Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Only One He Ever Loved by Salem

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: My story is a baby still. Awwww... tell me what you think please!

J.K. Rowling is our King. None of this would be here without her.

**********************************************************
Kings Cross. Everything about it was beautiful that day. The white light filtered through the windows highlighting every wizard’s favorite barrier with a welcoming glow.

Lilly hugged her mom and dad. They smiled down at her, and her father kissed the top of her head.

“We love you. We are so proud of you.”

Behind the barrier was a different story. Severus stood alone. His parents had not felt the need to see him off, which was fine with him. To think of his classmates gawking at his Muggle father was repulsive. Looming in the shadows, he finally saw what he had been waiting for…Lily.

She came through without her parents. He, maybe only he, noticed her quickly wipe tears from her eyes. She glanced around the station and her face split into a delighted smile. She turned her body and suddenly they made eye contact.

The steam from the engine clouded the multicolored light shining through the stained glass windows. For that moment there was only Lily; her red hair shining like a halo, her green eyes bright from tears and excitement, her lips that slowly parted forming…his name.

“Severus.”

She’d asked her parents not to see her off on the train. They seemed to understand, she was barely controlling her emotions. But her first glimpse of the Hogwarts Express was pure joy. And then she saw him.

The shadows played dramatically off of his face. Already in his robes, the rolling steam curled around his feet. He’d done something with his hair. It lay playfully across his eyes, his head turned slightly downward and cocked to the side, inviting her; he met her gaze with his deep eyes. Though they had seen each other only the day before, it was like meeting after a summer apart.

Lily left her cart and went over to him, pulling his tall frame down for a hug. He was in shock. He knew her friends didn’t like him, and Gryffindors and Slytherins were rarely in close contact (unless you counted duels). He realized she was risking those relationships by being so open about their friendship. A wave of love passed through him, but too late. She pulled away.

“I have to go to the Prefect cart Sev, but if you want we can meet later on the train.” She was breathless. She had a way of perfectly expressing how he felt inside.

“Of course! It wouldn’t be the same withou-” he cut himself off. A group of Slytherins were staring pointedly at him.

His heart dropped. There they were, his people. He wanted to stride over to his “friends” and begin their discussions of dark magic again. They always turned to him for the answers.

Lilly knew even without turning. She shut her eyes to the quick throb of a headache. “You know, I think they might want us patrolling the train the whole time,” she said curtly. Severus snapped his head back to face her. He saw her eyes go steely.

“It might be difficult for us to meet.”

He should say something, he should tell her he would wait. But all he could think about was the fact that he had a group of people who wanted to be with him. The feeling of belonging was too strong.

“I guess your right.” Severus knew his words were hurting her. He hated himself for it.

She strode away and Severus went over to the other Slytherin fifth years.

“She filled out, the Mudblood,” sneered Avery.

“Why do you associate with filth like that, Snape? You might as well kiss a Muggle as stand near a Mudblood.” Nott eyed Severus closely.

“I- I hadn’t realized that you could dictate my actions, Nott. You do not know my reasons.” Severus was unnerved, but was quickly falling back into his well worn haughty demeanor. The finality of his tone caused them to change the subject, but not forget it.

************************************************************************

The train ride was uneventful. Lily reconnected with her witch friends, and they laughed about their summer experiences.

“I hadn’t realized I was under very long. My magic hasn’t gotten away from me like that since I came to Hogwarts. Apparently, I had been swimming at the bottom of eight feet of water for five minutes.”

Lily’s audience of her closest friends began roaring with mirthful laughter as the story progressed.

“So the lifeguard dives into the pool and pulls me out by my waist. I thought I was being attacked! I swallowed about half the pool’s water. He practically throws me onto the concrete, and without so much as a gentleman’s warning he begins mouth to mouth resuscitation!”

Eleanor actually fell to the floor at this point. And Lily stared angrily at the ceiling, obviously still traumatized by the incident.

“I don’t think I need to explain to the wizarding world what that is. Needless to say, I broke his nose, and then barfed up the water.” She sighed. “And he had seemed so cute…”

*************************************************************

Elsewhere, Severus had his head bowed in a group.

“I heard he is more powerful than any other wizard in dark magic.”

“What about Grindelwald? Were he out of prison, he’d be the most powerful. Where is the evidence of this ‘Dark Lord’s’ his accomplishments?”

“You’ll soon change your tune. He has power, he has supporters, and the ministry has yet to stop him.” Severus sat back in his seat, “I heard that he cannot die. I will join him, if he continues to rise.”

They kept discussing, but Severus tuned out. He leaned against the window, staring into the rushing hills and villages. Thoughts of Lily’s hug took over his mind. She had held him so close that he felt her pounding heart. Had she felt his?