Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Kingsley began taking them towards the main entrance, but not before offering to give them a brief tour of the Ministry of Magic. They had been here a few times before; all of them having been there when they stormed the Ministry three years before and less than a year ago Ron, Hermione and Harry had been there trying to steal back a Horcrux from Dolores Umbridge. Kingsley took special note to show them what was, by far, the most massive library any of them had seen.

The walls were lined with shelves and shelves of books. There was one witch present who clearly was the librarian. She nodded politely at Kingsley before going back to organising books and documents into their proper places. As with the rest of the Ministry of Magic, there seemed to be no end to the depths of knowledge that was held within the library walls. Rows of file cabinets flanked the librarian’s desk and there was a form that a nearby wizard was filling out and the information he had requested popped up in front of the file cabinets.

The library was richly decorated. The walls were painted a deep red and the paintings on the wall had gilded, ornate frames. There were busts along each row heading and the inscriptions underneath were of famous wizards. Each of their memorable achievements was detailed underneath their respective busts.

Hermione showed no restraint walking through the rows and rows of books while Kingsley explained the various sections in passing detail. Ron and Harry exchanged amused glances as they watched Hermione drag Ginny to look over different books. Ginny tried to show some interest, but studying was paramount to Hermione alone.

Kingsley motioned to various objects describing the magical significance, but only Hermione was able to take it all in. Every previous Minister of Magic had a painting on display and some took note of Harry. Cornelius Fudge looked directly at him and said quietly, ‘Thank you.’

Harry was taken aback by the comment, but turned to see Hermione gesturing animatedly towards him. He sighed and walked over to her while Kingsley had grabbed Ron’s and Ginny’s attention. Hermione had a book open and said, ‘I think I’ve found something – I mean, something you wanted.’

She said it with a very knowing, Hermione-ish look. He looked at the book and it had a host of protection charms and how to bind them to various magical objects. Hermione looked at him smugly. ‘I knew I’d be able to find something. I’m so glad Kingsley showed us the library!’

Harry smiled. ‘Yeah, Ron and I figured if he did, this would convince you not to go back to Hogwarts this fall.’

Hermione gave him a strange look. ‘Well, I don’t know, Harry. We never actually finished school, but there is such a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips if I were here.’

She seemed to be thinking about it and Harry looked around for a scrap of parchment or something to write upon, but Hermione pulled one out of her bag along with a quill, and started scribbling the information down. She shook her head. ‘I really don’t know how you and Ron expect to get along without me!’

Harry squeezed her shoulder. ‘I think Ron was planning on keeping you around, but I thought you already knew that.’

She blushed and laughed. ‘That isn’t quite what I meant!’

Kingsley had noticed Harry’s and Hermione’s absence and walked over. ‘You’ve found some interesting texts, Ms. Granger?’

She nodded sweetly and placed the book back. ‘This is truly amazing. I feel like every book I could ever need is here at my beck and call.’

Kingsley nodded. ‘Almost literally. When you begin working here,’ Hermione raised her eyebrows at his insinuation that she would take the job. ‘You will be privy to all kinds of information; the best part being that once you’re here for a bit, you’ll learn how to isolate what you need more quickly.’

Hermione could have stayed there all day, but much to everyone else’s relief, Kingsley motioned them out the door and said, ‘I’d like to show you one other place, the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, which I think will interest the rest of you more, perhaps.’

They ascended a staircase and arrived at a sign marked ‘Auror Office’ in dark black against a pair of wooden double doors. Kingsley smiled. ‘Normally you would need to be a member of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, but as you’re with me, we can all enter.’

He knocked on the door once and both doors creaked open. The hallway beyond was dimly lit and there was no sign of life. Ginny leaned closer to Harry as Kingsley ushered them in. Hermione showed little restraint and walked in curiously with Ron following close behind. Harry smiled at Ginny and took her hand as they walked in.

Kingsley led them down the hallway. ‘Many of these offices belonged to various Aurors, but things have been a bit difficult recruiting-wise and we’ve lost quite a few valuable members of our staff. I am hoping to introduce you to one Auror who I know should be in.’

The hallway started to adjust lighting automatically, giving them more light as they proceeded down the hallway. The door they stopped in front of had a plaque to one side. Printed on the plaque in white letters was the name Alphard Gaunt. Kingsley knocked on the door and a muffled voice replied, ‘Come in.’

Harry didn’t know what to expect, but he could tell the others were as apprehensive as he was. The office was much larger than the door indicated it would be. The office had a simple set-up. There was a filing cabinet to one side of the door and a coat rack on the other. A small credenza was near the coat rack and there was a tea kettle whistling softly.

The desk across the door was made of a rich mahogany and the man behind it sat up abruptly. ‘Minister – you should have told me you were bringing guests!’

Harry couldn’t quite tell if this man was pleased to see him, but he moved around the desk to greet them all. Kingsley shook his hand warmly. ‘May I present to you, Alphard,’ he motioned to the four, ‘Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron and Ginny Weasely.’

They each shook his hand in turn. Harry noticed he had a rather firm but distant handshake. Alphard was a tall man, rather thin, his clothes seemed to be hanging off of him, not unlike Remus Lupin’s used to. He wore heavy brown-coloured robes and his shoes had scuffs on them. Harry noticed his eyes were a rather dark brown, almost so dark he couldn’t discern the colour.

Alphard smiled politely at all of them and turned his attention back to Harry and then, to Harry’s surprise, Ginny. He seemed increasingly put off by the visit, but Kingsley smiled genuinely. ‘I’m not keeping you from anything, am I?’

Alphard shook his head. ‘No, of course not, Minister, just a lot of paperwork to get through. Processing a lot of documentation now that we’ve rounded so many Death Eaters up. It’s a pleasure to meet all of you.’ He gave Harry an overly warm smile. ‘The famous Harry Potter.’

Harry smiled awkwardly. ‘It’s a pleasure to meet you, sir.’

He cut any other pleasantries off and said, ‘I had hoped I would get to meet you, I don’t mean to put you on the spot, but having dealt with a lot of people who don’t quite care for you, how does it feel?’

Harry tried not to balk openly at his candour, but said confidently, ‘Spectacular.’

It was a simple answer and Hermione gave Harry a curious look and said quietly, ‘How long have you been with the Ministry, Mr. Gaunt?’

Alphard had a strange look on his face and then smiled broadly. ‘That was the last thing I expected you to say.’ He continued, ignoring Hermione’s comment, and walked around the office to his desk, shuffling through various pieces of paper.

Hermione looked nervously at Kingsley who just smiled. Alphard emerged from his desk with a tattered news clipping. Harry looked at it sceptically and tried to discern what it said; Alphard handed it to him. ‘I can finally stop holding onto this.’

Harry didn’t reach his hand out, but curiosity had gotten the better of Ginny and she reached out and gave a gasp. ‘Harry! This is you!’

Harry pulled his gaze from Alphard to look at what Ginny was holding. Indeed it was a news article of him, as a child, with the now repetitive headline, ‘The Boy Who Lived!’

Harry sighed. ‘Why are you giving this to me? Why did you even keep it?’

Alphard looked hard at Hermione. ‘I’ve been here since the first war. I was here when the Ministry investigated your parents’ death. I was there – and this has fuelled me. All my life, like many wizards I suppose, have wanted nothing more than to see Voldemort destroyed, brought to bear the burden he brought upon himself. And here you stand, triumphant again.’

His demeanour had changed dramatically in those short minutes and Ron edged forward. ‘You don’t look nearly old enough to have worked here that long.’

He shook his head. ‘I assure you I am much older than I might appear. I am sure Ms. Granger can give you great instruction on preserving yourself magically.’

Hermione turned, surprised at his comment. ‘I’m sorry, I’d know about what?’

He smiled a wicked half-smile, ‘I’ve been following your exploits for a long time, Harry. You and your closest friends have been of the greatest interest. I never dared intercede, but I always hoped you’ll succeed.’

Harry replied quietly, ‘Did you know my parents?’

He shook his head. ‘Never had the pleasure.’

Kingsley stepped forward. ‘I don’t want to take up any of your time, but I thought it would convince you that there are good people here at the Ministry. There are those here fighting the good fight for a long time. It won’t be the same Ministry it was – and I hope I can count on all of you in the very near future.’

Alphard was brimming but restrained himself, going back to his subdued mannerisms. ‘Of course, Minister.’

Harry looked curiously at him again and smiled, gesturing towards the door. ‘Thank you for having us.’

The words had come out slowly, and Ron was out the door before any more could be said. Alphard watched them walk down the hallway and said nothing. No one said anything as Kingsley led them down the dark hallway and out the main entrance of the Ministry of Magic. He re-asserted his offer and they all nodded politely, bidding him farewell and thanking him for his courtesy.