themselves.

Luna watched Ginny desperately watch Harry, who was looking everywhere except at Ginny. Ginny who had arranged for Luna and Neville to be invited to the wedding sat with them along with Gabrielle Delacour at a table across the dance floor from Harry. Neville was angry. How could Harry treat Ginny like this? When he had first seen Harry before the wedding, he had to be physically restrained by Luna and Gabrielle to stop him from causing a scene. Luna was still worried that Neville might go off again.

Luna looked at Ginny’s sad expression and realized she could not take it anymore. Today was easily the second saddest day in her young life. She had not been able to do anything about the day her mother had died, but she could still try today. Taking a deep breath, Luna stood up from the table and walked across the dance floor, brushing her way past the dancers in a straight line toward Harry.

Hermione was the first to notice Luna’s approach. “Ron, I’d really like to dance now please,” Hermione spoke with her emphasis on the word now.

“You know I don’t dance,” started Ron before he noticed Luna. “Oh, right! I was just about to ask you anyway,” he added before taking Hermione’s hand.

Harry turned and seemed surprised to find Luna looking down at him. She immediately launched into her practiced speech. “I’ve got one hundred and seventy-seven words to tell you and they may be the last words you may ever hear from me, so listen carefully. I am ashamed of you, Harry Potter. I thought you were a man, but you are really a Blibbering Humdinger. Humdingers sing sweet love songs to entice their prey into the open, and when the song is done they rip the poor creature’s heart out. That’s what you did to Ginny. You say you’re protecting Ginny. How? Did Malfoy ever see you with Ginny? Did Crabbe or Goyle or Parkinson see you two together? Don’t you think Professor Snape heard about your little romance? If they did, he’ll know all about the two of you. I saw you walk into Dumbledore’s funeral holding hands with Ginny and so did Rita Skeeter. Do you think she’ll keep quiet?” queried an angry Luna. She took a second deep breath to try to calm down before continuing. Luna added, “Dumbledore talked about love being our advantage over evil, Harry. You cannot honour his life and continue to hurt her. So unless you change the way you’re acting, we can no longer friends. Goodbye.” She turned on her heels and walked back across the dance floor, bumping into the spinning partners once again and wishing her words might have been more convincing.

Ginny looked panic-stricken at Luna. “What have you done, Luna?” she spoke in an anguished voice.

Luna looked back at Ginny. She wanted to say it was the only chance to salvage anything. She wanted to say it would be all right, but it would all depend on Harry. If Harry were truly the man he should be, it would be all right. Luna could only hope.

“Ginny, would you like to dance with me,” sputtered Harry Potter in a scratchy voice as he appeared behind Ginny. “I’d understand, if you said no,” he added.

Ginny silently nodded and the two of them began to dance. Slowly, Harry pulled Ginny closer until they almost seemed as if they were one person. Even when the music stopped and the other couples started leaving the dance floor, Harry and Ginny kept on dancing. Ginny’s peaceful face was soon visible lying upon Harry’s chest. Luna watched as Hermione led Ron back to the dance floor and joined in the silent lover’s waltz. Arthur Weasley reached over and took Molly’s hand, and they became the third couple joined on the dance floor.

When the music started again, Neville asked Luna if she’d like to dance, but she answered no. He asked Gabrielle who immediately replied yes. Luna watched only Harry dancing with Ginny. On the floor, Harry whispered something to Ginny. She saw a look of contentment blossom on Ginny’s face and all seened to be right with the world. Luna knew that somewhere beyond the veil, Albus Dumbledore was now smiling.