Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry woke up relatively late the next morning. He had a busy day ahead of him. He decided he would go to the Ministry of Magic that day, now was just as good a time as any to discover if he had managed to get into any more trouble. He realised that although he was of age, he still had a lot to learn before becoming a full-fledged wizard.

Kreacher had a hot breakfast waiting for him. Harry ate quickly and left shortly thereafter, telling Kreacher he’d be home that evening.

He headed out the door and waited for fewer passer-bys to leave before apparating to downtown London. The Ministry of Magic was located near the centre of London. Harry headed for the phone booth around the corner that he and Mr. Weasley had used previously. Once inside, he was lowered into the main building and recognised by every wizard and witch as he stepped out. He had the distinct feeling he should have worn nicer robes.

He headed towards the security desk and was greeted warmly and directed to the Acting Minister’s offices. Ascending an elevator Harry, was happy to see the familiar visage of Kingsley Shackelbolt. He smiled broadly, ‘Welcome Harry – so wonderful to see you again!’ His voice boomed across the entranceway. Harry shook his hand and was guided into his office where a few Ministry officials were milling around. They greeted him and left shortly thereafter, far too quickly for Harry to remember all their names and faces.

Harry had never been in the previous Minister of Magic’s office and was surprised to see how sparsely furnished it was. The furniture had an antique feel to them, but there were many items doing work on their own; a quill and parchment feverishly writing and a pair of books seemingly consulting a third book. Harry was astounded by all the spells Kingsley was using, and though he wanted to ask, he waited patiently for Kingsley to speak.

Kingsley motioned to the chair across from his desk and Harry sat down. He smiled warmly at Harry, ‘Is there anything I can get you?’

Harry shook his head, speaking quietly, ‘What did you need to see me about?’

He hoped his tone was appropriate, but Kingsley chuckled, ‘You have nothing to be concerned with. I have asked you here to talk to you about your future plans. I know you had wanted to be an Auror, having spoken with Professor McGonagall, but having foregone your last year at Hogwarts, you are not, necessarily, ready to take your NEWT’s. Those are, of course, required. But having seen your actions over the last few months lead to the downfall of the most villainous wizard of all time, I am sure we can make allowances for you, Ms. Granger and Mr. Weasley.’

The statement took Harry by surprise. He was so used to Fudge’s and Scrimgeour’s way of running the Ministry – false kindness and true love for bureaucracy. Harry smiled finally, realising he hadn’t said anything, ‘I have to be honest – I hadn’t really thought about it. I very much would like to be an Auror, but I’m not sure I want to jump into things immediately.’

Kingsley shook his head, ‘No, no, of course you want to relax a bit – but perhaps, this fall, instead of reporting to Hogwarts, you can come join us? Just something to think about,’ he added.

Harry nodded. He realised what a blessing this was; not having to worry about the NEWTs and be given a job at the Ministry of Magic. He smiled politely, ‘Is there anything I can do for you, Kingsley?’

Kingsley shook his head, ‘Harry, you have done more for the wizarding world over the last few years than anybody could ask for. You deserve some peace and quiet. But once you’ve gotten tired of that,’ he rose and crossed the room. Harry followed suit and got up, heading for the door. ‘Please come look us up – the Ministry is a great place to work and we could really use some one like you.’

Kingsley shook his hand vigorously and saw him back to the elevators, keeping the people around at bay. ‘Come and visit me again sometime Harry! And do let me know what you’ve decided.’ He said the last part more quietly as they parted.

Harry was beyond relieved as he emerged from the Ministry of Magic. He was sure he would have heard some reproach for his behaviour, but none was to be found in Kingsley’s manner or voice. He was genuinely happy for Harry and wanted him to join the Ministry of Magic.

After emerging from the Ministry of Magic, Harry found himself walking towards Diagon Alley. He had lost so many things in his travels – he could use newer robes, an owl, even a broomstick. Though if he weren’t at school he wasn’t sure what he’d need the latter for. But not having a broom seemed like a strange situation. He still couldn’t believe how many things he’d lost over the last year, but he had gained quite a few as well.

His thoughts flowed back to those last few minutes he’d been able to spend with Ginny. He didn’t want to go back to the Burrow empty handed. He had missed her birthday entirely, and not the first time. He wanted to give her something special, something that would help them re-establish the closeness they once had.

He stopped at a storefront; had they ever really been that close? Had he ever actually told her how he felt? His eyes strayed over to a curio shop, flowing across the window display. He’d never noticed the shop before, but something in the window had caught his eye. It was a simple necklace, but the locket that hung from the simple, gold chain was stunning. It resembled a coat of arms, but was much smaller in size, so the exact design could not be discerned from a distance. As Harry admired it, he noticed a companion piece that matched in design, but was clearly a man’s ring. He wondered why a designer would make a matching locket and ring and pushed open the shop door.

The shop was rather busy and Harry’s entrance had gone relatively un-noticed. A witch, who clearly worked at the shop. bustled forward, ‘I see something in my shop window has caught your eye, Mr. Potter.’

He nodded, unfazed by being recognised and pointed to the window, ‘There’s a locket with a matching ring in the window, I was just wondering – ‘

The shopkeeper broke in before he finished, ‘It is the locket and ring of Boeotia, the name originating from the island that is rumoured to have been visited by the Greek Goddess Aphrodite. It is said that should one half of this pair be gifted from one lover to the other, the two have a bond that can be communicated through. And can only be broken by the one who gave the gift.’ Her tone was airy, but her eyes were focused on him.

Harry looked sceptically at her, ‘It is only a myth, then?’

‘Mr. Potter – all truth is born from some tales or stories. I do not, so lightly, disregard such stories as mere child’s play,’ she had taken the locket and ring out of the window and placed them on a table where she sat down across a standing Harry.

He continued his gaze, alternating from her back to the locket. ‘Like many magical artifacts, it is often said that these items choose their owners. You stopped for a reason, Mr. Potter.’

Harry looked at her again, not really believing but knowing he felt a strong sensation emanating from the two. He reached his hand out towards the ring and locket and felt a surge of energy. He looked up at her, his eyes wide and confused, and she said, ‘I believe the choice has been made. Shall I wrap them up for you?’

He looked at her dumbfounded, not remembering why he had even entered the shop, but his gaze followed the two items closely as she wrapped them up and handed him the bag. He paid for the items and found himself outside the shop.

Harry made his way through Diagon Alley. Children littered the streets; some bustling in and out of a particular joke shop Harry recognised immediately, Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. The place still seemed to be quite busy. Harry was surprised to see the place open and quickly stowed his package beneath his robes as he went into the joke shop.

Any and all manner of items of fun and merriment could be found in this joke shop. Fred and George had been able to turn their hobby into a money-making machine. Harry wondered if George were there running the shop but quickly noticed the non-red-headed wizard sitting behind the counter helping youngsters spend their money on any number of items. Harry meandered around the less busy sections of the store, not really certain why he stayed, seeing that none of the Weasleys were there. Harry looked sadly at all of the items around the shop, how many hours had Fred and George spent perfecting their wares? And now poor Fred, thanks in part to Harry, would never again see the fruits of his labour. The queue by the counter was not getting any shorter and as Harry was about to turn and leave he saw a flash of red hair from the back room that appeared and disappeared.

He started, and then walked over, not paying any mind to the attendant behind the counter who hadn’t noticed him either, and pushed his way past the curtain. A very familiar sight met him as he entered; Ginny was tottering on a ladder, reaching for a box or case of some new product. Her red hair was cascading around her shoulders. She was wearing a black sweater and simple skirt, similar to the ones worn at Hogwarts. Her form was perfectly captured by her obvious stretching. She hadn’t noticed Harry enter nor approach. He stood for a few seconds; admiring her appearance, then realising her predicament went forward quickly as she slipped down the last few steps of the ladder, losing her grip on the box and the ladder.

Harry grabbed the ladder and placed his free hand on the small of her back to stop her fall. She jumped a little and turned quickly, startled by his presence, ‘Harry!’

He smiled back at her, ‘Are you all right?’

She shook her head, her hair falling away from her face, laughing, ‘I just lost my balance a little, I’m fine. What are you doing here?’

She sounded breathless as she spoke, distracted by something other than Harry. He looked at her for a second, his hands resting on either side of the ladder, encircling her, his voice low, ‘I just came to Diagon Alley to look around. Its been a while since…well, you know. And I was growing a little tired of Kreacher’s company.’

Ginny smiled up at him but didn’t try to get past him. She looked blankly at him for a few seconds and he stepped back, ‘Do you want me to pull that box down?’

She nodded silently, clearly thinking of something but not saying it. He scaled the ladder quickly and pulled the box down with ease, setting it on a lower shelf and looking at Ginny. Her eyes seemed glazed over and he reached out placing both hands on her shoulders, ‘Ginny, why are you even here? Shouldn’t you be at home?’

Ginny looked away from him, she didn’t answer him, but tried to walk past him, her eyes welling up with tears. He quickly reached out and grabbed her arm, gently pulling her back towards him. He asked, ‘What’s wrong?’

He was fairly certain he knew the answer, his arms wrapped around her but she pushed him away, ‘Harry, I promised George I would keep an eye on things for him so I have to get back to work.’ She wiped her eyes and turned away from him, trying to create some distance between them.

He didn’t let her get far, again reaching out and although she tried to break free from his grasp she couldn’t. Harry wrapped his arms around her and whispered softly, ‘I am so sorry, Ginny.’

She tried to push him away again, but he wouldn’t let her break their embrace. He knew she needed him, as he had needed her many times before. She struggled still and finally stopped, Harry could hear her heavy breathing. Ginny was fighting hard not to cry and it broke Harry’s heart to see her try to be so strong for him.

Ginny finally relented, ‘It isn’t your fault.’ Her voice broken and ragged, Harry could feel the hot tears coming down her face as he turned her face towards his. He leaned down and kissed her softly, wiping the tears off of her face.

She shook her head and pulled away, ‘This isn’t right.’

He didn’t stop her as she pushed him away and reached for the box. He stopped her here, lifting the box and looking at her with great concern. She gestured to the front of the store and he walked forward, stopping to look at her again, but she had already turned away, walking further into the back room.

Harry quickly placed the box behind the counter as the startled attendant asked how he had gotten past him. Harry indicated he was with Ginny and walked into the back room.

Ginny was not too far back and Harry quickly crossed the room, tentatively placing his hands on her shoulders and pulling her towards him. She dragged her feet a little, but as he wrapped his arms around her waist and placed his chin on her shoulder she eased back into his embrace. ‘Tell me what to do and I’ll do it,’ he said.

Ginny shook her head and stood their silently, taking in his warmth. She still said nothing and Harry didn’t dare push. He couldn’t imagine what she was going through and could only think to be there for her in whatever capacity he could. He could feel her breathing become rapid as she tried desperately not to cry. He loosened his grip around her and turned her to face him, her eyes red, she turned away from him, not wanting to look him in the face.

In all her sorrow, he saw only more beauty and pulled her closer, lifting her face to his, ‘You are amazing.’ But she laughed at him a little and turned away, her normally smiling face replaced with a distraught frown.

Harry was beyond confused now. He stepped back as she pulled away again. He finally spoke, breaking the silence, ‘Ginny, don’t do this to me – please, don’t shut me out. I know we have a lot to talk through, figure out, but I can’t do it without you.’

His pleading voice must have gotten her attention; she turned slowly, but didn’t speak, her hands hanging loosely at her sides. He approached her cautiously and took one of her hands in his, kissing the back of her hand softly and waiting for her to say something.

Ginny stood there quietly, silently crying. Harry lead her by the hand to a stool in the back corner of the room, pulling her onto it as he stood behind her, his hand caressing her back as she rigidly leaned towards his body. He wasn’t used to her crying, she wasn’t that sort of girl, having all brothers, but the shock of the last week would have had some effect.

He tried to pull her closer, but her body remained rigid, her muscles strangely tensed. He began to slowly massage the back of her head, knowing that there was little else he knew to do. Her breathing finally started to slow, no longer gasping for air between sobs, her body relaxing against his.

‘I’m sorry,’ she said quietly, ‘I know I shouldn’t still be so…’ her voice trailing off at the end of the unfinished sentence.

Harry shook his head and pulled her closer, ‘There is nothing for you to be sorry about Ginny – I am the one that should be sorry. I just didn’t want to intrude on your family time.’

She pushed him away roughly, looking at him, ‘You can’t be serious.’ Her face was tear-streaked, but her eyes had the same ferocity that he knew well. ‘That is your excuse; you don’t think you’re family enough?’

Harry smiled a little, happy to see an emotion other than sorrow, ‘I’m not family Ginny – even if your parents have treated me like family, even if I expect to be part of the family, I’m still partially responsible for the…deaths that happened.’

Ginny look at him more sternly, ‘You’re really full of it sometimes, you know that?’ She squeezed one of his hands reassuringly, “Expect to be part of the family’ that was very sly of you Harry.’ She kissed him softly and got up from the stool. ‘I didn’t realise that was an intention of yours.’

Her eyes held no secrets here; Harry knew the damage control he’d have to perform would not be small. Sighing he replied, ‘I know that I may not have ever told you how I felt, but I do care deeply for you. I’ve just been a little confused about things, so I thought it would be better to stay away, rather than suffocate you. I really did this because I thought that was what you wanted.’

She didn’t seem to be accepting this either and turned away from him, ‘There is a lot of work that needs to be taken care of Harry, so…?’

She left the sentence unfinished and he looked at her for a second before crossing the short distance between them, grabbing her and pulling her towards him, kissing her passionately. Her hands gently pushed on his chest, but he didn’t relinquish his hold on her, knowing that this was what he needed, what they both needed. He loosened his grip slightly and she ran her hands up his arms and wrapped her arms around his neck, pushing her forehead against his to create space, both of them inhaling deeply as their kiss broke.

‘That is cheating, Harry,’ her voice broke the silence and her eyes had a playful air to them.

His hands ran up her back and his fingers swam through her hair as he slowly pulled her back towards him, leaning down and kissing her softly on the cheek and neck whispering between kisses, ‘I’m sorry Ginny. Tell me what to do to make it up to you.’

She laughed softly, ‘I don’t know that I can let you off that easily Harry – I really could get a lot of use out of this.’ She winked at him as she pulled his face towards hers, kissing him deeply.

They slowly broke apart, neither letting go of the other. Harry leaned in, ‘Just holding you, feels, well…perfect.’

She didn’t say anything, but rested her head on his shoulder, shutting her eyes and fully relaxing in his arms. Harry didn’t know how long they stood their, he felt as though he could have been there for a lifetime, but the bustle from the store started to get louder and Ginny slowly pushed herself away from him, clearly reluctant, her hands lingering on his chest before pulling away from him entirely. His hands grasped her shoulders, squeezing them gently before letting her break their contact completely. She slowly walked away from him and stopped before walking into the store, ‘Aren’t you coming?’

He smiled softly and followed her obediently out into the main part of the store and was surprised to see the crowd had thinned, though two familiar faces welcomed him.

‘Hello Harry!’ Hermione’s voice broke through the din and she walked over to him, embracing him. ‘How are you?’

He smiled back at her and stealing a glance at Ginny, ‘I’m fine – how are you? I thought you’d be with your parents still?’

Hermione sighed and nodded, ‘They’re back – they were not happy, to say the least, about what I had done to make them safe. But I feel better knowing they weren’t being hunted down while we were off doing what we needed to. Their getting back to normal hasn’t been easy, I think the process could go on for some time. Once the Ministry of Magic found them and I removed the memory charms, things have slowly been coming back to them, unfortunately, they’ve been rather upset with me. So I’m spending a little less time with them and a little more time at the Burrow these days. Though I need to check in on them every so often.’

Ron nodded, ‘Yeah, its been pretty quiet there, too.’

Ron was usually more talkative, but Harry knew there was very little that needed to be said between the three of them. Ron still had the stunned look he’d carried back at Hogwarts, Harry couldn’t imagine what life had been like at the Burrow without Fred.

Almost knowingly, Ron said, ‘Mum has been asking about why you haven’t spent more time with us this summer.’

It wasn’t really a question and Harry stood their for a second, knowing his way out with Ginny would absolutely not work with Ron, ‘I just didn’t think to intrude.’

Hermione shook her head, ‘Harry, that is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard you say, and over the last year, I’ve heard a lot of poorly thought out ideas from both of you.’

They all laughed, breaking what could have been a very awkward silence. Harry noticed Ginny had crossed the room and was helping some younger customers, ‘I’ll be by soon I think, I just wanted to get back to Grimmauld Place and just rest a little – it’s been a rather long few months.’

‘Harry, we’re your friends, even if we have seen a lot of one another, you could still have let us know what was going on instead of just disappearing.’ Hermione’s tone wasn’t accusatory, but somewhat worried.

‘I know. I really should have said something – but everyone was so caught up with their families, I just didn’t see the point hanging around.’ Harry sighed and looked at Hermione, ‘I’m sorry. I just – it had been too much in such a short time. I wanted to think things through.’

‘I think we all needed that Harry, but some of what happened is probably best not dealt with alone. That is what friendship is all about.’ Ron had nodded approvingly as Hermione spoke and Ginny walked back towards the group.

‘She’s right Harry – I think we all could have really helped one another. Though I am glad you did finally surface,’ she reached over and squeezed his hand before letting go.

Harry nodded. Three-against-one were odds he wasn’t going to try and fight. ‘Well, since we’re all in London, we can stop at Grimmauld Place for tea, I’m sure Kreacher might have something nice waiting for us.’

‘I’m not sure we should surprise him.’ Hermione said, her belief for house-elf equality showing.

‘Hermione, he is happy to be with me – I’m not forcing him to be there.’ Harry sighed but didn’t get remotely frustrated. He knew how she felt about it and he had often taken for granted the way house elves were treated. ‘I try to make Kreacher as comfortable as he’ll allow – I think he’d be thoroughly upset if I let him go!’

Hermione nodded faintly, but still had a somewhat disapproving look on her face. Ron nodded more enthusiastically, recalling Kreacher’s rather fine cooking, ‘That does sound like a nice idea. Plus, I’m curious what you may have done to change the place since last we were there.’

Hermione looked over at Ginny, ‘You’re coming with us, aren’t you?’

If Harry didn’t know better, Hermione seemed worried about Ginny staying behind. Ginny looked uneasy and Harry reached over and wrapping his arm around her shoulders, ‘Of course she is.’ He could feel her body go rigid under his arm but had a feeling she knew he’d apparate both of them should she argue.