Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Light Up My Life by KASK

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I'm really excited to be back! I should be updating this a lot more, now that everything is settling down.

This chapter is Rain King by Counting Crows.

Thank you Rachel_Marie for Beta'ing. :]
Chapter Eight – Rain King

I belong in the service of the queen.
I belong anywhere but in between.
She’s been crying; I’ve been thinking.
And I am the rain king.
--Counting Crows, Rain King



“Prongs! JAMES!” There was a dull roar of commotion around me – the light blinding my eyes, Sirius scrambling for his books, Remus drying his wet hair.

“What – ” I began groggily.

“We’re late! Care of Magical – seven minutes!” There was an air of urgency in Sirius’ voice as he sniffed a shirt, shrugged, and pulled it over his head. I laughed to myself, knowing that if Sirius was late, it’d be his third strike and he’d get a detention. Usually this wouldn’t faze any of us, but Sirius really hated Care of Magical Creature detentions. He figured that the bites and scratches, burns and fatigue were not worth being late the third time. In five years, Kettleburn was the only teacher to instill that in Sirius.

“Damn,” I swore under my breath, climbing out of bed. There was no way I’d make it. “I’m just gonna skip… tell Kettleburn that I’m sick and tell Norah that I’ll see her later.”

The second after I said it, I was glad I did. It was raining pellets out. There was even a clap of thunder in the distance. I didn’t want to have to walk through that. Besides, why wasn’t it snowing? Stupid weather.

Remus nodded, grabbing his bag and following Peter out the door. After seeing Remus disappear through the door, I sank back into my bed – my cold bed. That was one thing I hated. How when I got out of bed, even for a few minutes, it’d never be the same when I crawled back in. The warmth would always slip away into the air, and the dent that cradled my head would disappear. Why couldn’t I be able to get into the same comfortable spot? Why couldn’t the bed just stay molded to my body? I never knew.

I thought about this for a while and realized that it wasn’t always bad. It was not bad when, upon re-entering bed, a better position was found or more warmth was created. When I found that I was happier on my stomach than on my back was when I was glad that the bed wasn’t molded. Nothing should be set in stone like that. You’d never know what you were missing if something better never came along. I would eventually learn to think of life like that.

About twenty minutes later, I heard footsteps coming toward the door of our dormitory. My eyes snapped shut, thinking someone was sent to check on me. I wish I could have said it was out of concern, but it wouldn’t have been. It would’ve been because ‘James Potter’ and ‘sick’ went together a little too often.

Honestly, I never got sick. I was the healthiest student in the school. Healthy as a thestral, I liked to say. So I figured, because I was never sick, I deserved a few sick days. I mean, other kids got to miss class when they were feeling under the weather. Why shouldn’t I? It wasn’t fair to deny me that, just because I was blessed with a strong immune system.

But it sounded more than the nurse coming to take a peek at my health status. There were a lot of footsteps. Angry footsteps.

The door burst open.

Padfoot, Moony and Wormtail piled into the room, each wearing a disgruntled look.

I sat up in bed, surveying each of their angry faces.

“What happened? Kettleburn put that spell on so you couldn’t hear the lesson again?” I asked, laughing a little bit. They didn’t laugh though. Boy, were their knickers in a twist!

“What’s the date?” Sirius asked, mouth tight.

“Hell if I know. December seventeenth, I think.”

“Exactly!” He threw a finger into the air. “Saturday, December seventeenth.”

Another look at their frustrated faces and I was sent over the edge.

“It’s not funny!” Remus threw a pillow at me.

I fell back into bed, clutching my stomach and barely able to breathe. It wasn’t just the situation; it was the whole thing. From them waking me and rushing out the door to their stone faces and their sopping clothes and hair. It was hilarious.

“Well, while you’re having a right laugh at our expense, I’m going back to sleep.” Sirius dried himself with a wave of his wand and dramatically crawled into bed, mumbling something about pneumonia. I closed my eyes, trying to sleep too, but in the end opted for a shower.

The floor was cool on my bare feet, causing goosebumps to erupt on my arms. I walked groggily, the room dark from the closed curtains and grayness of the rain. So groggily that I didn’t even know what hit me until I was on the ground, back aching from the impact.

I lucked out of the rain, but of course, I got an effect of it. Sirius, Remus and Peter left their puddles on the ground and I just happened to walk through one of them and slip. With a mingle of laughter and groaning, I struggled to rise, finding that if I move a certain way, my back would pound.

But after about a minute, I was up, rubbing my tender back but continuing my journey to the bathroom.

Like a phoenix, I thought smugly, reveling in my own strength.

And a minute later, I was in the shower, pulsations of pain through my body gradually decreasing. As the steam filled the shower, warm water soothing my muscles, my mind began to drift.

In five days, I was going to be on the train home. Call me a Seer, but I knew exactly how it was going to go. My mum would pick me up at the train station right on time, ecstatic to see me, and full of all sorts of questions about my life, from school to my friends to Norah. Then she’d ask me what I wanted for dinner. Anything in the whole wide world, she’d say. And when I’d answer, she’d wink and say that it was already on the stove.

It got a little bit trickier when I tried to imagine my arrival at home. I knew my father, so I knew that he’d bring it up. When was the question. Maybe the day after I arrived. Yes, that made sense. He’d call me into his office ask me about my plans. And, of course, I would tell him. I’d tell him that I had the same plan as the last time we spoke, that I had always had that plan, that I would always have that plan. He would stare at me for a moment, sizing me up, and like clockwork, his eyebrows would furrow together. He’d ask me why I didn’t want anything real, why I couldn’t be more like him. He’d tell me that he loved me and he only wanted what was best. And my plans weren’t best.

Then I would shrug with the knowledge that indifference drives him crazy. Be this or be that, pick a side and stand for it. Whether it’s right or wrong, it doesn’t matter, as long as it’s what you believe in. Don’t just be in the middle, thinking you can go onto the winning one when it’s all done, was what my father always said.

He’d get angrier and I would too. So I’d slam the door of his office, wondering why he never thought about what I wanted. And as soon as I would leave, he would wonder why his son wasn’t more sensible.

That was the way our recent outbreak of fights had been anyway, so I figured the one coming would be the same.

I turned up the water, not wanting to think about my father, not wanting to think about much of anything.

Sirius, Peter and Remus were fast asleep when I got out of the shower, careful to look where I stepped. I played with the idea of shaking my wet head off on Sirius, but decided against it. I didn’t feel like opening that can of worms. I loved to prank people, but us against them. Us against us never worked. We knew each other’s tricks too well so it wasn’t as fun. It was the four of us against everyone else. That was the way we all liked it.

I dressed quickly, hoping to do a little flying after breakfast. So I sped down the stairs into the common room with my broom, ready to run to the Great Hall to grab something to eat. It wasn’t until I heard the angry grumble of thunder did I remember the weather. I didn’t mind flying in the cold or the rain, but flying in rain with a temperature just above freezing didn’t appeal to me. Well, not that day, at least.

Not as eager to eat, I sunk into a chair, rerouting my day. I needed a pick-me-up, something to raise my spirits. The worst part was that, for me, it was flying. When I flew, I was on top of the world (literally too, I suppose). There was nothing like it. Well, except pranking… Smiling, I knew what I needed – a good laugh. After all, break was in a few days and I wanted to go off with a boom.

Feeling better at the prospect of a good prank (hopefully on Snape), I bounded off to breakfast, planning on consulting Sirius, Remus and Peter when I returned…if they were up yet.

***


“Ugly day out.”

I grimaced as a loud clap of thunder echoed through the Great Hall. I could care less about the weather, with two exceptions. One, when it interfered with Quidditch or flying, and two, when it interrupted my breakfast. This storm had done both that day. Therefore, I could not overlook it.

“I’m glad I don’t have to go out in it.”

I saw Norah frown out of the corner of my eye.

“Aren’t we going to Hogsmeade?” she asked, and I could hear her spirits drop.

Damn. Hogsmeade. It was announced about two weeks ago and Norah asked me if I wanted to go. Of course, I had completely forgotten.

“I – it’s terrible out, Norah. I really don’t – ” I took in a breath. At my words, her face visibly fell.

“I just thought it’d be fun, to spend the day together.” She shrugged. “It seems like we’ve just been passing by each other lately. And I still have to get a Christmas present for my mother…”

I hated seeing her so disappointed. It made me uneasy, it really did, but seeing that heavy rain did too. I really did not want to walk to Hogsmeade and then walk around Hogsmeade in that, especially to search for a present for Norah’s mother. That would take forever.

And then there was the prank. How would we plan it if I were stuck in Hogsmeade? The whole situation was just lose-lose.

“It’s fine, James. You don’t have to. I’ll just go by myself.” She turned away from me.

“Are you sure?” I asked, knowing it wasn’t fine but wanting to play dumb to evade having to go.

She just nodded, still not looking in my direction. Having won a small victory, I kissed her cheek. “You’re wonderful.”

I got up to head back to the common room, and when I did, I met Lily Evans’ eyes. She had been watching and listening to the whole conversation.

When I returned, Remus, Peter and Sirius were still asleep, something I expected. So I went to the common room to sit in a squashy chair, maybe read or doze off or something.

I closed my eyes and rested my head against the chair; the thump, thump, thump of the rain on the castle provided a lullaby and I began to drift.

“James. JAMES!” I practically jumped out of the chair. One second it was the warmth of the fire and the rhythm of the rain, the next, screaming in my ear.

“What?” What did Norah want now?

“You don’t want to come to Hogsmeade because you want to sleep in a chair?”

What was her problem?

“No, I don’t want to go to Hogsmeade because it’s raining like hell out there,” I responded, gathering my thoughts after my abrupt awakening. The rain was a perfectly sensible reason to not want to go to Hogsmeade with her. Why couldn’t she see that?

“I was talking to one of my roommates, and she brought up a very good point, you promised me you’d go. When someone says they’ll do something, they should do it! I mean, it’s just a little rain. You won’t die or melt or anything if you go out there. You’ve played Quidditch in much worse weather!”

“That’s completely different, Norah. I don’t have a choice with Quidditch. And I promised before I knew it was going to be miserable out.”

As I spoke to Norah, my head began to pound. My blood began to rush; I could feel it pulsing through my ears, anger seeping through my veins. There was nothing like a good argument, one to really keep me sharp. I usually left that to Evans, since Norah and I barely ever fought. She was very non-confrontational.

Evans.

I jumped out of my seat, disliking the power Norah had by looking down at me and yelling.

“And which ‘roommate’ were you talking to? Lily Evans?” Of course it was. I knew Evans. Even when we had a truce, she wanted to cause problems.

Norah’s face turned red. “What does it matter?” she asked, her voice a little less sure.

“What does it matter?” I exploded, hands flying outward. “She hates me! She just wants to cause problems between us!” I didn’t actually think this was true. I was pretty sure she didn’t hate me anymore, but it sounded better. Blame it all on Lily being ridiculous and wanting to sabotage my relationship. In honesty, I didn’t want to fight with Norah. I didn’t like to fight with her. It wasn’t the same as fighting with Lily or Snape. Seeing Norah looking angry and yelling just rubbed me the wrong way.

“Don’t start this, James. This is probably news for you, but Lily’s life does not revolve around ruining yours. And what was with all the crap about you and Lily ‘making peace’ and how you’re friends now? I guess it was just a lie!”

I closed my eyes, head still aching.

“I’ll go,” I said through clenched teeth. “I will go to Hogsmeade with you, Norah.”

When I opened my eyes, her hands were folded defensively in front of her and her mouth was a thin line.

“Don’t go if you don’t want to, James,” her voice was dangerous. I looked at her for a moment, and decided that she looked cute angry.

“I want to,” I said, much softer, walking toward her a little bit. “Come here,” I whispered, pulling her close to me. Merlin, I loved her.

***


“Ready?” Norah asked, holding her hand out to me. I nodded, taking it, and bracing myself to walk outside. The rain had lightened a bit, so that was a positive.

“Here,” she said, handing me a green umbrella. “Good idea, right?”

I smiled, pulling out my wand instead of taking the umbrella she offered.

“Engorgio,” I muttered, pointing my wand at the umbrella.

“That was a good idea,” Norah smiled as I opened the umbrella, which would now ensure not a drop of rain touched us. She comfortably settled by my side and we began the long walk to the village.

Not many people were going, a few couples and a few groups of friends. Only the brave or the extreme last-minute shoppers ventured out. Well, and me. I wasn’t being brave by going and I didn’t have anymore shopping to do. I was just being forced.

I kept my eyes on the ground, hoping to avoid stepping in the pool-like puddles of water. So it wasn’t until I saw their feet did I notice there were two people walking in front of us. And it wasn’t until they raised their voices could I hear them over the pattering of the rain.

“He’s an idiot, Lily. A Hufflepuff Mud– idiot. Why don’t you just date Potter or Black? This guy is just as bad as them. He’s a sod-head.”

I looked up at the sound of my name, which was spat out. It disgusted me to even hear my strong, dignified last name on Snape’s lips, who, by the way, was the real sod-head. My fist curled around the umbrella and I opened my mouth, ready to teach him a lesson, when I stopped myself. I wanted to hear their conversation more than I wanted to crush Snape’s ugly face in. And that was saying something, because I honestly hated Snape more than any other person in the world.

Lily turned on Severus quickly, her dry hair flying over one shoulder. How was her hair dry? Then I remembered, this was the talented Lily Evans. Of course she would know a spell, something that never even occurred to me.

“Everyone is an ‘idiot’ compared to you, huh, Severus? Why do you even care who I date? It’s none of your business.” I couldn’t see her eyes through the rain, but I imagined them. They were probably flashing emeralds, the way she would look at me.

He was gaping for words and I loved to see him squirm. At least Lily could put him in his place.

“I-I just look out for you, Lily,” Snape said. I wanted to laugh out loud. Look out for her? Yeah, right. He liked her and he wanted her all to himself. He didn’t want her to date some guy. And, for the first time in my life, I could actually see where Severus Snape was coming from.

“Look out for me?” she exploded, something I had witnessed so many times. “By calling perfectly-nice boys ‘Mudbloods’?” Snape’s face whitened and I was completely gleeful. “Yes, I heard what you were going to say. And bringing Potter and Black up? Why would you even mention them?”

“I’ve told you a hundred times! Potter fancies you! Why don’t you believe me?”

At this point, Norah looked at me strangely. I guess she was listening too. I smiled and shook my head. Snape was obviously off his rocker, no surprise to me…the little freak.

“Hey, Snape.” He was obviously so stupid that he didn’t notice us walking behind him. Surprised, he turned around.

“She finds it hard to believe because James is holding his girlfriend’s hand right now,” Norah called over the rain, laughing a little. I lifted our linked hands, beginning to laugh too. That look on Snape’s face, oh, it was priceless. He opened his mouth to say something, but closed it after a few seconds. His hair and face were dripping from the rain. Obviously, Lily didn’t teach him the spell. His face was red and looked strangled, like he wanted to retort so badly but had nothing to say…that was a first.

Instead, he glared at me for a moment, something I returned with a smile. “I’ll talk to you later, Lily,” he choked out and then sped up his walking and disappeared.

“Well, at least he got a shower,” I said, rather loudly, hoping he could hear me. Norah laughed a little, and to my surprise, so did Lily. She fell into step with us, her body still repelling the rain. Norah linked arms with her. Apparently, they were friends?

“Honestly, Lil, I don’t know why you talk to Snape. Mary and I were talking, and he’s really no good for you.”

Lily just shrugged, catching my eye. Norah didn’t even notice that our eyes were locked.

“...But you and Evander, don’t let Snape get in the way. You two are perfect together, right James?”

I looked at Lily for another second, her green eyes…her red hair…the way she looked back at me, like she could read every thought going through my head. I couldn’t answer Norah’s question, so I looked away, still feeling Lily’s eyes on me and wondering if Norah noticed anything, hoping she didn’t.

Norah and Lily continued to talk while I watched the rain descend from the sky and splash onto the ground, wondering what I really felt for Norah or Lily.