Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Thanks for the Memories by tiger_lily821

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I will be putting these in every so often to move the plot along a bit...sorry that they tend to be rather uneventful!
Just so you know, Lily's is in italics and James' is bold.





October 30, 1972

Dear Diary,



James asked me out again today. Ho hum; no surprises there. He’s been doing that daily for about two months. How desperate could you get?



I got my first perfect score in History of Magic yesterday! It was really only because I stole Binns’ notes with magic again, but I’m still proud of myself. I shared them with the girls, and they did really well too! Stealing from Binns is becoming something of a habit…



Halloween is tomorrow. Sort of funny; if I hadn’t gotten my letter I might have gone as a witch! There’ve been rumours that Dumbledore booked dancing skeletons! I wonder what that’ll be like. I expect it’ll be a bit creepy.



All right, I’ve been trying to avoid this. I have no idea what to do about James. Not one. At all.



He’s cute, I’ll give him that, but he’s a bit too shallow for me. All the same, I hate the look he gets when I turn him down. He looks like all the happiness and hope has been sucked from his life. I don’t want to give him false hope by saying yes, though.



Writing this down doesn’t make it any easier to think about.



L.E.











I don’t aim high. I want only two things this year:



1. for Binns to actually get my name right, and

2. to go out with Lily Evans.




Good luck with that, mate.



That was Sirius, who doesn’t understand the meaning of the word privacy.



But then again, maybe he’s right for a change. Don’t go getting a swelled head over that, Sirius, I said maybe. Maybe just getting Evans to consider me will be an accomplishment sufficient enough for this year. Seeing how she calls me something along the lines of an overdeveloped flobberworm every time I try, that could take some doing. Remus reckons I should do something special for her, like buy her Chocolate Frogs or write her a poem. Only thing is, I’m flat broke and I suck at poetry.



This is just my luck. The prettiest girl in the school is in my year and my House, and I still can’t go out with her.











November 11, 1972

Dear Diary,



James has stopped pestering me; thank God! I did catch him staring at me about fifty times in Defense Against the Dark Arts today. It’s actually getting on my nerves. I think I actually preferred it when he asked me out every day. He hasn’t pranked any classes for about two weeks, and I think this new change is my fault. I never thought I’d say this, but I miss his self-confident smile and his arrogant strut. I miss the old James and I don’t know how to get him back.



I need to get off this topic.



But I don’t want to.



L.E.











I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what to say. Whatever I do and say is wrong, so I’ve stopped trying. But however much I want to, I can’t forget her.



Jeez, mate, you said you suck at poetry!



Shut up, Sirius! This is my journal; that’s why it says JAMES POTTER on the front!



Touchy.



ANYWAY…



I haven’t given up hope yet. Today in DADA she caught my eye and I swear she smiled at me.



I have yet to figure out the puzzle that is Lily Evans.











November 28, 1972

Dear Diary,



I’ve finally made a decision about James. Kat, Arya and Mia say it’s about time because if they had to watch him flirt with me for much longer, they would be sick and/or leave the country.



If he can prove that he really does love me and isn’t just chasing after me for something to do, I’ll go out with him. Plain and simple. Even Potter can’t misunderstand that! Actually, I wouldn’t put it past him…



Potter. He practically stalks me! Every day it’s the same:



“Will you go out with me, Evans? Please?”



I wouldn’t ever consider telling him, but every time he asks I come closer to saying yes. And not just to get him to stay off my case.



L.E.











I got rejected again. This happens so often that I have the script memorized.



Act I



James walks up to Lily, who is doing her homework. Not a smart choice of timing, really, because she’s sure to be cross.



James: “Evans?”



Lily: “What, Potter?”



James: “Will you go out with me?”



Lily: (pauses to think of a term offensive enough for the occasion) “In your dreams, you moronic son of a bowtruckle!”



James: “Please? Just consider me?”



Lily: (miniscule pause) “All right, I’ve considered. No.”



James walks away, distraught. Lily is congratulated by dorm mates.





That’s how it goes. The moronic-son-of-a-bowtruckle thing was yesterday’s retort. Last week I was a spawn of the giant squid. And on my first attempt I was hopelessly dim-witted. I wonder how this girl thinks of these!



She’s clever. And creative. And beautiful. And I wish she was mine.



A/N: No, James being a (rather terrible) playwright is not important to the plot. At all.