Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

His Greatest Power by deej

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Harry says farewell to his aunt, and heads to the Burrow. he finds out how transparent he is with his emotions.

*
The sun was shining through the window as Harry woke up the next morning. Once again, he had slept through the night. He could get used to this. He was actually feeling somewhat rested. He rose from the bed, stretched his muscles, and did a few toe touches to limber up. Sleeping well did have the draw back of stiff muscles, but it was a great trade off.

After showering, he decided to shave as well. He still did not need to shave every day, but he wanted to look presentable for the day. After all, he was going to the Burrow today. Although he had never really worried about how he had looked going there before, he did today.

It’s because Ginny will be there, came the thought in his mind. He flushed a little at this thought. He had to admit, though, that this was the most logical explanation.

Following through with a thought from the night before, he wrote a quick note and sent it off with Hedwig toward Diagon Alley. He smiled when he thought of what she was going to order for him. He had also given her instructions that he would be at the Burrow and to return to him there.

He had packed most of his things the night before, but took the time to pack what was left before he put on his old trainers and headed down stairs.

As usual, Petunia was waiting with a cup of tea in her hand. She smiled sadly as he entered the room. He could see by the look that she really didn’t want him to go. He smiled back at her as he sat down to breakfast, and began to eat.

“Good morning, Aunt Petunia,” He said.

“Good morning, Harry. Did you sleep well?”

“Very well, thanks.”

They chatted for a few minutes before settling into a comfortable silence while he ate.

After a while, Petunia cleared her throat. “Harry, I got something for you. I hope you like it.” She had said this almost shyly.

Harry looked up to see her push a large, wrapped box across the table to him. That it surprised him was an understatement. All he could do was look at it for a minute.

“It won’t explode if you open it,” she said laughing a little.

His cheeks reddened as he reached up and started to open the box. Inside was something he never thought he would have given to him by any one from this house. It was a new outfit of clothes with the tags still on them. He looked at her with an open mouth.

“I couldn’t have you going off to meet your Ginny in Dudley’s old things now could I?” She said as he looked at her.

“I…I…um…Thank you”

“Eloquently spoken,” she said again with a laugh. “I guessed at the size. I hope they fit.”

“I’m sure they will be fine,” he replied.

The shirt was green, pull over, mock turtle neck style. The pants were black denim. He checked the labels and thought they would be close to fitting. In the box were also a black belt, and a new pair of black trainers. At the bottom was a pack of stationary and envelopes. It was a clear invitation to write to her.

He looked at her, again, with a question in her eyes.

“I haven’t bought you new clothes since you were two. I thought it was time I did. I hope you like them. I thought the green would bring out your eyes.”

“Thank you so much. It means a lot to me.”

“You’re welcome. Well, don’t just stand there, go try them on.”

He ran upstairs, changed out of the old hand-me-downs of Dudley’s, and then came back downstairs. He was surprised to see his aunt looking at him with what he could only discern as pride.

“You look very handsome.”

Once again, he blushed. He then walked over, and gave her a big hug. He didn’t say it, but the message was clear. He had forgiven her.

After he had pulled away from her, he grinned and said, “I got you something, too. It won’t be here until this afternoon. You may want to keep it in the attic, or my room. I don’t think Vernon would like it too much.”

“What, if I may ask, is it?”

His smile got bigger. “An owl and a book on how to care for it.”

“What...Why?”

“I want you to write to me as well.”

Tears sprang to her eyes, as she gave him a hug that almost matched Mrs. Weasley’s. “Thank you,” was all she could manage.

After they parted, he went upstairs and collected his trunk and Hedwig’s cage. Petunia walked him to the door, and gave him another hug.

“Be careful, and don’t forget to visit.”

“I won’t. By the way, my birthday is next week. If it is okay with Mrs. Weasley, would you like to come over for lunch?”

“I don’t know how to get there.” She replied hesitantly.

“Mrs. Figg can show you how.”

“I would like to.”

“Great, see you then.”

With that he walked out the front door to Mrs. Figg’s House.

* * *

The fireplace at the Burrow roared to life with green flames and Harry stepped out. Seeing the soot settle around him, he was glad he had remembered to wear his traveling cloak. After all it would be a shame to get his new clothes dirty within an hour after putting them on.

He looked around the living room of the house of the family he cared for more than any other in the world. In fact, the only place he felt more at home was Hogwarts. He really did love this house, and the people that lived here. It made his heart swell just to see the familiar sights and smell the familiar smells of this place. The furniture was old and lumpy, the paint was starting to peel off the walls, and the rug on the floor was threadbare, but he could see through all of that and knew the love that flowed through this place.

A smiling Mrs. Weasley came out of the kitchen to welcome him. After another world famous hug, she asked him if he was hungry.

“Always,” he said, beaming at her. “Of all of the things that could have rubbed off on me from Ron, it had to be his appetite, and not his chess skill.”

She laughed out loud at this and led him to the kitchen.

“I hope you don’t mind some left over lamb stew,” she said. “It’s just the two of us for a while, and I’m afraid I didn’t have time this morning to make a proper lunch.”

“That sounds great to me. I love your stew. Where is everyone today?”

“Ron is helping at the shop again, though I think the twins use him as a test subject more than anything else. They should all be back before supper tonight.”

“That sounds like them. Is Ginny helping them as well?” He tried not to sound too interested.

Mrs. Weasley looked at him a little too shrewdly. “No, she is visiting Luna Lovegood over at The Quibbler.”

Uh oh, he thought. I wonder if she knows something.

“I didn’t know Luna lived around here.” He said as a way of altering the topic.

“Yes, she and her dad live in the village. Ginny and she have known each other for years.”

After that, she and Harry spent some time just talking, mostly about the other family members. Bill was still working for Gingotts in London, and he and Fleur were becoming rather serious. Charlie was still in Romania, but was try to get on with a dragon preserve here in England. Percy still was not talking to the family, and avoided Mr. Weasley whenever they saw each other at the Ministry for Magic. Fred and George were doing well with their shop, and although they still called this house their home, they spent most nights in a flat above the shop.

“I still can’t figure out where they got the money to get started. They won’t tell a soul.”

Harry tried not to blush as she said this. He had not told anyone that he had given them the winnings from the Tri Wizard Tournament the previous year. He supposed the cat would be out of the bag sooner or later, but was not ready to tell anyone yet.

“They do seem to love what they are doing, though. I just wish they had finished school. It is no wonder they wanted to leave I guess. Ron and Ginny have told us how horrible it was for all of you this last year. I imagine they felt it was for the best, and they are making a good living. They are even talking of expanding.”

After a few more minutes of this, and another bowl of stew, Harry went to take his things up to Ron’s room. After he had everything stowed, he came back down.

“Mrs. Weasley?”

“Harry, I told you to call me Molly.”

“Okay, Molly, I wanted to thank you for checking up on me with my aunt. She had been great these last few weeks, but it is nice to know you cared.”

“Harry, you don’t have to thank me for that. I would do that for any of my kids. Even though you don’t have red hair, I still think of you almost as one of my own.”

Harry turned a light shade of red at this. Damn it! Why do I keep blushing lately?

“You have no idea how much that means to me, Molly.”

Molly blushed slightly at this.

“Why don’t you go out and get some fresh air? If you have the mind, maybe you could pick some vegetables from the garden for dinner tonight.”

“That sounds good. Any in particular you want?”

“Just some beans and carrots. Oh, and Harry?” she said as he turned to leave. “That outfit looks nice on you. I’ll bet the girls will like it, too.” At this she smirked at him.

This time his face turned a dark red.

“Remember, Harry. A mum always knows.”

With that he fled the room to the yard out back. As he left, he could hear her laughing.

* * *

After Harry brought the vegetables back in to Molly, he took a little stroll down to the pond. He sat on an old bench and just looked out over the water letting the coolness of the shade and the slight breeze wash over him. He hadn’t been outside all summer, and this felt wonderful. Before long, he dozed off, waking when he heard Molly calling for him. He had just started to dream of chasing a girl through the trees.

He hadn’t realized that he had slept that long out there. It was almost time for dinner and the rest of the family would be home soon. He got up, stretched, and wandered back up to the house.

It seems he had slept even longer than he thought as all four of the youngest Weasleys were now home.

“Hiya, mate.” Ron said as he shook Harry’s hand and slapped him on the back. The youngest Weasley boy looked very happy to see him.

“Harry, m’boy, how ya doing?” this was Fred, or maybe George, he always had a hard time telling them apart.

“What’s the news from muggle land?” The other asked. They both shook his hand warmly.

Last, but certainly not least, Ginny came up and gave him a little hug. “Hi, Harry. How are you?”

“Better now that I am here. It is good to see all of you. How long have you all been home?”

“We just got here. Mom was calling for you as we flooed in.” Ron joined in.

They all passed pleasantries for a while, and then Molly got everyone up. “Get washed, all of you. Your father will be home soon and dinner is almost ready. We’re having pork chops, mashed potatoes, beans and carrots, and for dessert, I baked an apple pie.”

With that being said, everyone rushed upstairs to wash and when they came back down stairs, Mr. Weasley was already sitting at the table. He got up and shook Harry’s hand then the whole family showed their appreciation for Molly’s cooking by eating as much as they could. It never failed to amaze Harry that she could prepare enough food to feed this lot.

As they ate, they all got caught up on their respective summers. Harry told them of the nice time at the Dursley’s. Ron sat with his mouth open at this. He couldn’t believe the change after listening to Harry complaining for the past five years.

At one point, without realizing it, he had started watching Ginny. It was like he was seeing her for the first time. He watched as she ate, thinking that he was a fool for not seeing how pretty she was before. All of the sudden, she looked at him and caught him staring. A curious look crossed her face as he tried to look like he was reaching for the potatoes to cover up. What he managed to do instead was put his hand in the butter dish. He blushed and looked around to see Molly looking at him with a smirk on her face. After that, he used all of his will power to not look at Ginny for more than a glance the rest of the meal.

After the dinner was finished, Harry helped gather the dishes from the table. While he was doing this, Molly stopped beside him.

“I guess turn about is fair play,” she said with a grin.

“Wha…What do you mean?” he asked.

“First she sticks her elbow in the butter during your first stay here, then tonight you do close to the same. What goes around, comes around.”

He tried to cover it up. “I’m not sure what you are talking about.”

“You know. Just so you know, I approve,” She whispered in a conspiring tone.

“You do?”

“Yes, Harry. I do.” She smiled gently at him.

“Thank you.”

With that, she started the dishes washing them selves and she and Harry joined the other in the living room.

As they entered, Fred and George jumped up, grabbed Harry, and started to lead him up to their room.

“We need to talk.”

“In private.”

“Um…alright” Harry was confused.

Ron yelled at them, “HEY! Don’t be too long, it’s been a while since I got to beat him at wizard’s chess.”

“Don’t worry, Ickle Ronnie, he will be back down in plenty of time for his defeat.”

“What makes you think I will lose?” Harry said with a little indignation.

This time it was Ginny who piped up with a sad shake of her head, “Harry, we have been watching you get beaten by Ron for years. It's become a tradition, and you don't mess with tradition?”

Harry did a reasonable impression of a fish on dry land as his mouth slowly opened and closed several times. This caused the whole house to bust out in laughter. The twins could hardly stand as they led Harry upstairs.

After they entered the twin’s bedroom, they cast a locking charm and a silencing charm on the door.

“Harry, we need to talk business,” Fred said.

“We need to go over with you how the place is doing,” George said.

“What do you mean? Why go over it with me?”

Fred, “Well, you are our benefactor.”

George, “And that gives you the right to twenty percent of the profit.”

Fred, “That is assuming there is a profit.”

George, “And assuming we haven’t spent your portion trying to get the attention of the ladies.”

Fred, “Unfortunately, with George’s ugly mug, that takes a lot of money.”

George, “And the same goes for Fred. He chases them away faster than Ron to a buffet.”

“Wait a minute guys. What are you talking about? I didn’t do that to get a cut. I don’t want a percent of the take.”

“Ah, we thought you would say that, didn’t we Fred?”

“Yes, we did, George”

“That is why, without your knowing it, we have been putting the money into your account all along.”

“You will find, that your Gingotts account will keep getting bigger as time goes by.”

“And as you told us when you gave us the money,”

“We don’t want it, and we will be offended if you don’t take it.”

Harry just sat there shaking his head. The generosity of this family was truly amazing.

“Okay, okay, I give. How much money have I made so far?”

“5000 galleons give or take a few.”

Harry could only shake his head more.

After filling Harry in on all of the details, they said it was time to go back downstairs.

Harry stopped them.

“Guys I want to talk to you about something,” he said quietly. “I need to be serious with you for a minute.”

They looked at each other. Even though they were jokesters, they knew when to calm it down.

“What is it?” They said together.

“I have been doing a lot of thinking over the summer. I was not in the best of shape at the onset.”

They nodded, not sure where this was going.

“One of the things I felt worst about was the fact that I never told Sirius how I felt about him. I decided I would not let that happen again. One of the things I decided to do was to tell the people that I care about how I feel about them. You guys get to be the first on that list.”

“Oh, no. Don’t tell me you’re going to get all mushy on us,” Fred said with a swoon.

“Or worse yet, all romantic,” replied George.

Harry laughed a little. “Maybe a little mushy, but definitely not romantic. Look, you guys have always been there for me. You were the ones to help me load my trunk during my first trip to Hogwart’s, you introduced me to my best friend. You made me feel better during the whole ‘Heir of Slytherin’ episode a few years ago. I have been the butt of many of your jokes, and a co-conspirator on some others.”

“What I am trying to say is that I think the world of you guys. You are like family to me. I have often thought of you as being like the cousins you always want to visit because they always keep it fun. What I’m trying to say is… I love you guys.”

The twins just sat there dumbfound for a few seconds. Harry thought that was only time he had seen them silenced.

“He was right,” George said after a minute. “It was mushy..”

“But not romantic.”

“Yeah, thank Merlin.”

“Just save the romantic stuff.”

They finished together, “for our sister.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Yes you do.”

“We saw your hand in the butter dish.”

“And we saw what caused it.”

“And just so you know..”

“We love you too, Harry.”

With that, they headed back downstairs where certain defeat waited for Harry at the hand of his best friend.