Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wizarding Tales for Bedtime by Roxy Black

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Prologue


The fire roared warmly in its hearth as Ron Weasley set his trunk of childhood memories on the floor. He smiled up at Hermione and opened it, searching for the book he remembered his father reading to him when he was small.

“It’s in here somewhere, Hermione,” he said as he dug deeper into the wooden box, “I know it. I would never have let my dad throw it away or sell it.”

Hermione smiled at the red-haired man’s enthusiasm. Ever since she had told him about the baby, several months ago, he had been searching the Burrow for toys and items that he could remember having as a child. He was currently trying to find a book of fairytales that he had loved to add to the collection of storybooks Hermione had created in their nursery.

“You’ll love it, Hermione,” he said, pulling out teddies and tiny Quidditch robes. “Of course, a lot of my things went to Ginny when she was born but I wouldn’t give her this. I liked it too much.”

His head was now deep into the chest as he searched. Hermione was surprised that he hadn’t fallen in, he was leaning over so much. She was beginning to wonder if the chest had been magically modified to fit so many things inside when a muffled voice called from inside.

“Found it!”

Ron emerged with a large, leather bound book in his hands.

“This is it Hermione, this is what I was trying to find.”

He walked over and sat beside her on the sofa, placing a hand on her stomach and feeling the baby move. He handed her the book which she opened and looked through. There were several stories that she knew from her own childhood books as well as some that she hadn’t heard of. Each story was hand written and illustrated with magical moving paintings, little elves making shoes, a little girl running away from a wolf. According to Ron, the book had been made by his Grandfather when he was born. The first page was emblazoned with the words ‘Fata viam invenient.’

“The fates will find a way?”

“My Grandfather believed that everything happens for a reason. Whenever I found something I couldn’t do, he would always say that and tell me to give it time. I guess he was right, huh.” He smiled at her. “He wrote that message on the first page just before he died. I guess he wanted me to remember it after he was gone. I actually took it out and looked at it before the battle, when everything seemed to be going wrong. He was a great guy, my granddad.”

“It’s perfect, Ron,” she smiled and kissed him on the cheek.

“I can’t wait until it’s born,” he replied before talking directly to her belly. “I’ll read to you everyday.”

“Can you read them to me now please, Ron?” Hermione asked, “I’d like to hear them and you never know, the baby might be able to hear them too.”

Ron smiled and opened the book.

“Ok,” he cleared his throat. “Wizarding Tales for Bedtime.”