Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Only One He Ever Loved by Salem

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I guess the site's back in tip top shape, so I've got some chapters built up to post. I've been reading hopelessly romantic novels recently. Put up with me for a while.

Also, I love it and I'm going to spoil it. The chapter title has two meanings. James, Lilly, and Severus' eye colors, as well as the colors of a bruise, which I assure you, they all have after that dueling disaster.

J.K Rowling is our King. Characters are hers, back story is hers, many of my late summer nights with a flashlight and new Harry Potter book are hers as well.
***************************************************************************** REVIEW PLEASE!!!! It really helps me know what direction to go.
Lily blinked her eyes open. She then shut them quickly because of the light. Slower this time, she peered through her lashes.

Hospital?

She was beginning to adjust her focus enough to see the details around her. There was another bed next to hers and…. another pair of eyes.

Her head was too heavy to acknowledge or fully understand the other person she looked at. He also seemed to be fine with just staring. For a while each innocently peeked at the other in between tiny boughts of sleep. Then Lily’s brain started to work properly.

Who…

The question troubled her for a second so she opened her eyes again to the other face. His eyes were…

But she fell back asleep.

When she awoke again, she had shifted. She was now much more fully rested and the light coming in from the windows was an orange-pink. She stretched slowly and contentedly, curling each finger. She felt someone move near her. Looking over without moving her head, she made out his shadow.

“Hey, Sev.”

“Hey, Lily.”

She began to raise herself, but her head pounded in response. She didn’t fight it, but sighed and looked back up with her eyes. Severus put his hand on her forehead and brushed back a few strands of her hair.

She faltered for the right words, her heart doing summersaults in her chest. She was both angry and very sorry. “Sev, you…I couldn’t let you two… I was afraid…”

Severus leaned closer to her, his dark eyes full of honesty.

“So was I.”


**********************************************************************

When James awoke, the past night rushed back to him like an old film reel. He saw the fight between Severus and him, felt the thud of Severus’ fist, and recoiled at the sight of Lily on the ground. He sat up sharply.

Lily was in a chair next to his bed, one hand gently lifting a page in a book she had propped open on her lap.

“James,” she smiled, closing the book, “you’ve been out the longest. Sev’s gone back to the Slytherin dorms for a bit and I just got up a while ago.”

James opened his mouth, shut it, then more determined, opened it again. Lily held up her hand before a word formed.

“Listen,” she began, scooting her chair closer to him, “you didn’t mean it. I was stupid. I forgot you wouldn’t be able to see me.”

But James was single-minded. “Lily, I am so sor-”

“Please, I’m not angry. Let’s just…let’s just drop it,” Lily offered resignedly. She couldn’t meet his eyes and picked at the corner of the book, determined not to raise her head.

“I didn’t want to hurt you,” he earnestly protested.

Lily snapped her head up and stared at James differently now then she had in the past four years. He was suddenly so vulnerable and honest. His guilt had rid him of all arrogance. She then dared, and took his hand.

“I’m fine, jerk.”

He caught the playfulness in her eyes and flirtingly squeezed her hand, a softy wicked grin spreading on his face. She attempted to snap her hand back, but he held it in his.

“So what’s gonna happen to Snape and me? Will we be scrubbing cauldrons until Nearly-Headless-Nick gets to join the Headless Hunt?” James questioned nonchalantly, pretending to ignore her futile attempts at reclaiming her own limb.

“You’re getting different punishments, probably. From Dumbledore for you, and Slughorn for Sev,” she replied through clenched teeth, disliking the purple color her restrained fingers were turning.

“Almost correct, Ms. Evans, but do not exclude yourself.”

Professor Dumbledore strode into the room, his midnight blue robes draping slightly on the ground. James immediately and bashfully dropped Lily’s hand. Dumbledore sat on the bed across from them and then gravely observed the two.

“I’m sorry, Professor,” said James honestly.

“What did I do?” demanded an indignant Lily. She was not inclined to accept further punishment, seeing as she had a lump on her head already.

“Ms. Evans, you failed to inform a teacher about a dangerous and illegal duel and as a result three students, including yourself, spent an entire day unconscious.”

Dumbledore hadn’t said it angrily, but his tone of voice was enough to shame Lily, both for her foolish behavior, and for her childish remark. She kneaded her forehead with her knuckles and mumbled incoherently, but in an apologetic tone.

Dumbledore continued, “Professor Slughorn and I have decided that together the three of you will be patrolling the hallways at night for curfew violators. It seems fitting. I will know where you are at all times, as I too roam Hogwarts in the moonlight.” Rising, Dumbledore turned back to the students, the corners of his eyes crinkling for a second in what Lily imagined to be amusement. He pet James once on the head and then excused himself.

James recovered his composure and sighed. When Lily turned to him she was surprised by his contented expression.

“What are you happy about?” she demanded.

“Hours, Lily. Hours, and you won’t be able to get rid of me.” His eyes were wide with false innocence, the same wicked grin stretching his face.

She allowed herself a low growl to which he chortled in response.

“You forget me, Potter,” an icy voice hissed from behind them.

James’ eyes reluctantly gave up Lily’s to meet the black pools that were Severus’ standing in the doorway. His face changed immediately to one of anger, and the tension in his body was visible.

Lily wanted to pummel both of their heads mercilessly. She eventually decided on the more peaceful route of drawing Severus’ eyes to her own. He found them and his softened naturally in response.

“Sev, please do not fight. You know I can’t ask James, he’s an idiot. But I can ask you. So please, please, don’t fight him again.” She had concluded her speech with mild hysteria in her voice.

“No need to get worked up, Evans. Old Snivillus and I will be best buds,” James declared with a crooked expression on his face, but no humor reached his eyes.

“I won’t let you get hurt again,” Severus said, looking only at Lily. He hadn’t promised her what she wanted, but Lily pacified herself with the fact she would have many nights to work out some kind of peace between them.

***********************************************************************

Severus walked Lily back to Gryffindor tower, carrying her books.

“You don’t have to do that, Sev,” she fought pointlessly with him.

“Lily, you can’t even walk in a straight line,” he argued. She would have protested but she managed at that moment to walk into a bust of Merlin.

“I never could,” she murmured instead as he steadied the rocking statue. He grinned and she was happy that they were able to joke again.

“So I guess we’re going to be patrolling,” Lily said when they reached the portrait of the Fat Lady.

“About that, what should we do with the potion?” Severus asked her.

Lily opened her mouth in mock surprise. “Severus Snape asking me for advice?”

His grin revealed a row of straight white teeth. “I’m all for knocking out Potter, but I figured you’d object.” He said this, well aware that Lily would disapprove, but unable to stop himself from reminding her of his enmity with James.

Lily’s mouth formed a more serious hard line.

“I’m so sick of you two. I guess we’ll figure out something. We can’t be patrolling the entire night,” she responded, absentmindedly pulling a stray hair off of Severus’ sleeve.

He nodded in agreement and then as he moved towards her to pass along her books he gave her a brief one-armed hug. She only had just enough time to register that he smelled like the Hospital Wing and that it upset her, before he walked away. She sighed at herself for being silly.

James was inside the Common Room in his usual conspiratorial huddle with the Marauders. They were bent over a parchment of paper that Remus touched his wand to and then put away. Lily had hopes of stealth, but one of her roommates greeted her by name and the Marauders’ heads snapped up.

“There she is; the little gladiator!” called Sirius, “Trying to prove stereotypes, Evans? Fiery redheads and all that?”

“Trying to prove stereotypes, Sirius? Stupid boys and whatnot?” Lily fired back.

James came to meet her, blocking his friends from her view. “It’s nothing personal, Lily. Padfoot just hates missing a fight.” He stared at her for a moment too long.

“What?” she asked warily under his gaze.

“I-nothing. Do you want to borrow Remus’ notes from the classes we missed?” he asked hurriedly with a slight shake of his head. He had just had an intense moment of déjà vu looking into her eyes. They were so green.