Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

The days leading up to Harry’s birthday were rather uneventful. Harry and Ron both sent notes to Kingsley, thanking him and graciously accepting his offer. Ron had sent Hermione another note, telling her that he would not be going to Hogwarts and received a prompt, unsurprised reply from Hermione. Harry spent a good amount of his time trying to think of the right way to give Ginny the locket. He sent Hermione a letter, unbeknownst to either Ron or Ginny. She didn’t have much advice to give, telling him to speak from his heart and to be honest, but not over-bearing.

Neville and Luna had both sent letters back, saying they’d be happy to come see Harry on his birthday for a small get together. Harry had insisted that it shouldn’t be a ‘birthday party,’ as such, but Mrs. Weasley was thrilled about it and wouldn’t hear of any down-playing the event.

Ginny had repeatedly asked Harry where he wanted to go, but he had kept mum, visiting Kreacher briefly for advice about places he’d recommend. The house elf was beyond proud to be consulted and gave Harry a variety of choices. Harry didn’t realise there were so many places to eat in Diagon Alley. After some thought, he asked Kreacher to help him prepare a picnic of sorts; he thought that would be more of a surprise that Ginny would enjoy.

The morning of his birthday, Harry found himself feeling unusually cheerful. He was now eighteen. One year past coming of age; his seventeenth year was thankfully over. He’d be starting his work as an Auror soon, one of the youngest ever. He woke up early, earlier than he had anticipated and dressed quietly. He headed down the stairs and was surprised to see Mrs. Weasley awake in the kitchen, but not doing anything. She was concentrating hard on something and Harry didn’t want to disturb her, but she heard him coming and looked up.

She wiped her face with her hand and said, ‘Good Morning Harry! Happy Birthday, dear! How does it feel to be one year older?’

He smiled and replied, ‘No different than last year, really. Is everything alright, Mrs. Weasley? I really didn’t want you to go to any trouble on my account!’

She shook her head. ‘Don’t be silly, dear. It is my pleasure to do this for you!’

He gave her a sceptical look and said, ‘I’m going to head out, get ready for my…date with Ginny. I’ll be back in a couple hours.’

She nodded and smiled. ‘Alright, Harry. Everything will be ready for this evening.’

He nodded and stepped outside and pulled his jacket close to him. It was still very early and the sun had yet to make an appearance. He Apparated to Grimmauld Place once he was out in the garden and helped Kreacher put the last touches on the lunch. By the time all the preparations were completed, it was nearly noon. Harry quickly changed into a nicer set of clothes: black pants, dress shoes and a light blue button-down shirt. Harry gave himself one final look in the mirror before Apparating back to the Burrow.

Harry was surprised to find Ginny sitting outside on the swing in the garden. She was wearing a brown skirt and a light green blouse. She had her hair pulled back, but a few wisps of it fell loose around her face. She looked up and smiled at him as he approached. ‘Happy Eighteenth, Harry.’

He smiled back at her and jogged towards her. She got up quickly and he wrapped his arms around her kissing her with every ounce of energy he had. He could feel the laughter crossing her lips and said, ‘Are you ready?’

She nodded. ‘I think so. Do I need anything?’

He shook his head. ‘Just your gorgeous self.’

She gave him a sweet smile and said, ‘Laying it on a little thick, aren’t you?’

He shook his head again. ‘Not in the least! Should we check in with your mum before heading out?’

She replied, ‘No, she knew I was waiting for you out here. And it is awfully nice out. Are you finally going to tell me where we’re going?’

He said quietly, ‘Shut your eyes and we’ll Apparate someplace nice.’

She smiled in response and shut her eyes. He shut his eyes as well, Apparating them to a small park outside of London. Harry landed soundly and Ginny opened her eyes slowly. Harry had set the picnic up a few metres away from where they’d landed. He’d made a point to Apparate where no Muggles would see them.

Ginny took a few steps forward. ‘Did you set this up?’

He smiled at her. ‘Of course. I thought about going someplace nice, but I thought it might be safer to do something quiet.’

She looked up at him. ‘This was the last thing I expected.’

He waited anxiously and she continued, ‘Harry, this is perfect.’

He sighed. ‘I was getting worried you’d think I was being boring or something.’

She shook her head. ‘Harry, no. This is really sweet. Nice and quiet, and no interruptions.’

He gestured towards the blanket and she sat down opposite him. He opened the basket and started pulling the sandwiches and crisps out. Ginny laughed. ‘Tell me honestly, Harry. Who helped you with this?’

He tried to feign being hurt and said, ‘I may have received some help.’

They ate quietly for a bit, enjoying the mildly warm weather. Harry continued to move closer to Ginny at every chance he got until they were sitting next to each other. He leaned close to her and whispered, ‘This has been really nice.’

She nodded and turned towards him. ‘It has been, but its nearly time for your ‘party’ soon.’

He smiled at her. ‘You think anyone will notice if we’re late?’

He leaned over and brushed his lips across her cheek. She replied, ‘The guest of honour not showing? Yes, Harry, I think they may notice.’

She laughed and started to get up. He grabbed her arm and gently pulled her back. ‘Oh come on, Ginny, I think we can be a little late.’

She gave him a questioning look and he continued more slowly, ‘I didn’t pack any dessert; I knew your mum would be filling us full of sweets once we got home.’

She nodded and watched him as he said, ‘I wanted to do something special for my birthday. Getting some time alone with you has really made it special…Thanks.’

He leaned over and kissed her softly before reaching back towards the basket. She put her hand on his arm and said, ‘I thought you said there was nothing in there?’

He sighed anxiously and said, ‘No, I said there were no sweets in there…but I did…’ He gave her a nervous glance before handing her a small wrapped package.

She gave him a shocked look and said, ‘Harry! You didn’t get me a gift on your birthday, did you? Especially when you didn’t tell me what you wanted!’

He smiled and watched her closely as she shifted the box from one hand to the other. He said, ‘Aren’t you going to open it?’

She blushed and said, ‘Harry, I never expected…’ She struggled for a few moments before leaning close to him and kissing him softly. ‘This was really sweet of you. All this for me on your birthday!’

He smiled and said, ‘Making you smile makes me feel good, so it seemed like the right thing to do for my birthday.’

She smiled broadly at him and said quietly, ‘This was the last thing I expected for your birthday. Harry, this is just…you’ve overwhelmed me!’

He leaned close and whispered, ‘And you still haven’t opened the box.’

She looked at him closely and then dropped her gaze back to the box. ‘Harry, you really shouldn’t have. Thank you.’

He gave her a questioning look as she slowly unwrapped the box to find a jewellery box within. Harry watched her anxiously as she opened the box. Her eyes shot up to his with a look of adoration and she said quietly, ‘Harry, this is amazing.’

She pulled the locket out of the box and the ring Harry kept in his pocket began to heat up as she touched the locket. She looked closely at the coat of arms and said, ‘What does this mean?’

She was touching the coat of arms and Harry smiled. ‘It’s from the house of Godric Gryffindor. I got it in Diagon Alley months ago. It was…perfect.'

She nodded, understanding washing over her features. ‘This is what you and Hermione were talking about. You’ve placed a spell or charm on this?’

He nodded. ‘I did. Thanks to Hermione, you should, at least be safe.’

She turned the locket over in her hand and said, ‘Harry, this is really too much…I mean, I know we’re getting there, but this…this is serious jewellery.’

He kept smiling and replied, ‘I know, love, but I want you to have it. You’ll be safer with it on and I’ll feel better knowing you’re safe.’

He said more quickly, ‘It isn’t an engagement gift or anything, Ginny. I just…it struck me as perfect for you.’

She wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. ‘Harry…I don’t know what to do with you.’

He chuckled into her hair and said, ‘I can think of a few things.’

She laughed and playfully slapped him. ‘I can’t say ‘no’ to you…help me put it on?’

He took the locket from her and unclasped it. He brushed her hair away from her neck, resisting the urge to kiss her and put the locket around her neck, clasping it again. She turned to him and they both saw the locket glow for a moment before going back to its normal colouring. He leaned forward and said, ‘How does that feel?’

She looked at him thoughtfully, ‘It doesn’t feel as heavy as I thought it would…and its warm, really warm, but not hot. Its making me feel warm.’

He smiled. ‘There’s lot of lore about this locket. It came with a companion ring, which I have.’

He couldn’t stop smiling and she asked, ‘Why aren’t you wearing the ring?’

He pulled the ring out of his pocket and laid it on his palm. ‘It looks like some sort of costume jewellery, doesn’t it?’

She shook her head. ‘No, it doesn’t. It is a bit big, but I imagine there’s some reason they are pieces that go together.’

He put the ring on his right hand and jumped at the surge he felt run through his body as he did so. He looked up and knew Ginny had felt it too. Her eyes were wide as she whispered, ‘Harry, what was that?’

She grabbed at the chain but could find no clasp. He reached over and indeed saw no clasp. He gave her a confused look and she said nervously, ‘You gave me a haunted locket?’

He smiled reassuringly. ‘No, I would never do something that foolish. Hermione told me that if we wore them together, that there would be a bond between us.’

She poked him playfully and said, ‘You said this wasn’t an engagement-sort of thing!’

He laughed nervously. ‘I don’t think anything bad has happened. I mean, yeah, that was a bit jarring, but we’re both okay, right?’

She nodded and fingered the chain again. ‘So, I can’t take this off?’

He gave her a remorseful look and said, ‘Um, I’m not sure…’ He reached an arm around her and said apologetically, ‘I didn’t mean for this to be permanent…’

She shook her head and said, ‘Its okay, Harry. I think I can handle a necklace that warms me up.’

He shifted his weight nervously. ‘Here, let me look at it.’

He reached behind her, trying to smile, but wondering what new embarrassment he’d have to endure and put Ginny through. His fingers ran around the chain and he balked as the clasp materialised in front of him. He smiled slightly as Ginny said, ‘How did you do that?’

Harry laughed. ‘From what I recall, the legend of these two items has to do with the person giving and the person receiving. And the…’ He looked up at her nervously and continued, ‘The love that the two bear for one another.’

She smiled at him and said quietly, ‘So it comes off, if you want it to?’

He said hurriedly, ‘Not because I care for you less.’

She sighed calmly and took his hand away from the clasp. ‘Don’t. It feels nice. And this is the first thing you’ve ever really given me.’

He breathed a sigh of relief and kissed her softly on the back of the head. ‘Don’t feel any obligation if…’

He couldn’t finish as she turned giving him a mischievous smile. ‘Harry, don’t ruin our perfect afternoon.’

He smiled and said, ‘That is the last thing from my mind right now!’

She took his face in her hands and kissed him longingly. They pulled away slowly and she whispered, ‘Now we really are going to be late.’

He wrapped his arm around her waist and replied, ‘I know you’re right, but I just want to sit in the sun for a little while longer.’

She gave him a sceptical look. ‘Why don’t I believe you?’

He gave her his most genuine smile and replied, ‘I can’t imagine why. Do I give you the impression that I don’t plan on going to my own…party?’

She laughed loudly and shook her head. ‘Alright, Harry. Let’s get moving.’

She bent forward and started putting the pieces of their lunch away and Harry grabbed her arms and pulled her back. ‘What kind of boyfriend would I be if I let you clean up for me?’

She leaned back comfortably in his arms and replied, ‘A normal one.’

She turned and gave him a sweet smile and he looked around them before waving his wand and having all the plates stack themselves back into the basket. He slowly loosened his grip around her and she pulled herself out of his lap. Harry had noticed the warmth from the ring increasing the more he and Ginny gave in to their desires.

She smiled back at him and slowly got to her feet. He picked the basket up and started folding the blanket. She smiled at him and pulled the blanket out of his hands, folding it for him. He smiled and said, ‘So, this is it? The end of our very first date?’

She smiled back at him. ‘I think it went very well, don’t you?’

He sighed and nodded. ‘Brilliantly.’

He reached an arm out to her and pulled her close. ‘I guess we’d better head back then.’

She nodded and rested her head on his chest. He looked around them to make sure no one was watching and Apparated them both back to the garden outside of the Burrow.

Chapter Endnotes: I'm trying my best to update...but things are out of my control. Thanks for those that are still reading and interested.