Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Muggle Studies--The Muggle Way by I_LUV_MOONY

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: My first humor fic! Suggestions are completely appreciated, as this is one of the first fics I have ever written. If there are any questions just ask it in a review!
8:30 P.M., Gryffindor Common Room



The Marauders had just gotten back to the common room after a hard day of learning and pranking (one involving Snape and balloons filled with hair dye). They were about to go up to their dormitories when they saw that a notice had been tacked up on the bulletin board. It was a crisp white paper with the words written in green to make sure everyone passing saw it. By the light of the window they read:



STUDENTS IN THIRD OR FOURTH

YEAR MUGGLE STUDIES

MUST PARTAKE IN A MANDATORY

BALLROOM DANCE CLASS

TO BE HELD DURING YOUR

SCHEDULED CLASS TIME

NO WANDS ALLOWED

Please find your own partners.

Classes begin Tuesday, February 10.


Sirius turned to his friends. “What does ‘partake’ mean?” he asked.



“It means to participate or take part in,” explained Remus.



“Ballroom… that’s with partners, right?” asked James.



“Yes,” said Peter at once.



The others looked at him curiously. He blushed under their stares.



“My mum enrolled me in class before I came here,” said Peter sheepishly, “And it’s on the notice.”



“Are you any good?” asked Remus earnestly.



“No.”



The other boys groaned. Sirius smacked his forehead with the palm of his hand.



“What’s this?” asked Lily, walking up to them, “A challenge the Marauders can’t face?”



James immediately ruffled his hair. “Do you want to be my partner?” he asked, adopting a suave attitude.



“Actually,” she said with a bemused look, “I came over her to ask Remus.”



Remus gulped loudly. “M-me?” he stuttered.



Sirius and Peter gawked at Lily, Remus, and James in turn with their mouths wide open.



“You don’t want to be with me,” said Remus quickly, “You should go with James.”



“You’re probably more graceful than Potter. And you would take this seriously, unlike Potter who would joke about it rather than actually care,” explained Lily patiently.



James was fuming. “Says who?” he asked heatedly.



"It's just obvious,” said Lily, as if it finalized the matter.



“She’s got you there, mate,” said Sirius with mock-seriousness.



“I can’t be with you,” said Remus. He glanced around the common room, his eyes seeking something.



“Why not?” asked Lily.



“Because, uhh,” “ Remus grabbed the first girl he saw “ “I’m with Guinevere.”



Lily and Guinevere were both surprised. “Alright, then, James,” said Lily, “I’ll go with you.”



“Yes!” James punched the air.



“Do I get a say in this?” asked Guinevere.



James and Remus looked at her nervously.



“Uhh…sure,” said James cautiously.



“Don’t look so worried. I was just going to say that I would love to be your partner, Remus, but you should come up with a better way of asking,” she said indifferently. She shrugged her shoulders. James and Remus looked relieved.



“Well, see you later, then,” said Lily as she walked to the girls’ dormitory. James watched her closely until she disappeared up the staircase.



“Thank you,” said Remus breathlessly to Guinevere.



“I was going to ask you anyway,” said Guinevere, blushing.



“Congratulations, Moony! Your first admirer,” said Sirius. “It was the Marauder charm, wasn’t it?” Sirius added to Guinevere.



“James would’ve killed me if I danced with Lily,” said Remus shakily.



“Yeah, I would have,” growled James, “I may have to anyway, if she finds you more attractive than me.”



Remus paled considerably. Sirius and James saw this and laughed. “I’m just kidding, mate,” said James, patting him on the shoulder.



“Besides, he won’t be able to kill you because I won’t let him,” said Guinevere confidently.



“You think you can take me on?” asked a disbelieving James.



“I think I can,” said Guinevere. She stepped up to him and looked him in the eye. Her arms were folded over her chest.



“Meet me by the painting of Barnabas the Barmy,” said James, his face barely an inch from hers.



“Room of Requirement?” asked Guinevere.



Sirius was taken aback. “How’d you know about that?” he asked stupidly.



She turned to Sirius. “I overheard you four. So is that where we’re meeting?” said Guinevere coolly. She turned back to James



“Midnight,” said James.



“Alright then. Bye, Remus.” She gave a little wave, then followed Lily to the girls dormitory. Remus' eyes followed her until she, too, disappeared into the unknown that was the girls' dormitory.



“Moony, are you okay?” asked Peter.



“I think he’s been bitten by the love bug,” teased Sirius.



“I have not. I…er…appreciate her for being my-“ said Remus.



“Oh, give it a rest, Moony,” interrupted Sirius with a lazy wave of the hand, “There’s nothing wrong with a little love.”



“There is for me,” said Remus quietly.



“I think you should give her a chance,” said James, “She’s almost top of the year. Right under us, of course.”



“I can’t risk it,” said Remus, shaking his head.



“Yeah, ‘cause she might beat you up if you break up with her,” joked Peter.



Sirius laughed. James looked on coldly. “You think she’ll win, don’t you?” asked James furiously.



“Depends,” said Sirius.



“On what?” asked James.



“Well, if Moony is there, you’ll win because she’ll be too busy looking at him to fight,” said Sirius.



“Umm, will you guys stop this conversation if I admit my love for Guinevere?” asked Remus.



“Yeah!” said Sirius hopefully.



“Too bad. Carry on,” said Remus with a grin.



“Ha, ha,” said James sarcastically.



“You really should give her a shot,” said Sirius.



“Maybe,” said Remus.



“But now we have another problem,” said Sirius, “Who’s going to be my partner?”



“And mine?” added Peter.



“Wormtail, don’t kid yourself,” said James, “Padfoot, you could go up to any random girl, and she would say yes.”



“Yeah,” said Sirius, looking off into distance.



“Um, excuse me,” said Tara shyly, who was walking up to them.



“Hello, Tara,” said Remus kindly.



“I was just wondering if Sirius would be my partner for Muggle Studies,” said Tara, staring at her feet.



“I’d love to!” said Sirius in a jolly way. He gave her a hug.



“Thanks!” said Tara. She walked back to her group of friends, grinning broadly.



“Well, that solves my problem!” said Sirius.



“But what about me?” whined Peter.



“Uh…I give up,” said James.



“I could always summon Kreacher for you, Peter,” said Sirius with an evil smirk, “He does seem to fancy you.”



Peter blushed as James and Remus laughed.



“Why not ask Alex?” pointed out Remus, “She seems nice enough.”



“Alright,” said Peter brightly, “I’ll go ask her now.” He fought the crowd over to Alex, who was chatting with her friends.



“Moony, you’re too nice for your own good,” said Sirius, “You should’ve let Wormtail figure it out for himself.”



“He’s a big boy,” said James.



“But he really really needed the help,” said Remus, “Besides, it’s not like Alex is cute, or anything. She looks almost just like him.”



Sirius peered over at her. “Whoa, you’re right!” said Sirius.



“So, then, what do you think of Guinevere?” asked James.



“How about I answer for him?” said Sirius. “She’s so beautiful, with her dark brown hair and bright blue eyes that glow with intelligence. And she’s tough, I can’t wait to see her beat up James tonight,” Sirius said in a love struck tone.



Ha, ha, Sirius, very funny,” said Remus.



“But it’s true,” persisted Sirius.



“Yes, I suppose,” said Remus under his breath, his eyes looking down at the floor.



“Aha! I knew it!” exclaimed Sirius.



“Moony’s in love! Moony’s in love!” taunted James.



“This is exactly why I wasn’t going to say anything. I’m going to bed,” said Remus angrily. He began walking away.



“Oh, come on!” said Sirius.



“Good night, Prongs. Good night, Padfoot,” called Remus over his shoulder as he reached the staircase that lead to the boys' dormitory.



“You idiot!” James smacked Sirius.