Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Only One He Ever Loved by Salem

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Here you go. A new chapter! hOOOOOray

**********************************************************************************
Severus walked in the empty corridor, immersed in his new potion book. Had he been up to his usual standards of readiness, he would have easily heard the soft footsteps or felt the warm breath on the back of his neck. As it was, Severus was completely vulnerable.

The wandlight reflected playfully in her eyes. Taking a quick breath in, she blew slowly across the nape of Severus’ neck.

She’d anticipated his reaction. Without missing a beat Severus dropped his book, turned on a point and shouted a spell. The green-eyed girl had ducked and whispered, “Petrificus Totalus,” then sat on the floor next to the fallen immobile boy, watching Severus’ spell light up the hallway.

She could almost see his attempt to smile when he recognized her.

“THAT is for showing up the rest of us in Gilbert’s. Honestly, Sev, I could have been anyone.” Lily released him.

Severus burst out laughing. “That was a good imitation. One day, Lily, I’ll get you and then you’ll regret every time you’ve cursed me.”

“Sh,” Lily warned, “what are you doing out this late? What’s that book?”

Before Severus could grab the potion book, Lily had reached it.

“A little light reading, Sev?”

“Honestly, woman! You break my skull and then steal from me?”

Lilly was slightly taken aback by his outright humor. “You’ll live. Besides, you’ll need the practice, I guess. Are you and James going to try to kill each other again this year?”

Severus stood sharply and strode down the corridor, Lily scrambling at his heels.

“I didn’t mean- Sev. Well… hey-”

Severus held a finger up to his lips and pulled her behind a statue into a hidden passageway just as the sound of heavy footsteps began to resonate.

They held their breaths until the footsteps died away.

“Close one,” whispered Lily. She looked around the passageway. “Where does this go?” she asked.

“The dungeons. I’m going there now,” answered Severus.

“A potion then, Sev? Of course it is. All last year experimenting and you never let me know what you were doing.”

He looked at her intently. “Actually, could you help me with this one?” he asked.

Lily was surprised. Severus generally liked working alone. That is, Severus only worked alone. She stared up into his eyes; their faces were very close to each other. So close in fact, that she could smell a light soap on him mixed with something like belladonna. Her heart leaped unexpectedly to her throat.

“Sure, of course,” she fumbled, taking a step back, glad the darkness hid her reddening face.

They walked on quietly, whispering to each other.

“So what are you doing out so late, Ms. Prefect?” questioned Severus.

“I can’t sleep. When classes ended I took a nap and woke up a little bit ago. Now I’m awake for good,” she sighed. “So why do you need my help on the potion?”

She hadn’t asked him yet what it was. She guessed that he wouldn’t want to tell her everything, the sneaky Slytherin. Severus ran his fingers back through his hair.

“The potion needs charms. I could do them, but… you’re the best.”

Severus decided that he was having an extremely unusual night. He never intended to ask Lily to help him. Talking to her, that wonderful idea had crept into his head and he had seized the chance. It almost scared him to think of late nights working with her, a secret they would share.

Severus and Lily entered the dungeon he had chosen, worked for about an hour and then went back to their dorms. Lily walked with Severus to the Slytherin dorms, whispering softly.

“It really is a difficult potion, Sev. I do NOT want to know what your plans are, but stay away from me with it.” She bumped him slightly with her hip.

Severus must have made some reply but he wasn’t aware of it. His mind was filled with the image of Lily stirring the black cauldron, the fire underneath playing shadows over her skin.

“Well, goodnight, Sev,” said Lily and she took a step towards him.

Caught in a moment of indecision and distress, Severus faltered backwards slightly then changed his mind and tried to remain where he was, throwing himself off balance.

Lily grabbed his arm tightly to save him from the trip, then gently moved her arm around him in a hug.

“Goodnight, Lily,” he breathed into her hair.

**********************************************************************

Walking back to the Griffindor tower, Lily couldn’t help but go over the situation. She thought of their last moment, how close they had come to…

No, she decided. No, no, no, no. Not Sev, this is so stupid. Of course not.

Lily had dated some in last year. She’d had fun and felt happy and energized, but never in any danger of getting hurt.

She allowed herself to imagine just for a second, dating Severus. He knew so much about her, maybe they were just too close. It would be different to kiss Sev than to kiss any other boy in the school. She didn’t feel like she could take that step, that one step closer to him, an inch from his face.

She skipped a little in her walk at the thought of that. It felt…scary, she decided. It felt good and exciting, but at the same time, scary. She rubbed her forehead.

Weird, weird night.