Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Search, Destroy, and Defeat by The Observer

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I don't expect to ever finish this fic, but I wanted to post what I have written before the book comes out, so I hope you enjoy it!



Harry Potter rolled over in bed, trying to pick up some real sleep as he flitted in and out of consciousness. Finally slipping into a fitful slumber, the dim picture of a distant dream floated in front of his lidded eyes.



The dark shadow of a figure was kneeling in front of Harry with its head bowed reverently. The room was shrouded in black, its only source of light coming from a low fire which projected spidery shapes across the walls and ceiling. Harry gazed down at the man, his long, white fingers clasped tightly around his wand.



“Severus…” he began in a low voice that sounded like a hiss, “that wasn’t part of your assignment, was it?”



“No, my lord, it wasn’t,” croaked the man, sounding as if he hadn’t spoken in weeks, “but “”



“Silence! Bellatrix has informed me of the vow you made with her sister. Noble, but not one of your best decisions, I’m afraid to say,” Harry said cruelly.



“But, my lord “” Severus tried again.



“Crucio!”



Harry watched the curse connect with the man in front of him and kept an air of indifference as he writhed and screamed in pain. Finally he lifted his wand, allowing Severus to regain his breath.



“Now, Severus, you’re lucky I’m such a forgiving Lord…I’m not going to kill you.”



The man slumped and closed his eyes in what appeared to be relief. While it was lost on Harry, someone watching very closely might have detected a flicker of something akin to disappointment, but the emotion was gone in an instant, covered up once again by a blank expression.



“Thank you, my lord, thank you…your mercy humbles us all…”



“Stand up Severus,” Harry commanded suddenly.



The cowering man quickly staggered to his feet, but kept his head bowed in respect.



“Although I gave that assignment specifically to the boy and you decided to take the situation into your own hands, I find that I am able to overlook your wrongs. After all, it’s not the means that matter, but the end. Dumbledore is dead,” Harry stated with satisfaction. “You have proven your loyalty, Severus. I hope you will enjoy the privileges that come with it, as I know I will.”



“Of course, my lord; I won’t give you any reason to doubt my loyalty again,” Severus said steadily, looking up at Harry.



“Good,” Harry replied, staring directly into the man’s eyes. When he was satisfied with what he found, he dismissed him curtly.



“Send Lucius in,” he ordered. “I want to hear a report on the whereabouts of his son.”



Harry sat alone in the darkness for a short time, twirling his wand lazily, but was soon joined by another man. This time his hair was not black and lanky, but a long, shining blond.



“Lucius…how long has your son been missing?” he asked as the man sank into a low bow.



“It has been about two weeks, master,” Lucius answered with disgust evident on his face when Harry used the word ‘son’.



“Ah…only two weeks? Have you made any progress with the search?”



“None, my lord, but we will find him,” he said, quickly adding, “He can’t be far from Edinburgh; he was spotted there a couple days ago.”



“I hope,” Harry started in a cold voice, “that you’re not mistaken “ for your sake.”



Lucius flinched. “Yes, master.”



Harry didn’t say anything, seemingly disinterested with the man in front of him. Lucius looked uncertain for a second, not sure if his master was through with him. He turned slowly for the door, but Harry’s voice rang out once again.



“I want you to pass on a message to your precious wife: let her know that her blunder hasn’t gone unnoticed.”



~ * * * ~



Harry snorted in his sleep, waking up long enough to think vaguely, ‘He’s getting careless, letting me see that…’ before drifting off again “ this time into a mercifully dreamless and uninterrupted slumber. Unfortunately, when he woke up next morning he had no recollection of the dream.



Days passed into weeks, blurring together until Harry couldn’t tell them apart. A depression, not unlike the one he felt after Sirius’ death, had settled over him “ however, this time he had something to keep his aimlessness at bay. He had things to think about, to figure out, and most importantly, things to accomplish. He had work to do that would undoubtedly be long, difficult, and most likely fatal, but he knew it was entirely necessary. It had to be done and it was up to him to make sure it was.