Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +


After lunch Harry decided he might try to continue that conversation with Ginny, but she said she was feeling tired and would take a quick kip before dinner. Harry thought it better than to waste the time and referred back to the note of instruction Hermione had left him. He didn’t need Ron nosing in and went out to the garden, where he would be able to hear anyone sneak up on him, and took the locket and ring with him.

Harry was rather thankful for Hermione, she had set everything out for him in excruciating detail and it was relatively easy for him to follow. A series of incantations would activate the power dwelling within the locket and ring, but he would now have to either wear or carry the ring with him at all times. He knew he couldn’t wear the ring, but he could keep it with him someplace. He looked around himself quickly, hoping no one was spying on him and drew a deep breath before starting the incantations Hermione had outlined.

After about a half hour he could see the locket glow before going back to its regular state. He had put the ring on and it burned red hot for a brief moment before returning to room temperature. He felt an over-whelming warmth, as if he had put on a soft, flannel blanket, but the warmth was coming from inside him. He sat for a few moments, in awe of the power that was surging through him, but he knew he shouldn’t linger outside for too long. He put both the ring and locket into his pocket for safety.

He started to get up and sat back down, realising he knew exactly what he’d like to do for his birthday. He headed back inside, finding the kitchen empty save for Ginny, looking half-awake and making a cup of tea. Despite being slightly dishevelled, she still looked gorgeous to Harry.

He cleared his throat and she turned abruptly. ‘Oh Harry! I didn’t hear you come in!’

He nodded and smiled. ‘I noticed. Got some rest?’

She nodded and motioned to the tea. He nodded and she pulled another cup out for him. ‘I did. You and Ron better keep your arguing down to a minimum tonight, I’d like to get a full night’s sleep!’

He nodded and stood next to her near the stove. ‘I’ll let Ron know. I’m sure we’ll keep it down to a dull roar.’

Ginny smiled. ‘Any more thought about your birthday?’

He replied, ‘Now that you mention it, yes. But can it be a surprise?’

She shook her head. ‘If anyone should be surprised on your birthday, it should be you!’

He sighed. ‘No surprises for you?’

She smiled. ‘On my birthday you can surprise me all you like, but on your birthday I should know what I’m doing for you.’

Harry shook his head. ‘But I don’t want you to do anything!’

Ginny put her hands up as the tea kettle began to whistle. She poured the two cups and continued, ‘Harry, the whole point of your birthday is for your friends to do something for you. Not for you to plan something for your girlfriend.’

He smiled at the title and said, ‘So I can’t blind-side you with my idea?’

She shook her head and walked past him towards the table. ‘Sorry, no such luck, Harry.’

He sighed and sat down next to her. He started nervously, ‘Just tell me if you think this isn’t a good idea.’ She waited patiently and he continued, ‘What if we just go out and have a nice, quiet evening. A date, if you will, just the two of us.’

She looked thoughtfully at him and said, ‘That does sound nice. Think we can ditch the rest of the group?’

He put his cup down and said, ‘Well, maybe if we do a lunch date, then we can do dinner with the rest of the family.’

She laughed softly. ‘You know, if Hermione isn’t here, something tells me Ron isn’t going to enjoy this plan.’

He smiled. ‘So, you’re okay with this idea?’

She smiled back at him. ‘I think it’s a wonderful idea! I mean, it’ll give us some time to ourselves and that is something we could both do with a lot more of.’

He reached his hand out to hers and said, ‘That’s the only gift I want.’

She squeezed his hand. ‘Is this what I’m supposed to expect in the future?’

He shrugged. ‘I have no idea. I just want to take this one day at a time.’

She nodded and sipped her tea, saying, ‘I wonder if mum knows something more about Hogwarts she wasn’t telling us.’

Harry said, ‘I’m almost certain of it, aren’t you?’

She replied, ‘I got that impression, too. I am glad to hear Professor McGonagall is in charge. I can’t imagine the Board wanting to change the leadership at a time like this. And, Harry, I hope, despite what you said earlier, you’ll attend that service. It’ll mean a lot to me to have you there.’

He squeezed her hand. ‘Then I’ll be there.’

Harry said quietly, ‘So, shall I invite Neville over and you invite Luna over? It’ll be a mini-reunion!’

She laughed. ‘Maybe we should invite them for your birthday, its right around the corner.’

He gave her a sceptical look. ‘I don’t want to have a party, really. Though I guess a few friends over would be a nice change of pace for me. Are you sure your parents wouldn’t be put off by something like that. I mean…’ He looked at her anxiously. ‘I just feel like we should be a little more sombre.’

Ginny didn’t react openly and Harry thought he’d said something wrong, but she finally broke the silence. ‘Mum and dad are still hiding it I think. I mean, with George being the way he’s been, we can’t really mourn for Fred. I don’t think George would allow it.’

Harry was afraid to broach the topic but said quietly, ‘But don’t you need to mourn? I mean, after I lost Sirius, I just needed some time to remember and then accept what happened.’

She gave him a weak smile and said, ‘You had what I hate to describe as a luxury of not having to deal with a whole family. I mean, I don’t even know how to deal with it. It’s hard to believe, but…’ She faltered looking away from him. ‘He’s gone, and he’s never coming back. And he was part of a set, one of two…every time I look at George, I think of Fred, and I’m sure all my brothers see that too.’

She continued more slowly, ‘It’s hard. It’s so hard, Harry.’

She had turned to look at him, her eyes shimmering before him. He reached an arm around her shoulders and said quietly, ‘Its okay to be upset, love. He was your brother, and he’s gone.’

He smiled at her. ‘I know people deal with death in different ways, but I know for my sake, even though Sirius is gone, being in Grimmauld Place, it reminds me of him, and all the times we did have together, good and bad. I know it might sound lame, but just remembering him makes him live on.’

He gave her a sheepish smile and she replied, ‘Don’t be silly, Harry, that makes perfect sense. It is wonderful to have that emotional closure. I just don’t want to forget him.’

She looked sadly at her tea and Harry said quietly, ‘You will never forget him, Ginny. None of us will. He had such a positive outlook on life and was a good person. He’ll be remembered by his friends and family and I’d like to think Fred would appreciate that.’

She wiped her hands across her face and said, ‘I know you’re right…I feel like I’ve been ignoring all this for so long.’

She turned away from him but he pulled her closer and said, ‘Don’t blame yourself, Ginny. Life happens, right?’

She nodded and said, ‘I’m almost certain this is something I shouldn’t talk about too much, I don’t want you to think I’m one of those girls who cry at the drop of a hat!’

She got up and put her cup in the sink. He watched her and said, ‘Ginny, I don’t think that of you. I’d think the opposite! I mean, if you didn’t show any feeling about what happened, that might be a little strange.’

She looked out the window over the sink and he got up, bringing his cup and placed it in the sink. He rested his hands on either side of her. He leaned close, but avoided kissing her. He whispered quietly, ‘I would love to comfort you if you did want to…you know, cry or anything.’

She turned around with a mischievous look in her eyes. ‘Oh really? How surprising, Harry!’

She ran her hands up his arms and wrapped them around his neck. Harry could distantly feel the locket and ring growing warm but ignored them as she leaned up and kissed him softly. She said quietly, ‘Its amazing, all of a sudden I’m feeling more cheerful.’

He laughed softly and kissed her on the cheek and down her neck. He stopped at the collar of her shirt and pulled his hands away from the sink to rest on her waist. She took his chin in her hand and kissed him again, softly, almost searchingly. They broke apart slowly and Harry felt his lips tingling as she drew away from him, her hand trailing across his arm. He followed her closely as she headed back towards the sitting room. Harry hadn’t realised it, but Ron had been sitting there, sleeping, since he’d come back inside.

Ginny shook her head and looked at Ron. Harry said quietly, ‘Should we wake him up? Or do something amusing?’

She laughed. ‘No, it wouldn’t be worth it.’

She sat down on the sofa and Harry sat down next to her. He took one of her hands in his and said, ‘We may not get another chance at this.’

Ginny shook her head and Ron said clearly, ‘You still don’t have a chance, I’m not asleep. I was, but you two were talking too loud for me.’

Harry laughed. ‘Since when has sound ever been an issue for you?’

Ron cracked an eye open and said sullenly, ‘I was hoping one of you might be talking to Hermione.’

Harry leaned closer to Ginny and said, ‘Sorry, mate, no such luck. Maybe we should tell her we’re planning on meeting with Neville and Luna in a few days?’

Ron shook his head. ‘Don’t want to make her jealous.’

Ron jumped up suddenly and headed for the stairs. Harry shot Ginny a questioning look. She said quietly, ‘You know, with Ron, an idea hits him, and literally, there he goes.’

They sat there for barely a minute before Ron came bounding down the stairs with a quill and parchment. ‘You two gave me an interesting idea.’

Harry sighed and smiled as Ginny said, ‘Oh, this I have to hear.’

Ron smirked. ‘Give me a little credit, I think I’ll send her another owl. I mean, I’d like to think she’s missing us, but if I can entice her with a party, that might get her here for some much deserved fun and maybe more...’

Harry gave Ron an inquisitive look. ‘How is this different than any other idea we’ve had?’

Ron shook his head. ‘Come on, Harry, you know Hermione. This’ll peak her interest.’

Harry shook his head. ‘I think the important thing is you believe this’ll work. I think you know her better than we do.’

Ron wrote feverishly and Ginny broke in, ‘You know, Ron, she has to be able to read the letter too. Just a thought.’

He gave Ginny a dismissive wave and continued writing. She nudged Harry absently, ‘You know, maybe we should both get those letters out of the way.’

He asked, ‘Should we check with your mum first about having people over?’

Ron interjected, ‘Not a bad idea, Harry. Though you’re making us look bad being so thoughtful.’

Harry laughed and said, ‘Sorry, Ron. I’m not doing it on purpose. Just don’t want to give your mum a fright!’

Ginny patted Harry on the arm and said, ‘We’ll ask her during dinner, then we can both send our letters and see when everyone can come by.’

Ron finished writing the letter and grabbed Errol from the kitchen to send the letter off. Ginny looked over at Harry and said quietly, ‘Feeling better?’

He nodded and leaned over to kiss her softly. ‘Much better. I think you were right about the time and the thinking.’

Harry felt the heat of the locket in his pocket again and wondered if he shouldn’t give Ginny the locket when they were on their date. Ron came back into the room and sat down quietly.

During dinner, Mr. Weasley updated Ron, Harry and Ginny on the reconstruction at Hogwarts. He assured Ginny that she’d be getting her letter at its normal time and told Harry and Ron that if they wanted to go back, they’d need to let Professor McGonagall know. Harry and Ron both exchanged amused glances. Mr. Weasley went on to say that some of the faculty positions would be filled by interesting and exciting teachers. Ginny tried to probe her father for more information, but he just laughed and said he couldn’t say.

They asked Mrs. Weasley about a visit from Neville and Luna and she said it sounded like a wonderful idea. She made a point to note a certain special date that was coming up and looked at Harry.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley kept chatting in the kitchen after dinner was over and Harry and Ginny both wrote their letters to Neville and Luna respectively. Ron had received a response from Hermione, she’d indicated she’d be back for Harry’s birthday and would let him accompany her back, to meet her parents. Harry and Ginny tried to stifle their laughter as Ron started feeling both nervousness and nausea. Harry noted that they’d met her parents before, but Ron muttered something and headed quickly out of the sitting room.

Harry looked over at Ginny and said, ‘It looks like poor Ron isn’t getting quite what he’d expected!’

Ginny nodded. ‘I’m just surprised that my dad would tease us with the new faculty and no more information.’

Harry replied, ‘Well, it wouldn’t be much of a surprise if you knew!’

She poked him. ‘I’m not huge on surprises!’

He wrapped his arm around her and said, ‘I know. I’m getting that.’

He sighed and watcher her yawn. ‘How can you be tired?’

She laughed. ‘I haven’t been sleeping that well.’

He gave her a worried look. ‘You keep saying that…’ He rubbed her back gently. ‘Anything I can do to help?’

She leaned back, closer to him. ‘Nothing that would be construed as appropriate between the two of us.’

He laughed. ‘Well, your parents have gone to bed, and Ron probably won’t come back down here…’

He started massaging her back and could feel her body relax. She tried to pull away from him but he wrapped his arms around her waist. ‘Why don’t you let me help you?’

She sighed and turned to look at him out of the corner of her eye. ‘Harry, I’d like nothing more. But if either of my parents sees you…seducing me in their sitting room, they probably won’t take kindly to it!’

He gave her a feigned hurt look and replied, ‘Me? Seduce you? I think this could be a two-way street.’

He kissed her softly and she turned her body around to kiss him back. He smiled down at her and said, ‘We should probably go to bed then.’

She smiled up at him. ‘Yes, that’s probably a good idea.’

He got up slowly, stretching and took Ginny’s hand in his, helping her up. She covered her mouth to yawn again. They both walked hand-in-hand to the landing in front of Ginny’s room. She smiled at him and leaned up, kissing him fully for a few moments before leaning back down. He kept his hands on her waist leaning down and kissing her on the cheek. He gave her a sly smile. ‘You sure you don’t want me to help you get some rest?’

She shook her head, laughing. ‘There’ll be a day when I’ll gladly take you up on that offer, but tonight is not that night! Good night, Harry.’

She had a sweet smile on her face and Harry relinquished any hopes of having a few stolen moments with Ginny. He quietly trekked up the stairs to Ron’s room, to find Ron wide awake.

He gave him a side-long look. ‘What are you doing up?’

Ron sighed. ‘Hermione’s definitely going back this fall, no ifs about it. I had hoped that trip to the Ministry would convince her to stay…’

He left the sentence unfinished and Harry raised his eyebrows. ‘You mean, stay with you?’

Ron shrugged. ‘Oh come on, she might meet some great bloke back at school. Some one studious and good looking…’

Harry laughed. ‘Ron, you need to stop it. She’s always liked you. Why do you think she was so torn up our sixth year when you dated Lavender? She’s chosen you; don’t give her reasons to reconsider!’

Ron sighed. ‘Did you know? That we’d…you know, be together?’

Harry sighed and sat down on the bed heavily. ‘I wasn’t really sure until the Yule Ball. The way you acted…it was coloured with jealousy. And even I have to admit, she looked amazing!’

Ron smiled wistfully. ‘I still kick myself for not asking her myself. And Krum…had rather busy hands.’

Harry put his hands up. ‘I don’t need to hear more, Ron! Just make her happy and she’ll keep you happy. That’s the least I can figure out right now.’

They both sunk into silence as Harry got ready for bed. Ron kept the light on as Harry fell fast asleep.