Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Ron Potter and the Next Generation by PEMDAS

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Enjoy Ch. 2!
***

Ron sighed and sat back in his seat on the Hogwarts Express as the great train rolled out of Kings Cross Station. Across from him was Harry, waving at his parents as they rolled out of sight of the station. Eventually, he too sat down, sighing in turn.

Ron grinned as he stared at the fast-moving scenery outside the window. “I can’t believe we’re finally going to Hogwarts,” he said.

“Me, neither,” Harry said, though slightly more sadly.

“What’s up?” Ron asked, quizzically. His cousin was always talking about what he was going to do when he got to Hogwarts; what was with him now?

“It’s just…” Harry shook his head. “Nothing. It’s just something stupid…”

“C’mon, Harry, I’m your cousin,” Ron said. “You can tell me!”

“Oh…it’s just that I’m going to miss Mum and Dad,” Harry said, trying to force a smile as though it wasn’t a big deal. It ended up looking like a lopsided smirk.

“Oh, you won’t be away from them for that long,” Ron said. “Auntie Hermione said she’d had to meet with Headmistress McGonagall a lot during school terms in the past, and Uncle Ron is always doing funny stuff to cheer us up; I’ll bet he’ll visit!”

“Yeah; visit, visit, visit,” Harry spat angrily, surprising Ron. “At least you’ll get to see your dad every day; Uncle Harry never leaves his precious son…”

“Blimey, Harry!” Ron exclaimed. “Lighten up! Besides, I thought you were happy that ‘The Boy Who Lived’ was teaching us Defense Against the Dark Arts this year…”

“I am,” Harry sighed. “I just wish I could see my parents more often than that…”

Ron touched him on the shoulder. “You’ll be fine,” he said reassuringly. “I’ll be with you; remember?”

Harry nodded solemnly. Just then, someone knocked on the compartment door: the lunch trolley had arrived. “Anything from the trolley, dearies?” the squat little witch asked.

Ron and Harry looked at each other, smirking. “No, thanks,” Harry said in a sad tone. He pulled a squashed-looking sandwich out of his pocket. “I’m all set.”

Ron could barely suppress a smirk as he piled gold into the witch’s hand. “We’ll take the lot!”

She gave one look at him and laughed heartily. “You’ll be a Potter, then,” she said as he nodded. “And you…” She looked over at Harry. “I’ll bet you’re a Weasley.”

Harry nodded. “My parents are Ron and Hermione Weasley,” he said.

“Mine are Harry and Ginny Potter,” Ron put in.

The witch smiled. “Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, you say? And Harry Potter with Ginny Weasley? I knew them all…that reenactment confirmed it after they all left Hogwarts…” She absently piled the food onto a seat in the compartment and left, still chuckling.

Harry rolled his eyes as Ron burst out laughing. “It wasn’t THAT funny,” Ron’s cousin said with a groan.

Ron wiped his eyes. “I know,” he said, “but it was still funny!”

Harry sighed as the two boys began digging in to their sweets from the trolley. As Ron munched on a Chocolate Frog and Harry dug through a box of Bertie Bott’s Every-Flavor Beans, the compartment slid open once again. The two looked up to see a pale-faced, blonde-haired girl about the same age as they were.

“Aha, so it’s true,” the girl sneered. “A new generation of Potters and Weasleys. How pathetic.”

Ron glared at her. “Judging by the ugly pug face, I’d guess you were a Malfoy. Shame you’re not in Azkaban like your Mummy and Daddy…”

The girl’s eyes narrowed. “The name’s Marilyn,” she said, ignoring the last remark. “Marilyn Malfoy. And I suppose your fathers gave you the same name as theirs…?”

“We were named after each other’s uncles,” Harry piped in.

“Pity,” Marilyn said, shaking her head. “But, your fathers never did have an ounce of originality in their mud…oh, I mean, blood…” She sneered.

The boys both stood up indignantly. Marilyn was a head taller than either of them, but Ron doubted she could match the son of Harry Potter in a duel. He drew his wand, which made Marilyn laugh. “Oh, is wittle bitty Potter going to use magic?” she asked in a baby voice. “Is he going to try to be a big boy like his father never was?”

In a flash, Marilyn screamed as the compartment door’s glass exploded behind her, showering all over her. As she brushed glass shards from her greasy blond hair, she drew her own wand. “Two can play at this game, Potter,” she growled. “Furnun-”

“Rictusempra!” cried Harry, who had drawn his own wand. Marilyn doubled over, giggling unwillingly as she was tickled endlessly. With a final flick of his wand, Ron sent her sprawling out of the compartment. He closed the door, repaired the window, and high-fived with Harry as they went back to the treats.

But it wasn’t long until the door opened again. The boys looked up to see a boy, again at their age, with dark-brown hair and a rather sloppy complexion. “I h-heard that Harry Potter’s son was here,” he stuttered nervously.

“That’s me,” Ron said, nodding. “Who’re you?”

“I’m Trevor Longbottom,” the boy said, staring at his feet. “My d-dad was friends with your dad in school…”

As Ron recalled his dad’s stories of blundering Neville Longbottom and his evasive toad, Trevor, he had to laugh. “What’s so funny?” asked Trevor, confused.

“Nothing,” Ron said quickly. “Oh, and this is my cousin, Harry. He’s Ron Weasley’s son.”

“Oh, my dad talked about your dad, too,” Trevor said as he noticed Harry, munching on a Pumpkin Pasty. “You were the one always following Harry Potter around…”

Harry smirked. “Hey, my dad was Harry Potter’s best friend,” he said. “Don’t go putting him down!”

“Sorry,” Trevor mumbled.

“No problem,” Ron said. “Hey, d’you want to join us? We’ve got plenty of room…”

“N-no thanks,” Trevor said. “I’ve gotta go…erm…change.” With that, he shuffled out of the compartment, looking very embarrassed.

“Change, eh?” Ron said to Harry with a smirk. “We don’t arrive at Hogwarts until dusk…”

“Hey, give him a break!” Harry said. “If he’s anything like Uncle Harry said Neville was, he could be a good friend!”

“Well, sor-ry,” Ron said. “You didn’t have to scold; it was just a joke!”

“Whatever,” Harry said, helping himself to a Treacle Tart.

The train ride was to end at around 6 in the evening. About quarter ’til, Ron gasped as he saw the great castle emerge from behind a hill. “It’s even better than Dad said it would be,” he breathed.

“Yeah,” Harry said in awe. Both of the boys then began to change into their school robes.

Ron patted the right side of his chest proudly. “The Gryffindor mark will be right about here in about an hours’ time.”

“Oh, yeah!” Harry gasped. “The Sorting!”

After their robes were fastened, the boys anxiously sat down, awaiting the train’s arrival at Hogsmeade Station. Finally, the train began to slow. When it finally came to a complete stop, Ron stood up and opened the compartment door. It was a mess in the hallways. Everyone scrambled to get out, hoping to be the first to enter the grand castle. With a deep breath, Ron and Harry entered the throng.

After being thrown to the ground three times, the two cousins finally stumbled off of the train. Ron wondered who would be leading the first-years across the lake this year. Of course, it couldn’t be…

“Firs’ years, over here, firs’ years!” came a booming voice from the left. Ron stared: it could only be Rubeus Hagrid, with his long overcoat and bushy beard…not to mention being four feet taller than almost everyone at the station.

“H-Hagrid?” Ron asked timidly, walking over to him. “You still work here?”

“O’ course,” Hagrid said without looking at him. “Giants’ blood; long life, yeh know…” He finally looked at Ron, yelping in surprise. “Harry?” he asked in shock.

“I’m his son,” Ron said eagerly, “Ron Potter.”

Hagrid stared for a moment before roaring with laughter. “Harry Potter, having a son?” he asked. “That rascal never told me…who’s yer mother, Ron?”

“Ginny Weasley-Potter,” he replied.

“Ah, I always knew those two were mean’ to be together,” Hagrid said. “An’ I don’ suppose you know what became of Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger…”

Just then, Harry walked over. “Hey, it’s Hagrid!” he said in surprise.

Hagrid laughed again. “So I take it you’re a Weasley,” he said.

“Ron and Hermione Weasley’s son,” Harry said.

“I knew it,” Hagrid said as the rest of the first-years gathered around them. As he led the group to the lake, he sighed and said, “Ooh, this is going to be a fun year…”

Luckily, the trip across the lake was uneventful. One group exclaimed that they saw the giant squid, although Hagrid said it was probably just some stray seaweed. But Ron was sure he had seen a merman’s face in there…before long, they reached the stairway that led up to the Great Hall. Hagrid led the way up it, leading the first-years into the castle for the Sorting, for the very first time.