Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Harry had found Ron fast asleep when he got to his room and got ready for bed quietly, not wanting to dwell on the argument he’d just had with Ginny. He smiled to himself, thinking how opposite his relationship with Ginny was as compared to Ron’s relationship with Hermione. He felt like his rows with Ginny were more real, more heart-wrenching and more confusing.

He fell asleep feeling very cold and wishing he had taken the time to talk calmly with her instead of letting her go to sleep angry. Having anyone who he cared about so much going to sleep angry with him was something he shouldn’t have allowed.

Harry woke suddenly in the dark of the night; he was sure it was well past midnight and pulled his glasses on quickly to see Ron’s bed empty. He sat up sharply and grabbed his robe, stuffed his feet into his slippers and headed down the stairs, thinking he’d find Ron in the kitchen. He passed Ginny’s room slowly, wondering if she was awake, but thought it would be better not to bother her. Once he reached the bottom floor and saw no light in the kitchen, he noticed the front door slightly ajar and headed cautiously towards it. He cursed himself for not grabbing his wand but quickly saw a slumped-over Ron on the front porch and ran out.

Ron jumped at seeing Harry. ‘Blimey! Harry, what are you doing up?’

Harry put his hands in the pockets of his robe to keep warm and replied, ‘I was worried. You weren’t in your bed and I thought you’d gone off somewhere or something.’

Ron sighed and shrugged. ‘I really screwed up with her today, didn’t I?’

Harry gave Ron a quizzical look. ‘With Hermione? No, mate, she cares about you. Don’t be stupid, you two are meant for each other.’

Harry felt himself laughing and caught Ron giving him a nasty look. ‘You know, I try to contain myself with you and my sister, the least you could do is take me and Hermione seriously.’

Harry shook his head. ‘That isn’t what I meant.’ He stopped and turned away. ‘Look Ron, I didn’t mean anything by it. You two are my best mates. I just wish you wouldn’t row so much. I feel like you two snog more than you talk.’

Ron replied tartly, ‘Is that a fact? You have it all worked out then?’

Harry shook his head angrily, his voice rising. ‘No, I don’t. I row with your sister too. But I know I care about her. I don’t want you messing around with Hermione. She’s like my sister.’

Ron stood up, facing Harry. ‘Are you saying I don’t care about Hermione?’

Harry shrugged, not wanting to get into an argument. ‘Look, why don’t we just drop it, okay? I don’t know what your feelings are for Hermione. Hell, maybe they are none of my business.’

Ron didn’t seem appeased but stepped back. He gave Harry one more look before turning back around. ‘While you’re out here, maybe you can give me a hand with something.’

Harry nodded, glad for the change in subject. The sky had opened up slight, the moon peaking through the clouds and a slight drizzle had started. Harry stepped closer to the doorway and crossed his arms tightly around himself.

Ron started slowly. ‘I know Hermione isn’t happy with me. You know I didn’t mean anything at lunch. I want to…well, I want to send her a message. But not by owl, that’s so…common…and with our trying to work for the Ministry…’

Harry said quietly, ‘You want to send her a Patronus?’

Ron nodded looking down at the floor. ‘Yeah, mate, you know, tell her I’m here for her, will be there for her whenever she wants me to be.’

Harry smiled. ‘That is one way to get her attention. But do you really think sending her a Patronus isn’t going to get her into more trouble with her parents?’

Ron replied sadly, ‘That’s the same conclusion I came to…but then, should I have replied earlier?’

Harry nodded. ‘Probably.’

Ron sighed disgustedly. ‘I am a horrible boyfriend.’

Harry replied, ‘I’m sure you’re not. She sent you that Patronus earlier for a reason. She could have sent it to me or Ginny, but she didn’t. She sent it to you. She knew you’d be worried about her.’

‘Well, do you think you can give me the gist of adding the talking to my Patronus?’ Ron looked helpless and Harry tried not to smile thinking about Ron’s study habits.

Harry said quietly, ‘Its rather simple. I mean, you know how to create your Patronus, right?’

Ron nodded and Harry continued, ‘You just have to think of the happiest moment that you can think of, then think of what you want to say and who you want to say it to, then produce the Patronus.’

Ron shook his head, laughing. ‘You make it sound so easy! This is beyond anything I’ve tried!’

Harry laughed and said, ‘Here I’ll show you how.’ He reached for his wand and realised he didn’t have it. ‘Well, maybe not.’

‘Could you two please keep it down!’ Both Harry and Ron jumped at the exasperated tone from Ginny. She was wrapped warmly in her bath robe, but the darkened night made the colours deepen, making her more stunning in Harry’s eyes.

Ron looked sheepishly at Ginny. ‘I didn’t realise we were being so loud.’

Ginny stayed close to the door and replied, ‘Well, you were. I’m surprised mum isn’t out here right now. You both are going to catch cold in this rain!’

Harry looked at her apologetically. ‘We’re staying relatively dry.’

He took a step towards her but she crossed her arms and gave him a hard look. He didn’t let her dissuade him and walked over, putting a hand on her arm. She still didn’t smile. He leaned closer to her and whispered, ‘I’m sorry. Forgive me?’

She shook her head and leaned forward, whispering back, ‘Only if you forgive first.’

He kissed her on the cheek. ‘I can’t ever stay angry with you. Just give me a chance to be a better boyfriend?’

She put her hand over his and nodded, smiling. Ron cleared his throat loudly. ‘Could you two stop it? Is that even possible?’

Ginny looked around Harry and smiled. ‘Yes, Ron. So what were you two yelling about?’

Harry shook his head. ‘We weren’t really yelling, Ron just asked me for some help with something.’

Ron stood up. ‘Yeah, I bet even Ginny could do a Patronus charm!’

Ginny gave Harry a questioning look. ‘Of course I can, but so can you.’

Harry put a hand on her shoulder. ‘No, he wants to send Hermione one.’

Ginny nodded. ‘Oh, hmm, that is a bit tougher. I think I have an idea though.’

She pulled her wand out and Harry exclaimed, ‘I thought you said you didn’t go to bed with your wand!’

She laughed. ‘I don’t! I was coming down here to see what was going on!’

She gave Harry a gentle nudge. ‘Now stand back.’ She appeared to be concentrating hard and then called out clearly, ‘Expecto Patronum!’

A white stallion came galloping out of the end of Ginny’s wand and ran forward a half a dozen metres before turning around and saying in Ginny’s voice to Harry, ‘Maybe we should let Ron practice alone and get some rest.’

The stallion disappeared and Ron gave Ginny a sardonic look. ‘Oh, very funny, Ginny. Great, even my little sister is better than I am.’

Harry smiled. ‘You always told me she was very powerful, this just proves it more!’

Ginny smiled and offered her wand to Harry. He shook his head. ‘I think you’re right, let’s let Ron give it a go.’

Ron stood up and shook his hands a few times. He pointed his wand and concentrated before calling out, ‘Expecto Patronum!’

A Jack Russell terrier came flying out of the end of his wand. It ran a few metres before disappearing entirely. Ron sat down heavily on the now-damp porch and sighed. ‘I guess practice in the next few minutes won’t do much good.’

Ginny took a tentative step forward then retreated back to the dryness near the doorway. ‘Ron, you can’t just try once and give up!’

Harry stepped forward, placing a hand on Ron’s shoulder. ‘It does take practice, but like you said, it’ll mean a lot to Hermione.’

Ron didn’t turn around, but stood up again, going through the motions but to the same result. He turned and gave Harry and Ginny a helpless look and Ginny said, ‘Just keep trying, Ron. You have to tap into your happiest memory.’

She turned to Harry and was about to say something when a glowing sea otter came flying forward. It said clearly in Hermione’s voice, ‘Ginny, I hope you’re not asleep. Or that I’m not waking you up. I don’t know how long I’ll be here. Mum and dad are being rather impossible. They’ve almost forbidden me to return to Hogwarts!’

There was a strain in Hermione’s voice through the Patronus. It continued, ‘Anyway, I wish I had taken your and Harry’s advice. It would be nice not to be alone right now. But I know your family has a lot to deal with too. Tell Ron…’

The Patronus faltered and the otter swam around Ginny once before stopping again and continuing, ‘Tell him I miss him. Give my love to your family and thank your mother for me! Take care and take care of Harry!’

The otter disappeared in a wisp and Ginny turned to Harry. ‘Great, now I have to take care of you too?’

He laughed. ‘Don’t lie, you love it!’

He would have kissed her, but could hear Ron stand up. He was looking hard at the place where Hermione’s Patronus had been. ‘I have to go help her.’

Ginny pulled her eyes away from Harry and said, ‘Ron, wait! You can’t just go – she can’t know that you were here. She sent the Patronus to me!’

Ron smirked. ‘Making you feel special, yeah?’

Harry put his hands up. ‘Ron, don’t even start down that road. You should have replied to Hermione earlier!’

Ginny gave Harry a tired look and said to Ron, ‘Why don’t you keep practicing? I’ll just send Hermione a Patronus, asking her where she is and what I can do to help.’

Harry nodded and said, ‘We don’t want her to worry that we’re all up worrying about her.’

Ron gave Harry and Ginny a troubled look. ‘What would I even do if I were there?’

Ginny shook her head. ‘The same thing she did while she was here. Just be there for her. That’s all you can do.’

Ron nodded absently and turned around, walking out into the yard. Ginny took a step forward but Harry stopped her and shook his head. He called after Ron, ‘Don’t stay out too long – if you’re sick you’ll be of no use to anyone!’

Ron kept walking forward and Ginny gave Harry a worried look. ‘I don’t think we should have let him walk out there like that.’

Harry sighed. ‘I think he needs some time alone.’ He reached an arm towards her. ‘Maybe some time without watching us snogging each other silly.’

She pushed him away and said, ‘Harry, you’re all wet.’

Harry laughed. ‘Are you saying you don’t want me to touch you if I’m wet?’

Ginny laughed. ‘I just want to stay dry. Aren’t you tired?’

She covered her mouth and yawned. He smiled. ‘I am, but I was having trouble sleeping.’

She gave him a startled look. ‘Oh Harry, are you having nightmares?’

He gave her a surprised look. ‘What? No! I was…I didn’t like going to bed upset…or having you upset with me.’

She smiled softly. ‘Harry, all couples have…issues sometimes.’

He nodded but looked at her intently. ‘No, I know – but this is you and me. Not some anonymous couple!’

She put her hands up. ‘You’re yelling again.’

He laughed. ‘Can you blame me? When I think about you, about us, I get emotionally drawn in. As I expect you do.’

She nodded and rubbed her eyes. ‘Yes, I do, and I didn’t want to go to bed angry either. I didn’t know what to say.’

Harry shrugged. ‘It isn’t good we’re better when we don’t talk and just snog.’

She replied, ‘My feelings exactly. There should be more substance.’

Harry smiled. ‘I can see you’re exhausted. Why don’t we both just go to bed and –’

Before he could finish a white terrier came bounding between them. It spoke in Ron’s voice, ‘If you two aren’t going to snog why don’t you get going so I can keep practicing!’

Ginny smiled and Harry laughed. ‘I’m glad it didn’t take him all night to get this one down!’

Ginny nodded. ‘I think we should take the dog’s advice.’

Harry nodded in agreement and gestured towards the door. Ginny entered first and as they reached the landing in front of her door Harry whispered quietly, ‘Am I dry enough to give you a kiss goodnight?’

She grabbed the collar of his robe and pulled him close, kissing him. He returned the affectionate kiss, but kept the damp cloth away from Ginny as best as he could. They broke apart slowly and she said, ‘You’re just dry enough to kiss.’

He watched her open her door and said quietly, ‘Let’s continue this conversation tomorrow, okay?’

She nodded and shut her door quietly. He headed quietly up the stairs and crawled back into the now cold bed. He felt much more at ease and was able to fall into a deep sleep.