Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Ron Potter and the Next Generation by PEMDAS

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Boy, is it weird to call Harry Potter "Professor" Potter, but it's the only way to avoid confusion with Harry Weasley, so just ignore that and read!
Unfortunately for Ron and Harry, the Gryffindor Quidditch Team tryouts weren’t to be held until Saturday, so they’d have to wait three more days to put their plan in motion. However, to take their minds off of that fact, they remembered that it was Wednesday at last, and they would finally have Defense Against the Dark Arts with Professor Potter. Many found it strange to call the great Harry Potter “Professor”, but nevertheless, they were all excited about the prospect of learning from him.

After breakfast, Ron and Harry had Charms. The elderly professor, Flitwick, had grown very old, but because of his goblin blood, he had an extended life over most wizards, so even at 150-plus years old, he was still teaching as though he were half his age. Most of the students, who shared Ron and Harry’s schedules for the day, weren’t paying much attention to Flitwick’s lecture about famous contributors and inventors of charms in the past, because they had DADA right after the lesson. After Flitwick wrapped up his lecture and assigned an essay on Ulna the Fair (inventor of the “Wingardium Leviosa” charm), the students rushed hurriedly out of the classroom, towards the DADA room.

When they entered the room, everyone looked around in amazement. Professor Potter had created a type of magical wallpaper, upon which various curses, charms and spells moved around, bumping off each other erratically. Ron noticed, with a sense of pride, that he knew several of the spells on the wallpaper.

Once everyone had taken their seats, Professor Potter walked to the front of the classroom. Everyone listened intently to what he had to say. “I’m sure all of you know me by now,” he said simply, “but in case you don’t, I am Professor Potter, probably better known as Harry Potter. However, I would prefer you all call me ‘Professor’.

“Now,” he continued, “you may have noticed the wallpaper I currently have on my wall. The words listed on it contain various spells, charms, curses, and hexes that may assist you in case of an emergency. In previous classes, I have had various students ask me what the significance of some of the words are, so I have decided that, at the end of each class, I will explain why two of those many words are up there. Agreed?”

“Agreed,” mumbled the class.

“Good,” Harry said. “Now, for your first lesson, I want to talk to you all about something that I’m sure you’d rather hear from me than Professor Binns.” Several people groaned at the mention of the name. “I know personally how boring he can be,” Harry said, “and don’t tell any other professors I told you this, but I personally think History of Magic, as a whole, is a big waste of time.” Almost everyone laughed at this; they could tell Professor Potter was going to be very laid-back and cool throughout the year.

“As I was saying,” Professor Potter said, “I want to tell you about something I doubt any of you were alive to witness...the Second Wizarding War.”

Everyone began whispering excitedly about hearing about the very battle the man standing before them played a key role in. Harry simply raised a hand patiently, and the class quieted.

“I wish to tell you this, not because of the historical significance of the war, but the methods of attack Lord Voldemort and his followers attacked their prey.” Even though Voldemort had been dead for over a decade, almost everyone shuddered at the name.

“I suppose I should make one thing clear in this class,” Professor Potter said. “I am hereby banning the use of any term towards Voldemort other than his name. I won’t have any of this ‘You-Know-Who’ or ‘He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named’ rubbish in my class. I do this only because I wish to rid the wizarding world of the fear of a name. It is utterly foolish, in all honesty. Understood?”

“Yes,” the class replied softly. Ron and Harry looked at each other.

“Now, as I was saying, again,” Professor Potter continued, “the methods of which Voldemort attacked his prey, namely me....Voldemort worked in secrecy, never giving himself away to anyone. He could attack at any moment. At one moment you could be walking down a road, carefree, and three seconds later you’d be dead.”

Everyone was watching him intently. Professor Potter continued, “Now, I’m sure you’ve all heard about the breakout at Azkaban Prison yesterday. Voldemort’s Death Eaters are now at large once again, and there is good reason to believe that they are coming to Hogwarts.” Everyone gasped except Ron and Harry. “They are most likely after me, in order to avenge their master’s death. And while I’m more than capable of protecting myself, there is a chance that any one of you could be used as a trap for me. That is why I am here to teach you to defend yourself against such a thing should happen.

“If you do happen to be approached by a stranger, Death Eater or not, a simple spell should reveal their true identity. If a stranger comes up to you without immediately attacking you, which is usually the case in crowded areas, simply say the incantation “Identia Revelio” in your head, and their identity will appear above their head to tell you whether or not to trust them. We will practice this incantation today, as it is a pretty basic spell. For example...”

Professor Potter whipped out his wand, pointing it at Trevor. Trevor’s eyes widened, and he quivered nervously. Professor Potter waved his wand in a circle and thrust it deliberately at Trevor, and green lettering appeared above Trevor’s head: Trevor Longbottom, Hogwarts student. “The lettering above Mr. Longbottom’s head is green,” Professor Potter said simply, “which means he can be trusted. If the lettering is red, you should get away from that person immediately.”

Ron and Harry looked at each other. I wonder what color Marilyn’s name would be, Ron wondered.

“We will spend the remainder of the class practicing this spell,” Professor Potter said. “Everyone get a partner and practice the spell on each other.”

Naturally, Harry and Ron got together to practice. To Ron’s delight, he got the spell correct on the first try, while Harry took four tries to perfect it. Meanwhile, Trevor, who had been stuck without a partner and worked with Professor Potter, had only managed to create a cloud of green mist above the professor’s head. Finally, the bell rang, and everyone gathered their belongings and waited for the homework assignment. Professor Potter just watched them, bemused.

“You’re expecting homework, are you?” Professor Potter said, smirking. “I don’t know about the other professors, but I remember how difficult the first few weeks of school were, so you have no homework this week.” Everyone cheered and got up to leave the class.

“Wait!” someone called out. “What about the wallpaper?” Everyone remembered and sat back down.

“Of course, of course!” Professor Potter said. “Anyone want to ask about the spells on the wall?” Everyone looked around at the wall, looking for a spell to ask about. Finally, Trevor raised his hand timidly. “Yes, Mr. Longbottom?”

“Erm...how about ‘Reducto’?” Trevor asked. “Isn’t that used on objects, not people?”

“Yes, of course,” Professor Potter said. “However, it can be used to cause a large object to fall upon someone, however, or otherwise use objects as a weapon. For example...” Harry flicked his wand, muttering “Reducto,” and the large dinosaur skeleton on the ceiling fell towards the students. Nearly everyone screamed and covered their heads, but Professor Potter Immobilized the skeleton in midair and returned it to the ceiling.

“It can also be used as a distraction,” Professor Potter said nonchalantly, as though nothing had happened. Suddenly, there was a loud bang as a statue in the back of the room exploded with great force. Everyone turned around quickly, then looked back at Professor Potter, who had his wand behind his back, smirking. “You see? All right, what other spell would you like to have explained?”

Marilyn Malfoy raised her hand, and everyone looked at her. “Sorry, sir, but I don’t see how ‘Point Me’ could really help us in a duel,” she sneered.

Professor Potter smiled. “That is correct, Miss Malfoy,” he said. “However, you have to remember that not all encounters with Dark wizards will be duels. This spell was useful for me in the Second War, when I was captured by Death Eaters and brought to an enchanted mansion as a hostage. The mansion was bewitched so that if I tried to escape, which I obviously did, it would use illusions and other tricks to cause me to lose sense of direction. However, illusions cannot trick magic; the wand will always point north.

“Well, you’d all better be off, then,” Professor Potter said. “I will see you all on Friday. Off to Astronomy! Good bye!” With that, everyone got up and left the room, chattering excitedly.

“Your dad is amazing!” Trevor said to Ron as they walked up to the West Tower. “Of course, it helps to have defeated a Dark wizard...”

“I know,” Ron said cheerfully. “What do you think, Harry?”

Harry smirked. “I’ll bet we could get your dad to teach us some spells to jinx Marilyn permanently,” he said mischievously.

“Oh, really?” came a feminine voice from behind them. Ron and Harry whirled around to face Marilyn, glaring at them.

“Don’t forget, you two,” Marilyn said, “that my father was a Death Eater. Dark magic is far more powerful than whatever idiotic charms and spells your father uses.”

“Oh, yeah, that explains why my dad was able to kill your dad’s boss!” Ron said, glaring at her.

“Watch yourself, Potter,” Marilyn said menacingly. With that, she walked away, and Ron and Harry watched her go, wondering if she had something up her sleeve.

***

Author’s Note: Well, next chapter is when Ron and Harry try to get on the Quidditch team! Are you ready? Wait for Chapter 7!