Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Harry was surprised to see Hermione, Ron, Neville and Luna outside waiting for them. Much like Bill’s and Fleur’s wedding, Mrs. Weasley had put together an outdoor pavilion of sorts. Mr. Weasley waved jovially at Harry and Ginny and beckoned them over to the grill. Harry sighed, wishing he had asked for a whole day with Ginny, but was thankful he’d gotten the time he had. She pulled away from him and Harry noticed a broad smile creeping across Hermione’s face.

Harry walked towards Mr. Weasley, who shook his hand enthusiastically. ‘Happy Birthday, Harry! Hope you and Ginny had a nice time!’

Harry nodded, putting the basket down and said, ‘Yes, it was fantastic. A perfect start to my birthday.’

Mrs. Weasley came bustling out of the kitchen with a full dish and exclaimed, ‘There you two are! We’ve been waiting for you!’

Harry looked down apologetically. ‘Sorry about that, Mrs. Weasley. We must have lost track of time.’

Ginny nodded next to Harry and said, ‘But we’re here now and everything looks wonderful!’

Mrs. Weasley nodded and walked past them towards Mr. Weasley while Ginny gave Harry a nudge and said, ‘I’m going to go inside and freshen up.’

He sadly watched her walk away and turned to see the smiling faces of his friends. Harry walked over to Hermione and embraced her. ‘Hermione, how are you? We’ve been missing you. All of us.’

Harry looked pointedly at Ron, whose perpetual scowl had disappeared now that Hermione was back. Hermione smiled at him. ‘So I’ve heard. Things are…okay. Better than they were. How was your date?’

He leaned close to her. ‘Amazing. I wish I could have gotten some more time with her, but it’s my birthday, or so everyone keeps telling me.’

Hermione smiled and whispered so no one could hear, ‘I’ve noticed you finally mustered the courage, how did she handle it?’

Harry’s smile broadened and he replied, ‘Fantastically. Thanks, Hermione. I couldn’t have done it without you.’

Hermione laughed as Ron clapped a hand on Harry’s shoulder. ‘Happy Eighteenth, Harry!’

Harry smiled up at Ron and replied, ‘Thanks!’

He moved around his two best friends and shook hands with Neville. ‘Its been too long, how are you?’

Neville replied, ‘Happy Birthday, Harry! I’ve been well. Did you reply to Kingsley? I can’t quite believe it myself!’

Harry nodded. ‘I did, actually, just last week. I start my training in a couple weeks. You’ll be joining Ron and me, right?’

Neville nodded. ‘My grandmother wouldn’t hear of me declining Kingsley’s offer.’

Harry nodded and saw Luna standing a few paces back. She walked forward and embraced him. ‘How are you, Harry? Happy Birthday.’

Harry smiled, thinking to himself, Ginny was right; this is the exact same Luna. He replied, ‘Brilliant. How are you? How’s your summer?’

Luna replied airily, ‘The summer has been too short. Dad’s been rather busy with The Quibbler. He’s made some startling discoveries about Nargles.’

Harry nodded politely. ‘You don’t say? I didn’t realise there was anything new to learn about Nargles.’

Luna laughed. ‘Of course, Harry! Loads to learn about them!’

Harry tried to stay interested, but thankfully Mrs. Weasley announced that dinner was ready and he didn’t have to feign any further interest. It wasn’t that he didn’t like Luna; it was just that she could be really out there and he was dying to spend more time with Ginny. He also had to find out from Hermione how she and her family were doing.

Everyone sat around the table outside and enjoyed a supple meal that Mrs. Weasley had worked on most of the afternoon. Harry couldn’t say enough about how amazing the food was, but he had a hard time concentrating. Ginny was sitting next to him and he was mesmerised by her. She had also taken a shower or something because she had the most intoxicating scent around her.

Harry didn’t realise how much he’d missed the constant chatter provided by having a full house. Hermione had broken the news to the group that she was going back to Hogwarts for her final year. Ron had not let her out of his sight since Harry and Ginny had returned. Harry was getting the impression that any tension his two friends had been feeling was long gone. Neville retold his story about his interview with The Daily Prophet and Luna had countless entertaining stories about various magical creatures her father was hunting.

Mrs. Weasley brought the cake out and there were a series of rousing renditions of ‘Happy Birthday’ and ‘For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow,’ before Harry was able to blow out the candles. More gifts were brought out, much to Harry’s chagrin. He felt over-whelmed by everyone’s generosity and kept repeating ‘thank you.’

Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and no one showed any signs of getting bored. Unfortunately, Luna had an early morning with her father and promised to see everyone at the train station prior to her, Ginny and Hermione going back to Hogwarts. Neville had promised his grandmother he’d be home before ten and it was nearing that time when he bade the group farewell and thanked Mrs. Weasley profusely for having him.

This left Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny to enjoy the rest of the evening with each other. Both Ginny and Harry bombarded Hermione with questions. She answered them as best she could, but Harry had a feeling she was hiding something.

Harry asked, ‘So, you got there, and your parents laid into you right away?’

Hermione sighed. ‘Not exactly, Harry. I mean, they were so worried, that I thought they didn’t want me to be around. They basically said they wanted me to spend some time with them, and explain what it is we were doing all of last year.’ She looked over at Ron and continued, ‘That was a difficult conversation. Explaining Voldemort was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to explain.’

Ginny watched her and said quietly, ‘But are they going to let you go back to Hogwarts this fall?’

She nodded. ‘Yes, they realise I can’t be a Muggle. Especially now that I know what is out there for me in the magical world.’

Ron chimed in, ‘And now they want to meet your boyfriend.’

He had a proud smile on his face and Harry had to exert a great deal of effort not to laugh in his face. Ginny caught the expression crossing his face and placed a hand on Harry’s knee, shaking her head at him. She said, ‘That’s great! So, who are you taking, Hermione?’

Ron rolled his eyes. ‘Ha, ha, very funny, Ginny. She’s taking me.’

Hermione nodded. ‘I hope you and Harry can keep yourselves out of trouble while Ron and I take a short trip up north.’

She didn’t say more about where they were going, and Harry didn’t feel up to prying. He said, ‘When are you planning on leaving?’

Hermione gave him a strained look and said, ‘Tomorrow; if Ron can be ready by then.’

Harry was shocked. He knew Ginny reflected the same surprise he did. Ginny said quietly, ‘Are you sure everything’s okay? That’s an awfully quick visit.’

Hermione looked sadly at them. ‘They want me home…but I couldn’t miss your birthday, Harry.’

Harry smiled. ‘I’m glad you could come, but if you want to talk about…I mean…’ He fumbled for a second and laughed uncomfortably. ‘I don’t know much about parents, but if you want to talk about this, we’re here for you.’

Ginny nodded. ‘Of course, Hermione. Ron’s not the only one that’s here for you.’

Hermione smiled. ‘Thanks, both of you. I think I’m okay. I mean, I’m dealing with this as best I can. Its just a bit confusing. I feel like either way they’ll be upset with me.’

Ron rubbed her back consolingly and said, ‘I know a lot about parents being upset with you. Grin and bear it, I say. They’re your parents. They love you no matter what.’

She shook her head and looked down. ‘I know you’re right, but it’s hard. They seem…afraid of me. As if I’m going to do something to hurt them. But I’d never…I mean, I did it all to protect them!’

Harry nodded. ‘We know. I thought it was a good idea. Memory charms can be tricky things. You’re the most able witch to be casting one that I know of.’

She smiled. ‘Maybe, but it was still dangerous to do. The lasting effect has been tough to deal with, for them and me.’

She sighed. ‘Anyway, I don’t want to bring everyone down on Harry’s birthday!’

Harry laughed. ‘Hermione, we haven’t seen you in weeks, we want to know how you’re doing!’

Hermione replied, ‘Thanks, Harry. I hope you don’t mind if I head to bed. I know we’re supposed to be celebrating, but I could use some rest.’

Ron got up and added, ‘Yeah, I’m going to head to bed too.’

Ginny rolled her eyes and got up, hugging Hermione. ‘I’m really glad you’re back, even if it is for a short time. Your bed is still set up in my room. Good night.’

Harry hugged Hermione also and laughed, saying, ‘What she said. Don’t leave tomorrow without saying goodbye.’

She laughed. ‘I promise I won’t leave without seeing both of you. Good night.’

Harry and Ginny sat quietly watching Ron and Hermione retire and Harry said quietly, ‘I didn’t realise how hard Ron had fallen for Hermione until now.’

Ginny laughed. ‘I know…it’s like he doesn’t want her out of his sight.’

Harry smiled. ‘You could argue people are saying the same thing about us.’

He leaned in to kiss her but she jumped up. ‘Harry! I have your gift upstairs!’

Harry replied, getting up quickly. ‘But I didn’t ask you to get me anything!’

She ran inside the house and Harry followed her into the kitchen. He couldn’t believe how wonderful and non-life threatening his birthday had been this year. He breathed a sigh of relief and listened as Ginny came back down the stairs with a small package in her hands. She started quickly, ‘I know you said you didn’t want anything, but I couldn’t imagine not giving you something.’ She laughed. ‘And I didn’t want to give you the same thing I gave you last year!’

He smiled and took a step towards her. ‘Trust me; I would love to have that gift again. I’ll never forget it.’

She blushed. ‘Then it was the gift that kept giving.’

He nodded as she handed him the package. ‘It’s nothing too exciting I’m afraid…’ She touched the locket around her neck. ‘Not even close compared to the gift you gave me.’

He smiled. ‘I’m hoping that’s a gift that keeps giving as well.’

She smiled at him and said, ‘Happy Eighteenth, Harry.’

He unwrapped the package and gave her a curious look. Enclosed in the package was a book, it looked like a journal. ‘Thanks, Ginny.’

She laughed and said, ‘Wait, Harry. It isn’t just a book. I thought, well, with our being apart this year.’ She smiled nervously. ‘Anyway, we can both write in our journals and the messages are sent as if we were sitting together.’ She pulled her journal out and placed his on the counter. She wrote something quickly and Harry was amazed to see the words appear in his journal, ‘Hope you’re having a great birthday, Harry. I had a fantastic time at lunch today.’

Harry touched the pages as the words appeared and said, ‘This is amazing. How did you find these?’

She smiled. ‘It took a bit of searching. I know it isn’t flashy or anything.’

He shook his head and put an arm around her, pulling her near him. ‘It’s perfect, and really thoughtful. Thank you.’

He kissed her softly and she leaned up to kiss him more comfortably. A loud eruption of fire could be heard behind them and Harry pulled away from Ginny reluctantly as, much to Harry’s dismay, George appeared out of the flames. He smiled a wicked smile and said, ‘I hope I didn’t miss the festivities.’

He sneered at them and Harry felt a foreboding feeling crush him. He couldn’t tell if it was coming from Ginny, through the ring, or the look on George’s face. Ginny took a step closer to Harry and replied coolly, ‘I’m afraid so, George, but I think there’s still some food around here, if you’re hungry.’

George took a step forward and said, ‘No, there’s only one thing I want.’

In one swift motion Harry lost complete track of everything in the kitchen. George pulled his wand out and without saying a word, shot a jet of purple at Harry. A split-second after that Harry heard Ginny yell, ‘Protego!’ and he tried to push her out of the way.

He felt the spell slam into his chest, knocking the wind out of him and he felt his body slam into the floor, his head hitting the ground hard. He felt a strong pair of hands grab his shoulders and wrap tightly around them as he lost consciousness shortly thereafter.