Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Girl Like You by Lady Alanna

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This is kind of a boring filler chapter. It was going to be combined with the next one, but that would be way too long, so I decided to cut it.

Feel free to leave a review and tell me how its going so far!

I'd also like to add that none of the things in here are mine.

CHAPTER THREE

Breakfast Discussions



The next morning, waking up was a real pain. At Beauxbatons, we woke up around nine o’clock every morning, but here at Hogwarts I guess we wake up at seven. Unfortunately, my new friends had failed to mention this little detail, and I was asleep in my beautiful new bed when someone threw open the hangings and pounced on me.



“Amelia, time to wake up!” yelled Haylie’s voice. I opened my eyes and looked up. There sat Haylie, fully dressed and fully awake.



I groaned and sat up. “What time is it?” I mumbled as I rubbed my eyes.



Haylie looked at her watch and replied, “Quarter after seven. Come on sleepy head, we’re already late!”



“Quarter after seven!” I sprang out of bed and forced myself to wake up. I grabbed some cloths from my drawer and threw on a cloak, not even taking the time to brush my hair. I quickly did a hair smoothening charm as we tore down the stairs and through the nearly empty common room.



Haylie and I sped down to the Great Hall to try and get there in time for breakfast. We were delayed only once by a Ravenclaw Prefect who scolded us for running, and then we set off jogging again as if it never happened. Finally, we reached the Gryffindor table.



“Amelia, you’re awake! We thought you were in a coma or something.” Micky said as Haylie and I sat across from her, Lily, and Leah.



I grinned. “Yeah, I had no idea what time we woke up at. Thanks for rescuing me, Haylie.”



Haylie smiled widely as she took a big bite of a bagel. “No problem!”



Leah wrinkled her nose. “Ugh, Haylie can you please not talk with your mouth full? It’s ruining my appetite.” She glanced up at the door just as a tall handsome Hufflepuff boy entered the hall, “By the way Haylie, look who just came in.”



Haylie raised her eyes and looked at the boy just as he glanced over at us. It was Amos Diggory, the popular Hufflepuff Quidditch Captain. He smiled nicely at her as he walked by. Instantly, Haylie began choking on her bagel from shock. I pounded her hard on the back and the bagel shot out onto her plate. Haylie looked over at Amos again, but he was busy talking with one of his fellow Hufflepuffs. She guiltily glanced down at the bagel on her plate and shoved it into her napkin, “Thanks a lot Leah. You completely made me look like a freak.”



Lily tucked a strand of red hair behind an ear as she joined the conversation. “Leah why do you always tease Haylie like that? You’re only embarrassing her, and we all hate it when you cause her do something disgusting.”



“Yeah, Mrs. Moony.” Haylie muttered under her breath.



“WHAT?” Leah demanded, shooting Haylie with the most intense death glare I have ever seen.



Lily grinned and turned to me. “Amelia, try to keep them from killing each other. I’ll see you guys in Potions. I need to talk to Professor Slughorn about something.” With an encouraging smile, Lily got up from the table and began to walk away. She was stopped by the Marauders who had come over while we where talking.



“Good morning Evans,” drawled James.



Lily’s eyes narrowed as she snapped. “Shove off Potter, I’ve got to get to class.” She turned her heel and strode away.



The boys sat down next to us. James shook his head while mumbling. “Lily Evans. Her temper is as fiery as her hair.”



“Prongs, mate, you shouldn’t provoke her like that.” Remus said, sitting next to Micky, “Good morning girls.” He smiled warmly in out direction. Leah’s face tuned a light shade of pink.



Micky smiled back at him. “Good morning Remus.”



“I see we have a transfer! Who might you be?” Remus asked politely, eyeing me.



“I’m Amelia Jordan.” I said, sticking out my hand in greeting.



Remus shook my hand and grinned sheepishly. “Remus Lupin, pleased to meet you. This is Peter Petigrew, Sirius Black, and James Potter.” He introduced me to them.



James nodded sulkily when his name was mentioned and Peter simply stared at me, his small beady eyes emotionless. Sirius was the only one who actually noticed he was being introduced to someone.



“Amelia, great to see you again!” Sirius then added to Remus, who looked slightly confused, “We met on the train.”



“Great to see you again too…I guess.” I said awkwardly, hoping I wasn’t blushing.



“Hey Remus, Leah has something that she wants to ask you!” Haylie announced. Leah’s eyes grew wide and her face became as red as Lily’s hair. My mouth fell open. Haylie was going for revenge, and it wasn’t going to be pretty.



“Really, what is that?” Remus asked as he glanced at Leah.



Leah shot up like a bullet. “Nothing! Honestly, it’s nothing. I’ll see you guys at class, I…uh…have to go find Lily.” Leah rushed out of the Great Hall.



Micky turned to Haylie. “Haylie that was really mean.”



Haylie shrugged. “She did that to me, she gets payback.”



I shook my head in disbelief. Something told me that being friends with these girls would never be boring.



Remus fiddled with his napkin in confusion. “What are you talking about? If Leah wants to ask me something, why doesn’t she just ask?”



Micky sighed. “Remus, Leah never wanted to ask you anything. Haylie was just being mean.”



Haylie’s mouth flew open as she practically shouted, “Hey, she made me choke on my bagel! Honestly, she deserved it!”



“She did what?” Sirius demanded with an amused look on his face, joining in the conversation.



Micky shook her head. “Never mind,” She turned to James, “So James, Lily strike you out again?”



“No, she didn’t even give me time to swing.” He mumbled grumpily, stabbing a bagel with his fork.



“Come on Prongs, mate, you really need to stop asking her out! Even I can see that it’s driving her crazy!” Sirius pointed out. James opened his mouth to respond, and Sirius cut him off. “Hey, being your best mate gives me rights to give advice like this.”



James punched him in the arm, “Shut it Padfoot. I haven’t even asked her out yet this term. Why does she hate me so much? I try so hard to look cool and confident for her, and she never seems to notice!”



“Maybe she doesn’t want you to bee cool and confident for her. Maybe if you just laid back and acted more yourself, she’d accept you.” I suggested.



James looked at me like I was crazy. “Huh?”



I met his hazel eyes with my hazel green ones, “Maybe you should stop trying to be someone you’re not, and show Lily the real you. Maybe if she sees who you really are, she’ll say yes.”



“She’s right, you know. Sirius agreed, his eyes on me. “Prongs, if you stopped being such a git, she might actually like you.”



I burst out laughing as James protested. “I am not a git!”



“Um, actually, sometimes, you can be a really big one.” Micky commented. When she saw James’s shocked face she apologized. “Well, not all the time, but you can be a really big jerk sometimes. Lily told me herself that she’d never go out with someone as rude as you.”



James scowled. “Lily obviously doesn’t know what she’s talking about. I’ll show her…” He got up and stalked out of the hall. Peter got up and followed him, claiming he had to use the bathroom.



Micky, Haylie, Remus, Sirius, and I finished our breakfast in silence. I wolfed down the rest of my food as fast as I could, and sped off towards the Ravenclaw table.



Maggie sat amongst her fellow second years, she looked slightly pale, but overall, she was considerably happier than I had seen her since we separated from out parents. She conversed quietly with a girl who had her honey blonde hair pulled into twin braids.



My sister looked up at me when I approached and her face flushed with happiness. “Hello, Amelia!”



I smiled at her, thankful that she had finally come out of her shell. “Hey there Maggie! How is it going?”



Maggie shrugged. “It’s good, I guess. I kind of wish I was in Gryffindor with you and Danny, but its nice in Ravenclaw too. This is my new friend, Naomi. Naomi, this is my sister, Amelia.”



“Hello, Amelia. It’s nice to meet you.” Naomi said politely.



Suddenly, along came Hollie, who rushed me away from my sister and her friend. “Amelia darling! We HAVE to talk!” She ushered me out of the Great Hall and into the corridor. She then faced me, her pale blue eyes unreadable. Hollie crossed her arms in front of her chest, and I observed painfully that she had worn the tightest shirt possible under her open black cloak. “So Amelia, you are going to help me hook up with either Sirius or James. Take your pick.”



I gaped at her. “What?”



Hollie flipped her long hair over her shoulder. “You heard me.” She said slyly, inspecting her fingernails. “James and Sirius are dead hot, I’m going to have one of them, and you’re helping me. You’re in the same house as them, all you have to do is talk about me all the time, and we can schedule a meeting.”



My eyebrows shot up, practically above my hairline. “Hollie, why do you think guys will always want YOU? Can’t you just let it be for once in your life?” I turned and stalked down the hallway. She had no right to be going after guys this early in the term!



I heard Hollie shout to my back. “Oh, and you expect Sirius to fall for a girl like YOU? Give me a break, Amelia!”



Ignore her, I had told myself, as I tried to keep myself from hexing her hair off her pretty little head. I took a turn down the hallway, and there was Leah!



“Oh Amelia! I was just getting a few books from the library before class! I needed something to take my mind off breakfast.” She explained, falling into step with me. “Are you heading to Potions?”



“Yeah.” I sighed.



“Well, you’re going the wrong way.” Leah pointed out. “Potions class is held in the dungeons, I’ll show you where to go.”



Feeling slightly embarrassed, but too infuriated with Hollie to care, Leah led me down flights of stairs and to the dungeons.