Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I want to thank everyone that is continuing to read this story - I am pushing chapters through as quickly as I can, but I've got twice as many chapters up at flannelfiction then I can get up here, there is a link in my profile. Thanks to my lovely Beta Ginny Guerra!

Harry and Ginny landed soundly outside of the Burrow. Harry could just make out Ron’s lanky figure in front of them heading into the house, while Hermione appeared to be waiting for them. Hermione gave them a worried look and said quietly, ‘I guess we’ll have to see what that was all about.’

Ginny nodded. ‘I’ve never seen Percy do anything like that. He’s not just acting strangely, he’s not acting like himself at all!’

Harry looked between the two of them. ‘You don’t think George did something to him, do you?’

Ginny shook her head emphatically. ‘No, he would never. Would he?’

She looked from Harry to Hermione, but neither said anything. Hermione shrugged. ‘I think its pretty clear we don’t know any of your brothers that well, Ronald included.’

She said Ron’s name with emphasis and Harry put his hand on her shoulder. ‘You two really worry me.’

Hermione pulled away from him and gave him a sharp look. ‘Harry, please.’

Ginny said quietly, ‘Come on, Hermione – you and Ron care a lot about each other, don’t pretend you don’t!’

Hermione gave her a disbelieving look. Harry sighed. ‘Why don’t we go inside before Mrs. Weasley comes out here and hollers at us for being late.’

Ginny nodded and put her arm through Hermione’s, leading her back to the house, with Harry following close behind. ‘You know, Hermione, I’m really glad you’ve been spending so much time here this summer. I’m sure I can speak for the whole family, having you and Harry here is making all of us more at ease, despite my insane, dysfunctional brothers.’

Harry stifled a laugh as Hermione grinned and shook her head. ‘Harry, you’d better keep a good hold on this one.’ She jovially shook Ginny’s arm. ‘She seems to often know the right thing to say!’

Harry smiled and snuck closer. ‘I know – I am doing my level best to keep her interested!’

Ginny laughed. ‘Harry! I am interested, very interested.’

She gave him a sultry smile and Harry couldn’t contain himself; jogging forward and wrapping his arms around Ginny’s waist, pulling her away from Hermione. She shrieked with laughter as Harry kissed her as close to her neck as he could reach. Hermione laughed at the two of them and smiled. ‘You two are really inseparable!’

Ginny wrenched herself around and wrapped her arms around Harry’s neck, kissing him lovingly. Harry felt himself smiling into her lips and pulled her closer, though he could distantly hear Hermione’s laughter. Ginny pulled his face close to hers breaking their kiss and whispered quietly into his ear, ‘I think Hermione might be onto us.’

He laughed and whispered back, ‘Onto us? Is there something for her to figure out?’

She laughed and put her hands on his arms, pushing the two of them apart. Harry gave her a lop-sided smile and she gave him a broad smile before turning her back on him and joining Hermione as she walked towards the front door of the Burrow. Harry sighed and ran to catch up, pulling the bag out of Hermione’s hands and carrying it for her. She smiled at him and said quietly, ‘Very well trained, Ginny. Thank you, Harry.’

Harry blushed a little and Ginny shot him a smile that kept his attention. The front door to the Burrow flew open and Harry almost dropped Hermione’s books as Mrs. Weasley called out to them, ‘There you all are! I was getting worried Ron had left you in London!’

Ginny shook her head as she and Hermione walked forward. She replied sweetly to her mother, ‘No, mum. We were just chatting outside.’

Mrs. Weasley smiled at all of them. ‘Looks like you’ve done quite a bit of shopping, Harry!’

Harry started to argue but Hermione broke in, ‘No, Mrs. Weasley. Harry was being kind enough to carry them for me.’

Mrs. Weasley looked at her inquisitively. ‘And where was Ron during all of this?’

Hermione blanched. Ginny said quietly, ‘He stormed into the house a bit ago, didn’t you see him?’

Mrs. Weasley nodded, giving Hermione a worried look. ‘He did. I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t another row.’

Hermione looked nervously at the ground but Ginny continued, ‘Don’t be silly, mum. There was no row between any of us and Ron – he just wanted to get inside to clean up.’

Mrs. Weasley didn’t seem convinced by this explanation, but replied, ‘Well, I’ll have dinner ready shortly. Hermione, dear, there’s a letter for you from your parents.’

Hermione shot Ginny and Harry a nervous look. Ginny ushered her forward. ‘Go get the letter, Harry and I will wait for you in the sitting room after we put your books in my room.’

Hermione hurried after Mrs. Weasley into the kitchen. Ginny started up the stairs with Harry close behind her. He would have liked to have his arms free, but Hermione must have bought shelves and shelves of books. He wasn’t sure how she had carried them. Ginny opened her door quickly and Harry placed the bag on Hermione’s bed.

Ginny sighed and sat down on her bed. Harry gave her a garish smile and put his hands on either side of her, leaning over her, kissing her hungrily. She giggled into his shoulder as he continued kissing her all over. She wrapped her arms around him and pulled him lower as she stretched out across the bed. Harry felt himself letting go of his inhibitions and slowly pulled himself away, lying next to her with his hand comfortably on her hip. She raised her eyebrows at him and he said quietly, ‘I don’t want to rush anything, but you are utterly irresistible!’

She blushed and sat up. ‘You’re quite fetching yourself, dear.’

He leaned down and kissed her on the cheek. ‘We’d better head downstairs before I lose my senses and snog you senseless…and a bit more.’

He got up and helped her up. She laughed quietly. ‘I don’t think I’d mind that, but my parents and my brothers might take some offence.’

Harry and Ginny found Hermione in the sitting room engrossed in the letter from her parents. She didn’t appear to hear them come in and Ginny gave Harry a nervous look before sitting down next to Hermione and putting a hand on her shoulder. ‘Are they alright?’

Hermione shook her head and didn’t say anything at first. She clutched the letter tightly and neither Ginny nor Harry dared try to read it while she was in such a state. She breathed out slowly and said, ‘I can’t be sure, but I probably should head back and be with them. I think those memory charms had some lasting effect. I really can’t tell.’

She looked panicked and Ginny wrapped her arm around Hermione, hugging her. ‘If you have to go, you should. I mean, they are your parents – and if they need you, then you should be with them.’

Hermione gave her a nervous look, her eyes brimming. Harry broke in, sitting on the other side of Hermione. ‘No, Hermione, Ginny is right – if your parents need you, you have to go. Don’t worry about anything. And if you need one of us to go with you, we’ll do it gladly.’

He rubbed her back gently as she looked down at the letter, wringing it nervously in her hands. Harry looked over at Ginny and she nodded in response, looking towards the stairs. Harry gave Ginny an anxious look and then said quietly, ‘Do you want me to go get Ron?’

Hermione gave him a sharp look. ‘No, don’t bother. Ronald seems occupied otherwise and doesn’t trust me anyway!’

Ginny started to argue, but bit her tongue and said, ‘How soon do you want to leave?’

Hermione looked around and shrugged nervously. ‘I think I should go soon, now, if I can pack quickly enough. I don’t know how long this letter was in transit’

Harry nodded and got up. ‘Do you need us to help you pack?’

Hermione shook her head. ‘No, I…no, I haven’t really got that much to take. I’m going home, after all…I’ll just grab a few things and Apparate home.’

Before Harry or Ginny could say anything, Hermione rushed up the stairs and they both heard Ginny’s bedroom door open. Harry looked over at Ginny and sat down near her, closing the distance between them. He said quietly, ‘Should we still tell Ron? If he knows that we knew and didn’t tell him…’

Ginny shook her head and leaned her head on his shoulder. ‘I don’t know – you know them as well as I do. I think we should respect Hermione’s wishes. Besides, no one is keeping Ron locked up.’

Harry sighed and reached his arm around Ginny’s shoulders, nuzzling and kissing her neck. ‘I can’t argue with you.’

They sat quietly for a while before Hermione rushed down the stairs with her rucksack pulled close to her shoulder. She gave them an anxious look and handed Harry an envelope. ‘This should do what you need it to.’ She gave him a knowing look and then continued, ‘Ginny, tell Ron…’ She struggled, wringing her hands. ‘I don’t know – tell him I’ll be back when I can.’

Ginny got up quickly and embraced her friend. ‘Are you sure you want to go alone? Please send us an owl or a Patronus letting us know you’ve arrived safely.’

Harry gave Hermione a quick hug and smiled. ‘I’m sure they’re fine – don’t worry.’

Hermione gave them one last look and said, ‘I’ll be back when I can, take care of yourselves!’

She headed out the door and with a crack Disapparated on the spot. Ginny and Harry watched for a moment before Harry gently pulled Ginny back into the house and shut the door. Mrs. Weasley came into the room and gave them a questioningly look. Ginny retold her mother what little she could discern from the letter and told her Hermione had left, but would return as soon as she could. Mrs. Weasley looked nervous but Ginny assured her most people wouldn’t even know where Hermione had gone.

Mrs. Weasley shook her head. ‘After that long talk with Kingsley and she pays no heed – and here I thought she was the smart one!’

Harry exchanged a worried look with Ginny. ‘Mrs. Weasley, you don’t think it’s a trap, do you?’

She turned around abruptly. ‘I don’t know, Harry. I think we might just have to wait for her to arrive safely, or not. Give her a few hours and I’m sure we’ll know.’

Ginny looked anxious and Harry knew his face reflected the same concern. How could they have been so imprudent? They should have insisted on going with her or forced Ron to go. Ginny walked over to the stairs and gave Harry a beckoning look. He followed her up the stairs in silence, stopping at Ron’s door. Ginny knocked lightly and the door opened slowly, a dishevelled, but recently-showered Ron gave them an exasperated then confused look. ‘Why are there only two of you? Where’s Hermione?’

Ginny started to say something, but Harry broke in, ‘She left. She got a letter from her parents. She was pretty torn up –’

Ron didn’t let him finish. ‘And you just let her leave? And you didn’t come get me?’

Ginny shot back, ‘No one was forcing you to stay up here! Don’t get cross with us because you were in the middle of yet another row with Hermione!’

Ron narrowed his eyes and retorted, ‘I wasn’t having a row with Hermione. I had a row with our dear bother and wanted to wash that stench off.’

He gave them both a nasty look and continued, ‘She went home? I better go then.’

Ginny looked at Harry and he said quietly, ‘Maybe you should let her have some time with her family. Based on what she said, they may be cross with her and you being there may not make things better. Besides, you don’t know where they are either.’

Ron didn’t appear to be believing it and said, ‘I can send her a Patronus and let her know I’m thinking about her and…’

He left the comment unfinished and Ginny nodded. ‘Sure, Ron. I mean, yeah, of course you can do that.’

Ron gave them another disdainful look before heading out the door and down the stairs. Ginny gave Harry a sad look. ‘I guess we should have told Ron before she left.’

Harry said, ‘No, I don’t think we did anything wrong. She wanted to go as quickly as possible.’

Ginny replied, ‘But at least he could have gone with her, made sure she was safe!’

Harry stifled a laugh. ‘Ginny, this is Hermione we’re talking about. She kept Ron and me undetectable for most of last year. If something isn’t right, she’ll be back here in no time.’

He reached out and took her hand in his, leading her towards the door. She smiled and followed him down the stairs. A bright, blue light was emitting from the kitchen as they approached it and they both walked cautiously forward. A brightly-lit otter was speaking quietly, but clearly to Ron. The Patronus disappeared as they approached and Ron seemed more upset, instead of less. Ginny and Harry exchanged a nervous look before Ginny asked, ‘Is she okay?’

Ron nodded his head. ‘She got there safely, and her parents are there; and giving her a hard time.’ He studied his shoes closely and dug his hands deep into his pockets. ‘She asked me not to come or anything…and she wanted me to tell you two she’s fine.’

Ginny rubbed Ron’s arm. ‘Don’t worry, Ron. She’ll be back. She didn’t tell you where she was?’

He shook his head and didn’t say anything. Mrs. Weasley had been watching the whole scene and shook her head sadly. ‘I knew you all shouldn’t have gone out. Nothing good can come of being away from these protections.’

Ginny gave her mother a tired look. ‘Mum, we can’t stay here, hidden, forever. Besides, you and George are leaving soon anyway. Then what?’

Mrs. Weasley didn’t have an answer and Ron sat down heavily at the kitchen table. Harry and Ginny sat down next to Ron while Mrs. Weasley bustled around the kitchen making dinner.

Mrs. Weasley turned around and asked, ‘How was everything in London? Did you all have a nice time? Did you get to see George or Percy?’

Ron looked in no state to answer and Ginny shrugged in response. ‘We had a nice time. Kingsley told us some…interesting things. We’re all just taking it in. Poor Hermione has more to deal with than she needs.’

Mrs. Weasley nodded. ‘Yes, that poor dear. But you all should be expecting your letters from Hogwarts soon?’

Harry nodded. ‘I wonder who will be named Captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team?’

Ginny rolled her eyes. ‘That’s what you’re worried about? Oh come on, Harry! You already said you weren’t going back! I bet Ron won’t either.’

Ron shook his head, perking up. ‘Me and more school? I was glad to not go back last year!’

Ginny laughed. ‘Well, I’m so glad both of you have your priorities straight!’

The conversation died down and dinner consisted only of Mrs. Weasley, Ron, Harry and Ginny. Ron seemed despondent and headed for bed shortly after dinner was finished, leaving Harry and Ginny to clean up. Harry felt guilty they were out all day and wanted to help out. Ginny didn’t care for the extra work, but didn’t mind having some alone time with Harry.

As they were putting the dishes away, they began talking idly about the days activities. Harry tried to sound nonchalant as he asked, ‘Any idea what that row was between Ron and Percy?’

Ginny turned around abruptly and gave him a worried look. ‘I wish Ron would have said something, but now he’s too consumed with Hermione to even think about it. I’ve never seen Percy stand up, physically, to anyone, let alone Ron!’

Harry nodded. ‘I hate to say it, Ginny. But everyone is acting so strangely. I feel like I know your family pretty well, but Percy fighting Ron – that’s unreal!’

Ginny nodded, putting the last of the plates back and walking over to the table, straightening the chairs out. ‘I think you can ask him later, if he isn’t already asleep. Even if he tells you, I doubt there’s much he’ll do about it. Ron won’t let this bother him with Hermione gone.’

Harry replied, ‘Maybe that’s where we should start? Talk to him about Hermione and see if we can’t get further along to your brothers?’

Ginny gave Harry a curious look. ‘You seem really interested in this, any particular reason why?’

He was surprised and replied, ‘Because its affecting you! So…’

He gestured helplessly and Ginny smiled. ‘I didn’t mean to question your motives, Harry. It’s just, this is such a disaster. You could just block it out and go forward with your life.’

Harry balked at her. ‘Ginny, I wish you would give me just a little more credit. I’m really trying to be the boyfriend you need.’

Harry had turned away from her and looked down the hallway. He wasn’t enjoying this conversation and didn’t hear Ginny walk up behind him. She wrapped her arms around his waist and leaned up, whispering in his ear, ‘Harry, please don’t be angry with me. I think you’re being a fantastic boyfriend. I just feel like everything about me is one big distraction.’

Harry turned around and locked his eyes with hers. ‘Ginny, please, stop saying that. I’m here for you when you need me, and if you don’t need me…’ He shrugged and continued, ‘Then you don’t.’

He had taken a step back from her and she walked over pushing him roughly. ‘You know what? Fine. Good night.’

She turned her back on him and stormed up the stairs. Harry heard her door slam shut and stood there, stunned for a moment before taking one last look around the kitchen and quietly heading to Ron’s room. He didn’t think it would be wise to confront Ginny now and decided a good night’s rest would do them all a bit of good.