Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Girl Like You by Lady Alanna

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: First, I'd like to thank my awesome beta, Star, for helping me work out all my clichés and grammar problems.
This is my first attempt at fan fiction, so please leave a review and let me know how I'm doing so far!
Also, Amelia isn't related to Lee Jordan in any way. I just picked a random last name and it stuck.
CHAPTER ONE

The Transfer



Platform 9 3/4 was crowded. Students everywhere carried large suitcases and some even had owls in round cages. Enthusiasm was high as I watched them as they happily bid their parents goodbye, reunite with their friends, and board the Hogwarts Express. The Hogwarts Express was a scarlet red train with the words “Hogwarts Express” printed in large gold letters on the side.



I turned to say goodbye to our family when my mum wrapped me in a large hug, “We’ll miss you, my darlings! Pay attention to your studies and try not to get into too much trouble,” she pulled away and smiled, with mother’s tears streaming down her round face from her plain blue eyes. She then turned to hug Danny and Maggie, my siblings who would be joining me on the Hogwarts Express.



Danny is a stocky boy of fifteen. He’s loud and obnoxious and never shuts up. Maggie, on the other hand, is a quiet, extremely timid girl of twelve and has to be forced to do anything.



I smiled weakly, feeling a little bit nervous. I’m usually not prone to nerves, but starting a new school is a big thing. I then turned to my dad, my best friend, and my male mirror image. My father and I looked exactly alike, besides the fact that I’m a girl. If I was older, I would probably be mistaken for his twin. We have the same chestnut brown hair, same slightly fair skin, and the same large hazel green eyes. “Bye Dad,” I whispered, giving him a hug.



“Amelia, Hogwarts is great. Just don’t go wandering around at night and you’ll be fine,” advised my older sister, Alanna as she shot a look at Dylan and Christian, my two older brothers. Although they were four years apart, both my brothers have a strong knack for breaking the rules. The three of them: Dylan, Alanna, and Christian all graduated with top grades from Hogwarts, but that was before we moved to France.



I hugged all my other family members, twin younger sisters Dana and Erin, and my brother Sam, hugs and boldly strode away, not knowing the slightest bit what to do next. Danny and Maggie followed closely behind, watching my every move. I stopped once to rearrange the way I carried my large trunk, slung my Nimbus 1982 racing broom over my shoulder and we followed a pair of girls onto the train.



“Come on Danny; keep a close eye on Maggie. Try not to get lost,” I instructed as we made our way down the narrow corridor, peering around for an empty compartment. People stared when they saw me, and I didn’t blame them. It isn’t every day that Hogwarts has transfer students.



We found an empty compartment near the end of the train and plopped down in the cushy red seats. While leaning against the large shining window I watched the bustling crowd and became lost in thought. My mind wandered to my family, standing somewhere in the swarm of people. Dylan was already working for the Ministry of Magic, along with my father and Alanna, who was an Auror. Christian will be starting his training to become an Auror as well. And then there was me, Amelia, who would be spending her seventh year of magic education at a completely different school. At least I have Danny and Maggie with me, so I won’t feel quite so alone.



“So, what do you think Hogwarts will be like?” asked Danny as he helped Maggie put her trunk in the racks above the seats.



I shrugged. “I have no idea, Danny. Maggie, why don’t you sit by me,” I motioned for my little sister to come over. Her usually pale face was now chalk white. She shuffled over to the seat by me and sat down. I put my arm around her shaking shoulders and stroked her curly mass of brown hair, “its okay Maggie.”



We sat in silence for several moments. I thought of our old home, France, and the friends I never had. Our family moved there the year before I would have started Hogwarts, and I was so disappointed. Instead of being shipped away on the Hogwarts Express with all my childhood friends, I watched as the Ministry positioned Dad in France. I was then sent to Beauxbatons Academy, the best school for magic in the country. My years at Beauxbatons were lonely. Since my French wasn’t too good, I had a hard time getting along with my classmates, but I did become very skilled at magic and not to mention the best Keeper in the school at Quidditch.



Last year, tragedy struck Beauxbatons. Under the new headmistress, Madame Maxime, a strange magical disease struck the school. Draining students of physical and magical energy, the epidemic swept through the school. It bore down until anyone who had it was wasted away to a powerless corpse. Madame Maxime, with help from the school governors, shut down the school immediately, and placed it under quarantine. No one was allowed to enter or leave, in fear of the disease spreading. Luckily, my parents found a way to convince Madame Maxime to let me, Danny, and Maggie return home safely.



We then moved back to England, where we settled down in the suburbs of London. After writing a letter to Professor Dumbledore, we were granted permission to transfer to Hogwarts.



Danny plopped into the seat across from me, once again bringing me from my thoughts. “Do you reckon Christian was joking about the Giant Squid?”



“G-giant S-s-squid?” Maggie’s voice shook, “there’s a Giant Squid?”



“Don’t worry, Maggie. I’m sure there isn’t a Giant Squid,” I assured her, hoping I was right.



“Actually, there is a giant squid,” said a voice from the doorway. I looked up to see a boy standing there. He looked about my age and was tall and extremely handsome. His jet black hair streamed elegantly into his midnight blue eyes and he was grinning.



“Excuse me?” I asked, glaring at him.



“There is a giant squid,” he repeated, “but it won’t hurt you. It lives in the lake. Now, you three must be some of the transfers. I’m Sirius Black, pleasure to meet you all.” He stuck out his hand.



I shook it. “Amelia Jordan,” A sort of shock went through me when we touched. I did my best to shake the feeling, but I could tell that this Sirius boy felt it too. “This is Danny and Maggie. Yes, we’re transfers. What do you mean by ‘some of the transfers’? Is there more than just us?” I questioned.



“Yeah, they’re all in the last compartment of the train,” Sirius said.



“Really? Amelia, can I go see if there’s anyone we know?” Danny requested as he bolted up from his seat. Unlike me, Danny had lots of friends at Beauxbatons.



“That’s fine Danny. Maggie, you can go too if you want,” I said, hoping to get a moment alone with my thoughts. I didn’t want to see any of my old classmates.



“Ok, I’ll go,” Maggie burst, her face brightening a bit. Danny sped from the compartment, with Maggie’s curls bouncing behind him.



“Transfers, huh? I suppose there’s an explanation behind all of them, right?” Sirius asked, trying to make a conversation. I then realized that we were alone.



“Yeah, there is. I suppose Dumbledore will tell you all about us, though. I really don’t want to go into details right now.” I thought of my classmates ashen faces as one by one, were carried into the nurse’s wing after collapsing in the hallways. I thought of the few that had died. Dad told me that Beauxbatons would be closing this year, but it never occurred to me that students would transfer to Hogwarts, well, students besides us.



“Oh come on,” Sirius prompted, sitting in the seat across from me, “You can’t just leave me hanging! A pretty girl like you shows up with a bunch of mysterious transfers, I’ve got to know the story behind it all!” Sirius grinned, “Please?”



I rolled my eyes, but smiled none the less, “Oh, alright!” I’m not sure what won me over, the pretty girl comment, or how cute he looked with that puppy dog look on his face. Maybe it’s a combination of both. “There was a magical disease…” I launched into the big long story. By the time I was done, the train was speeding through the suburbs of London.



“Wow,” Sirius said when it was over, “that’s some tale. You’ll definitely gain some popularity at Hogwarts while telling that one.” He looked out the window. We were leaving the city and speeding along grassy fields. “Oh God! I need to get back to my own compartment!” He stood up, and I rose from my seat as well. “Well, Amelia. It’s been a pleasure meeting you.” We shook hands again, and he disappeared down the narrow corridor.



I sat back down, alone for the first time in a long time. I don’t know how much time had passed, but I was once again brought back to the real world by a voice from the doorway, “Excuse me, but is anyone else sitting here? All the other compartments are full.”



I looked up. Three girls stood in filed into my compartment. I smiled, “No, go right ahead. It’s only me in here.”



The first girl smiled at me, showing a perfectly straight row of teeth. She was very tall. Her pale brown hair pulled into a tight bun at the back of her head and her azure eyes were the color of the ocean, “Thanks,” she said, entering the compartment. Her two companions followed and they all sat down across from me, “I don’t think we’ve met, I’m Leah Erickson,” the tall girl introduced herself; “I don’t believe we’ve met. Are you in seventh year?”



I nodded my head, “Yeah.”



“So are we!” exclaimed one of the girls. She was the shortest of the three; with bright blue eyes and sun bleached brown hair that was hastily pulled into twin loops at the nape of her neck. “Weird, I’ve never seen you before either. You look too nice to be in Slytherin, so are you in Hufflepuff?” she asked, while scratching her head.



“No, I don’t have a house. I’m one of the transfer students,” I admitted, blushing slightly, “My name is Amelia, Amelia Jordan.”



The short girl grinned, “I’m Haylie Burch, and this is Micky Lee.” She motioned to a round faced Korean girl. Micky had her thick black hair pulled into two messy buns on the sides of her head. Her deep brown eyes glittered mysteriously.



Leah stared at me intensely, “So you’re one of the ones Lily mentioned. Our friend, Lily Evans, is Head Girl and Professor Dumbledore mentioned that there would be several transfer students in her letter.”



Haylie looked genuinely confused, “How are you all getting sorted?”



I shrugged, “The same way everyone gets sorted, I guess.”



Micky burst out laughing, “You mean you get sorted with the first years?! Wow, that’s got to be embarrassing,”



“You’ll be fine Amelia. Hopefully, you’ll be in Gryffindor, like us. Lily’s in Gryffindor too,” Leah interjected. Who is this Lily person? Why isn’t she here now?



Then it clicked. She’s Head Girl; she must be meeting with the Prefects right now. I thought about being sorted. A mental picture entered my mind. I stood towering in a long line of eleven year olds. I approached an old battered stool and stuffed the Sorting Hat onto my head. Everyone’s gaze was on me; the sixteen (almost seventeen) year old with all the first years. I’ll be the laughing stock of the school! If I have any luck at all, I will be in Gryffindor, like my dad was. Mum was in Ravenclaw.



“Speaking of Lily, when will she be joining us?” asked Haylie as she got up and peered down the hall, “Hey, watch your mouth!” she yelled as a band of third year Slytherins shuffled past, mumbling curses and something about Mudbloods under their breath.



“She should be here any time now,” Micky replied as she got up and joined Haylie looking out into the corridor, “Say, do any of you know who Head Boy is this year?”



Haylie shrugged, “I don’t know, but it’s probably Remus Lupin. He was always following rules and doing stuff like that. And he was a prefect, too.”



Leah got up and pulled her friends back into their seats, “You guessed it,” she glanced up just as the compartment door whizzed open, “Hey Lily!”



I looked up at the girl silhouetted in the doorway. She was tall and thin with fiery red hair and bright green eyes. She was pretty…very pretty.



Lily skipped into the compartment and plopped down next to me, “I’m so happy Remus is Head Boy this year. It was really fun being prefects together last year, thank God it wasn’t someone like Potter!” That was when she realized I was there, “Oh…hello! I don’t know you, so I’m Lily Evans.”



I smiled, “Amelia Jordan,” when Lily began to open her mouth, I added, “I’m one of the transfers.”



“Oh! Professor Dumbledore told me that you would be coming! I want to hear all about Beauxbatons! Is it true that you study magical forms of art there?”



I shook my head, “No, that’s just a rumor. We take the same classes you do at Hogwarts.”



We were soon in deep conversation. Lily and Leah wanted to know all about Beauxbatons, and I had plenty of questions about Hogwarts. Micky and Haylie were soon bored with conversation and started up a lively game of Exploding Snap.



The sun was beginning to set when the compartment door slid open again. There stood a tall, lean, and handsome boy who looked around the same age as me. His coal black hair was wild and messy, and his hazel eyes were bright and alert. He grinned, “Hello, ladies.”



Lily looked up and her pretty face was immediately masked in a scowl, “What do you want, Potter?”



“Tut tut, Evans,” the boy began, “it’s rude, you know, to be yelling at me already. Term’s only just started.”



Leah stood up. She was only an inch shorter than the boy, “James, please go away, before you make Lily so angry she’s unfit to live with. Because we’re the ones who have to live with her, you know.”



The boy, James, pretended not to hear and replied absentmindedly. “Why hello, Leah. You’re looking as pretty as ever. You know, my buddy, Padfoot’s looking for another girlfriend. You would fit together nicely.”



Now it was Leah’s turn to frown, “I think not. Tell Sirius that he should look somewhere else, because none of us are interested,” she motioned to the rest of us. Sirius…could they be talking about the same Sirius I met earlier today?



James’s eyes landed on me, “So, who’s this? Evans, you never told me you’ve been making new friends!”



Lily’s frown deepened, “Shove off, Potter. Amelia’s not interested in sorts like you.”



“Amelia, is it?” James asked with a maniacal glint in his eyes, “Well, Amelia, the name’s James Potter. Maybe you would like to fill the girlfriend position for my friend…”



“I think I’ll pass,” I replied curtly. If he was talking about the Sirius I met earlier, I will most likely have another chance with him. “Just tell your friend that we’re not interested and that he will just have to find someone else. By the way, were you just lecturing Lily here about rudeness?” I smiled sweetly as I let my evil side take over, “Because trying to set me up with someone on my first day here isn’t very polite either.”



To my surprise, James laughed, “If you say so, Miss....?”



“Jordan,” I replied.



“Miss Jordan, I like your spunk.” James announced. I gaped at him. Did he just say spunk? “Well, ladies, terribly sorry, but I need to be going now. You have to promise me you won’t cry once I’m gone…”



“Just leave!” Lily shouted as she got up and shoved him out of the compartment, her face flushed with anger as she slammed the compartment door behind her, “I can’t believe him!”



“Just let it go, Lily,” Leah said calmly, but I could tell she was angry too, “He’s just being a git. Don’t let it bother you.”



Lily resumed her seat, but she spoke little the rest of the train ride and she wore a dark look on her face. Next to me, Haylie and Micky were erupting in a silent fit of giggles.



“What’s so funny?” I asked them as Haylie snorted aloud.



“It’s nothing,” Haylie whispered, “We just think it’s so funny when James and Lily fight. They’re so perfect together, it’s a shame they aren’t a couple!”



“Yeah,” Micky added, “he’s not all bad, that James Potter. He just goes a little overboard when it comes to Lily. Nice comeback, by the way. Now that I think of it…you would look good with Sirius…”



“We’ll see, Micky. For now, I’m not interested in someone I’ve never met.” I replied, smiling slightly.



Not long after this, the train screeched to a stop at Hogsmeade Station. I threw on a black pair of robes and followed my new friends off the train and onto the platform. Everywhere, students bustled about and I had no clue where to go next.



“First years an’ transfers over here! First years an’ transfers!” shouted a voice and my gaze moved over the mob to a giant of a man, towering over everyone.



“Looks like you’re going to have to go with Hagrid,” Lily explained. “Just stick with him. He’ll tell you what to do.”



I nodded as Micky gave me a hug. “We’ll see you up at the castle, Amelia!”



I watched my new friends as they blended in with the crowd. I was alone, among the crowd of busy people. Taking a deep breath to calm my nerves, I approached the giant man.



“Are ye’ a transfer?” He asked, with a smile in his beetle black eyes. I nodded and he stuck out a large hand, “Rubeus Hagrid, pleasure to meet you.”



I shook his hand. “Amelia Jordan.” I replied.



“Amelia, is zat really you?!” came an all too familiar voice behind me. I turned around to find myself face to face with Hollie Larson, my old nemesis from Beauxbatons. Hollie was tall, with long wispy blonde hair, and sky blue eyes. Hollie was very beautiful, but her personality was like poisoned honey. She also happened to have a very annoying fake French accent, which she used to move up the totem poll of popularity.



“Hello, Hollie,” I said quietly. “How are you doing?”



“Not too well, but I am doing very fine now zat I’ve found a friend!” Hollie wrapped my in a large hug, which I returned reluctantly.



“Hollie Larson, you are up to no good. Now drop that fake accent, it makes you sound like a constipated toad.” I hissed in her ear.



Hollie pulled away instantly with a shocked, but annoyed look on her face. I then glanced over her shoulder to find my two siblings in the middle of the transfer crowd.



“Amelia!” Danny shouted, waving. “We’ve been looking for you! Come on, we’re all leaving!”



I pushed past Hollie and joined the crowd of familiar faces. Maybe Hogwarts won’t be so bad. I’ve already made friends, and as James Potter so kindly reminded me, term hasn’t even started yet!