Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Unintended Desire of the Heart by laceymoibella

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes:
I want to thank my wonderful beta, Social Loner, for working with me on this chapter. You're the best!

Also, I want to thank the very lovely Red and Gold for her superb suggestions on this chapter. You're teh bomb!

Enclosed in darkness, Hermione let her eyes adjust to the change. She discarded the idea of illuminating her surroundings out of concern for being seen before she had the time to comprehend the situation. As Hermione’s eyes got used to the dark she listened intently but could hear nothing.



Slowly, Hermione inched forward, running her right hand along the roughened stone wall. Hermione walked, painstakingly, being cautious of her steps since she didn’t know the layout of the passageway.



As she made her way along, Hermione’s breathing quickened as she began to see a slight flickering up ahead. Hermione’s hand slid over a curve, indicating the tunnel turned to her right. Shadows danced on the walls that were being cast by some sort of light. Hesitantly, Hermione looked around the corner and her mouth dropped open.



Hermione was greeted by the sight of Draco, sitting on the floor of the passage with his elbows resting upon his drawn up knees, face in his hands. Draco’s discarded robes lay on the floor next to him. He had rolled his shirt sleeves up to his elbows.



Hermione heard Draco mutter in what sounded like a miserable voice, “This is insane.”



Why is Draco clearing the rubble? She watched as Draco dropped his hands away from his face and viewed the pile of ruins on his left. Hermione took a cautious step forward.



*****

Draco had immersed himself in removing the debris that blocked the tunnel. He had diligently worked on taking care of a quarter of the pile before he stopped to survey his handiwork. Draco knew the job in front of him was monumental and wondered again how he would ever complete it. It was not like he had loads of time in which he could go away unnoticed. And, he had his Prefect duties to contend with, to say nothing of the curly haired Gryffindor that seemed to intrude into his mind lately. And there is no way that she can find out what I’m doing.



Sinking down to the ground, Draco’s thoughts traveled back to that day in February; the day that had changed his life.



Draco received an owl from his mother one morning at breakfast, along with his sweets. She had instructed Draco to meet her in Hogsmeade the next time Hogwarts allowed the students to go.



Draco, there’s an alley behind the Hogs Head,
meet me there at 1:00 pm. We will go to the Manor
to conduct family business.
Be sure you are not seen
Love, Mother.




Draco had not sent an owl back. He knew it was not a matter choice for him. Draco was expected, and he would be there.



Draco arrived early at the intended spot. Without warning there was a loud ‘Crack!’ beside him and without saying a word, Bellatrix reached out with her claw like hand and clutched Draco’s arm. Before he could blink, Draco felt his feet leave the ground and was soaring.



Draco and Bellatrix Apparated to the parlor of Malfoy Manor. He felt a jolt when he saw who was standing before the blazing fireplace -- Lord Voldemort. A sick feeling filled the pit of Draco’s stomach.



“Draco,” the Dark Lord acknowledged without looking away from the fire. Narcissa was seated upon the love seat, looking deathly pale.



“It has been brought to my attention that there are passageways hidden within Hogwarts that lead to various locations in Hogsmeade,” the Dark Lord declared. Draco stood silent as Voldemort paced before the fire.



“Most are inaccessible to me because I could easily be seen and that cannot be permitted,” the evil wizard stated matter-of-factly. “However, there is one that could allow me to enter Hogwarts undetected. Unfortunately,” Voldemort paused to observe Draco, “that entryway has been rendered impassable, due to a cave in.”



Draco stood speechless, waiting for Lord Voldemort to continue. Draco, who had attended Hogwarts for six years, had no inkling of any secret tunnels leading out of the school. How did Voldemort know about them?



Draco attempted to block his thoughts from the Dark Lord. His aunt, Bellatrix, had been training him for a few months now. But, Voldemort was a far better accomplished Legilimens, and answered his unasked question.



“How do I know it’s caved in?” the Dark Lord said silkily. “Well, it so happens one of my loyal servants was one of the first to have traversed them. He was able to confide in me that this passageway could serve to aid me in my quest to control and conform the Wizarding world.



“As for how I know this certain tunnel is blocked, well, you could say it was too small for even a rat to gain entry through,” Lord Voldemort finished with a flourish of his right hand.



“You, Draco, have access to the secret passage by simply being at Hogwarts. It is located on the fourth floor. The entrance is behind the mirror that adorns the wall. The password is ‘Dissendium,’” the dark wizard extended his right hand toward Draco. “And, since you are your father’s son, it is your duty, is it not, to follow in your dear father’s footsteps?”



The Dark Lord casually strode toward Narcissa. “You, Draco,” the pale faced figure declared, “must remove the rubble that is keeping me from entering Hogwarts.” Draco chanced a look at his mother and noticed how her hands shook.



Voldemort traced a long white finger along Narcissa’s left cheekbone. “You have until the thirteenth of May to complete your task. If you do not have the tunnel ready by then, you have a choice.” The pale fingers slid down to cup Narcissa’s chin.



Though it took a tremendous effort to keep his voice even, Draco asked, “What choice?”



Lord Voldemort attempted a smile, “You could choose an immediate, yet drawn out death for your mother while you watch,” he replied as his grip tightened on Narcissa’s chin, “or your dear, loving mother can witness the slow, brutal demise of her only son.”



The dark wizard left Narcissa’s side and came to stand before Draco. “Your best option, though, would be to get the task done and redeem the Malfoy name,” Voldemort stared directly into Draco’s grey eyes.



Draco watched as the most hated wizard of his era returned to the fireplace. He observed his mother, whose whole body visibly shook, now. Draco, having mustered courage from deep within, managed, “And, if I succeed/?”



A low, menacing laugh filled the room as Lord Voldemort responded, “Then you both shall live. Your lives will be spared and you, Draco, will continue to serve me.” The evil wizard looked toward Bellatrix, “I think young Draco is ready.”




Shaking off the memory, Draco currently let out a shuddering breath as his mind drifted back to the present. Staring at his hands, Draco turned his left arm over so he could view the inside of his forearm.



****


From the shadows, Hermione gasped. Draco snatched up his wand and jumped to his feet as he turned to his right. “Stupefy!” he shouted as he aimed his wand in her direction.



“Expelliarmus!” she replied and Draco saw his wand leave his hand as he was flung back against the rubble, his head smacking hard enough to bring tears to his eyes. As he was lifting his head slightly, Hermione stepped out of the shadows with her arm out in front of her. She saw recognition flare in Draco’s eyes when her head of bushy hair come into his view.



“Granger?” she heard Draco choke out while at the same time she bound his upper arms to his sides with invisible ropes.



Hermione noted Draco followed her movements through squinted eyes as she stooped to retrieve his wand and slip it into the pocket of her robes. She witnessed him struggle against his bindings and he only stopped when Hermione pressed her wand into him.



Looking at her with a malevolent expression Draco snarled, “Do you think you frighten me, Granger?” He laughed hollowly. “Nothing you could possibly do bothers me. So go ahead, give it your best shot.”



Hermione looked on wordlessly and then squatted down beside him. “It’s not up to me to decide your fate, Malfoy, it is Dumbledore’s,” she told him.



Switching her wand to her left hand, which she directed at his chest, Hermione grabbed his left wrist with her right and turned it so she could see the inside of his forearm. Mesmerized, Hermione ran her fingertips over the mark on his arm. She couldn’t suppress the shiver than ran uncontrollably through her simply by touching him. Hermione released his arm and looked at him before solemnly saying, “It is true; you are in allegiance with Voldemort.”



Hermione observed Draco as a shadow flitted across his face. As suddenly as it was there, it was gone, making Hermione wonder if she had imagined it.



Draco disparaged, “Yeah, Granger, now you know. You and your kind will rue the day you were allowed into Hogwarts, much less be born.” When she moved away from him, Draco spat out, “Scared, Mudblood? You should be.”



Hermione reached into her robes and pulled out a coin which she tapped quickly with her wand. Pocketing the Galleon, Hermione advanced on Draco once more. “Get up,” she ordered.



Draco attempted to stand up from his sitting position. “Well, Granger, I would love to but I don’t think I can get up on my own,” Draco admitted grudgingly.



Hermione bent down and clasped Draco’s right hand. Looking directly at her, Draco shoved off from the wall of debris. Swaying, Hermione put her wand hand on his back to steady him. Silently, as though in shock, the two of them viewed one another. Hermione felt her blood course through her veins as she continued to steady Draco.



As Draco peered down at her, Hermione felt an unaccountable urge to stand on her tiptoes and claim his mouth with her own. At that moment, Draco closed his eyes and Hermione was brought out of her inexplicable reverie.



Keeping her wand trained on Draco, Hermione bent to retrieve the jar of light. Straightening up, Hermione placed her wand firmly into his back and commanded, “Walk!” and Draco began their forward trek.



As they neared the entrance, Draco stumbled, dropped to his knees with an, “Ohh,” and sagged his head.



“Draco! What’s the matter?” Hermione questioned in alarm.



“My head…throbs,” Draco moaned. He fell sideways into the wall.



Concern, along with wariness, etched Hermione’s face as she kneeled down beside Draco. As she reached out to feel the back of Draco’s head, he gazed up at her. “Don’t,” he murmured and shut his eyes.



Hermione stopped, her hand poised in mid air. “I’m not falling for one of your tricks, Draco,” she told his inert body. She kept her wand carefully aimed at him in her other hand. Draco didn’t stir. Brow furrowed, Hermione wondered, what is wrong with him?



Ignoring his plea, Hermione felt Draco’s head. A thrill ran through her as she encountered the silkiness of his hair. Gently, Hermione explored the back of his head and found what she was searching for: a lump where Draco’s head had connected with the pile of rocks. She slipped her fingers to check the pulse in his neck. Feeling a strong, beat, Hermione sat back to assess the situation. Her body felt enflamed after touching Draco.



After a moment’s hesitation, Hermione stood and walked to the hidden door. “Dissendium!” The portal opened. Hermione stepped one foot out of the entryway and peered back at Draco who remained still. Glancing up the hall, relief swept through Hermione as she spotted Ron striding toward her, apparently alone.



“Hermione!” Ron stammered, “Wh-what the bloody hell are you doing in there?”



Suddenly, Harry appeared at Ron’s side. Hermione ushered them inside, the mirror closing behind them. She waited for Ron and Harry’s eyes to adjust to the change in lighting.



Noticing Malfoy’s slumped form, Harry spoke first. “Hermione, what’s wrong with Malfoy?”



“Better yet,” Ron looked questioningly at Hermione, “is he dead?”



“No, he’s not dead,” Hermione replied exasperatedly. She proceeded to tell Harry and Ron the recent events that had unfolded.



“So, Malfoy never let on to you what his exact intentions were?” Harry inquired.



“No,” Hermione answered. A low moan came from Draco’s direction. Harry, Ron and Hermione turned to look at him. Draco, who was coming around, blinked when he caught sight of them.



Ron whipped out his wand. “Give me a reason, Malfoy.”



Hermione quickly grabbed Ron’s wand arm. “No, Ron, put it away. Let Dumbledore deal with him.”



Draco sneered, “Go ahead, Weasley. As I’ve already told Granger, nothing you could possibly do, can intimidate me.”



Ron, Harry and Hermione exchanged glances and then Hermione stepped toward Draco. “Nothing funny, Draco,” she warned him as Ron and Harry came to roughly stand Draco on his feet. “You’re going to be under the Invisibility Cloak with Harry, Draco, as we take you to Dumbledore’s office,” Hermione explained. All three had their wands trained on him.



Draco viewed Harry with disgust. “I‘d rather not have to touch you either, Malfoy,” Harry remarked as he gripped Draco’s right arm with his left hand, his wand jabbed into Draco’s side with his right. Ron moved to stand behind both Harry and Draco, his wand aimed at Draco’s back. Hermione covered Harry and Draco with the Invisibility Cloak then twirled around and marched to the portal once more. “Dissendium!” she recited and the mirror swung forward.



They hurriedly climbed out of the passage, and made their way to Dumbledore’s office. “Sugar Quills!” Hermione said to the stone gargoyle, which moved aside to allow access to the upward spiraling marble staircase.


Hermione knocked on the office door. “Come in!” came a muffled reply. Hermione entered first, Ron a few steps behind her.



Smiling, his silver beard twinkling in the light, Dumbledore greeted his guests. “Miss Granger, Mr. Weasley, to what do I owe the pleasure of your company at this hour?”



Ron shifted slightly behind Hermione. “Well, sir,” Hermione started, “I have stumbled upon some illicit activity tonight. I summoned Ron and Harry to help me.”



Dumbledore observed Hermione with a quizzical expression. Suddenly, Draco appeared on Hermione’s right, with Harry still firmly grasping Draco’s right arm. Draco, looking defiant, stood mutely next to Hermione. Hermione explained everything to Dumbledore, including her initial meeting with Draco in the corridor a week before.



When she was finished, Dumbledore remained silent, with his fingers steepled before him, regarding Draco. Finally, he turned to a portrait, “Phineas, please alert Severus, I believe he’s in the dungeon, that I need him to report to my office immediately.”



“Yes, sir,” the old wizard replied and departed from his painting.



Turning to Everard’s portrait, Dumbledore requested, “And, Minerva as well. She should be in her office.” Without replying, Everard immediately left his portrait.



“Now, if you would please wait outside” Dumbledore indicated to Harry, Ron and Hermione, “I would like to speak to Mr. Malfoy alone. And, I no longer think these restraints are required.” Hermione watched as Draco flexed his arms when the unseen ropes that had bound him, fell away.



Harry, Ron and Hermione quietly strode to the door and departed the Headmaster’s office.



Once outside, Harry burst out, “Can you believe this? Malfoy will be in Azkaban before the night is over.”



“Good place for the prat,” Ron snarled.



Hermione was silent. Her brain was reeling from all that had occurred. She knew Malfoy had never made his feelings for Muggles and half-bloods a secret, but to go so far as to become a Death Eater? Hermione couldn’t shake her disbelief.



There was also the factor of how she had reacted to Draco when she had touched him. Draco’s hair was so soft and his lips…

Hermione’s thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of Professors Snape and McGonagall. They rushed past the three into Dumbledore’s office with Snape shutting the door tightly.



Eventually, Professor Snape emerged with Draco, who refused to meet any of their gazes. Professor McGonagall appeared at the doorway and gestured Harry, Ron and Hermione in.



They stopped before the Headmaster’s desk staring inquisitively at Dumbledore. “I will not repeat word for word what Mr. Malfoy has recounted to me, but it is sufficed to say that there are extenuating circumstances behind Mr. Malfoy’s actions.”



Harry spoke. “By that, do you mean that Malfoy was working upon Voldemort’s orders?”



Dumbledore regarded Harry keenly. “Draco was coerced to complete a task that was set for him. A mission that Draco had no choice but to follow considering what was at stake.



“I will divulge only that Draco was ordered to clear the debris that had blocked the secret tunnel you were all in this evening. I will not go into any further detail.”



“You mean you think he’s telling the truth, Professor?” Harry asked disbelievingly.



“I do, Harry,” Dumbledore replied simply. “Draco is currently being escorted to Madam Pomfrey’s. I expect you all to take turns sitting with Mr. Malfoy while he rests in the hospital wing.”



Dumbledore looked at Hermione. “Miss Granger, you will take the first shift. Someone will relieve you in the morning. None of you will speak to anyone concerning the events of tonight. Mr. Weasley, you may return to your Prefect duties. Harry, I expect you to head straight back to your dormitory. Professor McGonagall will escort you there.”



Harry, Ron and Hermione were ushered to the door by Professor McGonagall. None of them had the opportunity to discuss the situation, so each went to their designated areas.



Hermione arrived in short order at the hospital wing in time to witness Madam Pomfrey walking back to her rooms in her nightgown. As she approached Draco’s bedside, she observed how pale he looked.



Pulling up a chair, Hermione sat down close to the bed. Sitting on the edge of her seat, she watched Draco as he slept. What had Voldemort done to make Draco acquiesce to him so completely? Hermione shuddered at the possibilities as they flooded her mind.



Humbled, Hermione sat back in her chair. How could she even think of feeling sorry for Draco? He had never gone easy on her all these years. Still, Hermione found it hard to hold a grudge when she considered the circumstance Draco had been put in by the dark wizard. Voldemort was capable of anything to make certain he got what he wanted.



As she drifted off into a restless sleep, Hermione’s thoughts concerned the blonde haired Slytherin who lay near her.



“Granger, hey Granger.” Hermione jolted awake at the rough voice. Stretching, she bolted up when she realized where she was. Turning her head to the left, Hermione saw Draco staring at her with a strange expression on his face.



“Have a nice sleep?” Draco drawled.



Hermione stifled a yawn before she answered, “Not bad, considering.” She glanced at the clock above the bed; it was five in the morning.



“What do you want?” she asked Draco.



A smile curved Draco’s lips upward. “What are you offering?”



Hermione regarded Draco scathingly, “A rap upside the back of your head.”



“Now, now, that’s not very civil of you, Granger, seeing as how we’re going to be keeping each other company for a while,” Draco drawled his eyes traveling her body.



This was quite a change from the Draco of the night before. Hermione’s heart began pounding uncontrollably at the thought of being in such close quarters with Draco for any extended period of time. “Don’t get used to it,” she quipped.



Smiling wider, Draco sweetly responded, “Oh, I think I’m gong to get very used to being in your company.”



Hermione closed her eyes, since she was not able to trust her voice. Merlin, how was she going to concentrate with him around, talking to her like that? This was Malfoy after all Hermione reminded herself.



Her resolve strengthened after recalling the mark burnt into Draco’s left forearm. “I don’t think I will because as far as I’m concerned, Draco, you’re vapor.”



Hermione watched as the smile receded from Draco’s face and was replaced by an entirely different look; one of hurt and pain.