Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry walked slowly back into the kitchen. He could feel Ron’s gaze on him and said curtly, ‘Don’t. I don’t want to talk about it.’

Ron nodded. ‘We’re a sad lot, aren’t we?’

Harry nodded. ‘Very. I never thought I’d be chasing your sister like…’ he left the sentence unfinished and sighed. ‘So, did you send Hermione a Patronus?’

Ron shook his head. ‘No, I thought better of it. You and Ginny were right. That might make things worse before they make things better.’

Harry gave him a sceptical look. ‘I am done trying to figure out what women want or need from us. I’ll just wait to be told. Anticipation is no bloody good.’

Ron laughed. ‘Isn’t that the truth! I tell you, one wrong word and its like war!’

Harry sighed. ‘So, besides chasing girls, what are we supposed to do today?’

Ron replied, ‘Well, we need to reply to Kingsley. And I think we should probably send Professor McGonagall a note about not returning.’

Harry nodded mutely. ‘I’ve only heard scant news about the reconstruction, is the school ready?’

Ron looked thoughtful and replied, ‘Sounded to me, last time dad mentioned it, that school would start on time, though construction would be on-going until graduation.’

Ron got up from the table and placed his bowl in the sink. ‘I really can’t imagine the school still in ruins, but I also heard there will be a memorial in the first half of the year. Something for everyone who passed while…’

Harry looked up. Ron had never really talked about the battle and he was concerned about his reaction. ‘That’s the least they would do, I’d imagine. And are we expected to appear?’

Ron gave him a restrained look. ‘I think so…yeah, I’m not looking forward to it either.’

Harry sighed. ‘I hope there won’t be too much fanfare…’

Ron laughed. ‘Harry, you’re the bloody hero! You better expect to be the centre of attention while you’re there!’

Harry gave him a sharp look. ‘I won’t be the only one.’

Ron laughed louder. ‘You can’t be serious? Harry, you killed Voldemort – no one wants to see your weird side-kicks! Bloody hell, even Neville will be more renowned than me or Hermione!’

Harry shook his head. ‘I think we should send an owl to Neville. Ask him what he’s doing.’

Ron gave him a side-long look. ‘You want to throw your lot in with Neville?’

Harry looked up. ‘What do you mean by that?’

Ron shook his head. ‘Stop, you’re doing what Hermione was doing. I’m not meaning anything, just that you’re the chosen one, the hero – you should be leading, not following.’

Ginny said quietly, ‘Ron’s right, Harry.’

Harry turned around quickly to see Ginny dressed in Muggle clothes. Her hair was falling loosely around her shoulders and she was wearing Muggle jeans and a dark blue jumper. The jumper was covering a white button-down shirt and she had a purse at her side.

Ron filled the silence quickly. ‘Where do you think you’re going?’

Ginny replied quietly, ‘I’m going to head out for a bit. Luna lives just across the way. Thought I’d check and see how she’s doing. You two going to be okay by yourselves?’

Ron nodded. ‘Of course – we can take care of ourselves!’

Harry stared openly at Ginny with a dumbfounded expression on his face. She held his gaze for a second before smiling shyly at him. ‘Harry?’

She stepped forward and put a hand on his shoulder, shaking him slightly. ‘You in there?’

He nodded mutely and said, ‘Have a nice time. Tell Luna I said hello.’

She pulled away from him and headed towards the door. ‘Alright then, I’ll see you both later.’

Ron shot Harry a warning look. Harry sighed and got up. He followed Ginny outside. The morning was rather chilly and Harry wrapped his robe around himself more tightly as he jogged after Ginny.

She heard his footsteps and turned around with a questioning look on her face. He half-smiled and said, ‘You sure you’re going to be okay going there by yourself?’

She smiled back. ‘Harry, she lives right over there.’ She pointed across the Weasleys’ property. ‘I’m going to be fine.’

He replied, ‘No, I know that. Just, you know, after everything Kingsley said…are you sure you don’t want company?’

She smiled warmly at him. ‘I was sure after this morning’s conversation you had enough on your mind.’

He studied her shoes closely as she spoke, not wanting to look her in the eyes. He could feel her take a step closer and he took a sharp breathe. He met her gaze slowly and said, ‘I do, but I still want to make sure…you know?’

She tilted her head. ‘Harry, you said you trusted me.’

He nodded and she continued, ‘I think we both could use some time away from one another.’

He shook his head. ‘We’ll have loads of that soon enough.’

She sighed and replied, ‘I know, Harry. I know and I’m sorry.’

He placed his hands on her shoulders and whispered hoarsely, ‘Don’t be sorry.’ He wanted to say something clever, something consoling, something that would make her, make both of them feel better, but he stood there looking at her sadly with his mouth shut.

She put her hands over his and squeezed them. ‘Harry…’ She tried to catch his gaze, bending her head to see his eyes. ‘Harry, look at me, please.’

He slowly brought his gaze back to hers and she smiled. ‘We can continue now or later, I’ll leave that up to you. What else is there for us to say?’

He looked dejectedly at her and replied, ‘Nothing…I can’t think of one bloody thing.’

She laughed nervously. ‘That isn’t a bad thing, Harry.’

He pulled away from her and she grabbed his arm quickly, turning him back towards her. He gave her a tired look and she said, ‘Harry, if you really want to come with me, you can. I’ll wait.’

He didn’t expect her to say that and gave her a confused look. She smiled. ‘Didn’t see that coming, did you?’

He answered truthfully, ‘No, not in the least.’

He tore his gaze away from her and said quietly, ‘Maybe you’re right…’

She continued smiling and said, ‘Music to my ears’

They both laughed as she continued, ‘You do know, I’m expecting to hear that more in the future.’

He nodded and smiled. ‘Don’t worry, I’ll have that down in no time.’

He bent down and kissed her on the cheek. ‘I’m only a Patronus away…if you need anything, or anything happens…’

She nodded and hugged him quickly. ‘Thanks, Harry. I’ll see you in a bit. If mum’s looking for me, tell her where I’ve gone.’

He nodded and watched her walk away. She was barely a dozen metres away and he was already missing having her near him. He sighed and turned around, heading back into the Burrow.

Ron gave him a lop-sided smile and laughed. ‘Mate, she has you wrapped around her little finger!’

Harry shook his head and replied, ‘Shut it, Ron. I care about your sister, a lot.’

Ron laughed some more. ‘Yeah, I know – its rather fun to watch. Even more so considering how you two started off back in our second year!’

Harry gave him a sceptical look. ‘Yeah, but she has always been a part of our lives at Hogwarts from our second year onwards, sort of.’

Ron chortled. ‘I remember that funny Valentine that stalked you in second year!’

Harry scowled. ‘Shut up, Ron! That was sweet!’

Ron laughed. ‘That wasn’t how you felt about it then!’

Harry gave Ron a disdainful look. ‘Yeah, but things have changed…just drop it!’

Ron laughed quietly to himself and said, ‘Fine, fine – you don’t need to be so touchy!’

Harry shook his head. ‘Where were we before Ginny came in?’

Ron sighed. ‘You were saying you wanted to know what Neville was going to do this fall.’

Harry nodded. ‘Or maybe we should go visit him?’

Ron sighed. ‘I don’t know. I don’t know where he lives, do you?’

Harry replied, ‘How about this: you work on your Patronus to Hermione and I’ll write Neville and see how he’s doing?’

Ron nodded. ‘Agreed – we can stay out of trouble with that simple of a task, right?’

Harry laughed. ‘I hope so!’

Harry brought a quill, ink and parchment to the kitchen, leaving Ron to concentrate in his room. Harry wrote a quick note and used Errol, the Weasleys’ owl, to send the note to Neville. Harry didn’t put much detail in the note, just asked about Neville’s summer and if he wanted to come visit.

Ron came down sullenly and said quietly, ‘Well, that could have gone better.’

Harry looked up. ‘Come on – you were doing well last night!’

Ron shook his head. ‘I just hope she gets it and not someone else.’

Harry stifled a laugh. ‘I’m sure she got it.’

Ron asked, ‘So, you sent a letter to Neville?’

Harry nodded. ‘Yeah, just a quick note – we haven’t spoken to him all summer. That probably isn’t a good thing.’


Ron sighed. ‘We’ve all been busy. And I saw that article of him in the Prophet, he seems to be enjoying the positive attention!’

Harry said, ‘Well, he did kill Nagini, the last Horcrux. If not for him, I never would have been able to defeat Voldemort.’

Ron nodded and said wryly, ‘Yeah that he did.’

Harry looked up. ‘You’re not jealous of Neville, are you?’

Ron shrugged. ‘You could have told anyone to do that, but you told Neville!’

Harry gave Ron a disgusted look. ‘So sorry Ron, I was walking to my death, the first person I saw that I trusted seemed right to ask.’

Ron muttered, ‘No, need to get up in arms, I’m just saying.’

Harry shook his head. ‘Yeah, you’re always saying.’

Ron said, ‘Look, I didn’t mean anything about it. Not totally; though we have all wondered at that choice.’

Harry replied sharply, ‘Thanks. Well, it all worked out, didn’t it?’

Ron nodded. ‘It did.’

Harry sat silently, feeling thoroughly nettled by Ron’s accusations. He wondered who ‘we’ was in the group; if that included both Hermione and Ginny. He knew he probably should have said more to Ginny. He didn’t have any idea as to how best to broach the subject. He noticed Ron staring at him and said, ‘What?’

Ron laughed. ‘You’re smiling – why are you smiling like that?’

Harry shook his head. ‘I was thinking of your…never you mind.’

Ron rolled his eyes. ‘Merlin’s shorts, Harry! This is really sad – the hero of the world and you got all glassy-eyed thinking of my baby sister!’

Harry replied, ‘You know what? I think I will harass you on Hermione’s behalf from now on.’

Ron replied, ‘Harry! That is really above and beyond. Hermione and I don’t need that. Bloody hell, I can barely keep her interested, I don’t need you distracting her.’

Ron looked sadly at the kitchen table and any sourness Harry felt was tempered by their friendship and his sympathy for his friend. He said quietly, ‘I don’t know if you want my advice, I’m not really that great with the ladies either. What little I do know, I’ll happily pass along.’

Ron shook his head. ‘No offence, Harry, but I think I’ll pass. Hopefully Hermione will tell me where she is and I can smooth things over then.’

Harry looked at him sceptically. ‘You have a plan for that smoothing over?’

Ron replied, ‘No, I like to fly by the seat of my pants when I can. Hermione doesn’t seem to mind.’

Harry bit his tongue and looked away. Ron didn’t say anything and the flames from the chimney erupted as Mrs. Weasley walked out. She placed a bag on the counter and began brushing the soot off of her cloak. She looked at both of them and shook her head. ‘You two haven’t even bothered to get dressed!’

Ron and Harry jumped up and hurried out of the room, but not before Mrs. Weasley called out to them, ‘Boys! Get back in here!’

The both skulked back in cautiously. She gave them a once over. ‘Where is Ginny?’

Harry spoke up, ‘She went to see Luna.’

Mrs. Weasley gave him a curious look. ‘Luna Lovegood? Why?’

Harry shrugged. ‘She didn’t say.’

Mrs. Weasley gave Harry a very hard look. ‘Anything happened that I should know about?’

Harry tried to keep a steady gaze, but couldn’t hold it, seeing that same shade of brown in Mrs. Weasley’s eyes as Ginny’s. He said quietly, ‘She just needed some time to herself.’

Mrs. Weasley looked at Ron. ‘Why don’t you wash up, Ron? Harry, can I have a word with you?’

Harry felt blind panic rising up and gave Ron a desperate look. Ron shrugged and walked out of the kitchen, leaving Harry alone with Mrs. Weasley.

Mrs. Weasley gestured to the table and Harry nervously sat down. ‘Is everything alright, Mrs. Weasley?

She brought a cup of tea to the table and sat down. ‘Harry, I know I speak for Arthur when I say that we have always been as proud of you as we are of our own children.’

Harry braced himself, unsure of what she would say next. She continued, ‘And we love having you here. I know things have been difficult for you. I can’t even imagine what you’re going through.’

He tried to smile but felt his emotions rising inside him and looked closely at the table. She reached a hand out across the table, tapping his arm. ‘Harry, what I’m trying to get at is that we consider you part of the family. If you need someone to confide in, you have any one of us here for you.’

He smiled, wondering if there was something further she would say. He said lamely, ‘Thank you Mrs. Weasley. I really appreciate your and Mr. Weasley’s generosity.’

She waved her hand. ‘Harry, I also wanted to talk to you about you and Ginny.’

Harry felt the panic rise within him again and felt a sense of nausea. He did not want to have a serious discussion about a relationship he himself didn’t understand with Mrs. Weasley.

She smiled in a kindly manner at him. ‘You and Ginny have been rather…inseparable lately. And while I know neither of you would do anything you shouldn’t…’

Harry felt his face flushing and he tried to say something, but Mrs. Weasley wouldn’t let him get a word in edge-wise. ‘Harry, what I’m trying to get at is Ginny is very special to us. And I know you two are very fond of one another, but you’ve hardly spent any time together.’

Harry mustered the courage and replied, ‘Mrs. Weasley, I really, really care about Ginny. I would never do anything to jeopardise what I have with her!’

She shook her head. ‘That isn’t what I meant, Harry. We know you are not the type of boy that would do something that would be inappropriate, but at the same time, you don’t have anyone to talk to about this sort of thing either. What I am trying to get at, dear, is that if you have questions, even though she is our only daughter, we are still here for you.’

Harry looked nervously at Mrs. Weasley and said, ‘Thanks…I…’

She laughed. ‘Knowing Ginny, she’s keeping you on your toes already.’

Harry laughed nervously. ‘Well, yes, she is…but I think we’re okay, sort of.’

Mrs. Weasley smiled. ‘You’ve both have had very difficult times. I think what makes relationships successful is being able to confide anything into the person you love. I think that’s when you know.’

She patted him in a motherly manner. ‘Now go wash up, dear.’

He nodded and got up, stopping at the door. ‘Mrs. Weasley, thanks. I think I needed that.’

She smiled knowingly. ‘You are very welcome, dear.’

He walked up the stairs slowly, catching Ron in his room. Ron laughed. ‘Mum cornered you then?’

Harry nodded. ‘It wasn’t bad. It was actually nice, getting parental advice.’

Ron nodded sadly. ‘You can borrow my parents whenever you like, mate!’

Harry laughed and headed into the shower. Mrs. Weasley had made him feel slightly better. But his earlier conversation with Ginny had put a damper on any positive feelings he could have. He still felt rejected by her, but then he wasn’t sure what to think. She’d told him repeatedly she needed time and space. Had he ignored her? Was he putting too much pressure on her?

After a quick shower he headed back to Ron’s room and found Ron sitting on his bed reading a letter. Harry gave him a questioning look and Ron replied, ‘Hermione got my Patronus…in the middle of breakfast. Her mother didn’t care for a talking dog made of light.’

Harry was surprised, but if it were possible, Ron looked even more dejected than before. He said, ‘Ron, I’m sure it wasn’t that bad.’

Ron shook his head. ‘Yeah, that’s why she replied with a letter. A really detached letter saying she was fine and not to worry, that’s it.’

Harry craned his neck to see the short letter Ron threw on his bed. ‘Ron, she’s under a lot of stress. Why don’t you just reply by owl now and tell her you want to come see her.’

Ron shook his head emphatically. ‘No, she doesn’t need to tell me twice!’

Harry shook his head. ‘Ron, really. I know you don’t want to hear it, but listen, the one thing I do know, being pursued is never a bad thing.’

Ron gave him a sceptical look. ‘This coming from the hero who can’t even get a commitment out of my sister!’

Harry shot back, ‘Hey! Look, I’m sorry Hermione is giving you a hard time, but don’t even think about comparing me and Ginny to you and Hermione!’

Harry walked out in a huff and headed to the kitchen. He was feeling increasingly out of place at the Burrow and wondered if he shouldn’t head back to Grimmauld Place. He could write his letter to Kingsley there and perhaps start his training. He could hear Mrs. Weasley speaking forcefully from the stairs, but she stopped short, hearing his footsteps on the stairs. He walked cautiously into the kitchen to see Mr. and Mrs. Weasley having a heated discussion with Ginny.

She looked flustered and they all looked up at his entrance. He stood mutely for a second before saying quietly, ‘I didn’t mean to interrupt…I’ll just…’

He started to head out of the kitchen when Mrs. Weasley called out, ‘Harry, you got a letter from Neville!’

Harry walked over and picked up the letter and turned it over. He looked nervously around the room again and then headed out to the garden with the letter.

Mrs. Weasley called after him, ‘Lunch will be ready soon!’

Harry nodded and headed out, opening the letter.

Harry,

It is so wonderful to hear from you! Gran and I are having a wonderfully relaxed summer. I hope you’re having a good summer. I got a letter from the Ministry of Magic, did you? I hope we can meet up some time. If you don’t have plans, let me know when you’d like to get together? Gran would love to see you! Take care and give my hallos to Ron, Hermione and Ginny!

Regards,

Neville



Harry re-read the letter. Perhaps Neville had gotten the same offer as he, Ron and Hermione. Having Neville with him and Ron at the Ministry would be a nice change of pace. Neville had been a great friend and deserved an easy go of things for a bit.

Harry wondered at the argument he had walked in on and resolved that he would head out of the Burrow soon. He wasn’t being of any use to anyone at the rate he was going.

He heard the back door open and was surprised to see Ginny emerge. She walked over to him and smiled. ‘How was your day?’

He tried to smile, but noticed the strain in her voice and eyes. ‘Uneventful. Just sent a letter to Neville…had a chat with your mum.’

She nodded. ‘I heard. You know, Harry, when I told you not to hide anything, that meant anything. If you wanted to say something more, you could have.’

He shook his head. ‘I didn’t have anything to say.’

She laughed and gave him a disbelieving look. ‘Harry, some of what mum said is probably right. We’re both…’

She looked at him with a confused expression and he nodded. ‘She was right…when you care about someone, you should be able to confide anything to them. I haven’t done that, Ginny, and I’m sorry.’

She put a hand on his arm. ‘Harry, we’ve both been hiding things. Hiding our pain, and that’s not going to get us anywhere.’

He said, ‘I know…I’m sorry, Ginny.’

Ginny put her hands up. ‘Stop apologising, Harry. I’m sorry too. I feel like I’ve only been telling you half of what’s been going on.’

He took a step closer. ‘Ginny, maybe you were right; maybe its time to just think about things, about us.’

Ginny sighed sadly, taking his hand in hers. ‘Harry, I want to tell you more. And I want you to know you can tell me more, too.’

Harry reached out for her, wrapping his arms around her. ‘I want to tell you…everything…but I feel like we’re not there.’

She shook her head. ‘No, I know, Harry. I know we’re not.’

She rested her hands on his chest and leaned up, kissing him softly. ‘That doesn’t mean we can’t work on things for now.’

He let himself enjoy their closeness, but felt the hole in the pit of his stomach expanding and pulled away. He rested his forehead against hers and said quietly, ‘I’d better go.’

She reached out grabbing his arms and pulling him back towards her. ‘Harry, you can’t just leave! Both you and Hermione leaving so soon isn’t safe. Isn’t this exactly what Kingsley warned us against?’

Harry couldn’t bring himself to look at her and said quietly, ‘How much more of me can your family take?’

She laughed softly and pulled him into her arms. ‘Loads more. My parents love you more than they love their own children!’

Harry shook his head but leaned down, awkwardly resting his head on her shoulder. She smelled absolutely heavenly. He broke the silence. ‘How’s Luna doing?’

Ginny rubbed his back consolingly. ‘She’s fine. She asked about you. I told her you were doing okay. I told her she should come by and visit for a bit.’

Harry couldn’t help himself and chuckled softly. ‘Is she the same Luna?’

Ginny ran one of her hands through his hair. ‘The one and only Luna.’

He felt the overwhelming sensation of sickness dissipating and returned her embrace, kissing her softly. ‘That’s good to hear. I hope you had a nice time.’

She nodded, leaning into him. ‘It was nice to get a little break. But it is nice to come back to what I’ve started to consider normal.’

He smiled. ‘Normal? What’s so normal you’re coming back to?’

She smiled shyly. ‘Having you here.’

He said, ‘Ginny, you’re making me crazy!’

He laughed and she shook her head. ‘Is it a good crazy?’

He nodded. ‘I don’t know any other crazy to associate with you!’

She took his hand in hers. ‘Come on, we better head inside. Mum is going to wonder what I’ve done with you.’

Harry let her lead him back to the house and noted Mr. Weasley had left while they were outside. He gave Ginny a questioning look and she just replied, ‘He had to get back to work.’

Mrs. Weasley nodded. ‘There was some news from Hogwarts. Kingsley is trying to help Professor McGonagall get the school in some sort of order for the term to start on time.’

Harry looked up. ‘How has the construction been going? I haven’t heard much.’

Mrs. Weasley bustled around the kitchen. ‘Well, dear, there’s a lot of work that needs doing, but I think they will manage. The classes may be a little less structured, but things should progress as needed. Ginny, you’re going back aren’t you?’

Ginny and Harry stood to one side of the kitchen and she nodded at her mother. ‘Of course. I want to get at least one good year in before leaving Hogwarts.’

Mrs. Weasley gave Harry the same questioning look and he shook his head. ‘No, Mrs. Weasley, I don’t think I’ll be returning. Kingsley’s offer is one I have to think more about.’

She nodded. ‘I think that is an excellent opportunity for you. Don’t hesitate. They need people like you there. You’d be such an amazing asset.’

Harry blushed. ‘Thank you, Mrs. Weasley.’

He could see Ginny giggling in her hand at Harry’s reaction as Ron sauntered into the kitchen. ‘Lunch ready?’

Mrs. Weasley frowned at Ron. ‘Have you heard from Hermione?’

He nodded. ‘She’s at home. I think she’s okay. I’m not sure.’

Ginny looked at Ron sadly. ‘Did she say where she was?’

Ron replied curtly, ‘No. She didn’t take her parents back to their old home. They didn’t want to go back there.’

Ginny looked over at Harry who looked back at her with the same level of concern. ‘It’ll be okay, Ron.’

Ron looked up sharply and replied tartly, ‘You know what, I’m really tired of hearing that!’

Ginny started to say something but Harry shook his head, warning her not to get involved. She sighed and said nothing. They both stood quietly until Mrs. Weasley said, ‘Who wants to set the table for lunch?’

Ginny said, ‘I’ll do it, Mum. I’ve hardly done anything all day.’

She walked away from Harry and asked, ‘How many people are we expecting?’

Mrs. Weasley gestured around the kitchen indicating the group that was present and Ginny grabbed the requisite plates and utensils for the meal. Harry started to offer to help but Ginny shook her head, smiling.

Harry watched her set the table and said, ‘So the school has been put back together?’

Mrs. Weasley nodded. ‘According to Arthur, the construction has moved forward quickly. The big issue they’ve been having is getting all the protections back up. They can’t have anyone happening upon the school, especially Muggles. They would go mad if they saw even one class.’

Harry said, ‘Well, that’s good news. I hope Professor McGonagall can get everything safe there before the students go back.’

Mrs. Weasley replied, ‘Yes, the school has to be safe before they open classes again.’

Ginny sat down at the table and said quietly, ‘Wow, I can’t believe they’re really opening school up on time. I was sure I’d get an extended summer holiday!’

Harry laughed and Ron rolled his eyes. Ron said, ‘Its not like you studied much last year anyway!’

Ginny laughed and retorted, ‘That doesn’t mean I don’t want another break!’

Harry whispered quietly to her, ‘Then why don’t you just forgo the whole thing and not go at all?’

Ginny laughed and shook her head. ‘Nice try, Potter.’

Harry smiled jovially at her as Mrs. Weasley went on about Hogwarts. ‘Well, the core of the teaching staff is still around. Hagrid has been working hard to get the castle in a liveable state. He’s identified lots of areas where they can move things until everything is completed. The Board of Governors has been rather united in having the school up-and-ready this summer. They’ve appointed Professor McGonagall as the Headmistress, and thank Merlin for that!’

Ginny asked, ‘Have you heard who’ll be filling the open spots on the faculty?’

Mrs. Weasley shook her head. ‘Even if I knew, I’m absolutely certain I shouldn’t be sharing that with you!’

Ginny gave her mother a look of mock pain before turning back to Harry and Ron at the table. ‘I guess this means my letter should be coming soon.’ She smiled at Harry. ‘And that means someone’s birthday is coming up, any thoughts about what you’d like?’

Harry looked up at her, surprised. ‘I don’t think much about my birthdays, you know. Keeping with the ‘nice and quiet’ theme sounds good to me.’

Ron rolled his eyes. ‘Harry! You have a birthday with a girlfriend, finally! You’re not going to work that into something more interesting?’

Harry looked shocked at Ron’s insinuation and Ginny rolled her eyes and laughed at Harry’s reaction. She said, ‘You know, Harry, Ron has a point…sort of.’

Harry relaxed a little, noting Mrs. Weasley paying little attention to them. ‘I don’t know; what does your family normally do at birthdays?’

Ginny shrugged and looked at Ron. ‘I guess, just dinner and such. I mean, we do exchange gifts, so if there’s something you’d like…’

She smiled innocently and he scratched his head absently. ‘You know, I think I’m good.’

Ron rolled his eyes. ‘You are so hopeless, you know that? Your birthday! I mean, bloody hell!’

‘Ron! Language!’ Mrs. Weasley yelled from the stove.

Ron sighed and leaned back in his chair. ‘Harry, do me a favour, think of something, something good.’

Harry nodded. ‘Yeah, Ron, I’ll start thinking right now.’

Mrs. Weasley started to set lunch on the table. Harry and Ginny waited for Mrs. Weasley to sit down, while Ron wasted no time and started helping himself. They continued talking about Hogwarts and the reconstruction while eating lunch. Mrs. Weasley kept pretty tight about any details regarding the faculty, but it sounded like the grounds had, for the most part, been restored and the housing would be ready for the students.