Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Promise of Hope by solemnlyswear_x

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to LucillaJoanna for betaing! :D Don't forget to review; I love hearing from everyone!
The days passed slowly and sometimes the nights lasted even longer. Life in Ashwood Manor was tedious during the day and full of nightmares when darkness fell.

Clare busied herself with housework and avoided Gavin, who hadn’t said a word to her in almost a week. She understood he had just been testing her, but a small part of Clare wished she could ask him more about the magic she had never learned. She knew she never could, as it would be impertinent of her and even unlawful for her to, but she couldn’t help but think of it.

The morning that marked exactly one week since she had spoken with Gavin, Clare found herself face to face with Mrs. Ashwood when she awoke. Mrs. Ashwood was leaning over her and as soon as Clare opened her eyes, Mrs. Ashwood yanked her out of the bed and told her to get dressed.

Her orders were simple: Go to the market and pick up some fresh vegetables and steaks for a dinner party the next night. Clare was eager to go; it had been so long since she had seen a world other than the one that revolved around the manor.

Mrs. Ashwood quickly detailed the consequences that would occur if Clare made any attempt to escape. The market, which had been established by wizards, was nearby, and all who worked there had been trained to spot anything out of the ordinary.

Clare dutifully replied that she would never think of doing something like that, and Mrs. Ashwood seemed reassured.

All the same, as Clare walked down the path from the manor, she couldn’t deny how enticing the thought of escaping was. She thought of elaborate ways to run away, knowing none of them would work, and enjoyed how wonderful the breeze felt. Even if she had to return to the manor, the fresh air was definitely worth it, and Clare moved as slowly as she dared to. She had only been given an hour and a half, and she planned to make the most of it.

When Clare arrived at the market, she was taken aback. There were more people here than she had seen in a long time, and the loud noise was a welcome change to the quiet of the manor. Not to mention, the place was swarming with servants like herself. A small flicker of hope flitted into Clare’s mind. What if someone else from Langley was here? Clare couldn’t have been the only one taken from the village that night.

That night. Clare could remember it perfectly - every detail, every moment of fear. She tried not to think about it often, but when she did, it came back vividly…

---

“Clare.” Jane’s hiss cut through the silence of the night. The two of them were lying on their small cots in the “bedroom” of their shack. In reality, the bedroom was simply their two small beds pushed close together in the corner of the one-roomed shack. “Clare, are you still awake?

Clare let out a soft chuckle; she was always awake at this time of night. Sleep never seemed to come easily anymore, what with the constant fear of Death Eaters coming to take them for whatever the hell they wanted. “Yeah. Are you okay?” she asked her sister.

“I just can’t sleep.”

“Close your eyes and try,” Clare said soothingly. “Count hippogriffs or nifflers, or something.”

“I don’t know what they look like,” Jane muttered. It was quiet for a moment before Jane spoke again, sadness filling her voice. “I miss Mum and Dad.”

Clare turned on her side to face Jane. “Me, too.”

“I wish they were here,” Jane whispered, so softly that Clare had to strain to hear it.

“I know, love, but at least they’re alive,” Clare replied. “We’ll see them again someday.”

“Promise?”

“Promise,” Clare affirmed. Although Clare knew, if she was being honest with herself, that there was no way she could keep that promise. She didn’t even know if her parents were really alive. Only she and Jane had been taken from their old home, and their parents had been left alone, but who knew now? Still, Clare would take any chance she had to give Jane some hope.

Silence engulfed the room as Jane fell asleep, comforted. Clare, on the other hand, was still wide awake. There was no clock in the shack, but the crude window above Jane’s bed afforded Clare a view of the sky outside. Judging from the darkness, Clare guessed it was one in the morning, or somewhere close to it.

Suddenly, screams filled the stillness and Clare sat upright in her bed. Sounds of doors being broken down could be heard, and shouts of spells joined the fray soon enough.

“Jane!” Clare hissed. “Jane, get up now and go out the back door.”

Clare leaped out of her bed and bounded the small distance to her sister’s small form. Jane stirred quickly and stood up. “What do I do?” she asked.

“Sit outside the back door and hide behind the bushes. Stay quiet and as hidden as you can. I’ll tell them I live here alone “ that you died. They won’t double check, and they only need one person from each home, that’s the requirement. No one from Langley will be with the Death Eaters, and they’ll be none the wiser.”

“But what about you?” Jane asked, her voice trembling.

“Don’t worry, just leave,” Clare said. “Tomorrow go see if Mrs. Knightley managed to get out and stay with her.”

Jane wouldn’t move, and Clare could hear the Death Eaters making their way down the row of houses. Their shack was at the end of the line, but they would still be here soon. “Jane! Go, now!”

Her little sister gave a small sob and hugged Clare tightly. Clare felt tears slide down her own cheeks and onto the top of Jane’s head. She gave Jane a small push towards the back door and stood, waiting.

She wanted to hide with Jane, but if no one was there, the Death Eaters would get suspicious and check the backyard. The punishment from hiding was death, as serving the Dark Lord in some way was supposed to be an honor.

Finally, Jane was outside and hopefully well hidden. Clare swallowed deeply and turned to face the door. As she did, it flew open and three figures emerged.

“Ah, a pretty little girl,” one croaked, his voice deep. “You get to come with us.”

Clare knew arguing would do no good. She nodded and stepped forward.

“Obedience,” the other said. “A good quality in a servant girl.”

The third man chuckled darkly and grabbed Clare by the wrist. He pulled her close and ran a finger down her cheek. “No one else here with you?”

“No,” Clare said, her firm voice belying the fear shooting through her veins. “Just me.”

“Aren’t lying, are you?” the first man asked. “Because you know what we do to liars.”

“Just me,” Clare repeated.

“Very well,” the man holding her said. “Let’s go.”

They forced her out of the door and into the moonlit street. All around her, Clare could see her neighbors being struck and shoved to the cold ground. The men pushed her towards a spot in the center of the road, and stood over her as all the other people were herded that way too.

“All right, Mudbloods,” one of the Death Eater called. “It’s time to go someplace new. Maybe to the Dark Lord as his servant, or maybe to a pureblood’s house to be their servants. An honor, either way. Let’s go.”

Clare shut her eyes and thought of Jane. At least she would be safe. After a moment, Clare felt someone grab her hand and squeeze it tightly. It was her seventeen-year-old neighbor Emily. “It’ll be okay, Clare,” she whispered.

Clare nodded, because she didn’t trust herself to speak. She didn’t think Emily should be so sure.


---

“Watch where you’re going!” someone called, jostling Clare to the side.

With a start and a stumble, Clare realized she was at the market and not back at Langley. Her memories of that place, that night, were so vivid, that Clare had been caught up in the recollection and lost all sense of where she actually was. She shivered and brushed at her cheek “ a tear had escaped and broken through the wall she had worked hard to build.

“Keep it moving!” another voice cried, this time shoving Clare a little harder.

Clare swallowed and moved toward the vegetable stand. Better to get this done with. She selected and paid for what Mrs. Ashwood had asked for easily enough, although the line at the stand held her up for a while. Finally, after it was her turn, Clare moved to where the meat was being sold.

Purchasing the steaks had taken even longer than getting the vegetables, and Clare knew she needed to hurry if she wanted to get back to the manor on time. As she turned to find the path to take her home, she ran into someone, nearly losing her balance.

“I’m so sorry,” Clare said, fumbling with her packages.

“Don’t worry it’s my-” The girl paused. “Clare?”

“Emily?” Clare nearly dropped her purchases in shock. “Is that really you?”

Emily launched herself at Clare, squeezing their packages between them. “I’m so glad you’re okay!”

“I can’t believe it’s you!” Clare hadn’t imagined something like this happening. She had just been thinking of Emily and then here she was. “Where are you staying now?”

“The Lestrange Manor.” Emily’s face darkened, and for the first time, Clare noticed how thin her friend was and that there were bruises covering her arms. “You?”

“I’m working for the Ashwoods.”

“No time for talking, move it!” Suddenly, a person marched up to Clare and Emily and forced them apart. “You need to get going. Chatting looks to me like a conspiracy to escape.”

Clare sighed. “I still can’t believe it’s you. I hope you’re doing okay.”

Emily smiled darkly. “Well enough to get by. I hope I’ll see you around; take care,” she said, hugging Clare again. Then, as quickly as she had come, Emily waved and walked away.

Clare was left utterly alone in the crowded market. Gripping the food she had been required to buy, she hurried down the path that led to Ashwood Manor.

Though she was moving as quickly as she could, Clare knew that she had taken too long when the imposing mansion came into view. Clare wished she had been allowed to Apparate, but there had been no one who taught her at Langley, and no one who would care to teach her now.

As she moved up the walkway, she noticed Gavin sitting on the front lawn, leaning against a tree. He looked up as she went past, but Clare didn’t meet his eyes.

She reached the enormous front doors and, a sense of foreboding filling her, inched them open. Clare hoped desperately that no one had noticed she was late, but knew that wouldn’t be the case. Mrs. Ashwood had been specific about how much time she should take, and it was no one’s fault but Clare’s.

She had no sooner made it into the foyer than Mr. Ashwood appeared. “You, girl, are ten minutes late. I believe you had specific instructions on when to return, did you not?”

“I did, sir,” Clare replied, trying to keep fear from filling her voice. “I’m sorry, sir.”

“This sort of action will not be tolerated,” Mr. Ashwood said coldly, stepping closer to Clare.

“I understand, sir.” Clare braced herself for the strike that she knew would be coming shortly.

“Infractions have consequences, you know.” Mr. Ashwood moved closer still.

Clare opened her mouth to reply again, but was cut off.

“It was my fault, Father.”

Gavin’s voice took Clare by surprise, and she nearly gasped in her shock. She hadn’t noticed he had followed her inside.

“She was back on time; I simply held her up outside,” Gavin continued. “I needed her opinion on a matter, and didn’t think her important enough to be needed elsewhere.”

“Is this true?” Mr. Ashwood’s question was directed at Clare.

“Yes, sir,” Clare said, hoping that her lie was convincing enough.

“Very well,” Mr. Ashwood replied. “I expect that next time we won’t have any difficulties.”

“Yes, sir,” Clare affirmed, watching as Mr. Ashwood left the room.

When he was out of hearing range, Clare turned to face Gavin. “Thank you,” she said, relieved. “You didn’t have to do that; I shouldn’t have been late.”

“Don’t mention it. I owed you from the other night “ not the nicest I’ve ever been,” Gavin said ruefully. “I won’t be able to cover for you again, though. My father would be suspicious.”

“No, of course not.” Silence fell between them, and Clare shifted awkwardly from foot to foot. Finally, remembering she was still holding the food she had purchased, she said, “Well, I need to put these away.”

Gavin nodded. Then, smiling slightly, he said, “See you around, Clare.”

With that, he headed up the stairs, leaving Clare to walk in the opposite direction toward the kitchen wondering what on earth had just happened.