Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Pain Doesn't Cost a Thing by Ron x Hermione

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This is the fourth chapter of this lovely tale. I hope you enjoy! I apologise profusely, but there won't be any updates until at least next Monday, as I'm going on vacation and won't have any computer access. *cringes* That just gives me a lot more lovely time to think up some crazy ideas, and let me tell you, they will be interesting. ;) I'm going to book it on this story as soon as I get home, though--- but of course, after DH comes out and I've read it from cover to cover. I wish you all the best with the ending of the HP series. I can't stay far away from the developing relationship of Brett and Emma, so I'll hurry. *loves* Thanks so much to my dedicated reviewers and readers--- I appreciate all the lovely feedback you give me, and it keeps me going on this story. *hugs*


Emma released a gasp of air as she walked down the halls of Hogwarts, realising that she had been holding her breath all the while she paced. It seemed as if Brett and Gregoria, the two that accompanied her, had just done the same.

When the trio had stepped out into the chilly morning air, near devastation had met their eyes: the weather. Cold gusts blew in their faces, making the breath that they had just received catch in their throats. It was slightly drizzling, but the dark and ominous sky foretold them that they would be receiving much more than a drizzle. Trees were nearly bending over from the wind, some limbs and their leaves being torn off on the spot, then being trapped and swirled around on the ground.

They were going to get wet.

Emma pulled her cloak closer to her chest, wrapping her shaking fingers tighter around the soft fabric and taking a quick glance at the other two champions before stepping out into the dank conditions. Did they really still have to do this? she thought as the freezing rain hit her face, making her freshly straightened and washed hair already start to curl on its ends. She wiped the cloak across her dampened face, but as soon as she did the same wetness returned in a matter of seconds. She licked her lips to taste the rain, it giving her a type of comfort as she walked over to the Forbidden Forest with the other two where they had been told to go at this time after their first classes. They would be explained full-heartedly of the rules before their classmates were to be brought down to the competition to observe their race.

A small, dilapidated hut sat far off to the side, its paint now worn and faded against the foundation, the door looking as if it had been broken down by something and never repaired. Windows were rusty and glass shattered into the cracked floor. It was as if something had destroyed it, but no one dared to go near the house to tidy up. It just stayed there, every once in a while a ghost story or two coming from students in their older years attempting to scare the tiny ones. A rather large grave that a beast eternally rested in, most likely just bones now, sat off to the side of the house, its marker made out of withered limbs and scrawled handwriting on a stone. It too was worn. ‘Aragog’ was the name that was placed upon it.

No occupant had rested inside the home for an extensive period of time; Emma recalled something about the original occupant, someone known as the gamekeeper, had once lived there, keeping an eye on the creatures that lived in the forest. He had always had a particular care and like for dangerous things. Emma didn’t know what had happened to him, but she figured that it had something to do with the final battle that had gone on across Hogwarts’ grounds all those years ago. Emma only wished, as they headed to the forest, that he could aid her in the task if they were actually going to have to go in there.

“Welcome, champions,” Professor Groban said gravely as the three arrived at their destination, their brisk steps indicating that they just wanted to get this mission over with. Having to do something hazardous that hadn’t been fully identified to them yet was awful enough, but to have their classmates and friends (and even their enemies) watching them so they could be made fun of was going to be the cherry on top. There was no telling what their foes had already said; especially what Seth had whispered about Emma to the other Slytherins. He, Seth, had even caught a glimpse of the two, Brett and Emma, walking down the hall, hand in hand. Seth had gotten a look of pure fury and nearly walked over to the couple to have a few choice words with Brett, but he stood his ground and just stared on while the smile he had once had formed now into a dismal line on his lips. A plan of payback had already been forming inside his dark mind.

Emma broke her train of thought as she become conscious that they were at their desired destination. The three headmasters, along with several members of the Ministry stood gravely, some with wands clasped in their hands, others with their fingers over their mouth in a worried stance for the three, exchanging apprehensive glances.

“ . . . I must warn you, this task is exceptionally dangerous . . .” Professor Groban said, Emma only catching every few words because of her uneasiness. She was now starting to regret ever entering. How could she have been so stupid? One to enter, another to actually think she could win? She couldn’t understand half of what it was he was saying. She was intelligent, but now she couldn’t even think straight. She was having trouble understanding even the most basic things. But her ears suddenly perked up at the sound of the task.

“An Ashwinder is a creature similar to a snake. There will be one set free each time a new champion enters the forest.”

Emma’s eyes widened. Ashwinders? They had just studied the creature in one of her classes! She had aced the test, the homework, and that very class day, finding them exceptionally interesting and studying everything she knew about them. How ironic was it that something she had just wanted to learn about for her own benefit turned out be something she would actually need in the contest, now? She breathed in another sigh of relief at that moment. She looked over at Gregoria who, looking exceptionally worried, kept exchanging glances between Groban and her own plastic headmaster. The woman had on the same mink coat, but this time it actually accentuated the weather.

“The Ashwinder lays two to three eggs at a time; if they are not frozen within the next few precious minutes, everything around them can catch fire. Now, do not mistake this creature with common harmless snakes hidden in the brush, though do not overlook them, as they can easily blend in with the land. Their eggs are highly flammable; everything within them captures and ensnares heat, causing forest fires. You have to freeze the actual eggs, I cannot stress that enough. Your task will take place inside of the Forbidden Forest. Your mission is to save the forest before everything within it catches fire. It is very difficult to see inside the wooded area, anyhow; if you have smoke and flames to accompany you, that makes it that much more of a hardship. If you find yourself trapped, then you must send up blue sparks with your wand and I or the other Ministry members can cease the flames, allowing you access out, but you will receive no points. Do your very best, as you are representing yourself and your school.

“I know that you may believe that the weather may allow you easy access to water, but let me tell you, this is not the case. The rain will cease within the next few minutes--- I don’t believe that our lovely sun will visit us, but I predict that the clouds will remain in their dank places until the tournament ends. You are allowed only a wand.” Professor Groban gave Emma and the other champions a hasty smile, and he too clasped his hands together. Just as soon as a non-emotional line on his lips replaced the smile, Emma looked into the clouds and realised that the rain had indeed halted. No sun was trying to slip through the heavy fog, but without the rain Emma’s teeth that had been so quickly chattering stopped and she gave the Headmaster a grin back.

“Are there any questions?” the Minister asked, his name not yet heard to any of the champions. His feet were rather small, and it looked as if he had tried to wear comforting shoes that the Muggles wore out and about called something that Emma couldn’t remember at the moment. He wore dark robes that too went along with the weather conditions. His wide-brimmed top hat seemed out of place amongst the crowd, but Emma just figured he was old fashioned.

“Yes,” Gregoria said in a small voice, so unlike the one Emma had heard when she had first been chosen. The excitement of being the special contestant for Beauxbatons had obviously worn off on their walk down here. “How will we determine who goes first?”

Emma wondered as to why Gregoria had no French accent; she could very clearly understand the girl, whilst when she heard any other Beauxbatons student speak she had to mull over what they could have possibly have said in her brain for a moment, catching shady looks from the other French students at how unintelligent she had to be for not understanding. Perhaps Gregoria was an exchange student, just like Brett, and had moved to Beauxbatons against her own will but to follow her parents’ jobs.

“Ah,” he said lightly, his eye shining with excitement. He pulled out his wand, it too exceptionally small, along with a brown canvas bag. He glanced at the other adults.

“Reach your hand inside, please,” he told the three, indicating to Gregoria first, her eyes appearing weary as she slowly put in a shaky hand.

Something slivered between her fingers, and she pulled back from the bag.

The Minister laughed a high pitch laugh. “Do not worry, my dear,” he said, “It is only a replica of the actual thing, and it only slithers for a few moments after you pull it out. Cute charm work by my secretary.”

Emma wondered what on earth it could actually be and tensed her own fingers, hoping that she wouldn’t show fear for whatever it was that was inside the bag. If she was fearful of a paper bag, then she would die of fright from just entering the forest.

Gregoria worriedly (and hurriedly) reached in her timid fingers and pulled out what appeared to be a small snake, like an earth worm, only it glided in and out between her fingers before falling to the ground and crumpling, an extremely miniscule egg on the ground appearing a few seconds afterward. The Minister picked it up.

“Ah, you’re second, dear,” he told her, his eyes lighting up as he cracked open the small egg. A number had floated into the air and popped, sending a cloud of dust in every direction. The Beauxbatons Headmaster had sneezed loudly.

“You next.” He pushed the bag toward Emma, who, reaching in fearful fingers as well, pulled out a particularly orange-coloured snake that did the same as Gregoria’s; it slithered between her fingers before falling onto the dirt ground. The man picked up her egg and as fear clutched at her heart of not being the first, her wish did not come true.

“Number one! Congratulations, dear, you get to be the very first one to show us your skills in the competition!” he said gladly, patting her on the back. He allowed Brett to reach in after as he and Emma exchanged worried glances, pulling out a snake that eventually showed everyone the number three, as expected.

They turned around and saw, at a distance, the entire school coming excitedly down to the forest. Groban immediately cast an unheard spell, causing a large amount of bleachers and stadium chairs to come to rest on the ground, and the seats were immediately filled with the exhilarated, chatting children.

The three Headmasters again pulled their students off to the side, giving them their last words of advice before the contest was to be held. Emma saw many signs of Hogwarts’ students that bore her name, and it made her adrenaline rush and her heart soar that they were fond enough of her to do that. Though, they could just be representing their school. She glimpsed Seth sporting a Beauxbatons poster, waving it in the air as if to taunt her, as were his friends, checking out the pretty girl that had her back turned to the audience. Emma felt disgusted.

“Now, Miss Collins, did you hear every word I said about the Ashwinder?”

“Yes, sir, I think so. I already know a bit about them from the books we covered in class, so---”

“Good, very good, so you know what to do?”

Emma nodded, indicating she understood.

“Are you very sure?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good. I recommend that, in your beginning journey inside the forest, you take to the right side of the woods. That’s where all the creatures go at this time of day to feed. Though, be careful.” He winked again.

Emma stared open-mouthed at him as he walked away. She couldn’t believe this! Her Headmaster had virtually just given her the answer to the task! But then she realised that she could get it done much, must faster now that she knew where to find them.

“Now, there are more hardships than one inside this forest. You must hurry and find the eggs of the Ashwinder before the forest erupts into flames, yes, but you must also be on the lookout for other creatures as well. Some may be friendly, others will very well not be.”

Emma suddenly remembered a lesson in her first year on how there could be Werewolves, Centaurs, Acromantulas, Thestrals . . . any kind of beast, really, in the forest. No one knew what had become extinct and what still thrived because not a soul dared to venture inside any longer. The deceased gamekeeper had been the only one to undertake that task.

“At the sound of the whistle, I would like Miss Collins to venture into the forest,” the Minister’s words rang out across the ears of everyone there, causing nearly each person in the Hogwarts’ area (and especially the Ravenclaws) to stand up and cheer and stomp, reciting Emma’s name in a recurring, sing-song voice what seemed like a thousand times inside the girl’s brain. She couldn’t help but smile heartedly.

But the sound of a piercing whistle hit her ears and jolted her back to reality. She had a time limit, and she couldn’t disappoint her fans and school, most importantly herself. She took her first step into the forest, her heart pounding in her ears now louder than the cheers.

As soon as she took that earliest stride, she no longer heard the voices of her peers, but the sound of crickets suddenly burst forth, filling the air. They were the only things she heard but the deafening silence. Trees encompassed her every being, their limbs reaching out to scratch at her bare legs where her robes were too short to cover, along with her face and exposed arms. She could only hear that, the sound of the bugs and her clomping footsteps as she headed to the side of the forest that the Headmaster had told her to go near, her eyes fearfully scanning every corner of the wood before taking each step, in terror of what ghastly monster could be stealthily inspecting her at that very moment.

Her wand was pointed at her side, it clutched tightly between her fingers as she breathed in and out, in and out. She now had to tell herself to breathe; how amusing it was that you could do it involuntarily when you were doing something you enjoyed, but when the lights turned out you had to actually inform yourself to do it.

Emma turned a corner, trying with difficulty but not yet succeeding to find a small path to lead her on her way. She was at a brisk pace; she knew that she was being timed and that meant she had to hasten. Her thoughts were crushing her mind; every fearful thing she had ever thought of seemed to be coming to her conscious, causing her heart to jump at even her own footsteps. She was aware they were her own, but to be unaccompanied in a place such as this one finds themselves weary and terrified. There was no word coming to her intellect at how scared she was at that moment; the worst she had ever been in her life, definitely. But she thought of the people that were counting on her win to represent Hogwarts for ages and ages to come and how they were cheering her on. The other contestants that waited their turn, most likely pacing back and forth in fear of what too was to come for them as well wanted that win, and even if they weren’t enemies, they all wanted the triumph and weren’t going to stop at a little thing called fear. But then, she glimpsed the immense footprint hidden in the brush.


She stopped immediately, telling herself that that very print had most likely been there for hundreds of years--- a fossil, it was called, and it was imprinted into the ground from some enormous creature that lived long ago. Or, her mind could just be telling her what she wants to hear. She shuddered. Either way, she way got out of there very quickly.

She thought of Brett.

That thought alone allowed her to remain walking and not just send up blue sparks on the spot. Fear was getting the best of her and she knew it. But his face swarmed into her being, filling her up with joy and allowing her to continue on.

She soon found herself sprawled on the ground from tripping over a gnarled tree root, its rough edges poking her ankles. She picked herself up off the ground, dusting her robes hurriedly as she stood; her wand had rolled a few feet away. She didn’t even think to look around as she walked over toward the left side of the forest to pick it up. When you’re not aware of your surroundings, it makes it that much better for your attacker to overwhelm you.

Emma let out a cry as she was forced to the ground again, a body on top of her thin form. She hadn’t even seen it coming, but she was now on the soil with no protection. Her arms and legs were pinned, and try as she might, she couldn’t wriggle out from underneath the beast. She looked into the eyes of a monster of a spider, its venom dripping onto her face as it loomed over her, ready for a snack after its long night of hunting. An acromantula. Its eyes were beady; their frightening stares into Emma’s own making fear seep through her veins. And her wand was still a foot away. Her fingers stretched and stretched, reaching and groping for the thin wood, but to no avail. The spider was digging his sharp legs into her sides, causing more pain as she still reached out for the wand. She attempted to push the giant off her, but she only succeeded in wearing out her muscles and receiving more spurts of venom to the face. But then, she grabbed her wand.

Stupefy!” she yelled, her shouts ringing out across the forest, causing any timid creature to run farther away than they already were stationed. The spider was forced backward, its bristly legs cringing into its body as it flew about twenty feet away. It began to creep back, but Emma was quicker on her feet. She gasped in air; it seemed as if the creature’s weight had hindered her breathing, and she now had to gasp to allow life access to her lungs.

It lunged for her again.

”Stupefy!” she screamed for a second time, the spider once again being blown backward, its legs again recoiling into its own body, then bouncing onto the ground. It must have realised that Emma wasn’t worth it, because it took one last ravenous look at the girl then crept away.

Emma, her breathing now extremely irregular, then broke off in a run toward her destination, her eyes becoming weary and her heart pounding in her chest. After a few minutes’ worth of the exercise, the monstrous stitch in her side forced her to slow down and take a quick breather.

She instantly smelled smoke. Her eyes widened as she rounded another corner. The heat hit her full in the face and made her lungs close. Fire illuminated the trees in front of her, a small creature resembling a snake stalking away from it, its eyes evil and narrowed. It slithered a cool slither toward her, but she knew it was harmless other than the eggs. She almost wanted to beckon it toward her just to kill it for the havoc it had just wreaked upon her challenging task, but she decided it would just have to wait.

Aguamenti! Aguamenti! she yelled loudly, covering her eyes as a few drops of water flung into her eyes, soaking the blaze that now enclosed the burning trees. She still hadn’t found the eggs that had started the blaze, but she just wanted to stop the fire for now. She didn’t want her first task to go up in smoke as the forest did, though she didn’t want to be killed in the process. If she failed the first task and was the only one to do so, then she would no longer have any cheers for herself as she started the other tasks. Everyone would think that she wasn’t worth being chosen, and would hate her for losing.

When only smoke sprung up from the ground, Emma briskly searched through the rubble, looking for the eggs. And she finally found them.

But the only question was, how did she freeze them? She had been told to freeze and only freeze them; she couldn’t just shoot cold water to them while levitating them all the way out of the forest; she’d have to wrack her brain for the correct charm.

The flames were crackling again; she could feel the leaves being melted under her shoes from the intense heat, the smoke rising into her nostrils as she choked and gasped for air. She remembered something that her Mum had told her in case of a house fire--- she was supposed to get down low and breathe normally. At the moment she found this rather foolish; the leaves would surely just allow the fire access to her hair and cloak, and that wouldn’t go over well. She continued to wrack her exhausted mind for the answer, but it just didn’t seem to want to come to her.

“Freezing Charm . . . Freezing Charm . . .”

All of a sudden, a jet of icy blue light was shot forth from Emma’s wand, and she felt her very fingertips freezing from the cold that the spell beheld. It must have been a non-verbal spell, the one she had thought about. She continued on to levitate the egg, stepping over the hissing Ashwinder that still stayed to protect its eggs, recoiling as if to strike. Emma knew that it couldn’t hurt her, but she didn’t want to stay around extensively for a snake no matter if it could or not.

Emma could feel the ground shaking under her quick feet, but she thought nothing of it, thinking it was just her heart pounding in adrenaline inside her chest. She was only staring at the egg, her feet picking up in speed as she got closer and closer to her fans and friends, hearing their distant shouts and screams of excitement as the task time ended.

She didn’t even notice it when she ran right into a giant.

She struck the ground with a grunt, her skull hitting with great force and rendering her dizzy for a moment. Her head spun as she sat up, the egg rolling off into the bushes without the protection of the spell. Thankfully it didn’t crack open. She could faintly smell smoke and hear crackling as she finally found the strength to stand.

But she then wanted to sit right back down. A massive man towered over her, a rather large weapon in his hands. His tattered clothing was torn and old, looking as if it hadn’t been changed in quite a few months. His skin was pale and covered in dirt and some kind of fungus of which Emma could not identify. The black beard that filled out his face was straggly and filled with something that looked strangely like bones. Whether they were human bones or not, Emma didn’t know, but she truly didn’t want to wait around and find out.

She crouched to the ground awkwardly, her eyes narrowing up at the creature as she took two steps backward, praying and hoping that he hadn’t seen her yet. The giant lowered its massive head to her frail form below. He raised his foot and, still staring intently at the girl below him, made to lower it. Emma dashed out of the way, dropping her wand but thankfully it didn’t to fall under the giant’s foot as it hit the hard earth, shaking the trees and allowing birds to take flight. Emma breathed yet another sigh of relief. She grabbed her wand and levitated the egg again with undeniable determination, a grim line crossing her face as she made to pass the giant. She shot out another jet of water to calm the flames that now surrounded the small area of grass and twigs underneath the trees.

She ran as fast her legs would carry her, hearing the deafening roars of the beast as it tried to claw its way to Emma, only making her pump her legs faster to reach the end of the forest. And suddenly, she burst through it. The claps and cheers that she had been imagining and actually hearing that had been pushing her along erupted into the loudest sounds she had ever heard. She smiled as she sank down to the ground in exhaustion and the subsequent fear that had been eating her away that past task. It felt as if she had been in there all day; she squinted as she stared up into the clouds, seeing a small trail of sunlight trying to burst through.

“Forty-two minutes, exactly,” the Minister said, his cheeks reddening as he looked the girl over and breaking into a smile. Emma finally dropped her wand, allowing the egg to fall to the ground softly, and Groban helped her up.

“Good work, Miss Collins,” he told her admirably, “Good work.”

Brett came over and put his arm around her and helped her over to the hospital station. Madam Tippet, the school nurse, made her drink some disgusting, orange liquid that nearly made her retch, but she held it in because of Brett’s presence, though she knew it would have made her feel better. She looked down at her scraped and stinging knees, realising that she had nasty burns along her legs from the fires she had had to put out, most likely being second-degree or worse. It was comical, because she hadn’t even felt the pains until Madam Tippet had started the healing process.

“That feel better, dear?” she asked comfortingly, blowing thoughtfully on the burns to soothe and cool them from the humidity the air beheld.

Emma smiled and nodded, thanking the woman as she walked off to see the commotion that Gregoria had started by beginning her trek into the forest, just as Emma had.

“You okay?” Brett asked, crossing the tent to sit next to her. He grabbed her hand and squeezed it, she bringing his eyes to his.

“ ‘Course,” she said, giving him a grin. “That was . . . so scary, though.” She shuddered. “Lucky you get to do it next.”

“Oh, thanks,” he said, his words full of sarcasm. He still didn’t know if even he was ready to partake the competition, but if Emma could do it, then he surely could. His Durmstrang mentor would surely raise hell if he decided just not participate anyhow, no matter if he were scared or just didn’t feel like completing the tournament.

“Yeah, you have to keep to the right,” Emma said idly, “I got too close to the left side of the forest and almost got eaten by an Acromantula.”

“Oh, my gosh, Emma, that’s terrible,” he said with convincing regard. “You said an Acromantula. What . . . other type of creatures were in there?” He listened intently.

“Well, all I ran into was that stupid snake, you know the one that we had to find the eggs? And I also literally ran right into a giant, and then you know the Acromantula. I’ve heard that there are also centaurs, but I didn’t see any sign of them.”

Brett nodded and smiled at her, clasping his hands together and propping them on his chin as he stood.

They sat in silence for a moment, Emma occupying herself by staring at her knees and wincing, the potion she had taken just starting to take its effects as she watched the horrid blisters and burns start to heal before her eyes. Brett seemed to be deep in thought.

“Don’t you wish we had that at home?” he asked, indicating her healing injuries.

“Yeah, Mum would love that. She’s always cutting or burning herself on something. Stove, usually.”

Brett stood, hearing the distant chatter of students and looked out of the entrance flap of the tent, it swinging in the breeze.

“I guess I’m going to have to go,” he told her, tucking a thread of hair behind her ear.

Emma tensed her lips and nodded, looking up at him and straightening her position on the chair.

He still stood there, as if expecting something, but didn’t say anything. Emma’s heart started beating erratically.

“I guess I’m going to have to give you a good luck kiss, then,” she told him teasingly, reaching up to give him a peck on the cheek. She pulled back, her eyes widening at what she had just done. She had done it all compulsively; she hadn’t even thought about it.

But Brett pulled her closer to him, and their lips met for the first time in two years since that ghastly day he had gone. Emma realised that it felt even better kissing him now than it did then.

“Good luck,” she told him casually, her smile widening in comfort for him as they broke apart. He walked out of the tent, a sheer smirk on his face. Emma collapsed onto her chair, closing her eyes and savouring in her mind what had just happened.

She had completed the first task in an admirable time and gotten a kiss from a boy that she was starting to love all over again.