Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Becoming a Dark Lord by FinalCow

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I don't own Herbal Essence but I do owe them thanks.

“You promise to tell me as soon as he gets here?”

“Of course. I wouldn’t let you miss this; it was your idea.”

“Thanks, do you have any idea when he’ll be here?”

“Probably Saturday. Don’t worry; I have it under control.”

“Well, if you’re sure. Bye then.”

“Bye-bye honey bun.”

---------------------

I had to spend my next off day doing laundry duty. Turns out Voldemort actually went to his fitting and got some new robes. Merlin, I hoped I didn’t have to pay for them out of pocket again. I Apparated by Violet’s shop and trudged in.

“Sunshine!” Does that woman have nothing better to do than sit here and wait to make my life miserable? It’s bad enough I’m surrounded by the optimistic employers at work; can’t there be some good old fashioned pessimism on my off days? Apparently it was too much to ask.

“I’ve simple been dying to see you again!” She grabbed my elbow and dragged me back through the building.

“I’m just here for Voldemort’s…er…clothes.” I protested. She looked back at me.

“Of course,” she said. The way she said it reminded me of someone planning my demise. I gulped. She must have seen my apprehension; she smiled brightly and continued the trek. Where we were going was anyone’s guess. She pushed me into an empty room.

“I’ll be right back for the clothes,” she winked at me before she closed the door behind her. I felt a chill go down my back. I heard a tiny click. I whipped out my wand. This was not comfortable. A strange woman with even stranger ideas had locked me into an empty room. I started pacing the floor, part out of anxiety and part for lacking anything better to do. After what felt like forever but a probably four or five minutes, Violet came back. Draco was with her, carrying several rather ominous boxes.

“Sorry,” she said. “I couldn’t get the boxes and Draco was so good as to get them for me.” Draco set them down dutifully at the door. I still had my wand out and I waved it threateningly. I still smelled foul play. Draco smirked.

“Accio wand,” he said quickly, whipping his wand out from where it had been concealed in his robes. My own wand was whisked from my grasp. I paled and backed away from the pair. Violet advanced.

“Serverus dear,” she crooned, like I was some distraught child. I kept backing away. “Sunshine, honestly, we’re doing this for your own good.”

“No thanks?” I said weakly. Violet got her wand out and made some strange motions around the room. The walls shimmered and reclining chair with a sink appeared behind me. Before I could retaliate, Draco rushed forward and shoved me into the chair.

“Excuse me?!” I struggled to get out of the chair but Violet come over, shaking her finger at me.

“Now, Sunshine, you don’t want to do that. Sit down.” She ordered. I stared at her.

“What,” I asked, “is going on?”

“Relax, Sunshine,” Violet glanced over me. I had seen that look over the years. She was doing an appraisal, seeing what would go well with what. What was Dark Lord material and what wasn’t.

“I didn’t expect you to be so troublesome,” she told me, ignoring my question. “I thought Draco told you about this.”

“Told me about what?” I sputtered. “Draco…”

“He told me that he wanted you as his advisor!” Violet said cheerfully. “That would be just perfect for you. Draco takes care of the public image and you take care of the plotting. It would be perfect. But you do need image help,” she said sadly. “Draco can’t afford you looking like a country bumpkin; you need to look commanding!” At this she waved her wand over me.

“You need to look stunning.” Again the wand waved. I began to understand Draco’s desperation for a mirror when this had happened to him.

“And your hair style has got to go.” She turned on the sink and I realized what she was about to do.

“No! Don’t you dare!” I tried to get up but Draco pushed me back down. It was disconcerting to find that he was a lot stronger than me.

“Look, Sunshine,” Violet started messing with my hair. It scared me more than Lord Voldemort did. “I didn’t want to have to do this, but if you don’t cooperate, I’ll be talking to Tom about this.”

“And what are you going to tell him?” I demanded. “That I refused to let some woman wash my hair?”

“That you’re trying to overthrow him.” She winked at me. “He’ll believe me over you, I sure.”

“Blackmail…” I muttered. Now I was stuck. I was going to kill Draco later.

“Hum?” Violet turned back to me. “Don’t worry, I won’t cut off more that a couple of inches. I like it this length.”

“Thanks,” I muttered.

“Do you have a preference on shampoo?” she asked. I thought about it. I hadn’t noticed that there even were different kinds of shampoo.

“No…” I began. Draco cut me off.

“Herbal Essences?” he suggested.

“You use that too?” Violet gasped. Draco nodded. “That is like my absolute favorite! I use the Break’s Over, you know, with coco mango?” He grinned.

“Yeah, I like that one,” he said. “My favorite’s the Hello Hydration, with lilac and coconut.”

“Wait, you use girl’s shampoo?” I asked him. “Isn’t that slightly odd?” Draco rolled his eyes.

“I prefer shampoo that actually cleans instead of simply slicking the hair to the head.” He stroked his blonde locks. “I have delicate hair. So Violet, which one are you using?” I was trying to focus on the woman lathering my scalp.

“Drama Clean, with berry tea and orange flower,” she replied. “Isn’t that so Sunshine?”

“Of course.” He smiled down at me, his smile widening when I glared at him.

“Remember Sunshine, we’re doing this for your own good.”

“I think we have a deal about that particular nickname, H.B.” I reminded him. He grimaced.

“Violet, do you need anything?” he asked. She thought about it for a moment.

“I’ll need my bolts of fabric from Room 4C, the cologne set from the middle cabinet and that box of wands in the basement. Can you manage all that?”

“No problem,” he said, walking out of the room.

“We’ll get you fixed up in no time,” she reassured me cheerfully. “Okay, you can sit up now.” Before I could sprint off and damn the consequences, she whipped a long bib-like thing around me, buttoning it in the back.

“What is this?” I demanded. As far as I could tell, there weren’t any sleeves. It made me feel vulnerable.

“It’s to keep the hair I cut from going down your neck and all over your robes,” she said absently. “Honestly, haven’t you ever had a haircut?” I thought about it. The last time I remember getting a haircut was right before I came to Hogwarts. I was eleven. The idiot had clipped my ears and my hair had stuck out in all directions. Not a great first impression with my teachers and my peers, I can tell you. We sat there in silence for a while. It was easier that way; I tried not to focus on the woman who could cut my ear off with the mighty scissors she was wielding.

“I’m back.” Draco was at the door, pulling a large cart with all manner of strange things. I looked over the collection critically.

“Great! Get that box of wands out first will you?” Violet asked. “I’m almost done here.” I looked around for a mirror that I knew I wouldn’t find. Draco smirked at me. Then, he snapped my wand. I was shocked.

“Hey!” I yelled, irritated. I tried to get up; but I almost got scissors in my eyes for my pains. “That was my wand.”

“No, it wasn’t.” Violet said calmly, eyeing her handiwork. Taking the cape off me, she put the scissors down and opened the box. Rows upon rows of wand cases were inside. “What you had was called a stick. Dark Lords and those who work for them do not carry sticks.”

“But it was mine!” I snarled. “You had no right!”

“It was ugly. You had no right defiling my shop with it.” She rummaged in the box and selected a box. “Here, try this one.” She handed me a wand made of ebony. I waved it a bit and to my surprise, it gave off some black and green sparks. It was unusual for the first wand you tried to work.

“See?” Violet said. “Isn’t that one so much better?”

“I still liked mine.” I muttered. Violet smiled at me and helped Draco put the wands up.

"Now let's see," she said. "I guess the next step is your attire."

"What's wrong with it?" I asked warily. I had seen what she had done to other people.

"Everything!" Violet exclaimed. "You have the worst fashion sense in history!”

I was offended. I dress in black - all black. You can't go wrong in all black. So what was she complaining about? Violet looked me over.

"What's your favorite color?" Violet asked me. "And stand up; I can't possibly get measurements with you sitting down." I held my new wand out but Draco snatched it. Damn kid. I stood up, because Draco looked like he might have killed me if I didn't.

So what's your favorite color?" Violet asked again.

“Green.”

Violet threw a measuring tape around my neck and pulled it tight. "Eeergh" I said.

Violet looked me over. "I don't know if green's your color," she said.

Of course it is," I said, thinking that if it wasn't I had wasted most of my life. "Though black is acceptable as well."

"Black makes you look pale," she warned me.

"Good," I said. I would hate to be mistaken for one of those hearty people who run about in the sun and get all tan. Pale makes me look intelligent.

"What do you think we should do for his eyes?" Violet asked Draco.

"Put them out," Draco said. "He doesn't really need them."

"Couldn’t you leave my eyes as they are?" I suggested.

Violet stared at my eyes for a moment.

"We could make them darker," she said. "Like bottomless orbs.”

“If you insist.” I said. I was happy to have eyes at all. I had a feeling Draco wasn’t kidding.

“There.” She rapped me on the forehead and for a moment I was blinded by an intensely bright light.

"And of course you have to have a signature scent!" Violet squealed.

"How about fresh corpse?" I asked.

"Don't be gross, Sunshine," said Violet, rapping me over the head with her wand.

"I'm a potions master," I pointed out. "No one's going to be able to detect another scent"

“That's why you use soap," said Draco. "I know it's a foreign concept to you, but please, make some effort." I glared him. All he did was wave my wand at my face.

"Now Honey bun," Violet admonished. "You need to encourage Sunshine. This is difficult for him." I turned to glare at her. She seemed oblivious. Honestly, what a waste of a good glare. I longed for a couple of first years I could terrify into wetting themselves just by glancing at them.

"Of course," Draco said graciously. "Sorry, Sunshine." I itched to grab him by his long, gross, blonde hair and bang his head against a passing elephant, but of course, I couldn't. For one thing I didn't have a wand. For another, there was a distinct shortage of elephants. But I’m sure Violet had one stored away somewhere.

"Who's paying for this?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"Oh, Honey bun is paying," said Violet, "he's using his employee discount. Isn’t that the sweetest thing?"

"Sweet as honey," I said. Draco grimaced

"What do you think?" Violet swept her hands over me.

"Needs cologne," Draco pointed out.

"I'm still here you know," I said.

“Yes, do be quiet," said Draco.

"What scent?" Violet asked, perusing through her selection.

"How about 'Candies for men'?" Draco said

"No," I said. "Absolutely no."

"He needs something more sinister," Violet mused. I relaxed slightly. Sinister was more my style. She looked through her stash, bottles of all sorts of shapes and colors. I imagined the tray falling and all those lovely glass bottles crashing to the floor. The resulting smell would be overpowering.

“This one’s perfect.” I was squirted with an amber liquid.

“What was that?” I asked.

“The less you know; the less you can complain,” Violet informed me. “You’re done. I think this was one of my greatest accomplishments.”

“Why?” I demanded.

“Because for so long I feared you were a lost cause,” Violet patted me on the cheek. “I’ll go get a mirror. Draco, pick up all this stuff and take it next door would you?” She and Draco left me alone in the room I was coming considering my private hell. Wandless, my chances of escape were slim and I wouldn’t be able to change whatever Violet did to me. I’d have to wait. I hate waiting. Draco’s days were numbered, that was certain. Rules or no rules, I was going to kill him, and string up his limp body in the dining hall. He deserved it. The door opened.

“Hey Sunshine!” Violet came back in with Draco, who was carrying a full-length mirror. “Are you ready?”

“Yes,” I muttered, unwilling to give away how desperate I was to see my own reflection. Most days I avoid it. Draco was about to turn the mirror around, but Violet put out her hand.

“Wait a second, Honey bun,” she said. Turning to me, she placed her hand on my shoulder.

“I want to warn you first,” she explained. “You’re going to look different and I want you to promise that you’re not going to break the mirror.”

“I will not break the mirror.” I reassured her.

“And you won’t try to change anything about your appearance for 24 hours.”

“Are you crazy?” I yelled, stepping back. “I have to teach tomorrow! People will see me!”

“That’s usually the point,” Violet said condescendingly. I resisted the urge to growl and stomp out of the room. Violet was probably capable of hexing every mirror I’d look into.

“Can I ask for change?” I asked weakly. She nodded, and smiled.

“Fine,” I muttered and Draco set the mirror down and flipped it around.

I looked at the man in the mirror. I assumed it was me, because when I ran my fingers through my hair, the figure did the same. I half expected him to wave and wink. It would have made me feel better at rate. I was now in some black trench coat /turtleneck getup that though assuredly would pass for ‘cool’ was not up to my standards of menacing teacher. I did, however, approve of the boots.

My face was smoother and less haggard than when I had saw it last, and if I had thought my eyes were black before, I was wrong. They went beyond black, edging nearer on bottomless pits of pitiless evil. It was neat effect. I’d like to see Potter stare me down now.

If I was keeping this, I mean. I smirked, and even though I knew it was my face, it was still disturbing. I could definitely use that.

“So Sunshine,” Violet asked cheerily. “What do you think?” I opened my mouth to issue some snide comment, but reconsidered. Would I want to change back?

“Fine,” I muttered. “But the nose has got to go.” Violet frowned.

“Completely or just change it back?” she asked.

“No!” Both Draco and I said. We glared at each other.

“Not completely gone,” Draco said. “I refuse to work with a Voldemort look-a-like.” Violet looked affronted.

“I would never make someone look like him,” she declared. We just looked at her. “He did that himself, okay? Without professional advice!”

“The nose is fine,” I said hastily. On second thought, I didn’t want her to touch it. “By the way, what time is it?” Violet shrugged.

“Probably around four-ish. Why?”

“Because I’m going to be late,” I said dryly. “Voldemort doesn’t take kindly to tardiness.”

“Don’t worry, I already sent his garments to him yesterday,” She said. “I wanted to make sure we had time to get everything accomplished with you.”

“Right,” I said. So if she could just send to Voldemort, why had I been getting his purchases for the last two years? I wasn’t going even start to think about the implications of that.

“Now,” Violet said, rubbing her hands together. “I’ve got to teach you how to keep up this image.”

“What?” I asked.

“First, shower,” Violet continued

“With shampoo and conditioner,” Draco threw in.

“Thank you, honey bun. After that, shave…”

“And put on clean robes,” Draco interrupted again. Violet frowned.

“Actually, I never want to see you in robes again,” she said. “They’re not flattering to your figure. We’ll have to get you a couple more like this set.”

“Didn’t we get a new shipment of trench coats?” Draco said.

“That’s all well and good, but I really got to get back,” I interrupted. “Dumbledore will get suspicious.”

“Then wait right here,” Violet told me. “Come on, Draco.” She left the room, taking Draco and my new wand. I was never getting out of this place.