Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Unintended Desire of the Heart by laceymoibella

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes:
First, the title of this chapter was inspired by the current single, "Another Side Of You" by country singer, Joe Nichols.

Second, I want to thank my fantastic Twin, the lovely Red and Gold, for stepping in at last minute to beta this chapter for me. You rock!

And lastly, I want to thank all of you, my readers, for being so patient with me while waiting for this latest installment.


Hermione had warred internally with herself throughout the following week. She knew that the harsh words she had spoken to Draco had touched a chord within him. Draco’s expression had confirmed that. “It’s not like he’s acted innocent all his life,” Hermione argued softly to herself.











Hermione looked into the mirror as she washed her hands vigorously. “Hell, look at how he’s treated me over the years,” she stated to her reflection.











Hermione dried her hands and departed the loo. It was Friday night and Hermione was walking the corridors as part of her Prefect duties. She was brought up short by a thought that persisted in wriggling into her brain time and again. What had Voldemort promised would happen if Draco refused to cooperate?











Hermione was well aware of the atrocities the dark wizard had committed. Hermione shuddered every time she considered the torture Voldemort could inflict on others. It’s all about control. Nobody deserved to be forced to go against their beliefs.











Hermione continued with her rounds. How do you know Draco was not a willing participant in all of this? He has not exactly demonstrated love and friendship toward anyone, other than himself Hermione chided herself.











But Dumbledore believed Draco, another part of her brain argued. If Dumbledore didn’t think Draco was acting of his own free will, he would not have agreed to protect him. That internal viewpoint seemed to quell Hermione’s uncertainties for the time being.











Hermione was on the fourth floor, passing the mirror that hid the entrance to the secret passage, when an idea came to her. What if I offered to help Draco? Clearing the tunnel is quite a feat for one person to accomplish.











Then it dawned on her. Voldemort didn’t think Draco would finish the Herculean task. That’s why he assigned it to him. Voldemort doesn’t want Draco to succeed; he wants to punish him.











As the horror of her realization hit her, Hermione ground to a halt in the middle of the hallway. She felt sick as comprehension of what Draco was facing washed over her. How could I not have understood that before now?











The answer was simple, and one Hermione was not proud of. She had allowed her prejudices to cloud her judgment. Hermione had judged Draco according to his parentage and those he kept company with, not who he was as a person. But could she truly say she knew him? Hermione had never conversed with Draco unless hurling insults at one another could be considered conserving.











The answer was ‘no’, Hermione honestly didn’t know Draco. She knew of his actions and appearances, but what if it had all been an act to ensure his own safety? Hermione had experienced slander and hate several times since she had arrived at Hogwarts six years ago.



Hermione admonished herself. I should have known better than to accuse before having all the facts. She was a fact person, after all.











Hermione felt humbled. She had always worked hard so people would notice her for her intelligence rather than her bloodline. She had let pride get in the way of common sense. I need to rectify this.











With her newfound resolve, Hermione resumed her pace, determined to set things straight.











******







“Are you mental?” Ron asked incredulously. Because it was Saturday morning, they were alone in the Gryffindor common room. Everyone else was either asleep or having breakfast.











Hermione had just told Ron and Harry about going to Dumbledore the night before and the conversation she had with him. Hermione glared at Ron. “Think about it Ron. There is no way Malfoy can finish that by himself.”











“Yeah, well, he got himself into that mess, he can get out of it on his own,” Ron declared.











Hermione was taken aback. “How can you say that, Ron? You’re acting no better than Malfoy.”











“Why are you defending Malfoy?” Ron challenged. “What made you suddenly have a change of heart about him? Look at how he’s treated us, especially you, all these years. And, now you’re acting as if he deserves help.”











Hermione chose to ignore his questions and turned to Harry. “I hoped to have your support with this, Harry.”











“I don’t like it,” Ron interjected moodily. “Malfoy’s not a house elf, Hermione.”











“I’m well aware of that, Ron,” Hermione shot back. “Nobody says you have to like it. I simply would like your support with this.”











She looked pleadingly at Harry. She described how she needed them to keep an eye out so she and Draco could safely enter and exit the secret passage without being seen.











“I need you to keep the map with you, along with your Galleon that I placed the Protean Charm on. When we’re through for the night, I will use my fake Galleon and mark ‘done’ on it. You check the map to be sure no one is lurking about in the area. When you confirm it, let me know by changing your coin to ‘clear.’ Then Malfoy and I can depart the tunnel safely. No one can know about this,” Hermione finished.











Ron sat with his arms crossed and a petulant look on his face. “I just don’t get it. Why would Dumbledore agree that you should help Malfoy? Why in bloody hell would you offer?”











“Well, Ron,” Hermione said annoyed, “I would expect that Dumbledore comprehended the consequences Malfoy would face if he didn’t finish opening up the tunnel. Dumbledore implied that it was under dire circumstances that Malfoy accepted the job.











“If Dumbledore thought Malfoy wasn’t being honest with him, do you think he would have allowed me to work with him?” Hermione concluded.











Hermione rounded on Harry. “You, of all people, know what Voldemort is capable of, Harry. Do you honestly think Malfoy merits being tortured or worse yet, killed, simply because he has acted like a git ever since we’ve known him? None of us have ever actually had a decent conversation with Malfoy; how do we know that his actions were sincere and he was not just acting because of who his father is?”











Harry, who had quietly studied Ron and Hermione, spoke, “Hermione, I’m not sure about this. I mean, it is Malfoy after all. I don’t think it’s wise for you to be working alone with Malfoy. How do we know that he isn’t doing this willingly for Voldemort?”











Hermione countered, “Well, we don’t know for certain, do we? But, I think it’s about time we gave him a chance. And, Dumbledore believes him and I trust his judgment.”











Harry looked from Ron to Hermione before he responded. “What if we were to join you?”











“I don’t think that would be a good idea,” Hermione said. “There’s too much hatred between the two of you and Malfoy. No work would get done because you would be at each other’s throats.”











“What I wouldn’t give to knock the prat on his arse,” Ron grumbled.











Hermione ignored Ron and looked inquisitively at Harry. She had made up her mind that she was going to help Draco, even if Harry and Ron refused to work with her.











Harry obviously knew Hermione was not going to back down on the subject. “Fine, we’ll help you Hermione, but I’m still not convinced it’s a good idea.”











Hermione breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank you, Harry.” She swiveled to view Ron, who refused to acknowledge Harry’s acceptance of the situation. “Thank you, Ron,” she said.











Now, there was only one other person she had to tell and Hermione knew that Draco would not willingly accept her help. Hermione was steadfast in her decision and Draco was not going to convince her otherwise.















Draco had not shaken his feeling of trepidation that had overcome him since his release from the Hospital Wing on the previous Sunday morning. Even though Dumbledore had assured him he had the protection of the Order, Draco was quite concerned about the dark wizard discovering where his true allegiance lie.











Draco was worried that one misstep would cost him not only his life, but that of his mother’s. Narcissa was a decent mother considering the restraints that had been placed upon her life. She always looked out for Draco and had stood fast in her resolve to keep him close instead of sending him off to the far distant Durmstrang. Draco believed he owed it to her to succeed with his mission.











Dumbledore had ordered Professor Snape to work with Draco on Occlumency. Draco was to practice as often as he could; it was essential in keeping the Dark Lord ignorant of the change in events that had occurred.











Last of all, Draco had been instructed to proceed with clearing the tunnel. Dumbledore had told him that it would be completed by the date Lord Voldemort had set.











“Draco,” Dumbledore began after Draco had told him everything, “it is of the utmost importance that you continue to remove the debris in the passage as planned. It would not bode well if Voldemort found out what has taken place tonight.”











Draco had merely nodded his affirmation of understanding. Even though it had been forced on him, Draco had felt immense relief wash through him after talking to Dumbledore that night. At last, there was an adult in which he had been able to confide in about his dilemma.











Draco had not felt as alone after coming clean about his situation. He had been filled with a sense of hope, which was a new feeling. Draco had been resigned to the fact that he would follow in his family’s wake. Considering generations of his family on both his mother’s and his father’s side, had been dedicated to helping the Dark Lord achieve control over the Wizarding world, no one had ever given Draco any other options in his life.











Not that Lucius or Narcissa’s input would have made a difference. Lord Voldemort always got what he wanted and if anyone got in his way, they would pay the price with their life. That was the fear Voldemort had been certain to instill in all of his followers and those who weren’t.











Unbeknownst to either Narcissa or Lucius, Draco had overheard some of their conversations on occasion when he was home. He knew his parents feared that the Dark Lord would turn his wrath upon Draco for what the he deemed mistakes by either of them.











Narcissa had held out hope far longer than Lucius that Draco would escape the clutches of Lord Voldemort. Even after the evil wizard’s return at the end of Draco’s fourth year at Hogwarts.











That hope soon shattered after the escapade at the Ministry of Magic in which the Prophecy was lost and Lucius was sent to Azkaban at the end of Draco’s fifth year.











Narcissa, Draco knew, had waited with bated breath as to the dark wizard’s next action involving the Malfoy’s. She knew without a doubt that he was furious with Lucius for losing the Prophecy. Narcissa assumed it was a matter of time before he sought out Draco and sent him forth on a mission.











His mother had tried to prepare him for whatever the Dark Lord wanted Draco to do, but neither had anticipated the task that had been chosen for him. Draco had observed the horror etched on Narcissa’s face that fateful day in February when Bellatrix held his left arm to be branded by the Dark Lord.











Now, Draco was going to go against what he had been groomed for his entire life. Dumbledore had offered Draco the opportunity to follow his own beliefs”that muggle borns, half bloods and pure bloods could live together cohesively. There did not have to be separate sides.











Draco had discovered that night that it was not going to be easy to change how others viewed him or that he would be accepted graciously. After all, Draco had bashed muggles for too many years, so why would anyone believe he thought any differently? He had not led them to think otherwise.











Most people knew what his father was, a Death Eater, and so they judged Draco according to Lucius and his actions in the Wizarding community. Hermione’s comment had cut Draco deeply. ‘As far as I’m concerned, Draco, you’re vapor.’











Try as he might, Draco hadn’t been able to keep his mind on his classes all week. He kept replaying the past weekend’s events in his mind. Hermione filled his thoughts as much as the task that needed completion for the Dark Lord.











By the time Draco reached the Great Hall for dinner Saturday night, he was exhausted. He ate quickly and pretended to listen to the conversation at his table. He did not want to be in anybody’s company. Before finishing his meal, Draco decided that he would resume his work in the blocked passageway that night.











It was almost nine o’ clock when Draco surreptitiously made his way to the fourth floor corridor. He continued to the end of the hall to be certain no one was lurking around. Once he was satisfied, Draco stepped up to the mirror and whispered, “Dissendium!” The mirror swung forward and he ducked quickly inside.











“Lumos!” Draco recited, and his wand tip glowed with light. Draco made his way along the passage and was about to turn the corner when he realized he was not alone in the tunnel. He could hear someone murmuring, so he extinguished his wand with a quiet, “Nox!”











Warily, Draco rounded the corner and was brought up short by the sight before his eyes. Hermione was working on removing the pile of rubble. Draco swore under his breath.











“What the hell are you doing here?” Draco demanded out loud.











He watched as Hermione turned toward him. She had taken off her robes, rolled up her sleeves and loosened the tie at her throat. Hermione had placed two glass jars filled with blue flames on either side of the tunnel so she could see to work.











Draco not only felt animosity at that moment toward Hermione but an intense longing as he drank in the sight of Hermione before him. Draco recalled how he had reacted to Hermione’s touch in the tunnel that night when she had helped him to stand.











Hermione had not been accusatory about Draco’s ties to the dark side. She had not belittled him; instead, Draco thought she had seemed disappointed. Her expression while she had steadied him appeared to be one of compassion and caring”something Draco had never encountered from anyone.











Although fleeting, Draco thought he had seen desire in her eyes as well as they had stood there, Hermione, with one hand holding his, the other on his back supporting him. Draco had experienced an inexplicable longing to capture Hermione’s mouth with his.











Now, the familiar condescending smirk etched Draco’s face as he advanced towards Hermione. “You didn’t answer my question,” Draco seethed as he came to a stop in front of her, “Why is it that you always seem to be in the same vicinity as I am, Granger?” As well as constantly in my thoughts, lately? Draco questioned silently.











Draco noticed the spark of indignation creep across Hermione’s face. “Well, Malfoy,” Hermione retorted, “you had better get used to my being around you.”











Confusion settled onto Draco’s face. “What are you babbling about, Granger? Last I knew you wanted to be as far from me as possible.”











Draco stared at Hermione. “What are you up to?” he breathed hotly.











Hermione stood her ground under his hard glare. “There is nothing sneaky going on, Draco,” Hermione felt her face flush, “I figured that you could use some assistance clearing that rubble away,” Draco watched as Hermione inclined her head in the direction of the debris.











He viewed Hermione with suspicion. “Since when do you care about me needing help with anything?” Draco sneered and he stepped so close to Hermione that their faces were millimeters apart.











Hermione stood fast; her gaze never wavered from Draco’s. “Rest assured, I don’t,” she replied.











Draco raised his eyebrows. “Really? Then why are you here?” he pressured.











“I’m here,” Hermione said slowly, “because I care about what happens to Harry and all the students that currently reside at Hogwarts. And, if it means working with you to ensure their safety, then I will.”











Neither of them spoke for a minute, and then Draco drawled, “Well, I am a student here, and since you claim that you care about everyone who attends, I would have to think that you mean me, too, Granger.”











Draco felt Hermione jump as he slid his fingers down her left cheek. “Is that it, Hermione? You used this as an excuse to be close to me?” he whispered.











Draco continued to caress the side of Hermione’s face as he looked down at her. She didn’t shrink away from his touch. The girl, who had stolen into his thoughts countless times over the past few weeks, was right here before him. He didn’t understand why she was willing to lend a hand when he needed it most.











Draco had always known Hermione was different from the other girls he had encountered. She wasn’t afraid to showcase her intelligence, much to the chagrin of her classmates. Draco had always admired Hermione’s courage in that manner though he never dreamed of letting anyone know that; especially not Hermione, whom he had been taught to detest all of his life.











Now, she is here, telling me she is willing to assist me with a task the Dark Lord has forced onto me. Draco felt conflicted. He had strong feelings for Hermione that he figured he shouldn’t have. But doesn’t the way my heart feels, count for anything?











Then, as if ice cold water were thrown upon him, reality crashed down upon Draco as his thoughts hit home. Dear, Merlin! This cannot happen! He pulled away from Hermione and shook his head. He looked at Hermione who appeared startled by his abrupt departure.











Draco ran a hand through his hair and forced himself to dig deep within before he replied, “You can’t be here, so take you busy little nose and let yourself out.”











He watched as Hermione straightened her stance and replied, “I can’t do that. Dumbledore has agreed that you could use some assistance, and here I am,” she revealed.











“What in the hell are you talking about?” Draco asked astonished.











“I talked with Dumbledore and he thought it wise that I help with this,” Hermione waved her hand at the blocked passage.











“Why in Merlin’s name would he have permitted you to work in here with me? That doesn’t make any sense.” Draco stared at Hermione. He felt stunned and sick. “I am not going to be made responsible for you,” he told her.











“You don’t have to be,” Hermione shot back, “I can take care of myself.”











Hermione looked at Draco and took a deep breath. “Dumbledore and I conversed about the necessity of opening up this tunnel. He agreed that you could get it done quicker if someone were to aid you. So, I am here to help you.”











Draco stared at Hermione. Was Dumbledore insane? He knows what the Dark Lord is like. Draco grabbed Hermione’s arm. “Like bloody hell you are! Come on, we’re paying Dumbledore a visit.”











Hermione quickly stooped to grab her robes as Draco pulled her along. “Lumos!” Draco cried and they made their way quickly to the entrance.











“Dissendium!” Draco snarled and the mirror swung forward.











Hermione scrambled after Draco as they exited the tunnel and hurried to catch up to him. Upon reaching Draco, he snapped at her, “Don’t tell me Potter and Weasley are assigned to helping me, too? That simply isn’t going to happen.”







“For your information,” Hermione said breathlessly, “I turned down Ron and Harry’s offer to accompany us while we work.”











Draco looked sideways at Hermione, “Damn good thing because I couldn’t handle being in their company, one on one, for any length of time.”











Hermione didn’t respond so they walked silently the rest of the way until they reached the stone gargoyle that sat at the entrance to Dumbledore’s office.











“Sugar quills,” Hermione said and the sentry moved aside to allow them to pass.











Draco was quiet as they ascended the marble staircase. Hermione rapped quickly on the closed door when they reached it. “Come in,” called a muffled voice.











Draco seized the door and Hermione preceded him into the room. Dumbledore was sitting behind his desk. “Ah, Miss Granger, Mr. Malfoy. I am beginning to think you enjoy the company of an old man such as myself since you have been here numerous times as of late,” a smile crinkled the corners of Dumbledore’s mouth.











“Please, have a seat,” Dumbledore gestured and two chairs appeared before his desk. Tell me, are you here for my company or are there more pressing matters at hand?” Dumbledore queried with a twinkle in his eyes.











Hermione and Draco sat down. Draco was aware that Hermione was looking at him but he ignored her. “Professor,” Draco began, “Gr-Hermione, just informed me that she approached you about wanting to help with getting the tunnel cleared and that you have permitted her to do so.”











“Miss Granger is quite right, Mr. Malfoy,” Dumbledore acquiesced.











“Forgive me, Professor, but I am not in agreement with Hermione aiding me,” Draco challenged.











Dumbledore viewed both students quietly before he stated, “Allow me the liberty of providing you with some details, Mr. Malfoy.” Dumbledore sat back in his chair and focused his attention on Draco.











“Miss Granger came to me earlier and graciously suggested she aid you in the task that you have been fervently working on.” He put up a hand to stop Draco from interrupting when he attempted to speak.











“Please, let me finish, Mr. Malfoy.” Dumbledore continued, “Miss Granger impressed upon me the importance of her lending you a hand in order to finish the job by the date set for you. Her argument was quite persuasive, I might add,” Dumbledore smiled at Hermione, whom Draco noticed, blushed quite furiously.











“As Miss Granger pointed out to me, with her help, the passage would be finished sooner, thereby allowing us more time to implement plans and prepare ourselves for the impending doom that Voldemort seems quite intent on delivering to Hogwarts and society in general.











“By working together, we can diminish the actions Voldemort believes he must impose on us,” Dumbledore finished. He observed Draco intently.











Draco could not determine why Hermione would be willing to help him. Was she sincere about her actions? What was in it for her?











“I fully believe Miss Granger’s motives in assisting you, Mr. Malfoy, to be completely genuine. And, in due time, you will discover the precise nature for her reasons behind helping you,” Dumbledore looked from Draco to Hermione.











Draco’s mind swirled. Why would Hermione willingly propose to help me in anything; much less with a mission set for me by the Dark Lord? I still do not understand Dumbledore’s decision to allow her to help. Draco took a deep breath and expelled it.











Draco thought for a moment and then, “I don’t think this is a good idea, Professor. I don’t need to be responsible for another person.”











“And,” Draco glanced at Hermione before he continued, “I am not convinced that Hermione and I can get past our differences.”











Draco observed Dumbledore as the Head Master sat back in his chair, placed his hands together as if in prayer and appeared to gather his thoughts. Draco waited impatiently for Dumbledore to reply.











“I believe that Miss Granger can handle herself quite well, Mr. Malfoy. I believe that it is in everyone’s best interest if you completed your assignment before the time allotted.











“Furthermore, I believe the opportunity has presented itself in which two students, from two entirely different backgrounds, can put their dissensions aside for the greater good of the Wizarding community,” Dumbledore replied.











Dumbledore leaned forward. “I understand your reservations concerning the matter, Mr. Malfoy, but I think that you will discover that this situation will have gratifying results because you and Miss Granger will be working together.”











Stymied, Draco remained silent. He felt that no matter what argument he posed, Dumbledore was not going to relent and remove Hermione from his task.











When neither Draco nor Hermione moved to say anything else, Dumbledore exclaimed with a resounding clap of his hands, “Well then, I think I have taken up enough of your time. I will bid you both good night and good luck,” and with that, Draco and Hermione were excused. They stood up and departed the Headmaster’s quarters.











It was a long ride down the stairwell for Draco. There were so many unanswered questions he wanted to ask Hermione but he didn’t know where to begin. He was not keen about the fact of Hermione being in on a job that had been the Dark Lord’s idea. As they reached the hallway once more, Hermione turned to face him.











“You don’t have to like this,” she began, “but the way I see it, you didn’t have any other options.”











Draco studied Hermione before replying. “You’re right, I don’t like it. And, you have left me no other choice but to let you work with me since you chose to go to Dumbledore with your crazy scheme before consulting me.”











Hermione snorted. “Like you would have gone along with my idea.”











“Precisely,” Draco ground out. “I never would have agreed. I would have made sure you didn’t run to Dumbledore with your insane plot to help me.”











“Well, there’s nothing you can do about it now, is there, Malfoy?” Hermione retorted.











Draco gave her a malevolent look. “Unfortunately not.”











Draco watched Hermione. “We’d better get this over with,” he spoke in a low voice. He walked determinedly in the direction of the fourth floor, Hermione hurrying to catch up. As they reached the mirror, Draco watched Hermione slip her hand into her robes pocket.











Hermione checked the coin in her hand, tapped it with her wand, waited a minute and then muttered, “The coast is clear,” and strode toward the mirror.











Draco followed and once he reached the mirror, out of habit, he glanced up and down the hall before stating, “Dissendium!”











The portal opened and the two scrambled inside. The mirror swung closed and Draco and Hermione were encased in darkness.











“Lumos!” they said together and the tips of their wands lit up. Draco and Hermione proceeded wordlessly down the tunnel. They turned the corner of the tunnel and halted as they viewed the blocked passage.











There was still much to be done and it was evident that it would not be completed right away. Draco pulled his robes off over his head and dropped them off to the side. Quietly he rolled up his shirt sleeves. “What?” he asked as he noticed for the first time that Hermione was staring at him.











“Nothing,” Hermione murmured and followed suit by dispelling her own robes.











Draco watched, mesmerized, as she did this. Hermione’s skirt had pulled up, exposing a little more of her leg than usual. Draco swallowed. His mouth suddenly felt dry.











“Let’s get to work,” he rasped out and focused his attention on the pile of rocks in front of him.











Hermione and Draco worked side by side for a while with the only words uttered were, “Evanesco!” as they worked to remove the debris.











Finally, Draco asked the question that had been nagging him. “Why?” he asked simply.











Hermione, who seemed startled by his question, faltered and said, “Excuse me? Why what?”











Draco lowered his wand and turned to face Hermione. “Why did you offer to help me? I don’t get it! The other night you told me you couldn’t stand to be around me so much that I didn’t exist to you. What changed your mind?”











Hermione appeared at a loss for words. How unusual, Draco thought. She looked directly into Draco’s grey eyes and stammered, “I-I,”











Draco arched his eyebrow. “What, no witty comeback, Granger?”











He noticed that her eyes flitted away desperately as she struggled to come up with an explanation. Draco was not going to let her off easy. “I can wait all night, Granger,” he leaned back against the wall and crossed his arms in front of himself.











Draco looked down at Hermione. She was an enigma to him. They had never been friends. They openly sparred with one another in front of others. So, why was Granger so eager to be here helping? The unanswered question burned within Draco.











Hermione faced Draco. “I have been friends with Harry long enough, and been through too many incidents in which Lord Voldemort was involved, that I am not blind to the lengths he will go to, to get the end results he desires.”











Draco remained as he was against the wall for several minutes. Then, he pushed himself away from it and approached her. Draco noticed that Hermione eyed him warily; her wand was clutched so tightly in her right hand, that her knuckles were white.











Draco peered questioningly at her. “If you know what he is capable of, why put yourself in harm’s way?” he asked.











“If I don’t make a stand, then I am allowing him to think he has power over others like me,” Hermione stated. “After all, that is what he wants; to suppress those of muggle descent and to control the Wizarding world.”











Draco, satisfied with Hermione’s answer, turned toward the pile and began the painstaking job of vanishing the debris. Out of the corner of his eye, Draco saw Hermione join him to his right and follow his lead.











Draco was not sure how long he and Hermione worked. It did not seem as though the pile of rubble had diminished much. He lifted his left hand to push his hair back from his face.











“How long have you had it?” he heard her ask.











Draco, startled by her voice, looked at her. “Had what?”











Hermione pointed to his left arm. “The Dark Mark? When did you get it?”











Draco turned the inside of his arm up and looked at it. Finally, he turned his gaze upon Hermione.











“Since February, when we had our last outing to Hogsmeade,” Draco admitted in a subdued voice.











“I had no idea what was going to occur that day. I mean, I knew that the Dark Lord anticipated I would one day follow in my father’s footsteps. Hell, I had been groomed for it all of my life, but I had hoped that somehow I would be spared this defamation,” Draco flicked his arm where the mark tarnished it.











He laughed hollowly before continuing, “Fat lot of good wishing did.”











Hermione replied. “If it weren’t for hope, you would have had nothing.”











“And, what do I have now?” Draco asked. “Everyone who sees this will make their own assumptions. They won’t waste any time in judging me for what they see here,” and he waved his left arm in the air.











“By having the protection of the Order, you have the chance to live your life the way you want. Not one that was chosen for you. And, if people base their decision about you on that,” Hermione motioned toward his arm, “more the fools are they.”











Draco simply stared at Hermione. She appeared nonplussed and hastily checked her watch.











“It’s pretty late. Why don’t we call it a night? We can resume this tomorrow night,” she suggested.











Draco nodded his head. “Fine with me.”











They donned their robes and Hermione picked up the glass jars and placed them in an inner pocket inside of her robes. They lit their wands and proceeded silently toward the exit.











Hermione paused briefly to pull out her Galleon and check it. Once she was satisfied, Hermione strode to the door and muttered, “Dissendium.”











Upon reaching the end of the corridor, Hermione and Draco went their separate ways to their respectful dorms.















Sunday morning found Hermione up early. She had not slept much. The previous night played continuously through her mind. Though she replayed the scene where Draco had caressed her face, their conversation upon returning to the passageway was more prominent in her brain.











When Draco had questioned her, Hermione had felt like a deer caught in the head lights of an oncoming car. She knew that Draco would eventually ask her what had motivated her to offer to aid him, but had not expected it that soon. Hermione knew she had to explain her actions to Draco. If she didn’t, it would continue to hang between them and possibly cause further resentment to build. After all, isn’t that why she went to Dumbledore in the first place? To end the contention between herself and Draco?











Although Hermione didn’t like to admit when she was wrong, she quietly conceded that Draco deserved an answer. She recalled the look on Draco’s face as she explained why she was there helping him. He had seemed to accept her reasoning. She was not ready to tell him that she had concluded how unfair she had been in judging him; like so many had judged her for having muggle parents.















Curiosity had gotten the better of her, and Hermione hadn’t hesitated in asking him about the Dark Mark. She could still plainly see his tortured expression as he told her about the mark on his arm. Hermione felt the same emotions rise within her again: pity, humility, and sadness.











Draco’s words had struck a chord within Hermione. She pitied Draco for not having the power to call the shots in his life. She felt immense shame for having been one of the people Draco had referred to in jumping to conclusions. Hermione experienced a profound sadness that Draco’s parents had not sought better opportunities for their only child in which to lead his life. Nor had the elder Malfoys shielded Draco from the atrocities Voldemort inflicted upon others.











Hermione dressed quietly so as not to wake the other girls in her dorm room. She made her way to the common room which was devoid of anyone since it was so early. The sun was barely peeking over the horizon when Hermione decided to take a walk on the grounds to see if it would calm her.











She made her way outside without running into anyone. Hermione walked around the Black Lake, coming to a stop within a small copse of trees that shielded her from view of the castle. Her thoughts ran rampant in her head.







Hermione’s heart picked up its pace at the mere thought of being in close proximity to Draco again. She thought of the conversation they had upon returning to the tunnel. It had been their first one in which they had not ripped into one another. That’s an accomplishment in itself Hermione decided.











Then, there was the fact that Hermione could not comprehend what overcame her every time she and Draco brushed against one another. A thrill, one that she had never experienced even with Viktor Krum, coursed through her when they touched. Thinking about Draco, even now, filled Hermione with an indescribable emotion.











Hermione stared out across the lake. Its surface was as smooth as glass. It belied what lay underneath. Much like my own heart Hermione thought derisively. The sun’s rays were a contrast to the slight chill that hung in the air. Hermione pulled her robes tighter around her.











Lost deep in thought, Hermione didn’t hear the person advancing on her until she felt a hand on her shoulder. She jumped and whirled to see who was next to her. Hermione regarded the boy who stood beside her with surprise. She noticed how tired he looked. I can only imagine the stress he has been under.











“What are you doing here, Malfoy?” Hermione inquired.







“I could ask the same of you,” Draco replied.











Hermione shivered under his penetrating stare. Turning her face slightly away from him, Hermione replied tiredly, “I needed some time by myself to think.”











“Tell me,” Draco insisted, “Am I part of those thoughts?”











Hermione gaped at him. “Oh, for Merlin’s sake! Do you think that everything pertains to you?”











Draco shrugged. “Most generally. I have a way on insinuating myself into the mind of others.”











Hermione huffed, “Just because we are working together doesn’t mean that you are what my entire thoughts consist of.”











Hermione stuck her chin up slightly and took on a defensive air. She stiffened as she heard Draco chuckle.











“You can’t fool me, Granger,” Draco challenged.











Hermione felt a blush creep into her face. “You really think that you’re all that, don’t you Malfoy? I always knew you were conceited but I didn’t realize just how much you were wrapped up in yourself.”











Hermione was surprised as Draco suddenly reached out and cupped her chin. His touch was gentle and Hermione felt her heart fluttering in her chest at the contact. She witnessed Draco’s eyes darken as he studied her.











Hermione barely heard Draco’s words as he dropped his hand away and stated, “We’ll meet at nine o’clock tonight by the mirror. That way we’ll be able to get in before the Hufflepuff Prefects get to that floor.”











Hermione, still thinking of his hand on her chin, responded, “Um, yes, that’s fine.”











She witnessed the strange look Draco gave her but he made no comment.











Gathering her wits, Hermione said, “I must be going. Breakfast must be well under way by now. Until later, then,” Hermione turned and hurried toward the castle not seeing the look Draco gave her departing back.