Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Peeves and the Blue Fairy by FenrirG

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The story is my own, but the characters and setting belong purely to Ms. J.K. Rowling.
“I was afraid we might encounter this little snag.”

The manic smile did not leave Filch’s face; he hardly seemed to have noticed Professor Dumbledore’s words. In fact, he had not even registered the pair of iridescent wings beating slowly on the Potionmaster’s back.

“Professor?” inquired Snape with icy politeness.

Albus Dumbledore was thinking carefully. Nearly a full minute elapsed before he opened his eyes. “I suppose that is excellent news, Argus,” said Dumbledore lightly. (Peeves bristled in indignation.) “I suggest you go tell Mrs. Norris immediately. I’m sure she’ll be just as delighted as the rest of us.”

Cackling with glee, Filch shuffled out.

As soon as the door shut behind the caretaker, Snape took to the air. His electric blue wings were remarkably similar in color to the headmaster’s eyes. “Professor Dumbledore,” said Snape coldly, suspended several feet in the air, “Would you kindly remove these wings from my back immediately!”

“I’m afraid I can’t do that, Severus,” said Dumbledore. His voice was grave, but the twinkle in his eyes indicated that he was trying with great difficulty to fight off a smile. “Those wings were granted to you by a very powerful brand of magic, and only powerful magic can take them away.”

Peeves could no longer contain himself; he cackled in delight. “Ickle Fairy Snape, doomed to flutter the dungeons for eternity!”

“THAT DOES IT,” roared Snape, forgetting completely that he was in the presence of the headmaster. Landing on the floor and rolling up his powder-blue sleeves (the trim was lacy), he pointed his shimmering wand directly at the little boy. “LEVICORPUS.”

Three large bubbles blossomed from the sapphire star at the wand’s tip. Professor Dumbledore leaned back in his chair, humming contentedly as he watched the bubbles drift lazily toward the high ceiling of his office.

The Blue Fairy lowered his wand, shaking in rage. “Professor Dumbledore,” he said, and for the first time there was a hint of desperation in his voice. “Classes start tomorrow. What must be done to rid myself of this curse?”

Dumbledore gave a little sigh and removed his half-moon spectacles. Ignoring Snape’s question, he leaned forward and looked Peeves dead in the eye. “Mr. Peeves, it appears that you have inadvertently invoked a very powerful enchantment. Not only have you miraculously turned into a human being, but you have also found yourself a Fairy godmother. As long as you remain in your present state, our dear Potionsmistress”beg pardon, Potionsmater”will be bound to protect you.”

The headmaster turned to Professor Snape. “Fortunately, there is a way to return Peeves to his traditional form. If I am not mistaken, Peeves became a boy because he consumed a dosage of Velleserum with an unanticipated addition. Fairy dust, perhaps?”

Snape nodded.

“I suggest you brew another batch of the potion, without our young friend’s culinary experimentations.”

Snape looked aghast. “That potion took nearly four months to brew, and it was not even completed when it was ruined.”

“Yes,” said Dumbledore sagely, “I’m afraid so. However it is the only way.”

“But the other teachers”and the students. They will never take me seriously as long as I have these.” He jerked a thumb over his shoulder to point at the fairy wings, which were beginning to droop rather sadly. “I simply cannot teach like this.”

“My dear Severus,” replied Dumbledore, “I’m afraid those wings are the least of your worries. As dazzling as your dress robes look on you, they rather remind me of what my Great Aunt Grizelda used to wear to family weddings. Certainly your students will find your sudden change in fashion far more distracting than your new appendages.”

Peeves tittered, and the headmaster turned his attention to the boy once more. “Now, Peeves,” he said, not unkindly. “You call yourself Percival at times, I believe? Then I suppose I am honored to extend an invitation to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to one Mr. Percival Peeves.” Dumbledore raised a hand to silence Snape’s howl of protest and Peeves’ cry of delight. “You both must know this: the new batch of Velleserum will only work if our new students drinks it and wishes with all his heart to be returned to his normal state.”

“I shan’t!” cried Peeves. He stuck his tongue out at Snape. “You’ll keep your pretty little wings forever!”

Dumbledore frowned. “Percival, if you accept your spot at Hogwarts, you will be held to the exact same standard as every other students to pass through its doors. You must show proper respect to your professors.”

A smile was slowly spreading across Snape’s face. “Don’t worry, Professor Dumbledore,” he said, and his voice regained some of its usual silkiness. “By the time the potion is ready, I daresay Mr. Peeves will very much regret today’s wish. In fact, I believe he will be begging me for the potion that will restore him to the… ah, painless existence of a ghost.”

Dumbledore did not appear to be listening. He had conjured up a set of darts, and seemed very intent on popping the three large bubbles now resting on the ceiling.