Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Search, Destroy, and Defeat by The Observer

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I forgot to do this for my prologue, so I'm going to do it now for my entire story:

Disclaimer: Evidently, no matter how hard I wish for it, I am still not J.K. Rowling, nor do I own her ingenious story or characters. That's it, now I'm gonna have to go yell at my parents - 'anything is possible if you put your mind to it', HAH! If that was true, I'd be living in a mansion in Scotland with millions of dollars and seven extremely successful books...

So, yeah, I don't own anything.




The Death to Shock All

The person often referred to as the most powerful wizard of modern times has finally been defeated by none other than Hogwarts own Potions Master, Severus Snape. Believed to be the previously redeemed ex-Death Eater, Snape had been defended by the late Headmaster on numerous accounts, even saving him from Azkaban.

However, on a potentially calm night just over a month ago, Snape used the worst of the Unforgivable Curses on his employer. On that same night no less than four more of You-Know-Who’s followers were sighted within Hogwarts. The mystery to this sudden attack is far from solved as the Ministry is still investigating its cause and how the Death Eater’s could possibly breach the most secure location in Britain. Theories are continued on pg. 3.

Dumbledore’s funeral, however short notice, was attended by most of the prominent wizarding world; The Minister of Magic, many of his employees including Kingsley Shacklebolt, and ex-Auror ‘Mad-Eye’ Moody, the Hogwarts staff and students, the Weird Sisters, and yours truly, Rita Skeeter.

“Oh, it was such a touching ceremony, terribly sad…so unfortunate.” commented Dolores Umbridge, previous Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Hogwart’s High Inquisitor, and Senior Undersecretary of the Minister. (ctd. page 7, “Dumbledore, a History”)


As he read the article, Harry’s face grew steadily darker, until a streak of white caught his attention from the window. Upon opening it, Hedwig soared through and landed lightly on his shoulder. Tied to the owl’s leg was an envelope featuring the untidy scrawl that Harry connected immediately to his best friend, Ron. He promptly tore it open and read:

Harry,

I know I haven’t written in a while, but it’s been unbearably busy around here. Mom and Fleur have been frantic trying to finish all the planning for the wedding (but they’ve been getting along quite nicely. It’s a bit odd, really. Unnatural, if you ask me). Bill’s wedding will be next week, so Dad will be around to pick you up tomorrow at about one, okay? Oh, and Happy Birthday! I didn’t send your present with this because I’ll be seeing you tomorrow. Hermione’s here with a present waiting for you, too.

-Ron

Forgetting the last thing he had been reading, Harry cracked a smile. Yes, tonight was his birthday. It had gone without mention in the Dursley household, almost causing Harry to forget, but as this was the last day that he would have his mother’s protection, it hadn’t completely slipped his mind.

He quickly stashed his letter in his trunk and began to toss clothes, books, and other belongings in it. More than a month had passed where he had barely allowed himself to feel anything. Dumbledore’s death seemed to numb his mind, so he concentrated on the last of the Horcruxes. Slytherin’s locket was always somewhere close by. Harry had taken to pulling it out, staring at it and examining it as if he might find some hidden clue. For a reason he couldn’t fathom, he just couldn’t believe the locket’s sole purpose was to inform Voldemort that ‘R.A.B.’ had stolen the true one. Thought after thought had plagued Harry; was the locket supposed to act as a fraud, to mislead someone? Was the note possibly a trick to make someone believe the locket was a fake when it really wasn’t? Who was ‘R.A.B’? Did he destroy the original locket if the note was the truth?

Harry shook his head in an attempt to clear it and after throwing the last trinket into his trunk he stepped out of his room and proceeded downstairs.

“Petunia, I want him out. We’ve done what that old crackpot asked, the boy is seventeen now! I refuse to let him bring…it into this house anymore!”

“But, Vernon, he may still be able to use us as protection “”

“Use us as protection?! No, I will not sacrifice my family’s safety for the well being of an ungrateful little you-know-what!” Harry’s uncle spat out the last part of his statement as if it was the Black Death. But that was, in fact, because he thought it was the Black Death, or at least something equivalent to it.

At this point, Harry was standing outside the kitchen doorway, silently listening to his aunt and uncle arguing. It was odd to hear his aunt defending him, though, admittedly she sounded unconvinced and uncertain.

“That’s not what I meant,” she continued quietly. “I “ I just don’t want to think of what will happen if the boy is killed. I’ve seen with my own eyes what Voldemort can do and Duble “ Dumbledore said Harry was Britain’s last chance! Not the wiz “ their last chance, Britain’s last chance!”

“He probably would’ve said anything to get you to believe his story.”

Uncle Vernon quickly continued before Petunia could retort. “I don’t care what that Dumblehead said. I won’t have him coming into my house again, feeding you lies.”

Stepping into the kitchen and thus into view, Harry said darkly, “Oh, don’t worry. You won’t have to see Dumbledore again.”

“And what do you mean by that, boy?” demanded Uncle Vernon suspiciously.

“One of Voldemort’s followers killed him.”

Aunt Petunia gasped audibly, looking terrified as her hand flew up to her mouth. Even Vernon was struck dumb by this, until he suddenly exploded, just like the year before.

“That’s it! I want you out, boy, and I want you out now!”

He grabbed the collar on Harry’s shirt and dragged him back to the stairs. “Get your stuff. I want to see you out the door in ten minutes.”

Numbly, Harry walked up to his room and grabbed his trunk. Well, I would’ve left tomorrow, anyway. What’s one day early going to change? He looked around his room one last time to make sure he wasn’t forgetting anything. It was pitifully empty, though, now only containing a bed, an empty desk, and Hedwig perched inside her cage. Snatching her up too, Harry rushed down the stairs and met his uncle who was waiting for him at the bottom, as if to make sure he wouldn’t sneak away somewhere else in the house. He glared sternly at Harry for several uncomfortable seconds until Harry spoke up.

“Uncle Vernon, I thought you wanted me to go…”

“Then go,” Vernon growled between clenched teeth.

Harry realized that Aunt Petunia and Dudley were both silently watching from the hallway and waved humorlessly at them. “Bye. Thanks for the wonderful time.”

And then he slipped past his uncle and was out the door without a second glance.