Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Only One He Ever Loved by Salem

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I like the professor's name! It's cute. The professor, unfortunately, is not.

*******************************************************************
Severus woke early the first morning of classes, very early. The sky was still dark as he made his way through the deserted hallways. He stopped at the Great Hall and picked up two pieces of toast.

“The house elves remembered,” he said quietly. The previous years he had always woken at this time and at least one of the house elves had always made sure there was something for him to eat.

He liked Hogwarts best in the morning. It was so quiet and peaceful. He hated breakfasting in the Great Hall with everyone there. He saw enough of his classmates during the rest of the day. He entered the library and went to the Restricted Section, holding the toast in his mouth. Two years before he had broken the spell that kept him out and he had frequented the forbidden books often.

He selected a familiar potion book. It hardly earned the right to be with other books of such bad reputation. It was most likely banned because it told how to brew a potion that would make one invulnerable to the Whomping Willow. He sneered, quickly chewing the rest of the toast and wiping his hands. The werewolf needed special treatment.

He wasn’t interested in that potion today; there was another he was curious about. It seemed to be a breed of Veritaserum, but of a more specific variety. The drinker would immediately reveal what they’d most hoped to keep secret. He frowned as he read the ingredients.

“Three months,” he breathed. And even then the potion could go deadly wrong. It required spells and charms and several plants that were surely banned. He gently placed the book in his bag. If any student was capable of completing this potion and manipulating its full potential, it was Severus Snape.

He spent the rest of his time preparing for his classes that day. The first of the year would be double Defense Against the Dark Arts with the Gryffindors. A spasm went through Severus as he remembered what that meant; hours in the same room as James Potter.

*********************************************************************

Lily woke on the first day of class to the sun shining in her eyes. She immediately felt content when she remembered where she was. She dressed in record time and brushed her hair up into an easy ponytail. The other girls were already in the Common Room.

She usually woke early, but she had been up late the night before. The fifth year Gryffindor girls had treated the last night like a sleepover, and it was well into the early hours before the giggling stopped.

It is WAY too early to deal with them, she thought as she heard James, Remus, Sirius and Peter guffawing. She rubbed sleep from her eyes as she stuffed test books into her bag.

Sirius slid over to her, tugging on her ponytail. “Evans! Pined away all summer for me I suppose. I’m here now, ginger.”

“Hm. I had hoped otherwise.” She gave him a falsely coy smile. In the corner of her eye she could see James coming over.

“Guess I’d better go,” she hurriedly excused herself, climbing through the portrait hole. She felt like she was running away, but she didn’t feel like speaking to James.

Talking that night with the girls she had heard enough about James Potter. Though she would concede he was cute, his arrogance was terrible. And the way he treated Sev…

“Oh Lily, why does he like you? You’re practically the only girl who won’t go out with him,” Emily had said.

She felt stupid. She hadn’t realized James liked her so much. She assumed that like Sirius, he was an incredible FLIRT.

But the girls had convinced her, and she wasn’t keen on dealing with him on an empty stomach.

She took out her class schedule during breakfast. Double Defense Against the Dark Arts with the Slytherins. She wondered who the teacher this year was…

************************************************************************
A middle-aged robust man stood behind a cracked oak desk turning his wand around in his hand. He had thick gray hair and in contrast, a wavy red beard. His front brow protruded. He was reminiscent of a Viking, if anything.

Professor Gilbert stared at his hesitant class. They didn’t yet know what to expect from him as a new teacher. Suddenly gripping his wand firmly he raised his arm and in a flash he yelled, “Wands at the ready!”

Taken aback, the only one who managed to block the attack was Severus. Living with a violent father, he’d learned to expect danger always.

The rest of the class, however, took to babbling incoherently. Severus felt proud of himself and Professor Gilbert looked down at him.

“Name?” he asked

“Severus Snape, sir.”

“Well Mr. Snape, at least I know one student in this class would stand a chance against dark magic.” Snape looked intently at the professor. “No, that wasn’t very dark magic, Mr. Snape. Could I ask you, though, if you had anticipated an attack?”

“Your wand, sir. You gripped at very tightly.”

“Oh they’ll have to watch out for you!” said Professor Gilbert happily. He was then about to use the counter curse on the class when he noticed a boy with jet black hair quieting.

“Who is that, Mr. Snape?” asked Professor Gilbert.

“Potter,” Snape practically spat.

“He seems to be throwing off the curse! Amazing, I should say. Especially one I cast.”

They watched as James regained control of his vocal chords. His flushed face broke into a grin.

“Didn’t expect that one Professor!” James laughed happily.

Professor Gilbert released the class. Most looked angrily upon him, some, like Lily, seemed angry at themselves.

“Hello sirs and misses! I am Professor Gilbert, Auror on some kind of a vacation, and you have just been attacked. By what?

“Babbling Curse,” offered Remus.

“You are right Mr…”

“Lupin, sir.”

“Yes. Only two of you responded somewhat appropriately. I could have been anyone! None of you knew what your new teacher would look like. Suppose I was a proponent of evil magic! I could have jinxed the trousers off you! Only Mr. Snape managed to block the curse, and only Mr. Potter threw it off. However, neither of them made move to counterattack.” He stared icily around the class.

“For the rest of this class we will practice blocking spells. You will only attempt to disarm if you are on the offensive, and block if on defense. Mr. Potter, Mr. Snape, I would like you to be our first example.”

A ripple went through the class. Severus and James were out for blood and the two houses could feel it. Professor Gilbert must have sensed something as well.

“If you deviate from my rules the punishment will be dire, boys.” He gripped both their shoulders.

Severus turned to take his place, walking past Lily who whispered, “Good luck.”

“Mr. Potter, you will attempt to disarm Mr. Snape. Mr. Snape, your job should now be obvious,” Professor Gilbert said briskly.

“It’s been a long summer, Snivellus,” said James wolfishly. “Hope you’re not out of practice.”

Severus said nothing but discreetly glanced at Lilly who looked at him encouragingly.

“Wands at the ready, boys! On my count, One, Two, THREE!” roared Professor Gilbert.

“EXPELLIARMUS!” cried James moving like lightning.

Severus too moved quickly, but he still said nothing. There was a bright spark and James was sent skidding backwards. He didn’t lose his footing, but slammed into the wall as Severus strode forward.

“Empelliarmus,” Severus whispered, and James was disarmed.

The Slytherins whooped and ran to Severus. James’ wand had landed near Lily and she brought it over to him. James kept his eyes downward and silently took it from her.

“Aw Professor, let James have another go!” yelled Sirius.

“Class, can anyone explain what happened here?” asked Professor Gilbert, eyes on James.

“Severus cast his spell without using words aloud. It was quicker than the usual Protego,” said Lily.

“Correct Miss…”

“Evans.”

“Yes, Ms. Evans. Now class please pair off. Mr. Potter, you continue to practice with Mr. Snape on the defensive. Let’s see if you two can hold up.”

From then on, James was relentless. Quidditch had taught him the speed he needed to overpower Severus. However, it was almost an even trade off. They were perfectly matched.

From the other side of the classroom Lily watched them, her brow furrowing. She was paired with Emily who seemed to have trouble getting the disarming spell right. Severus and James were both saying the incantations in their heads now and beads of sweat were clinging to Severus’ forehead as he relentlessly strengthened his shield.

She wished Professor Gilbert would tell them to stop. He’d put together the worst possible pair. James would not leave Severus alone now, not a chance. She knew that things would go back to being just like the last years; and Severus would always be at odds with James. There would never be peace.