Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Tear in Time by Cossette

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

"Full to bursting with Muggles, as usual," Mrs. Potter sighed exasperatedly as she pulled her seventeen-year-old son behind her. Mr. Potter and Sirius Black were trailing behind them, both pushing heavy trolleys with a trunk and an owl each. Sirius was James Potter's best friend and had been staying with the Potters for over a year now, ever since he had run away from his own dreadful parents. He was practically a member of the family. James thought his mother was about to yank his arm out of his socket when she suddenly let go. Mr. Potter and Sirius stopped next to them. They were all standing before the divide between the Muggle platforms nine and ten. His mother turned to the two boys with watery eyes.

"Well, here we are, then," She said with a wavering voice. James rolled his hazel eyes and adjusted his glasses to a more comfortable position on his thin nose. Of course, this was so typical of his mother. She pulls them along like the train is about to leave so that she can have her long, emotional good-bye.

"Mum," He said bluntly, "Must we go through this every year? I'm just going to school."

"Yeah, Mrs. Potter. He'll be back for Christmas," Sirius said with a grin, a lock of soft black hair falling into his dark eyes. He had stylish black hair and a very handsome face, with eyes that were so dark blue that they looked black.

"We know," His father said, clapping him on the shoulder, "But the house is just so quiet without you around."

"Yes. And this is your very last year. Soon, you'll be moving out and... and... and..." She sniffled loudly, words lost to her, and had to fish around in her purse for a tissue. Sirius patted her reassuringly on the shoulder. His father picked up for her.

"And you'll be a man. Out there all alone. Without us. It's a tough thought," He said softly, looking more solemn than he normally would.

"Ok... here's a question," James said with a sigh, "Why did we wait until we were in the middle of the train station to have this conversation? Was there something wrong with the car, or did you want an audience for mum's emotional breakdown?"

This got a chuckle from his father, who ruffled James' already terribly untidy black hair. His father's huge palms practically covered his son's whole head and knocked the poor boy's glasses all askew. Lovingly, his mother fixed them for him and licked her finger, rubbing a smudge off his cheek. Annoyed, James pulled away, rubbing his cheek. Sirius couldn't help but smirk.

"Mum!" He said, "Stop it."

"I'm sorry, baby," She said with a watery smile, "I guess it's just hard to let go of the old habits. I can't help but see that cute little boy with his finger always in his nose when I Iook at you... You were so cute..."

"Mum. You're making it sound like I'm never coming back," James said, checking his watch. Fifteen minutes until the train left, time to wrap this up. He leaned forward and gave his mom a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek. She hugged him back for a good minute before James finally managed to pry himself from her grip. Then he turned to his father, who gave him the trolley, a smile, and a good firm handshake.

"Well, son. Have a good year. And take care," James smiled back at his dad.

"Thanks, dad," He said, backing away.

Sirius got a quick, but loving hug from Mrs. Potter and a manly handshake from Mr. Potter, and then it was time for them to go.

"We love you, baby," His mother called as they started walking towards the barrier, "Don't forget to write often! You too, Sirius!"

James waved over his shoulder to let them know he heard and winked at Sirius, then he passed through the barrier to platform nine and three quarters and lost sight of them...

The platform was bustling and buzzing with activity as it had been every year since James and Sirius had first come here seven years ago. Students and parents were milling everywhere, piles of luggage and cages with owls were everywhere. Cats weaved and meowed underfoot, making walking a challenge. And before him was the legendary scarlet locomotive, the Hogwarts Express. It was humming gently in anticipation of its journey.

But these were familiar sights to them, and they only spared them a quick glance before peering through the crown again. They didn't spot any of their friends right away, so they started down the side of the train, looking into each compartment as they went. Finally in a compartment closer to the back they found who they were looking for.

"Hey, Moony, Wormtail. Did you have a good summer?" James asked as he and Sirius hefted their trunks into the compartment.

Moony was Remus Lupin, and Wormtail was Peter Pettigrew, and they were James and Sirius' other best friends. The four boys had been inseparable since first year.

Remus snapped shut the book he was reading and cast them a little smile, the premature crow's feet around his brown eyes crinkling up. He was tall, very thin, pale and sickly looking. He had light brown hair and a thin face.

"Well you would know if you had taken the time to write," He said with a chuckle. He wasn't actually bothered. He knew perfectly well that James and Sirius never picked up a quill unless it was a dire emergency.

"I had a great summer," Peter said happily, his neck fat wobbling animatedly as he talked. Peter was very short and a little chubby, with a pointed nose, protruding chin, and small watery blue eyes. His lank hair was the color of dirty dish water and his two front teeth were a little large.

"Me and my family took a cruise to Jamaica and we went snorkeling and canoeing and scuba diving and--"

"What's a scuba?" James asked curiously.

"Yeah," added Sirius, "And why would you dive for it?" Both of came from Pure blood families; they knew nothing of Muggle ways.

Remus began to explain that scuba wasn't a thing, it was a type of muggle activity, he would know because he was half-blood. However, James wasn't listening. He was busy staring at a girl a few cars up. A sloppy grin formed on his face.

"I'll be right back..." he said absently to his friends and started towards the girl.

Lily Evans was struggling to get her heavy trunk in the train car. She was in James' year and house, and was the apple of his eye. He had had a crush on her for years now. She had long, luscious red hair that fell in soft waves around her delicate face. Currently it was hanging in her brilliantly green almond-shaped eyes that he loved so much. They probably would have been together by now if it wasn't for one very big problem. Lily hated James.

He approached confidently and leaned against the train, flashing Lily a winning smile. At the sight of him, her frown only grew in intensity.

"What do you want, Potter?" She snapped with what little breath she had. The luggage was truly heavy, and the train was nearly ready to leave.

"I just want to help you," He said honestly.

"I don't want your help," She said irritably. "So just go away."

"Aw, come now Lils. I'm just trying to be a gentleman."

Lily let out a strained laugh.

"Sure. That's all you were trying to do," She said. "Like I believe for a second that you just wanted to help, not show off your strength or chivalry. There's always an ulterior motive for you, Potter. And another thing, don't call me Lils. Or Lilykins, or Tiger Lily, or any of your other cute little pet names."

"Oh, you think they're cute, do you?" James said with a grin.

Just then she dropped the trunk painfully on her toe. She swore loudly and sat on the cursed thing, holding the sore foot.

"Need some help?" Three people with trolleys came walking up to them then, Sadie Lewis, Calvin Eastwood, and Claire Eastwood, who was the one who had spoken. They were Lily's best friends.

Calvin and Claire were twins and had known Lily since their parents had put them in the same play group together at a church function when they were three. They had grown up together and were, consequently, the best of friends. Well, Claire was anyway, Calvin just liked Lily because she hung out with his sister.

Claire was tall, thin, and well toned. She wasn't a body-builder, but she definitely had muscle. Her brown hair was wildly curly and seemed to defy all gravity. She had a thin, heart-shaped face and brown eyes with long lashes.

Calvin was equally tall, and had blonde hair that was every bit as curly as Claire's. His eyes were blue and framed by coke bottle specs that he wished more than anything he could get rid of. He had strong features and a delicate splash of freckles. He was not as well-toned as Claire, but he wasn’t scrawny either.

Sadie looked like a little porcelain doll, with short straightblack hair that made her pale skin stand out in stark contrast. She had soft, kind grey eyes and was very short and delicate looking. She had met Lily and the twins first year, when they had all been put into Gryffindor house.

"Oh. Yes, thank you Claire," Lily said, standing up gratefully. Claire hefted the trunk up and shoved it into place with a slight grunt as if it were barely heavier than a stack of a few phone books. James frowned.

"Oh, so you won't let me help you because you'd rather have Claire do it?"

"Yeah, pretty much," Lily said coolly.

"Did you have a nice summer, James?" Sadie asked quickly in an attempt to change the subject and veer away from the fight they all knew was coming. Lily and James were just too predictable together. Sadly, James ignored her.

"Why are you always like this, Lily?"

"Like what?"

"I came over here because I saw that you were having trouble with your luggage. Every time I try to be nice to you, you just blow me off like some kind of jerk!"

"Because you ARE some kind of jerk!"

"I am not a jerk all the time!"

"I have yet to see you ONCE do something completely and totally selfless, James Potter."

"The train's about to--" Claire started, but James interrupted her.

"I can be selfless; you just refuse to believe it! I'm always helping other people!"

"No you're not! You're just concerned about what's best for you and--!"

"--Shut the bloody hell up, the both of you!" Calvin snapped. Claire had already loaded everyone else's luggage and the platform was completely empty, the train was about to leave, "Now stop shouting and get on the damn train, Lily. Or they'll leave you behind. Potter, just go back to your friends. There's no need to start the school year fighting with each other."

They glared at each other a moment longer before Lily stepped up into her compartment. She was about to close the door in his face when James stopped her. He looked her straight in the eye.

"Listen, Evans. I know you hate my guts, but you're going to have to learn to deal with me because I'm the Head Boy. And if Dumbledore isn't completely off his rocker, you're Head Girl. So let's try and get along, eh?"

With that he left, and Lily was standing there, looking completely stunned. She was the Head Girl to James' Head Boy. It was a nightmare.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~




Ok, I'm sorry that this took so long to post, but it took a long time to get it approved. I'm not so good with the writing part of writing, you see... Lot's of misplaced punctuation and stuff.



BUT here it is, and I'll be more careful about proofreading the next chapter, I promise.