Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Through the Looking Glass by stareyed_in_LA

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The cottage was empty, save for a round, stone corral and a door that stood at the end of the corral. A large, white swan was chained to the door at the end. It was asleep; it’s long neck bent down, and its head in its breast. Cho held her breath at the sight of the swan. It was her favorite animal and also the form of her patronus. She marveled at the swan’s beauty as she walked a little closer to it. She reached her hand out to stroke its snow white feathers when the bird woke up and started to shriek loudly. It flew towards Cho and tried to bite at her, but the chain restrained it to the door. The swan continued to honk loudly and attempted to attack the intruder nonetheless. Cho backed against the door where she first came through, trying her best to keep a safe distance away from the marauding bird.

“How am I supposed to get across the room, unchain that swan from the door, then chain it to the other door, all without hurting either of us,” Cho asked herself.

Even though the bird was still trying to peck at her for getting into its territory, Cho just couldn’t bear to harm that beautiful creature. She had this connection with swans that existed ever since childhood. Swans were smart, beautiful, graceful, and ready to attack when threatened, the same traits that Cho could identify with.

“Of course, why didn’t I think of it,” she thought. Then she drew her wand out and pointed it at the swan. “Immobilous.”

Instantly, the swan froze in midair. Its wings were outstretched, its mouth open and ready to bite at its intruder. Cho got up and unchained the creature from its post but hesitated for a moment. She gazed sadly at the swan, wondering whether or not it was right to chain it to the other door. That poor creature didn’t need to be restrained like that. But then again, what would happen if someone was to open one of the doors? Something inside of her knew that the creature in this room would take the form of one’s patronus. What would happen if a person’s patronus was that of a lion or a wolf?

“I don’t want to be responsible for someone’s death, “Cho murmured to the frozen swan as she tied the chain around the loop of the entryway. Then she left the corral, her eyes never leaving the bird.
**************************

“Crap…it’s so… so co…cold… in… hee… eere,” Cho gasped through chattering teeth. Her arms instantly wrapped around her body, trying her best to conserve as much heat as she can. She regretted leaving her coat behind at her desk that was so far away now.

SLAM! Cho whipped her head around to see that the door had been shut behind her. The room was instantly pitch black for there was no light. In the few moments that there were light, she saw the small room with its steel walls and the ladder propped against one of the walls. It was so dark and freezing and confining, like being trapped inside of a meat locker. Suddenly, she felt like she wanted to break down in tears. She didn’t know why, she just wanted to cry. There was a feeling of hopelessness blanketing her like a funeral shroud. She didn’t know what to do. She just couldn’t think with all of the sadness lingering around her. Every single tragic moment that ever happened in her life was bombarding her now fragile mind. Cho got down and curled herself into a fetal position.

Somewhere, to the left of her, was rattling, like chains. She angled her head to the left, and she was next made her panic. It was a Dementor.

“Oh... Merlin,” she croaked.

The Dementor was cloaked in ragged black cloth and it towered over her. Its hands were grey, mottled and scabby, like something that had been dumped in water and left to fester.

It was gliding to where she was. It was as cold as it neared her. The cold was being absorbed inside of her. Her insides were turning into ice. Her frozen eyes were fixed on the Dementor as it reached for its hood.

Cho immediately reached for her wand and pulled it out. She pointed it at the Dementor as she lay on the floor.

“Please, think of something really happy. Your life depends on it,” the voice in her head shouted.

“But I can’t think of anything happy,” Cho thought. “I can hardly think of anything! Except… the Yule Ball, with Cedric.”

She shut her eyes and concentrated on that memory.

We were out in the garden. Music was pouring out from the Great Hall. I was in a beautiful Chinese dress and Cedric looked so handsome in his tuxedo. The night was so clear and starry out. Snow was everywhere. It was just so perfect. But what made it even more magical was what happened while we were out in the garden.

“Cho, I need to tell you something,” Cedric said. “I love you.
“I love you to,” I whispered in response.

And then we kissed. Merlin, that was so exciting to get your first kiss. It is like you have just been shocked five hundred volts of electricity that is now running wild inside of you. And with the man that you loved in such a beautiful setting. It is like a scene out of one of those romance movies that Tina and Marietta used to love so much.


“EXPECTO PATROMUN,” Cho roared. Courage was pumping through out her veins. Her eyes were bursting with fire. She jumped up and pointed her wand at the Dementor. A silver swan burst out of the wand tip and soared towards the Dementor. Then, as suddenly as the Dementor had appeared, it was gone, followed by a huge flash of silver light. The room grew warmer and the feelings of depression that Cho had harbored were gone. The light emitted from the swan patronus illuminated the ladder that led to an open hole in the ceiling. While there was still light out, Cho ran to the ladder and began to climb it up carefully into the hole.