Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Light Up My Life by KASK

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The title of this chapter is the song 'Make Me Lose Control' by Eric Carmen -- something Lily doesn't have a problem making James do.

Thank you, Preethi. You're wonderful!
Chapter Four – Make Me Lose Control

Operation Evans was put on hold after my first day of observation. It was put on the back burner for another project. Every second we weren’t in class, pranking or playing Quidditch, we were researching how to become Animagi. Even the teachers noticed a severe decline in pranks. But Moony came first, a prefect or not.

October quickly fell into November. Winter, as far as I was concerned, officially began. That was when my inspiration to get on revenge on Evans returned. It was exactly a month after the last incident. I noticed that our little showdowns seemed to occur in intervals. And every one of them began to direct more toward me than any of the other Marauders. I’m not sure why – I guess she thought me to be the worst. Fortunately, the school had realized that Padfoot and I were not romantically involved not too long after Lily Evans declared it so.

Norah and I had gotten back together not long after I asked Lily Evans out. She told me she couldn’t understand why I would go after Lily. Then she asked me why I did. I went with the classic “to make you jealous” answer. Norah went for it, of course, and responded by telling me that I always had her love.

So Norah and I could be seen holding hands, hugging in the halls and kissing in various places. I was happy. I was always happy around Norah, I learned. She understood me, and I understood her. It felt right when I was with her. And I floated on a cloud since we had gotten back together.

Sirius, on the other hand, cleared his image by dating several of the biggest gossipers in the school. He didn’t like it much though and decided it wasn’t such as good plan. After Bertha Jorkins, he declared ‘Never again’ and set higher standards for the next few dates.

We had been so busy with the Animagi work that we had completely neglected our pranks. We were so close though, that we decided we could take a day off. I always found it funny how Remus could go from a disapproving prefect to the mastermind of a prank. It was an interesting transition.

It wasn’t one of our best pranks, but with one day to plan, it was the best we could come up with. It would have been bloody funny too. The plan was to use a clever little spell we learned to get a lucky girl to go around saying things like ‘Professor Slughorn, will you stir my cauldron?’ and ‘Madam Pomfrey can heal my wounds any day.’ Okay, so it wasn’t the cleverest idea, but it was a prank.

Moony was going to do the spell on whatever girl was closest to us. Coincidentally, it happened to be Lily Evans’ friend Aletta. It was all in order. We were positioned perfectly, concealed behind a couch. The only problem was, just as he was about to say the spell, two stupid first years zoomed by. Needless to say, he lost his aim and misspoke the incantation. But it did get her and somehow the table next to her.

It looked like she was being attacked, from what we could see. There was green smoke everywhere and pieces of wood flying in all directions. So we didn’t have the clearest view – it was a bit hazy.

“Uh-oh,” Sirius whispered, unable to remove his eyes from the scene in front of us. I glanced at Remus, who looked utterly horrified and Peter, who seemed somewhat fascinated. I lingered somewhere between the two. I didn’t want anyone to get hurt, but it would be a good story to tell in a few weeks.

After the smoke cleared, a few of Aletta’s friends took her to the Hospital Wing. She didn’t look good at all. One of her arms was severely burned and her hair was frizzed out like an afro, which Sirius was sure to make noticed by shouting out, “It’s a good look for you.” The table bits had hit quite a few people, but Evans mended their cuts. I didn’t know where she learned to do it, for I had never seen a student heal even minor cuts. I have to say, I was a bit impressed.

I thought we got out of it. I thought, or hoped, that maybe Evans forgot about the ordeal while she was helping all of the injured – wrong. After everything was settled and Moony repaired the table, she strode over to us.

“What did you do, Potter?” she demanded coldly. I couldn’t believe it when she addressed me! Why did she single me out? She must have seen the spell coming from Moony’s wand. She wasn’t that thick. How could she just blame the whole thing on me? I was only a quarter of it all.

“Me?” I asked, outraged. “How do you figure it was me?”

“Who else would it be?” What was wrong with this girl? She was clearly a lunatic.

“All of us!” I exclaimed, turning around. There was no one there. Drat. While I was watching Evans mend the cuts, they must have gone up to the dorm and I didn’t notice or follow. Sirius tapped my shoulder, but I didn’t pay any attention. Why didn’t I turn around?

“They were here!”

Evans smirked. It was like she knew I was partially innocent, but liked putting the blame on me. How I hated her!

“Right, Potter. I’ll be reporting you to Professor McGonagall.” Her eyes were testy.

“Go ahead,” I replied coolly. I wanted her to report me, so that I wouldn’t have to listen to her. Wrong again…

“You know, Potter, I’m really sick of your immature pranks, attention-seeking stunts and your night time meandering. Your comments in class and arrogant Quidditch antics are getting incredibly old and unnecessary. You act like a child and I would really like for you to try to refrain, as hard as it may be. There is no one in the school who likes attention as much as you do. It doesn’t impress anyone; you may be shocked to hear. You just look like an idiot. No one finds you charming or whatever you aim for, so try a new approach.”

I don’t know if she rehearsed the speech or what, but it made me angry. I felt like boiling water in a cauldron. I couldn’t contain it. It wasn’t even me! What was she talking about? Everyone seemed to like me. I never heard anyone say they thought of me as idiotic. And I was no worse than Sirius! I liked to joke and did show off a little bit, but was more contained with Norah. Why did Lily Evans have some personal grudge against me?

It was the look in her eyes that drove me nuts, like she was proving something by saying those words. I clenched my fist in anger.

“Who the hell are you to tell me how to live my life? You’re not my goddamn keeper! I don’t need someone like you telling me what to do.” I yelled. How could I keep from yelling? Lily Evans was impossible. What did I do to her? Who did she think she was? “You’ve never even laughed a day in your life. You call me conceited and arrogant, yet you think that because you’re a prefect you can tell everyone around you how to live their lives.”

She wasn’t affected by my angry screaming. Although, her eyes did look glossy. Maybe she was about to cry; I didn’t care. She just turned around and strode to her dorm. I moodily stalked to mine as well. I didn’t know why she always singled me out and seemed to hate me. I didn’t care. I never wanted to see her again. I didn’t ever want to hear her voice again

I was at the end of telling Remus, Peter and Sirius what happened when Norah came into the room.

“I heard what happened,” she said, coming to sit down next to me. I nodded. I figured she would have.

“Wasn’t Evans out of line?” I asked, still angry. Norah just shrugged and then sighed.

“I dunno, James. I mean, she was, but you should give her some slack. I know she hasn’t been nice to you, but she’s going through a rough time, and seems to take it out on you unintentionally.” I really didn’t feel differently. I didn’t care what Lily Evans was going through, not until later that night, anyway.

Norah touched my hand gently and I put my arm around her. One thing that I’ll never forget about Norah was the way she smelled. It was fresh, as if she had just gotten out of the shower. I loved that smell.

I tilted my head inward, so I was closer to her hair and took a breath. I didn’t think I could be happier with anyone else.