Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Only One He Ever Loved by Salem

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: My idea of what was between Sev and Lily in their OWL year. Romance, but mainly me trying to fill in the blanks. J.K. Rowling is Our King. Also! Story re-edited with the help of a lovely beta named kask!


She sat in the overgrown grass surrounding the rusting playground. Her fingers brushed lightly over the blades, and the cool wind gently blew back her long hair. She felt tired from being in the sun all day. Even as it set, it continued to radiate heat onto everything. She was fifteen and home for the summer. Unfortunately, her school situation and her sister Petunia’s malice had made it so she had no friends during the summer time. Save one…





As Lily lay back in the grass she caught sight of a familiar shadow.





“Hello, Lily,” said a boy with shoulder length black hair.





“Hi, Sev. Can’t stand this can you?”





She pushed herself back up as Severus Snape sat down next to her.





“Can anyone? A summer surrounded by Muggles. What I wouldn’t give-” Severus quickly cut himself short.





“Sorry, Lily I forgot.”





She looked at him but didn’t say anything for a while. Her face was unreadable.





“Hogwarts is the only place I’ve ever felt at home,” Severus said, plucking a weed.





They sat side by side staring at the decaying swings creaking in the wind.





“Remember when you first told me that I was a witch?” Lily asked laying her head on his shoulder. He knew that she would let his comment slide. He could smell her hair; feel it warmed from the sun. The vanilla scent lifted him gently. He was in love.





“Yeah, I remember. We were here in the park. You weren’t very happy.”





She laughed gently, her slight frame shaking. “I am now. It’s worth every fight with Petunia and every l-lonely summer,” whispered Lily, her voice cracking. He knew that she wasn’t shaking from laughter anymore.





“Lily…” Snape always had trouble expressing his feelings, especially to her. He spoke carefully.





“I’m glad that you’re here.”





To Severus’s relief and surprise, she smiled up at him.





“I was thinking the same thing.”





****************************************************************





His parents were shouting again. No he thought, my father is screaming. His mother never stood up for herself, let alone for him. She was plagued by undue guilt. She hated being a witch because she believed magic to be the problem in her marriage, in her life. And so Severus lived under the tyranny of his Muggle father. He grew to hate Muggles and everything associated with them. By fifteen, his prejudice had grown to overshadow most good things inside him. Only with Lily did his capacity for love shine. Only with Lily did Severus Snape forget to hate.





Lily spent a lot of the summer outside her house. She soon made friends with teenagers who lived in their village. She was too happy, too friendly, and too pretty to go unnoticed biking around the neighborhood or swimming at the community pool.





Severus was in awe of her. He spent his summer shut in his room during the day, his door permanently locked to everyone but him. He was not capable of following along with Lily during the day. His dislike of Muggles, maybe even of people in general, was too great. At night he would sneak out of his house and walk in the cool air. Then, sometimes, Lily would join him for a while. He was happiest then. They were their own oasis of magic in those still nights. They would talk about anything, but mainly of Hogwarts and the wizarding world. Sometimes Severus would talk about his family. Lily was the only one he could open up to.





“Does he hit you?” Her green eyes were wide with a range of emotions. Anger, fear, and worry flitted quickly in them.





He met her gaze for only a moment. It was too much to have Lily Evans so close to him, so ready to defend him.





His mouth broke into a reassuring smile. “When I was young he would. But once I got a grip on my magic he didn’t dare. When I was ten I deboned both his arms on accident. I can’t do anything now. But he doesn’t know that.”





She found his hand in the dark. It was balled into a fist. He eased it open as she took it in hers and squeezed it gently. That wonderful smell of vanilla wafted over him again.





********************************************************************





The rest of the summer passed quickly. Severus and Lily’s friendship grew as it always did on their breaks from Hogwarts. They were both beyond excited as the first of September drew near.





Lily felt guilty about liking Severus better in the summertime. He wasn’t hanging around with the rest of the Slytherins, dueling and plotting. That side of Severus had always caused her to stand back a little from their relationship. She could never get too close because she had some idea of what he was capable of becoming. And while he had never been mean to her or hurt her, she knew that deep inside, he felt superior to her because she was Muggle-born.





During the summer, Severus was different. He was kind and they were very similar. She never read too much into what her friends told her at school. That he wanted to be a Death Eater; that he’d used Dark Magic. He was her friend since they were young. She would always care for him.