Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Muggle Studies--The Muggle Way by I_LUV_MOONY

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: And we are back with our beloved characters. It's off to Double Charms and then Remus' and Gwen's first date. Well, kind of.

8:30 A.M. Charms

“Today we shall be reviewing Summoning Charms, as they always come in O.W.L.s,” said Professor Flitwick, “So please begin.”

The Marauders, Gwen, and Lily went over and began working. Lily and Gwen discussed the night’s events.

“So, you and Remus are together,” said Lily as she Summoned her book from her desk.

“That is what I told you last night,” said Gwen after Summoning Remus’ quill. She twirled it in her fingers, kissed it, then Banished it back to his desk.

“Well, I was half-asleep and didn’t know if it was a dream,” said Lily patiently.

“Good point. So do you want to hear about me kicking Jamsie’s butt?” asked Gwen.

“I thought that was a dream!” said an astonished Lily.

“Yep, I kicked his butt,” said Gwen casually, “He was really mad. Remus and he had a bit of a row about it.”

“They’re still friends, though, right?”

Gwen gestured over to James, who had Summoned Sirius’ book and was threatening to rip out the pages, and Remus, who was observing his quill with interest. “It wasn’t a real big thing. They sorted it out after James and Sirius got detention from McGonagall.”

“That’s good,” said Lily.

“So, Evans,” cut in James, “I was wondering if you wanted to go to Hogsmeade with me?”

“I’m already your ballroom partner; don’t push it,” answered Lily.

“Ah, come on, Evans,” said James. He gave her a pleading look. “Hey, wait a minute,” he said with realization, “You nicked my Invisibility Cloak!” He looked at Remus.

“That is true,” said Remus evenly, “I was wondering when you would remember.”

Gwen, Lily, and Sirius laughed.

“Now I get to nick something of yours,” said James with an evil grin.

“That is also true,” said Remus calmly.

“You have an Invisibility Cloak?” asked Gwen incredulously.

“Yes.”

“Then why did you get caught last night?” asked Gwen.

“I didn’t put it away in the right place, so he couldn’t find it,” said Remus.

“So where did you put it?” asked Sirius.

“Under Peter’s bed,” replied Remus.

Everyone laughed. Peter stopped concentrating on his textbook and looked up at the sound of his name.

“Now, now, get back to work,” said Professor Flitwick reproachfully.

James proceeded to Summon Remus’ bookbag. He rifled through until he pulled out the Rose.

Lily and Gwen gasped.

“Is that...?” began Lily.

“...a Rose of True Feelings?” finished Gwen in a whisper. She took it from James and smelled it.

“Is that what I smell like?” she asked Remus quietly.

He nodded. “I was going to show you in the library,” he said.

“Well, if you don’t mind,” interjected James loudly, “This is what I’m going to take.” He took the Rose back from Gwen.

“Very well,” said Remus, struggling to keep his temper under control.

“Remus, I want to pull one,” Gwen whispered to him.

“Before our date starts,” he whispered back, “Accio Parchment!” He Summoned a bit of spare parchment from Gwen’s desk. Gwen had written ‘I love Remus Lupin’ and other things along those lines over and over again.

“Uhh...” said Gwen.

“Interesting,” said Remus with a smile.

“I had... planned on binning that,” she said with a blush.

“Let me see that,” said Sirius. He took the paper despite Gwen’s pleads for him not to.

“Very nice,” said Sirius before he pocketed it with a wink.

“Give it back!” said Gwen as she reached for his pocket.

Sirius kept her at bay easily.

“I think I’ll show it to Snivellus. You know he likes you, right? He might try to beat up Moony, but we could always just schedule the fight at the Willow on the full moon,” said Sirius while steepling his fingers.

“Why would the full moon matter?” asked Gwen curiously.

“Did I say full moon? I meant...”

Accio Parchment!” said Gwen. The parchment zoomed into her outstretched hand.

“Very nice, Miss Reynolds!” said a passing Professor Flitwick.

Sirius stuck his tongue out at Gwen. “Teacher’s pet,” he muttered.

Gwen grinned. “Always have been, always will be.”

And so Charms class passed with more Summonings, more laughter, and more love.

10:00 A.M. Greenhouse Two

Remus led Gwen to the greenhouses as soon as the bell rang. He took her to the Rose bush, and she looked at them in awe.

“Go on.” He nudged her gently.

Gwen took a deep breath, then placed her fingers on the stem of one.

“Remus Lupin,” she said with determined clearness.

She pulled the Rose.

It immediately turned a brilliant shade of red. Gwen smelled it; she then pulled Remus into a fierce hug.

“Chocolate,” she whispered into his robes.

He held her at arm’s length. “I love you,” he said quietly.

“I love you, too,” she answered.

They leaned in to kiss...

“Ah, Mr. Lupin, Miss Reynolds, I see you found my Roses of True Feelings,” said Professor Sprout, coming up to them.

They pulled away quickly. Gwen hid the Rose behind her back.

“Yes, Professor,” they muttered together.

“Well, may I see the Rose?” asked Professor Sprout.

Gwen took the Rose out from behind her back. Professor Sprout gasped.

“I have never seen such a red!” she said, “Which one of you pulled it?”

“I did, Professor,” said Gwen.

“Mr. Lupin, did you pull one?” asked Professor Sprout.

“It’s in my dorm,” said Remus.

Professor Sprout sniffed it and let out another gasp. “It...it... smells like chocolate!”

“That would be me,” said Remus.

Professor Sprout returned the Rose to Gwen. “Well, I am very happy for you both,” she said.

“Thank you, Professor,” the couple said together.

“I’ll leave you two to your private moment, then,” said Professor Sprout, turning to leave.

“Oh, we were going to the library, anyway,” said Gwen, “We’ll see you later, Professor.”

“Good-bye,” said Professor Sprout.

Remus and Gwen walked back to the castle hand-in-hand. Neither said anything until they got to the library, where Madam Pince snapped at them for slamming their books on the table.

“They’re not even her books,” hissed Gwen at Madam Pince’s retreating back.

“That’s not important,” said Remus.

“It’s kind of weird, isn’t it?” asked Gwen after a moment’s silence.

“It is weird how we already know our true loves, and we’re only 15,” said Remus.

“Well, I was going to say how it’s weird that we get interrupted every time we try to kiss, but what you said is true, too,” said Gwen, “We could...”

“With Madam Pince breathing down our necks?”

“Good point. Well, we came here to study, so could you quiz me on Ancient Runes?” asked Gwen.

“I need to tell you something first.” Remus took a deep breath.

“You can tell me anything,” she said, placing her hand lightly on his.

“I’m a werewolf,” he said nearly inaudibly.

“A what?”

“A...werewolf,” he said a little louder.

Gwen stare at him, trying to read his face. Then everything clicked.

“That’s why you’re sick all the time?” asked Gwen.

He nodded.

“And these scars...” She gently traced the scars on his face with her finger. He gave a small shudder, and she quickly retreated.

“I don’t have anything to bite, so I have to bite and scratch myself.” He grabbed the hand that had traced the outlines of his face and held it in both of his.

“If you want to run, I would understand,” he said quietly.

“Why would I run?” she answered in the same tone. She reached in to kiss him...

“OUT!” screeched Madam Pince, “This is a library, not a broom closet! OUT!”

Gwen and Remus grabbed their things as fast as they could and made a mad dash out to the lake before Madam Pince could do anything else.

They ran and ran, never stopping to look back. Who knew what the Pincer could do? They finally reached the lake and stood doubled over, trying to catch their breath.

“Every...time,” said Gwen between gasps, “Every...time...we try...to kiss...”

“Someone...interrupts,” finished a panting Remus.

Gwen gulped, then said, “I think someone...has it out for us. Maybe someone...warns teachers to watch us or something.” She straightened. Remus did the same.

“I think you’re being a little paranoid. Who would want to keep us from kissing? Who would even care?”

But what they didn’t know was that there was someone who wanted to keep them from kissing. There was someone who cared. He was hiding among the trees, watching them. He was a boy with a broken heart: Severus Snape.

“Well, no one’s around,” said Gwen suggestively, “We could...”

“You read my mind,” said Remus.

Snape panicked. She was right; no one was around. Who could stop them from kissing?

The couple were leaning in to kiss.

“Lupin, I really didn’t think you were one to give public displays of affection,” sneered Snape as he walked up to them, “Of course, I didn’t think you were one to show any kind of affection.”

Remus scowled. “At least I have a girl,” he said.

“And a cute one, at that,” said Gwen. Remus looked at her. “Hey, I am cute.”

“Very true,” said Remus with a smile.

Gwen giggled.

“Oh, please,” said Snape with disgust, “Like you’re the master of girls.”

“He did get me,” said Gwen.

“True. But what are the odds that you are dating him out of pity?” said Snape with a smirk, “You can’t have had many girls, Lupin, and Reynolds here can do much better.”

Gwen had to restrain Remus from tackling Snape to the ground. Snape raised an eyebrow.

“I seem to have touched a nerve,” said Snape. He crossed his arms over his chest, smirking with satisfaction.

Remus reached inside his robes and pulled out his wand. A second later Snape was upside-down. His robes fell off his arms and landed in a pile on the ground. With a Sirius-like grin, Remus Banished them into the lake.

“Take it back,” snarled Remus, “She is not dating me out of pity.”

“Are you sure?” asked Snape, his face slowly turning purple, “Or maybe it’s to save what little reputation you have. You do know that people think you’re gay, right?”

Gwen pulled out her wand and slammed Snape to the ground. Then she cried, “Petrificus Totalus!

Snape’s arms and legs snapped together, and he fell backwards onto the ground. Gwen strode up to him and bent her face down close to his.

“Remus Lupin is not gay. I am not dating him out of pity, and no one is better than him,” she said defiantly. Then she smacked him, taking advantage of the fact that he could not defend himself.

She rolled him into the bushes but took care to make sure he could see everything that went on. Then she went back to her beloved and pulled him into a hug.

“I’m not dating you out of pity,” she said, her voice muffled because it was on his shoulder, “I’m dating you because I love you.”

Remus smiled. “I knew that,” he said. She lifted her head and rested her hands on his shoulders. They leaned in to kiss...

“Hey, guys!” shouted a passing Peter.

...and were interrupted by a poor boy with no knowledge of girls and relationships.