Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thank you to all of you that continue reading and commenting! A big thank you to me Beta Ginny for sticking with me through all these crazy chapters!

I have to warn you loyal readers, I was, for a lack of a better term, lambasted for the next seven or so chapters at SIYE. And be advised that you should take into account all the things that have happened to cause the characters to react as they do. I wrote it to make logical sense to me, but others disagreed. To each their own. Thanks!

Harry had a fitful night of sleep. He didn’t remember all the events that had occurred the previous night, but did recall Ginny throwing a protection shield in front of him before he got slammed to the floor. He ached all over, as if he had been hit by the Knightbus. He looked across the room and could just make out Ginny’s figure curled up on a chair across from him. He sighed. She shouldn’t have slept so uncomfortably on his behalf. He tried to get up, but felt the exertion over-whelming him and sat back quickly.

She seemed to stir a bit, and he watched quietly with his eyes half-open until she got up and looked into the kitchen. He blinked a couple times before looking up at her.

She said quietly, ‘I didn’t mean to wake you.’

He smiled weakly at her. ‘I was awake. I was just watching you sleep. You had the most serene look on your face.’

She smiled and tried to push her hair away from her face. ‘Harry, I must be giving you a fright by how I look this morning!’

He shook his head slightly and said, ‘No, you look even more amazing than you did last night.’

She laughed. ‘’Harry, all this lying isn’t good for your soul.’

He raised his eyebrows. ‘Really? From what I can tell, my soul is doing just fine. My back on the other hand…’ He leaned forward slowly, wincing. ‘That could use some extra attention.’

She bent down next to him and placed a pillow behind him so he could sit up. ‘Is it time for some potions or something?’

She realised she hadn’t stayed awake for when the healers had come and had no idea about what Harry needed. She gave him a helpless look and he pointed to a table next to the couch. ‘The instructions are there…and I don’t think so. The healers said something about the aches and pains going away over time. They’re more worried about…something else.’

She looked at him worriedly. ‘Did they say what? And you were awake?’

He shook his head. ‘I may have looked asleep, but I could hear everything last night.’

He reached out and took her hand in his, kissing it. ‘Everything.’

She gave him a nervous look and said, ‘I do have a tendency to tell Hermione things…maybe I should be telling you.’

He nodded and leaned back heavily. ‘I wish that you would. You don’t have to understand how I feel…I mean, that would be nice, but if you at least accept it at face-value, that’d be a big step.’

She smiled and looked down. ‘Why don’t I see what’s around to eat?’

He gripped her hand more tightly. ‘Why don’t you sit here with me so I can enjoy the view for a little bit longer?’

She blushed deeply. ‘Harry, neither of us have eaten and I think you’d do well to get some energy.’

She leaned forward kissing him softly on the cheek. ‘Besides, I’m not nearly in the state I’d like to be for you to see me!’

He shook his head but didn’t say anything. She got up slowly and headed out of the room, bringing a hot cup of tea a few minutes later, but looking no less dishevelled. He took the tea gladly and asked, ‘What happened? You seem alright, physically, but what about everyone else? I thought I heard Percy’s voice last night?’

She nodded. ‘He was here. Ron had to go fetch him…’

He gave her an inquisitive look. ‘Fetch him? Wait, what aren’t you telling me? I thought I heard Kingsley too.’

She looked around nervously, and slowly went over the previous nights events. Harry couldn’t believe his ears. How was it possible that something like that could have happened? George had been using a cursed wand, and had cursed Percy with it? He sat up slowly and asked, ‘So what does this mean?’

She looked away from him and said almost inaudibly, ‘I don’t know.’ She looked up and did her best to smile at him, saying, ‘You need to worry about getting better. Everything else will fall into place.’

He didn’t believe her. Not for one second. He frowned and said, ‘Ginny, your family is my family. If there’s something I can do, tell me.’

She shook her head. ‘Merlin, Harry, I wish there were…they…’ She stumbled and then continued, ‘They took George to the psychiatric ward of St. Mungo’s…’

She wiped her face and got up quickly. ‘I’m so sorry this happened on your birthday.’

He tried to reach up, but winced in pain and said, ‘Ginny, wait! Don’t be sorry. We had a fantastic time yesterday; I wouldn’t trade that for anything in the world.’

She smiled, but he could see she was fighting with something. She took a step towards the stairs and said, ‘Harry, are you going to be okay by yourself for a bit? I think I’ll go shower and make myself look a bit presentable for you. I’ll try to send Ron or Hermione down if either is awake.’

He reached his hand out to her and she took it, squeezing it. He smiled and said, ‘You look fantastic to me, love, but go ahead, I’m fine. Really.’

She gave him a weak smile before heading out of sight. Not ten minutes had passed and he could hear someone coming down the stairs. Harry was shocked to see it was Ron, and not Hermione.

He laughed. ‘Expecting my better half, were you?’

Harry laughed back at him. ‘No offence, mate, but yeah! What are you doing up so early?’

Ron sighed and sat down across from Harry. ‘Ah, come on, Harry. Mayhem in this house and you think I could sleep through it?’

He sat up on the edge of the chair he was sitting on and said quietly, ‘Mum and dad are really torn up about what happened…I’m not sure how they’re dealing with it…They went with Kingsley late last night to take George…’

Harry watched his friend closely and said, ‘Ron, I’m really sorry. I didn’t think he was really capable of this either.’

Ron nodded. ‘You shouldn’t apologise, Harry. You didn’t ask for this. I’m more worried about Percy right now. He blames himself for all of this. Explains why he tried to fight me when we were by the shop.’

Harry nodded. ‘Actually, it explains a lot.’

Ron sighed. ‘Well, after Ginny fell asleep down here, Kingsley went on to tell us something more interesting…well, or depressing. Not sure how to take it to be quite honest, according to Gaunt, George and others who lost people in the battle were targeted. Death Eaters knew they could do even more damage by taking people who were already wracked with guilt and use them to their advantage. George had no chance. He was crushed when it had happened. At least now...’ Ron looked away from Harry and then continued more quickly, ‘At least now George can get some closure.’

Harry gave Ron a worried look. ‘Something tells me that George might still want me dead.’

Ron tried to laugh but mustered a loud exhale. ‘I’m ‘fraid so, Harry. Merlin! I think Ginny’s right sometimes, how do you stand spending so much time with us!’

Harry laughed. ‘That wasn’t quite how I’d phrased it, but Ron, I love your family. Even if George wants my head mounted on the wall!’

Ron sat back heavily and said quickly, ‘Hermione sent a letter to her parents. She’s going to try to stay a little later to make sure you’re better. We talked about it.’

Harry sat up slowly and said, ‘Ron, no. I don’t want you and Hermione worrying after me. I don’t expect Ginny to, either!’

‘You don’t expect Ginny to what?’ Ginny had walked into the room and gave Harry an inquisitive look.

He looked at her consolingly. ‘Ron’s just making me feel like a patient, but I’m fine! I don’t need looking after!’

Ginny looked hurt and Harry continued, ‘It isn’t that I don’t want the help, but I will not be a bother. Not anymore.’

Ginny narrowed her eyes. ‘What do you mean ‘not anymore?”

He sighed and leaned back. ‘I just think I could bother Kreacher for a bit instead.’

Ginny looked at him defiantly and said, ‘Well, if you’re so anxious to go, go.’

Ron covered his mouth and turned his head to stifle his laughter as Harry laboured to swing his legs off the couch. Ginny’s frown turned into a smile as she said laughingly, ‘Alright, alright, you showed me! Sort of…’ She stood next to the couch and grabbed his legs, putting them back on the couch. ‘You’re not going anywhere until these potions are done.’

Harry tried to respond but leaned back heavily and nodded mutely. Ginny looked at him nervously and put a hand on his forehead, muttering, ‘Always have to be the hero, don’t you?’

He tried to laugh, but licked his lips and she took a nearby glass of water and sat him up slightly to sip it. He coughed and she shook her head. She whispered so Ron couldn’t hear, ‘What are you going to do without me, Potter?’

She had an alluring smile on her face and Harry replied just as quietly, ‘I don’t want to think about it.’

Hermione called from the stairs, ‘Harry, are you up?’

She stepped closer as Ginny pulled away, sitting just in front of the couch. Harry had barely noticed, but Ginny had showered and had an intoxicating scent all around her. She was wearing Muggle jeans and a Hogwarts sweatshirt. It seemed much larger than her and Harry realised it was his. He smiled and looked up at Hermione. She smiled back at him and said, ‘You gave us all quite a scare last night, but it looks like you’re doing much better.’

He replied, ‘I’m still a little sore, but I think I’m fine.’

Hermione sat down next to Ron. Ron wrapped his arm around Hermione and kissed her on the cheek. Harry was surprised to see Hermione not flush at this and smiled. Ginny was watching him and smiled before saying, ‘Why don’t we all eat something? Ron, you’ve been up for hours, did mum leave anything about for us?’

Ron replied without tearing his gaze from Hermione, ‘Yeah, a whole breakfast spread is in there.’

Ginny rolled her eyes and said, ‘Harry, let me see what I can bring in here for you.’

He shook his head. ‘Just help me up; I’m sure I can make it into the kitchen.’

She gave him a sceptical look. ‘Harry, I don’t think this is a good idea.’

He smiled at her. ‘Trust me, I’m fine. I don’t think lying down is going to make me feel better anyway.’

She looked worriedly over at Ron and Hermione, but neither could be torn from the other. She sighed and helped Harry swing his feet off of the couch. He sat up slowly, and shakily reached an arm out towards Ginny. She grabbed him under the arm and tried to help him up. Harry’s legs couldn’t support him at all and in his loss of balance, he pulled Ginny down onto the couch with him. They landed on top of each other and Harry could feel Ginny laughing into his chest.

He joined her in laughing, it felt good and he felt himself relax. ‘I guess you were right, love…’

She smiled down at him and said, ‘That’s often the case, dear.’

He sighed and allowed her to help him into a sitting up position. She pushed a tuft of her hair away from her face and said, ‘So, can I go to the kitchen without having to worry about you?’

He smiled up at her and replied, ‘Yes, dear.’

Hermione had looked up at the commotion and Harry could see her laughing at them. Ron got up slowly and helped Hermione up.

Harry watched sadly as all three of his friends went into the kitchen, leaving him alone to think about what had happened on his birthday. He felt immensely guilty that all he could think about was the warmth that hadn’t ceased emanating from the ring. He knew that must mean that, at the very least, Ginny was thinking about him. He couldn’t imagine what Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were going through.

Ginny walked back into the room with a plate and sat down next to Harry. ‘I probably should have gotten a tray.’

He shook his head and smiled. ‘This is perfect. Thanks, love.’

He leaned over and kissed her softly. She said quietly, ‘You feeling well enough to eat?’

He nodded but suddenly felt sick. She commented softly, ‘Harry, you’re looking positively green, but you have to eat something. Just try to eat a bit of toast and I’ll give you one of your potions.’

He nodded mutely at her, never realising that food could be so unappetising. She smiled and brushed his hair away from his face before getting up. ‘Let me get you some tea.’

He looked up and said, ‘I feel bad you’re…waiting on me.’

She smiled and said, ‘Just know I expect this if I get sick.’

He laughed and nodded, focusing on the toast once again. He ate the toast slowly, one bite at a time. She returned shortly and placed the tea next to the table where his potions were. She shook her head disapprovingly. ‘Harry, you’ve hardly eaten half of your toast! You have to do better than that!’

He gave her a sad look and she said more emphatically, ‘Don’t even try it, Harry. You need to eat something!’

He nodded sadly and said, ‘I know…but food, for once, doesn’t seem quite as appealing.’

She put her hand on his forehead and said, ‘Feels like your fever is coming back.’

He smiled as she touched him; her hand was both soft and warm. She laughed and pulled away. ‘Harry, eat your toast, then you’re going to get some more rest.’

He looked at her helplessly and said, ‘Can’t I at least get up?’

She stood up and looked around. ‘Where are you going to go? You can hardly stand up!’

He raised his eyebrows. ‘You could use your magic to get me up.’

She shook her head. ‘Harry, eat your toast.’

He smiled up at her and slowly finished the single piece of toast and looked forlornly at the other piece. She came back in the room with Ron and Hermione in tow. They sat down around him and Hermione looked nervously at him.

He looked at them with a questioning look and Hermione started, ‘Harry, about last night…’

Harry put his hands up slowly. ‘What are you on about? There’s nothing to talk about!’

Ginny had sat down next to him and put a hand on his arm. ‘Harry, what we’re trying to get at is: we’re really worried about you. Last night you…you let George curse you!’

He looked up at her and retorted, ‘What are you talking about?’

She sighed and looked up at him, giving him a steady gaze. ‘Harry, you pushed me out of the way and left yourself open for being killed.’

He balked. ‘What should I have done? Let him hurt you…again!’

Hermione and Ron were watching the exchange quietly as Ginny railed into Harry, ‘I can take care of myself! And you knew “ you knew he was after you! He wasn’t going to hurt me when he was after you the whole time!’

His eyes were wide as she hollered at him and he said quietly, ‘What should I have done? Pretended like he didn’t hurt you before, right in front of me?’

She put an arm around his shoulders and said quietly, ‘I don’t know that I’ve ever been more terrified in my entire life than when you hit the ground like that…’ She sighed and looked away, ‘No, I can remember another time…and I don’t want to have to live through that ever again, Harry James Potter!’

He gave her his best sad eyes and she laughed and turned away from him. He looked imploringly at her. ‘I’m sorry…’ He looked over at Ron and Hermione. ‘I didn’t mean to…freeze up…I just, I knew what I wanted to do and I did it.’

Ginny turned around with a concerned look. ‘Harry, if you plan on working for the Ministry, I’m sure they’d like you to stay in one piece over protecting someone that can protect themselves.’

He looked down sullenly. ‘It isn’t that I didn’t think you could protect yourself, but you couldn’t have honestly expected me to just stand there!’

Ginny responded with exasperation, ‘Harry, you could have taken George out before he had done anything, but instead, you didn’t react.’

Harry wrung his hands nervously and could feel all their eyes on him. ‘I guess I sort of…panicked…’

Hermione chimed in, ‘And then froze…its so unlike you, Harry!’

Ginny sighed and leaned back against the couch. ‘This makes me thankful I wasn’t out there fighting with you lot. I can’t imagine you freezing up with all of the things that were going on.’

Harry looked at her imploringly. ‘Ginny, I know you can protect yourself…I don’t know why I didn’t just…I don’t know…’

Ron finally spoke up, ‘Harry, we’re not upset with you…well, maybe a little. But you can’t let yourself get over-concerned about protecting someone else and then get hurt yourself!’

Harry furrowed his brow but couldn’t get upset. He knew they were right. He nodded. ‘I know…I do…I just…come on, Ron! If it were Hermione, what would you have done!’

Ron laughed and said, ‘And you think Hermione can’t take care of herself in that sort of situation? Or that they’d prefer to curse me instead of her? Harry, that’s mad! Besides, I know Hermione wouldn’t hesitate.’

Hermione smiled and said, ‘Harry, I know we were all a little on edge about George before, but…well, in the future, I hope this won’t be an issue for you.’

Ginny rubbed Harry’s back consolingly. ‘Harry, we’re not upset with you. I’m really flattered you stood up for me, but I’m disappointed you didn’t protect yourself.’

He nodded mutely and leaned back slightly. Ginny continued, ‘I think we’ve given Harry enough of a hard time.’ And turning to Harry, she said, ‘And you look like you’re exhausted.’

Harry nodded weakly and said, ‘I am, but I feel like I should take a shower or something. And possibly change clothes…’

Hermione pulled her wand out. ‘We can get you to the bathroom, but I think you’re on your own once you get there.’

They all burst out into laughter and Harry felt himself smiling too. Ginny patted him gently. ‘I’ll draw you a bath and you can take it from there.’

He nodded and she got up and headed upstairs. Ron looked over at Harry and said, ‘Another exciting birthday?’

Harry nodded weakly, leaning back against the couch. ‘I swear, next year, we’re not celebrating at all!’

Hermione nudged Ron. ‘Why don’t you get some clean clothes for Harry and put them in the bathroom so he won’t be walking around…’

She started laughing and Ron got up quickly heading out of the room. ‘I don’t want to even think about who might enjoy that!’

Hermione got up and sat down next to Harry. ‘How are you feeling?’

He sighed and replied, ‘Not that great.’

She looked past him to the table. ‘I think you can take one of those potions, but I think you should do that after your bath.’ She sat for a moment before continuing, ‘Harry, how does the ring feel?’

He gave her a curious look and replied, ‘Fine, warm. Why?’

Hermione looked nervous and said, ‘Well, I was just wondering if you’d felt anything while you were out of it.’

Harry looked up thoughtfully and replied, ‘Now that you mention it, I felt warm, but it was a different sort of warm. When I was on the floor, in the kitchen, I could feel something…not heat, but something, coursing through me. I don’t know how to describe it better.’

Hermione looked at him imploringly. ‘Try harder.’

He turned abruptly and asked, ‘What? What’s wrong?’

Hermione shook her head. ‘Nothing. Just keep talking.’

He didn’t believe her but continued, ‘It was like I could feel something else. Like, this might sound crazy, like something was trying to get me to wake up, but I couldn’t. I was just lost in a haze.’

Hermione nodded and said, ‘I think I should have spent more time looking at those things…I don’t think Ginny was adversely affected, but I’ll have to ask her too.’

Ginny had just come down the stairs and said, ‘Ask me what?’

Hermione looked worriedly from Harry to Ginny and asked, ‘Is Ron still upstairs?’

Ginny nodded. ‘Yeah, want me to get him?’

Hermione shook her head and replied hurriedly, ‘No. I think…I think you two should be really careful about the locket and ring.’ Ginny gave her a confused look and Hermione said, ‘Ginny, what did you feel, last night? From the locket, I mean.’

Ginny looked at Harry thoughtfully and replied, ‘Cold, like I had been outside in the winter too long.’

Hermione said quietly, ‘I think there’s more power to those items than we may have realised. I think you both need to work to not let them channel things through you.’

Ginny gave her a questioning look. ‘What are you talking about?’

Hermione got up and said quietly, ‘I just think…based on what you’re saying, that you were feeling each other, through the locket and ring.’ She looked at Harry and said, ‘You were feeling warm because Ginny was thinking of you and trying to get you to wake up. Much like what you described.’

She looked at Ginny. ‘And since Harry wasn’t conscious, you were feeling a sort of void…I think you can control it, but you’re going to have to work at it, like anything else.’

Ginny smiled and laughed. ‘Harry, sometimes I don’t know what to think about you.’

Harry laughed softly and said, ‘I feel like I’m going to be apologising to you for the rest of my life!’

Ginny walked into the sitting room and said, ‘Don’t even think about it. Hermione’s right. Like anything else, this’ll just require some practice.’

Hermione smiled reassuringly at them and said, ‘You ready for your bath?’

Harry nodded and got up slowly. He was surprised to see he could balance, though Ginny rushed forward, wrapping an arm around him. ‘See, I’m glad you ate that toast!’

He smiled weakly at her, but felt light-headed. He wasn’t sure he could make it up all those steps, but he hated being so helpless. He moved his feet slowly. Hermione said, ‘Harry, didn’t we just get done talking about you being a hero?’

Harry turned slightly, putting a hand on the banister. ‘As I recall, you were telling me to take care of myself. Isn’t that what I’m doing?’

Ginny nudged him gently as she helped him up the stairs. ‘No, I think you’re endangering yourself yet again…’

He stopped at the first landing and said, ‘No, see, I’m fine.’

He was breathing rapidly and knew Ginny didn’t believe it for a second. She didn’t argue, but pulled more of his weight onto her, labouring their movement up the stairs. ‘Do you have to be so stubborn,’ she said under her breath.

When they had finally made it to the bathroom, they were both winded. ‘If my mother finds out about, this we’re all going to be in a lot of trouble!’

He nodded mutely, trying his best to stand on his own, but with no luck. He put a hand out to the bathroom sink to steady himself and said breathlessly, ‘See, that was easy.’

She sighed and shook her head, keeping an arm around him. ‘Harry, this is really too much.’ She took a few deep breathes before continuing, ‘I know you want to be strong and all, but you can’t fool me! I almost carried you up those stairs!’

He gave her a wry smile and said, ‘Just think, when you get sick, I’ll carry you.’

She smiled and rolled her eyes. ‘Brilliant, thanks so much.’

He took a tentative step towards the bathtub, stopping to sit heavily on the edge. She gave him a sad look and asked, ‘Do you even have the energy to get undressed?’

He nodded and replied, ‘Just give me a few minutes.’

Ron came upon them and said, ‘Blimey, Harry! Did you just walk up all those stairs!’

Harry shook his head and gestured towards Ginny. Ron balked and said, ‘She helped you! Without magic! I wish I had seen this!’

Ginny looked at Ron’s empty hands and said, ‘Weren’t you supposed to get something for Harry to wear?’

Ron nodded and asked, ‘What do you want to wear, mate?’

Ginny slapped Ron on the arm. ‘Does he look like he cares? Merlin’s belt, Ron! Are you really this thick? Just get whatever he sleeps in!’

Ron looked shocked and gave Harry a questioning look. Harry nodded and said, ‘Thanks, Ron.’

Ginny shook her head as Ron bounded back up the stairs to his room and she watched Harry closely. She took a step forward, putting her hand on his shoulder. ‘Harry, I don’t think you should have pushed yourself.’ She moved her hand to his forehead and sighed. ‘Your fever seems to be coming back in full force. I think after this we need to get you back in bed.’

He nodded but didn’t say anything. He was feeling very weak, and could mount no argument with her. She must have sensed something. She bent down and kissed him softly on the forehead. ‘You need to take it easier, Harry. You’re going to be wasting some of our last time together.’

She gave him a jovial smile and he returned the smile. He noticed he wasn’t wearing his shoes anymore and he was still wearing socks. He reached up slowly and fumbled with the buttons on his shirt. Ginny sighed and bent down, unbuttoning his shirt. She said quietly, ‘If you need help, Harry, you should feel free to ask.’

He nodded and said, ‘Ginny, can you help me?’

She laughed and kissed him softly. ‘You’re adorable when you’re helpless.’

He raised his eyebrows slowly and replied, ‘Aren’t I always?’

She pulled the shirt off, leaving a t-shirt underneath. She stopped and said, ‘Well, yes, you are…but…’

She seemed perplexed by this and he said quietly, ‘Are you worried I’m going to ask you take all my clothes off?’

She laughed and blushed. ‘I’m not sure I can handle that right now…but I have to say...’ She raised her eyebrows mischievously at him. ‘I can’t say I’m not enjoying the view.’

He smiled and tried vainly to pull the t-shirt off. Ginny stopped him, resting her hands on his sides, and said quickly, ‘I hate to say this, but why don’t you have Ron help you with this.’

He leaned forward, nudging her shoulder with his head and whispered, ‘Oh come on, Ginny.’

She caught his eyes and sighed, pulling his glasses gently off of his face and placing them on the nearby counter. She gently pulled the t-shirt up, revealing a fairly defined upper-body underneath. She caught her breath and Harry tried hard not to laugh at her reaction. He mumbled quietly while she pulled the t-shirt over his head. ‘I’m glad you’re enjoying the view.’

She smiled and put a hand on his shoulder as he swayed forward. ‘I am…very much…I’m also hoping and praying that no one sees us. I can’t imagine what mum might think…’

She inhaled sharply and Harry absently felt around the counter for his glasses. She handed them to him and said quietly, ‘I think I know what we’re supposed to do with that ointment now.’

He took a deep breath and felt a large bruise across his chest. Ginny bent down in front of him. ‘Harry, this looks awful. Does it hurt?’

He nodded slightly as she wrapped a towel around his shoulders, to keep him warm. ‘A little, not a lot…not like last night.’

Ron cleared his throat loudly. ‘I don’t even want to know, but Potter, hurt or not, don’t do anything I’ll have to hurt you for later!’

Ron didn’t have a kidding look in his eyes, and Ginny looked down quickly, turning bright red. She shot Harry a consoling smile and hurried out of the bathroom past Ron. Ron stepped in slowly, placing the clothes in Harry’s lap. He stepped closer to Harry. ‘In the future, if you need help, dressing or undressing, let me know. Not that I want to see more of you than I need to, ‘he cracked a smile at this. ‘But I don’t want to see Ginny and you shirt-less again, we clear?’

Harry nodded weakly. ‘Crystal clear.’

Ron sighed and leaned against the wall. ‘How much more help will you be needing?’

Harry looked hard at the floor and replied, ‘I think I’ll be okay…’

Ron shook his head and said, ‘Just be careful getting out of the tub. I’ll come check on you in about twenty minutes, okay?’

Harry nodded and watched as Ron shut the door quietly. Harry sighed and leaned back. He ached all over. He wished he had asked Ron for help, but the look on his friend’s face made him feel like he shouldn’t ask. He slowly got the rest of his clothes off, having the hardest time reaching his feet. He lowered himself into the warm water and felt an overwhelming sense of relief.

In what felt like only a few minutes later, Harry heard a distant knocking on the door and the muffled sound of Ron telling him to get up and asking if he needed help. He sighed and sat there for a few seconds and Ron opened the door. ‘Harry, are you alright?’

Harry answered feebly, ‘Yeah, I’m alright. I’ll be fine.’

Ron asked quietly, ‘Sure you don’t need some help?’

Harry leaned forward and nodded. ‘I’m fine. Just give me a few more minutes and I’ll be out.’

Ron said hurriedly, ‘It’s not that we need to use the toilet, but I want to make sure you’re okay. When you get out, let me know, I’ll try to get you up to my room.’

Harry felt much more relaxed than last night, and slowly got out of the tub, being careful not to slip. He got ready for bed as best he could after getting fully dressed. He opened the door slowly and was surprised to see both Ron and Hermione waiting for him.

Hermione smiled. ‘You look very refreshed. How are you feeling?’

Harry nodded. ‘Better. Where’s Ginny?’

Ron gave him a hard look. ‘She’s downstairs, in the kitchen.’

Harry gave Hermione a quizzical look and Ron cleared his throat loudly. ‘She’s helping mum with dinner. Mum and dad want to make sure you’re okay and they’d…we’d rather you stay downstairs; easier for you to get around.’

Harry nodded and stepped towards the stairs. ‘I’m feeling more mobile already.’

He walked slowly to the stairs and Hermione said quickly, ‘Harry, wait…’ He stopped and turned as she continued, ‘I know this sounds a bit sudden, but Ron and I are…we’re going to head out after dinner. Are you going to be alright without us?’

She gave him a worried look and he nodded. ‘Don’t be foolish, I’ll be fine. As long as Ginny’s staying…’

Ron took a step closer. ‘She’ll be here…but don’t make me repeat myself, Harry, about before.’

He glowered at his friend and Harry turned away. ‘Ron, I got it…I didn’t…I didn’t mean anything.’ He took a step forward. ‘I would never jeopardise my relationship with Ginny.’ He could see that this wasn’t convincing Ron in the least. He sighed. ‘It won’t happen again, I promise.’

Ron didn’t change his expression, but Hermione stood between them and said, ‘Its okay, Harry. Just…well, anyway, we’re going to pack and get going, right Ron?’

She gave him a nudge and he gave Harry one last look before heading up the stairs. Hermione smiled at him. ‘You know how protective Ron can be…I know you’re not feeling good, but really, Harry! That was…’

She shook her head and he laughed. ‘I know…I couldn’t help it…It felt…’

Hermione put her hands up. ‘If you say right I’m going to push you down these stairs!’

They both laughed as Harry took another step towards the stairs. Hermione stepped forward grabbing his arm. ‘Harry, wait, are you sure you’re okay?’

He nodded weakly at her. ‘Yeah, though I might need some help getting down these stairs safely.’

She smiled at him and wrapped an arm around his waist as he gripped the banister tightly. She said quietly, ‘Harry, you know Ron’s just worried about Ginny. You know he couldn’t pick a better boyfriend for her.’ She started to blush and continued, ‘But Harry, having her undress you…even Ron and I would never…’

He blushed too and replied, ‘I think this is turning more sordid with each re-telling. She was helping me get my shirt off, that’s it.’

They had made it to the bottom of the stairs and Hermione helped him to the couch. Harry could dimly hear Percy and Ginny talking in the kitchen. He sat down heavily and took a few deep breathes before saying, ‘Thanks, Hermione.’

She smiled and stepped away. He said quickly, ‘For everything. I don’t know what I’m going to do without you next year.’

She smiled broadly. ‘I am sure you’ll be fine, Harry. Just, be more careful.’

He nodded and leaned his head back against the couch as she walked into the kitchen. He shut his eyes for a moment and heard Ginny calling his name. ‘Harry, you’re not falling asleep are you? You haven’t taken any of your potions.’

Percy stood in the doorway with downcast eyes and said, ‘Harry, I’m really sorry…’

Harry smiled. ‘Percy, it isn’t your fault.’

Percy gave him a disbelieving look and said, ‘And next time, though I hope there isn’t another time, but if there is, worry about yourself. Ginny can take care of all of us together if needed.’

Harry nodded and reached out towards Ginny. She grasped his hand firmly and sat down next to him. Percy sighed and said, ‘I’m going to help mum with lunch. Try to act…appropriately.’

He gave them a knowing look and headed back into the kitchen. Ginny smiled at him, putting a hand on his forehead. ‘You’re looking much better.

He smiled. ‘I feel a lot better. That was really soothing.’

He squeezed her hand and said nervously, ‘Ginny, about earlier…’

She smiled and said, ‘Harry, you need to learn to ignore Ron sometimes. We didn’t do anything wrong.’

Harry gave her a sceptical look. He whispered, ‘I had you undressing me, what part of that wasn’t wrong?’

She raised her eyebrows. ‘You were still wearing your pants last time I checked.’

He laughed and nodded. ‘There really is no arguing with you, is there?’

She shook her head and leaned close to him. She wrapped her arms around his waist, kissing him softly. ‘You’re going to be okay.’

She said it as if it were an affirmation for herself, and not him, and he smiled, placing a hand on her arm. ‘Of course. I would never…give up on you.’

He moved closer to her and felt a dull ache in his back. He sat up straighter and she rubbed his back. ‘I think it’s time for that potion.’

He shook his head, but Mrs. Weasley came in. ‘Hello, Harry.’ Her voice was strained and Harry looked down as she spoke to him. ‘You should have taken your potions earlier, but now is just a good a time as any.’

She picked up a bottle and said, ‘This is the one you need to take now, dear. Ginny, get him some water and then, Harry, you’d best lay down.’

Harry nodded and Ginny got up, following her mother into the kitchen. Harry sighed and winced as he reached for the bottle. Ginny came back into the room with a glass of water and placed it next to the potion. ‘Harry, it might be time to put that ointment on, you’re looking like something’s bothering you.’

He nodded and said quietly, ‘I don’t think anyone’s going to like it if I ask you to help me.’

She sighed and rolled her eyes. ‘Well, if you can’t do it then who’s going to? And who’s better suited?’

She gave him a brilliant smile and he shook his head. ‘Ginny, Ron will kill me…literally!’

She smiled and started unbuttoning his shirt. ‘Please, Hermione, I’m sure, is keeping him otherwise occupied.’

He was feeling exceedingly tired and she handed him the potion and then the glass of water as he swallowed the potion. He made a disgusted face as he took the water from her. ‘That was horrible.’

She replied, laughing, ‘Don’t be such a baby!’

She opened the ointment and Harry felt his eyes getting heavy. She said quickly, ‘I hope you’re awake enough to enjoy this.’

He tried to laugh but he just mumbled something incoherent. She gently pushed him back across the couch and loosened his shirt. He could feel her warm hands spreading the ointment evenly across his chest, but his head lolled back against the couch. He could distantly hear Ginny saying something to him as he shut his eyes and felt himself falling fast asleep.