Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Someone to Embrace by Marauder by Midnight

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: All the characters here, except Headmistress Derwent, Beaumont Marjoribanks, and Glover Hipworth, are of my creation. The three exceptions were created by J.K. Rowling.
Someone to Embrace
Chosen


“You’ll take care, won’t you?”

“I will, Mum. I promise.” Richard Cudney kissed his anxious mother on the cheek. Mrs Cudney fidgeted with the wool shawl draped over her shoulders as she watched her eldest son bid goodbye to the rest of his siblings.

“Write often, and tell us if you’re chosen.”

“I will, Mum.”

“Don’t be too gallant.”

“I won’t.”

“And don’t write in your books. I have a hard time selling them as it is.”

“Mum!” Richard walked away from his large family, who made the platform even more crowded toward the long line of carriages, each hitched to two invisible horses. Several carriages were already taken, their curtains drawn and the doors closed. As he made his way to one of the open carriages, he heard a voice call to him.

“Richard? Is that you?”

Richard Cudney turned and beamed in surprise. “Eliza!” The small girl had her arms wrapped around his neck before he could react. Richard would have gladly embraced her in return had the disapproving “tsk” from her mother not stopped him.

“How do you do, Mrs Flaherty?” he greeted formally with a grin with Eliza still latched to him.

Mrs Flaherty, an elegantly dressed woman with an outrageously wide-brimmed hat, ignored him. “Eliza! This is not proper behavior “ “

“Save me,” Eliza whispered in Richard’s ear before she let go. Smoothing out her gown and petticoat then adjusting her bonnet with care, she turned to her mother who’d turned a bright red. “Mother, I can take it from here.”

Before she could object, Eliza grabbed her valises and ran toward one of the open carriages, her gown flapping about her ankles. Richard tipped his hat apologetically to the furious Mrs Flaherty and followed Eliza with his own baggage.

“Smooth escape, eh?” he asked good-humouredly as he tied their luggage on the top of the carriage.

“Thank you.” Eliza entered the carriage, which was roomier on the inside than the exterior showed. “I’ve had to put up with her etiquette lessons all summer while my brothers walked freely in the garden.”

Eliza’s Muggle father was a considerably wealthy man whose money came from the design and manufacture of ladies’ gowns and dresses. The Flaherty home seemed, from Eliza’s descriptions, able to accommodate Richard’s large family with ease and always hosted some of England’s finest parties.

“Careful, then, Eliza. From the way you’re sitting, you might wrinkle your gown.” Richard grinned and dodged one of Eliza’s playful smacks.

“Discussing Eliza’s taste in fashion already?” a voice from behind asked. “A bit early in the school year, don’t you think?”

Eliza rolled her eyes as Cecil Godard, a short, slightly stout young man, approached with a suitcase in each hand. “A hand, please, Richard?” Cecil scooted into the carriage next to Eliza. “How was your summer, Miss Flaherty?”

Richard loaded Cecil’s heavy luggage onto the carriage with ease. Having always been the tallest of the three, he was used to such requests. The past summer had treated his bones well, and he’d shot up a head yet again. He finished fastening the bags down and waved to a few of his classmates as they passed by. When he finally slid into the carriage, Eliza was still describing her summer classes in-depth.

“…and the instructor was just awful.”

Before Eliza could launch into the details, Richard interrupted cryptically, “Sixth year.” His grin could not be any wider.

Cecil looked just as excited. “I’ve been looking forward to this ever since first year.” He skulked. “Mum wouldn’t let me put my name in the goblet. Even sent me a How “ “

“What? What is it?”

Cecil stared at Eliza incredulously. “Eliza, being a Muggle-born is not a reason to not know about the Triwizard Tournament.”

“The Triwizard Tournament is an event “ “

“Is the event.”

“Well, yes. Anyway, the tournament was developed a few hundred years ago with the purpose of uniting the three magic schools. Each school has a contestant to represent them in three separate events. The student with the most points wins the Triwizard cup and “ “

“And a thousand Galleons!”

Richard felt the carriage lurch forward as if suddenly gaining speed. After a few seconds, the rattling of the carriage stopped, and Richard knew that they were now airborne.

Eliza’s hazel eyes opened wide. “A thousand Galleons? Why, that would mean I won’t have to rely on Mother for my money!”

Cecil chortled. “What could you do with a thousand Galleons?”

Eliza smiled dreamily. “Open my own robes shop.”

“Well, you can keep dreaming, Eliza. You’d be the first girl from Hogwarts or Durmstrang to be chosen Champion AND the first woman to open a shop in Diagon Alley.” Ignoring Eliza’s furious huff, Cecil continued, “If I won the money, I would invest it in broomstick-making. It’s a sure way to earn more money; broomsticks are always evolving and always in demand.”

As Cecil and Eliza argued, Richard closed his eyes and imagined what he’d spend his reward money on. There was no question about how he’d spend most of it. For generations, his family had struggled to make ends meet, and the endless trouble his younger brothers were in didn’t help. Mrs Cudney could not seek active employment; too many hushed whispers followed the widow when she went out. Richard’s three brothers could hardly keep from damaging the neighbours’ property during their rough games. The two sisters at home helped Mother whenever they could, though they never wasted a moment to grumble and groan about it.

If there were any Galleons left over, Richard thought he’d like to buy a small home in the American colonies. Several of his friends had gone and written back about the splendour of the new world. However, Richard did not think about lining his own pockets; rather, he was more interested in the adventure the newly colonized continent would bring for him.

“You are always making such a fuss about propriety, Cecil!”

“And you never cease in your grumbling about your role in society!”

“Oh, my mother would simply adore your company!”

“In fact, I do find her quite pleasant!”

Richard decided it was time to break apart the spat before feelings were hurt. “So any idea what tasks may lay ahead for us?”

As expected, the simple inquiry dissipated all hard feelings in the carriage, and the three enjoyed a harmless conversation about what they anticipated for this year’s tournament.

When the carriage doors swung open, indicating their arrival at Hogsmeade, the three were still conversing about past tasks. The clear blue sky had been replaced with a dark velvet blanket spotted with stars. Students emerged from each carriage and walked to shake out their cramped legs. Richard and Cecil waited beside their carriage while Eliza stayed inside to change into her robes. Others opted to visit the shops nearby as their carriage mates changed.

The stop was quick and smooth, though slightly inconvenient. After everyone had changed, the carriages were once again loaded and off, this time straight to Hogwarts castle. The ride was short, and they’d arrived before Cecil and Eliza could find themselves in another argument.

“First years, this way please. All other students, please proceed to the Great Hall. First years, this way,” the monotone voice of Professor Lankin projected over the sea of students. The Deputy Headmaster’s bored and unenthusiastic expression made several of the new students wary, as it did Richard’s first year. But Richard knew they’d come to realize that behind the droopy eyes and deep scowl lines, Professor Lankin was brilliant at what he taught: Potions.

Richard followed the older, much louder students as they flowed into the large castle and its equally breathtaking Great Hall. Richard waved goodbye to Eliza, a Ravenclaw, and walked with Cecil to the table under the yellow banner with the badger. He quietly observed the Sorting of the first years and cheered when a new Hufflepuff was announced, though he was much more interested in what Headmistress Derwent had to say.

The round-faced, plump woman was watching the Sorting intently, though from time to time, her eyes flickered to the rest of the students. Once, her gaze met Richard’s, and he turned away at once, feeling himself blush. The intensity of the headmistress’s green eyes made Richard feel as if she was analyzing him very carefully, for what, Richard did not know. When he dared glance up at her again, she was already standing to deliver her welcoming speech. The students at the Hufflepuff table sat up straighter, anticipating what it was Headmistress Derwent had to say. The buzz about the tournament clearly reached all of their ears. One table over, he saw Eliza stiffen as well.

“Before we begin our feast, I’d like to make a few announcements. As always, the Forbidden Forest is…forbidden to all students of any age. Only those accompanied by a professor and have my permission to go may visit the forest. Similarly, students who wander the hall after curfew without an adult will have severe consequences.”

Richard watched Cecil fidget excitedly with his robes as the headmistress listed the familiar rules. He felt his own heart beat faster as he silently willed the headmistress to finish up. Finally “

“Lastly, your Head of House will take down the names of students interested in journeying with me to Durmstrang for the Triwizard tournament. There are no restrictions to who may put their names down, but in a month’s time, your Head of House will select only four people to put their names in the Goblet of Fire. The sixteen students selected will accompany me to Russia for the duration of the tournament.”

Professor Derwent’s expression turned uncharacteristically severe. “I cannot emphasize enough how dangerous the tournament is. The deaths of those who have participated in past events are not to be regarded lightly. Sign up with your Head of House only after careful consideration. You will have another chance to rethink your decision should you be chosen to represent your House.”

When the feast finally began, Cecil, his mouth full, asked Richard, “You sill doin’ i’?”

Richard grinned. “Of course. You?”

Cecil nodded in response and glanced over at the Ravenclaw table. He swallowed loudly. “You think Eliza’s really going to do it too?”

Richard looked over as well to see his friend chatting animatedly with her friends. The excitement and determination in her eyes was too familiar. “Eliza’s a strong one. I think she will.”

Cecil looked skeptical. “But she’s a girl!”

*


Four weeks passed by quickly. Classes went on as usual, but there were more points taken away for inattention in class than usual. The cacophony of tournament discussions had dimmed to a low buzz, yet it was constantly on everyone’s mind. All of the wizarding world knew about the tournament, and there was always at least one Howler every morning that spewed forth terrible messages against signing up for the tournament. Cecil, like Richard, had received a letter from his mum begging him not to go though he had already planned on disobeying.

Finally, the anxiety that had filled Hogwarts was put to rest. Headmistress Derwent, who’d been gone very often after her announcement of the tournament, stood one night and asked for everybody’s attention.

“After much deliberation, your four Heads and I have chosen the sixteen students for the tournament. These students are to report to me at the end of dinner.” The clatter of silverware and the hum of chatter died away instantly. Beside him, Cecil had stopped chewing the turkey meat already in his mouth.

“From Slytherin: Lucius Gaunt, Robert Grunnion, Ivan Zabini, and Gregory Taylor.” Headmistress Derwent paused to allow the Slytherins to cheer for their Housemates. Richard identified the four boys who stood up as three seventh years and one fellow sixth year. He realized that his hands were clenched in tight fists around his robes.

“From Ravenclaw: Beaumont Marjoribanks, Christopher Neal, Spencer Allen, and Eliza Flaherty.” Richard clapped as loudly as the Ravenclaws when he heard his friend’s name. When Eliza looked over in his direction, her face in utter shock, Richard winked. Cecil also had a look of disbelief, his mouth open to reveal half-masticated turkey.

“From Hufflepuff.” Eliza flashed Richard an encouraging thumbs-up, and Richard gave her a shaky smile in return. “Cecil Godard, Glover Hipworth, Richard Cudney, and Flavius Borgis.”

Richard barely heard Cecil choke on his food or his Housemates cheer loudly. He realized that he hadn’t been breathing and took a deep breath. Recovering quicker than poor Cecil did, he grinned stupidly as he shook the hands offered to him and pounded Cecil on his back.

After dinner, Cecil, Richard, and Eliza walked with the other seventeen students to a small room attached to the Great Hall. The headmistress motioned to all of them to sit down and briskly walked to the front of the room followed closely by Professor Larkin.

“Firstly, congratulations are in order. Each of you have proven yourselves in the eyes of your Head of House and will have the chance to go for the title of Hogwarts Champion. We will depart for Durmstrang on the twenty-ninth of October, and the Champion will be announced on Hallow’s Eve. The Champion,” she said, looking sternly at the individuals before her, “when chosen by the Goblet of Fire are obligated to compete so think twice before putting your name in. Those not chosen will be given the option to return to school or stay at Durmstrang. Either way, your education will continue, whether you take classes at Durmstrang or Hogwarts. You will return in time for your O.W.L. or N.E.W.T. exams.”

Richard heard Cecil stifle a groan.

“Good luck to all of you. You are dismissed.”





End notes: This chapter follows as closely to canon as my knowledge of the Harry Potter universe as of July 1, 2007 allows. Any information revealed to be false by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will not be changed.

Reviews are graciously accepted and appreciated.