Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Girl Like You by Lady Alanna

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I've become quite the procrastinator on this story. I've been working on getting chapters typed ahead, so hopefully they'll come out faster. No gurantee, though. Real life just gets in the way of fan fic writing, doesn't it? Anyways, I really hope you like this chapter. I'd like to give a huge thanks to Kiryn for the awesome beta job!
It didn’t take long at all to recover from Hollie’s little stunt. I was back up and running in almost no time at all.

The next week absolutely flew by as we all counted down the days until Christmas break began. The Friday before we returned home for the holidays, Sirius and I were sitting alone together. Remus and Lily were out on patrol, and James had decided to hang out with Peter up in the dormitory. We were some of the last people in the common room and were perched on our favorite plushy couch by the fireplace.

I sighed and rested my head on Sirius’s shoulder. Everything was so peaceful at this time of night. No obnoxious third years or dramatic fifth years causing uproar, no Haylie babbling about Quidditch, no Micky gushing about how much she loves fashion and Divination, and no Leah scolding us to get our homework done. It was just Sirius and me enjoying our last evening alone together. I closed my eyes contentedly. Life was perfect.

“Hey, Amelia?” Sirius asked softly.

I glanced up at his face. “Hmm?”

“Do your parents know about… about us dating?” His voice was slightly worried.

I thought about it for a moment, mentally scanning through all the letters I had sent home since Sirius and I started dating. “I don’t think so.”

“I’m your first boyfriend, right?”

I nodded. “Yes.”

“Will they mind?”

Sirius really was worried about this, wasn’t he? I pictured my open, loving Mum and my calm, friendly Dad. Would they mind me having a boyfriend? Mum was absolutely delighted when she was introduced to my older sister, Alanna’s, first boyfriend. Of course, Alanna had been out of school by then.

I sighed. “I’m not sure. They might be a bit skeptical at first, but once they’ve met you, that will all change… hopefully.”

Sirius gazed intently at me for a few long moments. “You think so?”

“I know so. After all,” I grinned impishly into his gorgeous face. “What’s not to like?”

Sirius chuckled as he comically poked me in the nose. “I like the way you think!”

~*~

The next day, we all ate breakfast in the Great Hall for the last time this term, before boarding the train. During the meal, I gazed at everything, taking it all in one last time.

“You know, Amelia, you’ll be back here in a few weeks,” Peter pointed out, noticing my staring.

I smiled at him and looked at all my friends: Lily, Sirius, James, Haylie, Remus, Leah, Micky, and so many others. “I know. I was just thinking about how much has changed in four months. Everything is just so different. I wonder what my family will think of it.”

“I’m sure they’ll love it,” Lily put in. James and Remus nodded.

When we finished eating, we were shown to where a large crowd of horseless carriages were waiting to transport us to Hogsmeade station.

“Wait… what about the boats?” I asked Leah as we climbed into one.

Leah smiled at me. “It’s only the first years who travel by boat, silly. You went that way because you were new. Everyone else goes in the carriages. The boats are something special, used for coming in your first year, and graduation.”

“Oh,” I said as the carriage started moving. It was an odd way to travel, but effective. Within minutes, we had reached Hogsmeade station.

“Well, let’s get on board and find a compartment,” James said and we all filed onto the train. I remembered vividly my first time on the Hogwarts Express in September. That was the first time I had met everyone. I smiled to myself as I recalled how Lily had hated James back then. Who would have guessed that, a few short months later, they would be one of the cutest couples in school? As I glanced into the compartments, I thought back to how attracted I was to Sirius even at our first meeting. Isn’t it odd how much people could grow and change in a few months?

We headed down the narrow train hallway until we came to the last compartment. I had left the majority of my things in the dormitory, taking only a small bag of things with me. I had spare robes and Muggle clothing at home, so there was no need to bring my entire trunk. The professors, in true teacher fashion, assigned plenty of homework to do over break, so my bag was filled with books and a few personal items. I slid it only the rack above the seats next to everyone else’s.

In the compartment, it was just Lily, James, Remus, Leah, Sirius, and me. Haylie was determined to spend the last few hours before we reached London with Amos Diggory, whom she had been dating since the Halloween Ball. Micky decided to go sit with them since, in her words, being stuck in a tiny room with one couple was better than being in one with three. To her slight annoyance, Peter tagged along, since there was only room for the six of us in the compartment and each of the other Marauders wanted to be with their girlfriends.

I now sat between Sirius and Remus facing Lily, Leah, and James. It was a little awkward for Remus, I imagined, since he was the only one who hadn’t gotten to sit next to his girlfriend. Lily was leaning comfortably into James and Sirius had an arm around my waist. Still, they didn’t seem to mind.

“You know, Lils, I still can’t get over the fact that you’ll be staying with Muggles,” James commented, breaking a long silence.

Lily sighed, smiling slightly. “James, they’re my family. I’ve lived with them my entire life.”

“Still, if anything ever comes up, tensions about you being a witch or anything, just let me know. My parents would be more than happy to take you in…”

“You know, I appreciate it, James, really, I do, but I could never ditch my family over the holidays, even if there was a fight” she said irritably, sitting up straight. “I only see them a few times a year and it would break my mum’s heart if I left them at Christmas.” She glared at him, crossing her arms over her chest.

“I know Lily, I was just…”

“You know, guys, don’t worry about it,” I interrupted him. “We’ll see each other at the party and I’m going to Lily’s house afterwards so it should all be fine.”

Sirius looked at me sharply. “You’re going to Lily’s after the party?”

My face turned red and my stomach sank. I had forgotten to tell Sirius about going to Lily’s house! I had been meaning to tell him, but I had gotten sick to due Hollie’s stupid prank and completely forgotten about it!

“Oh my gosh, Sirius, I’m sorry! I forgot to tell you… I was meaning to, I swear, but then I totally forgot because of Hollie’s little stunt down in Hogsmeade.” I bit my lip, not wanting to look at him.

I felt Sirius’s hand on my chin and I pulled away. “Amelia, look at me,” he ordered. Was that amusement in his voice? Surely enough, when I met his gaze, he was grinning. Why was he smiling?

“You really feel bad about this, don’t you?” he asked.

My concern turned to a mixture of embarrassment and anger. He was mocking me! “Well, I did until about three seconds ago.” My glare wiped the smile off his face. I grinned at him. “I really did mean to tell you, though.”

Sirius regained his smile. “I know, and it’s okay. You had a busy week.” As he said this, he reached up and mussed the top of my head with his hand.

“Hey!” I shouted, jumping forward to hit him playfully.

Sirius wrapped me up in his arms, holding me so I couldn’t move. I squirmed, trying to ignore the laughs the scene was attracting from the others in the compartment, especially James.

“You guys are so cheesy!” he said between laughs. “One second you’re being all cheesy and couple-like, and the next you’re trying to hit each other. This is great!”

In no time at all, however, we had all settled down. The train snaked smoothly through the mountains of Scotland, which slowly faded into the English countryside.

Leah had been the only smart one to bring something to do, so while she read her book, James decided to go hunt down Micky to see if she had brought a deck of cards to play Exploding Snap with. While he was gone, Remus and Lily headed out for their share of patrol duties.

Upon returning to the compartment, James announced, in his usual eccentric fashion, that we were going to amuse ourselves with an Exploding Snap tournament. He had gotten a deck of cards from Micky and another from a random first year he passed in the corridor.

“But James,” Leah protested after he insisted that she had to participate. “This game is a game partially of luck. You can’t have a fair competition based on luck.”

“Come on, Leah, don’t be such a downer,” James replied, shoving a deck of cards in her face and removing the book from her hands. “Between your work and Remus, hardly any of us get to see you these days! So join in and let us that lovely face of yours.”

Leah considered this for a moment, and then smiled. “All right, all right, I guess I can play.”

First up was Sirius versus James. James won and I was given the task of brushing the debris from the minor explosion from Sirius’s hair, all the while doing my best not to laugh at his soot-stained face.

The second game was a much more interesting one, with James’ luck and Leah’s strategizing. After much sweat and carefully placed cards, it was James who made the wrong move and had to, literally, face the flames. Since there was no Lily to do the honors, the task of cleaning him off was left to Sirius.

“You know, James, I’m never going to forgive you for this.” Sirius feigned the voice of a moody teenage girl as he brushed the soot off his best friend’s shoulders. “I mean, honestly, how can you even go out in public after losing to a girl?”

“I heard that!” Leah retorted.

I couldn’t help but laugh. “Leah, relax, he’s just being Sirius.”

She smiled wryly. “Figures. Well, how about the next game be a couples match: you against your boyfriend.”

James nodded, his face taking on a mischievous expression. “Brava, Leah! An excellent suggestion! Now, Sirius, I know she’s your girlfriend and you love her and all, but please, show some manly pride. Don’t let her walk all over you.”

Sirius nodded seriously. “Whatever you say, Prongs.”

I grinned wickedly at him as we started the game. Leah was perched next to me as we started placing cards on the table, making sure I didn’t make any stupid moves. We were about ten minutes into the game, each quickly slamming down cards. If two cards matched, we would yell, “Snap!” and they would be ours. If the cards didn’t match, they would explode.

Just then, the compartment door banged open. Sirius, who was in the middle of frantically shuffling his deck, jumped at the noise. He dropped a few cards and with a BANG it exploded, leaving him looking frazzled and with sporting a smudge of soot on his nose.

“Oh, sorry about that, Sirius,” Lily apologized as she plopped down next to me. There was a definite edge to her voice and her eyes were filled with anger. In her hands was what looked like a very old book. Lily threw it onto the floor as if it was cursed.

“What’s wrong?” Leah asked.

Lily leaned forward, putting her face in her hands and letting out a loud sigh. “It’s nothing, just a stupid Slytherin getting on my nerves.”

James looked worried as he moved to sit across from her, gently putting a hand on her knee. “Who was it? What did they do?” His voice was anxious and I could tell by the way his empty fist was clenched that he wanted nothing better than to beat whoever had offended Lily to a bloody pulp.

Lily met his gaze. The anger had faded from her face, but it wasn’t all together gone. “It was that creep, Mulciber. I caught him with this book,” she pointed to the large tome she had cast to the floor. It was obviously old, the parchment had faded and you could hardly read the words on the cover. I could see that it had been covered in several layers of dust before this Mulciber person got his hands on it. I had no idea what it was, having never seen any book like that before, except in the restricted section.

Cautiously, James picked it up off the floor. He opened it slightly. A cloud of dust puffed up in his face, making him sneeze. “It looks like Mulciber has been studying up on the Dark Arts.”

Lily shook her head. “I overheard him and Snape.” she spat out the name of the greasy haired Slytherin as if it were poison. “They were discussing testing out one of the spells in that book. I didn’t want to go in, but being Head Girl, I felt like I had to. I asked them if they had permission to be in the possession of books like that one. They didn’t say anything so I asked if I could see it. Mulciber then told me that he would never give anything to a… a…” Lily broke off, sighing heavily, and glared at the floor.

“To a mudblood,” James said the dreaded word through gritted teeth. His brow was furrowed.

Lily nodded.

I stiffened where I sat, my eyes fixed on Lily. Someone had called her a mudblood? How dare they! I mean, it happens all the time, especially among Slytherins, but to use the word on LILY seemed impossible. So what if she was raised by Muggles? She was the kindest, prettiest, and smartest witch I have ever met. How could anyone even stand to call her something so vulgar?

The same thing seemed to be crossing James’s mind because he was now on his feet making a beeline for the door. “All right, what compartment are they in? I’m going to find Mulciber and hex him into…” He trailed off as Lily shook her head at him. He stared at her in shock as she gazed back, meeting his eyes with a hurt, but determined look.

“No, James,” she commanded in a tone that made him obey instantly. “It’s fine, I’m used to it.”

“Used to it?” James burst out harshly. “Lily, how can you be used to it? How can you stand having people say that to you, let alone say it to your face?”

She shrugged. “I guess what the teachers all say is true, practice makes perfect.” James was about to retort but she put she put up a hand. “Look, what’s done is done. After calling me a… mudblood, I threatened them with detention. Mulciber just mocked me so I turned to Snape. I asked him, as nicely as I could manage after being so insulted, for the book. For a moment I thought he was actually going to give it to me, but then he turned away and started looking out the window. So I said, ‘I’m really disappointed in you, Sev,” and snatched the book from Mulciber’s hands before anyone could say anything. The thing that REALLY made me mad was that the slimy git actually tried to curse me when my back was turned.” Lily’s eyes momentarily gained back their spark of fiery anger.

“Wait, who tried to curse you?” Sirius asked. “Snape or Mulciber?”

“Mulciber,” Lily replied with a sneer. “Snape just sat there the whole time, trying to act like he was invisible. That was what set me off. You would think that he’d be willing to do at least something to help his ex-best friend.” She shook her head. “Stupid prat.”

“Merlin, how I hate that greasy little slimeball,” James muttered darkly.

I sat quietly through this whole exchange. I noticed that Leah had too. I knew that if I opened my mouth, my anger would get the best of me. I knew I would end up saying something I regretted, which would just make the situation worse. So I just sat there, going over again and again how shocked I was that anyone would even dare treat Lily like that.

The remainder of the journey was fairly uneventful. Remus returned shortly after Lily from patrol. Leah went back to her book and Sirius fell asleep against the window. His mouth hung open and he snored slightly. He looked absolutely adorable, but I was in too black a mood to notice and found the snoring mildly annoying.

Lily and James sat together on the opposite side of the compartment. She leaned into his chest and he had an arm around her protectively. Their free hands held each other’s and I noticed how James ran his thumb up and down Lily’s thumb. It wasn’t long before, like Sirius, Lily had fallen asleep and the silence became awkward.

Remus was unfortunate enough to be stuck next to Lily and James and looked quite uncomfortable. I briefly filled him in on the drama with the Slytherins before offering to switch spots with him.

“Are you sure?” he asked, glancing at Sirius.

I nodded. “Sirius looks like he’s out cold; he won’t even notice I’m gone. There’s no reason why you shouldn’t sit next to Leah.”

Both Leah and Remus smiled gratefully at me as I got up and plopped down next to the sleeping Lily. Leah shifted her book so it was only half in her lap and Remus picked up the other half. They both held the book and read together.

I sighed, gazing across the compartment and out the window as the forests swiftly turned into open rolling fields. A sudden longing for home filled me and for the first time since coming to Hogwarts, I felt alone. My mind began filling itself with memories of home and I couldn’t wait to see my mum and dad again. My brother Christian would be home for the holidays as well and questions about how his Auror training filled my head. I’d been corresponding with my family via owl post during school, but sometimes my older siblings were just too busy to write to me. For the first time in months, we would all be together.

The sun was setting when we finally rolled into King’s Cross station. The air was frosty as we grabbed our bags and hopped off the train onto the platform. I pulled my cloak tightly around me to keep the cold out, but Sirius taking my hand in his turned out to be a much more effective way to stay warm.

“You’re going home with James, right?” I asked him, scanning the crowd for family members.

He nodded. “Yeah, I am. Hey look, there they are now! Come on, I have to introduce you to them.” Sirius pulled me through the people to where James was now trapped in the arms of a tall, but slightly plump, woman.

“Mum, uh, you’re embarrassing me!” James’s protests were audible over the hum of people.

Sirius and I shared a laugh as we approached them. James’s mum, hearing Sirius’s laugh, finally let go of her son and turned to us.

“Sirius!” she cried, wrapping her arms around him. “Just look at you, I swear you grow taller and more handsome every time I see you!”

Sirius chuckled as he pulled away from her. “Thanks, Mrs. Potter.”

“Mum, where’s Dad?” James questioned, glancing at all the people around us.

Mrs. Potter sighed. “He wanted to come, but he thought it would be best to stay home and put finishing touches on the decorations before you came home. You know how he is with that Christmas tree. Everything has to be completely perfect before anyone else can see.” It was then that she noticed me standing with them. Her eyes trailed from me to Sirius and down to where our hands were linked. My face heated up. “Now Sirius, who might this be?”

Sirius looked absolutely thrilled as he put an arm around my shoulders. “Mrs. Potter, this is Amelia Jordan, my girlfriend.”

I was still blushing, but found it impossible not to smile. “It’s wonderful to meet you, Mrs. Potter.”

Mrs. Potter’s eyes inspected me for a moment before she beamed too. “Oh Sirius, I’m so happy for you! She’s absolutely lovely!” Before I knew it, I was wrapped in a breath-stealing embrace. “It’s wonderful to see that Sirius has finally found a good girl to keep his brain between his ears.”

She let me go and I glanced at Sirius, who looked extremely embarrassed. “What do you mean?” He avoided my gaze.

James sniggered. “I keep forgetting you weren’t around before this year. Let’s just say that Sirius was a bit of a ladies’ man back in fourth and fifth year.” He shook his head. “Don’t worry, it all faded out after Ellen Murphy tried to corner him on his way to Quidditch practice.”

“What happened?” My curiosity was piqued.

Sirius looked grim at the memory. “Let’s just say that I made it very clear that I wasn’t into girls with large moles on their chins and took a break from dating. I mean, there’s nothing wrong with moles, but when you’re a sixteen year old Marauder, it’s not exactly preferable.”

I laughed. “Understandable.”

Someone tapped my shoulder and I turned around. It was Lily. She had obviously heard our conversation on Sirius’s active love life. “Don’t worry, Amelia,” she whispered. “He never looked at the other girls like he looks at you.”

I smiled. “Thanks, Lily.”

“Oh, Mum,” James sprang to life. He grabbed Lily’s arm, yanked her away from me and placed her directly before his mother. “I am proud to present to you, Lily Evans.”

Mrs. Potter’s eyes grew wide as she observed Lily. “Why, my dear, you’re even prettier than James let on!” She hugged Lily just as she hugged me, if not tighter. “Oh, it’s so wonderful to meet you at last. My James has told us so much about you over the years, I was beginning to think that you weren’t actually real, but here you are!”

Lily, grinning and blushing, looked slightly embarrassed. “It’s a pleasure to meet you as well.”

“Oh, please, call me Denise,” Mrs. Potter said warmly. “Now, you’re coming to James’s party, aren’t you?” Her warm hazel eyes darted from Lily to me.

Lily nodded. “We wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

“Splendid! It’s too bad I won’t be able to chat with you girls more then, James and Sirius always insist on getting the house to themselves when they throw big bashes. My husband and I will probably be going out to dinner somewhere and be staying in a nice hotel.”

Lily smiled politely and listened to the story, but then glanced over as she heard someone call her name. She started slightly. “Oh, there’s my mum and dad! I’ll see you all in a few days.”

I gave her a quick hug, “Bye, Lily.”

“See you, Amelia. Don’t forget to bring a bag of spare clothes and stuff to bring to my house after the party.”

“Will do.”

Lily then turned to James, who held her close for a moment.

“Aw, isn’t that so sweet,” murmured Mrs. Potter, looking as though she was about to tear up.

James kissed Lily’s forehead. I noticed him pause slightly, he must have been savoring her smell one last time before parting.

Slowly, Lily pulled away. “See you, James.” She smiled sadly.

“See you, Lils. Keep safe, okay?”

“Of course I will. Bye, everyone!”

I watched Lily as she walked away and joined a group of what were obviously Muggles. Her mum and dad hugged her and beamed like the proudest of parents. The tall, plain blonde accompanying them, however, didn’t look nearly as enthused. She gave Lily a stiff hug before turning away. That, I said to myself, must be Lily’s older sister, Petunia. I had always doubted the things Lily said about her, but upon seeing her, even from a distance, I could tell that Lily had been telling the truth.

I was absorbed in my thoughts as someone ran up from behind me and grabbed my arm. Looking down, I saw that it was Maggie. Her face was flushed with excitement, her curls bounced merrily, and I couldn’t help but notice that she looked happier than she had in months.

“Hey there, Maggie,” I smiled at her.

“Amelia, Alanna’s here! She came to pick us up!”

My face brightened. “Really? She’s here?”

“Yeah! We still have to round up Danny, but I’ll go get her so you can introduce her to your friends.” Maggie turned to Sirius and James, looking slightly bashful. “Hi Sirius, hi James.”

My sister then dashed off into the crowd, gone as fast as she had come.

“And Alanna is?” James questioned.

I opened my mouth to speak but Sirius beat me to it. “She’s Amelia’s older sister,” he explained.

It was then that Maggie came back with my only older sister on her arm. Alanna has always been extremely pretty, with her baby blue eyes and warm smile. Yet, at the same time, she was very reserved in her choice of words and actions. You could never tell if Alanna was pleased or upset; she covered the latter emotion especially well. However, she wasn’t as publicly reserved as Maggie.

Upon seeing Alanna for the first time in months, I immediately noticed one major difference. “Alanna,” I burst out, my thoughts coming out like a cannon from my mind. “You cut your hair!”

Indeed, her wavy brown hair, which was once just like my own, had been sheared off to the bottom of her chin in a cute bob.

She offered me one of her rare smiles. “Thank you, Amelia, it’s nice to see you too.”

My face flushed. “Oh… sorry!” I recovered from my moment of embarrassment quickly and, deciding to make up for it, stuck out my hand in greeting. “Hello, Alanna, it’s a delight to see you again.”

She shook it, giving me a weird look. “It’s a… delight to see you too.” She observed me for a moment. “I don’t know what it is, but you seem different.”

I shrugged. “New school, I guess.”

“Well, I’m afraid that I was the only one who could pick you three up. Dad’s working, as usual, and Mum’s too far into her cooking to quit now.” She rolled her eyes. “You know Mum…”

I nodded, noticing that Maggie had disappeared again. Then, remembering that I was still standing with Sirius, James, and his mother, I introduced my friends.

“These are my friends James and Sirius, and that’s his mum. Guys, this is my older sister, Alanna.” I motioned to her.

As they exchanged friendly greetings, Maggie arrived again, this time with Danny in tow.

“Hey, James and Sirius!” Danny greeted them happily. “How have you guys been? Are you excited for the holidays?”

James nodded enthusiastically. “We’re absolutely pumped! The holidays are pretty much heaven for us Marauders.”

“I bet they are,” Danny glanced slyly at Sirius. “It’s too bad we’re not all at school together, though.”

Sirius clapped him on the back. “True… very true.” He grinned at me.

Of course, Danny was alluding to the fact that I was going to be separated from Sirius over the holidays. Yes, I was going to miss him, but it was only a week or so. Plus, we’d all be together for the big party in a few days. I should be able to survive that long.

Alanna coughed loudly. “Well, since everyone in the Jordan family is all gathered up, I think it’s safe to say we can return home.”

Maggie nodded. “Okay, Alanna. Bye, Sirius! Bye James!”

My sisters disappeared in the crowd, followed closely by Danny.

I lingered, my eyes on Sirius. “Well… um…” I mumbled, not really knowing what to say.

Sirius leaned over and kissed my cheek gently, making my heart flutter. I put my hands on his shoulders and leaned upwards to kiss him in return, but Alanna was waiting.

“Amelia!” she shouted. “Let’s go!”

I was intending to merely kiss him on the cheek, but Alanna’s voice made my head turn in her direction. In that moment, my face so close to Sirius’s, our lips gently brushed against each other. It was just a brush, not an actual kiss, but it was enough to send my blood pumping through my ears.

“I’ll see you in a few days,” I said quickly to Sirius. I could tell that his mind has completely gone blank from the almost-kiss.

“What?” he asked, starting to come to his senses. “Oh… right! See you then!”

I flashed him one last smile. “Don’t forget to write!” He nodded as I turned away.

I then noticed Danny with standing my sisters a few yards away. They hadn’t disappeared into the crowd after all. In fact, they had been there the entire time. I scuttled over to them, knowing that my face was probably a deep crimson in color.

Danny grinned over his shoulder at Sirius. “Don’t worry, Sirius, we’ll take good care of her!”

I glared at him, mentally willing him to shut his fat mouth. Why couldn’t he just shut up? I was planning on telling Alanna and the rest of my family about Sirius later… they weren’t supposed to find out right away.

It wasn’t until we had all piled into the Muggle taxi cab Alanna had rented that my obvious relationship with Sirius was actually mentioned. “Amelia… are you and this Sirius boy a couple?” Alanna asked casually from her place in the front seat.

My face flushed again and I gazed sheepishly at my hands folded neatly in my lap. I felt the eyes of Danny and Maggie, both squished in back with me, boring into my head. “Well… we’re dating, if that’s what you mean.”

“What did you say his surname was?” she questioned.

I creased my forehead. “Black; his last name is Black”

“I see,” Alanna said to herself. That was it. She didn’t ask any questions, didn’t want to know how long our relationship had been going. She didn’t say anything, just gazed intently out the window.

I tried to do the same as Maggie began chattering away about school, but I just couldn’t bring myself to act cool. My brain was erupting with questions of my own. Why wasn’t Alanna asking more? Did she approve of the match? Would she tell Mum and Dad?

Although the car was filled with conversation, my trip consisted of reflective silence. My heart ached as I thought of all my friends. Yeah, I had looked forward to seeing my family, but was it possible to miss everyone already? It hadn’t even been an hour and I was already looking forward to seeing them again.

Depressing thoughts flittered across my mind as we passed through the dull grey suburbs of London. Now that I thought about it, I knew Alanna didn’t approve of Sirius. Without a doubt, she recognized his surname. After all, she was an Auror and I imagine a family known for being dark wizards, like the Blacks, would be familiar to her. There was no way she would know that he wasn’t like his relatives. Alanna probably figured he was as bad as the rest of them. No, I told myself, don’t think like that. It’s not true. I knew Sirius was different. That was all that mattered… right?
Chapter Endnotes: This chapter and the next were originally one chapter, but it was way too long... so I was forced to split them. Hopefully the next one will be on it's way soon! Remember, guys, I absolutely love reviews!