Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle by pokecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Harry woke up to the smell of dinner in the kitchen. He shook his head and sat up. He wasn’t feeling any aches at the time, and swung his feet of off the couch. He looked over to a chair near him and saw Ginny sitting up, with her eyes shut. He sighed. She’d fallen asleep keeping an eye on him, again. He felt bad about it, but it made him feel warm inside that she was there for him. He took a sip of water before placing the glass back on the table.

He got up slowly, feeling his head swim for a moment before the room returned to its normal state. He took a few tentative steps towards Ginny, sitting on the edge of the chair she was sitting in. She must have felt the movement. She looked up abruptly, and Harry put a hand on her shoulder. ‘Please tell me you’re going to sleep in a proper bed tonight.’

She shook her head and brushed her hair away from her face. ‘I’m fine. I’m not tired at all.’

He raised his eyebrows and laughed. ‘Don’t lie to me. You’re exhausted!’

She shook her head and said, ‘How are you?’

He smiled. ‘I’m fine; I have the best nurse snogging can buy.’

She laughed loudly and stood up, stretching and revealing a very flat stomach. She pulled her shirt down abruptly and slapped Harry playfully on the arm. ‘Don’t be sneaking peaks, Harry Potter!’

He smiled and replied, ‘Oh please, like you weren’t enjoying seducing me earlier!’

She gave him a shocked look and said, ‘Oh yes, one of my dreams is to rub ointment on my well built boyfriend’s chest while he’s out cold!’

They both laughed and Harry sunk into the chair Ginny had been sitting in. The energy surge he had felt was almost entirely spent and he felt his eye lids growing heavy again. Ginny took a step forward and whispered, ‘I guess I spoke too soon.’

He leaned back and shook his head. ‘No, I’m fine.’

She shook her head and grabbed the glass of water. ‘You keep saying that. And the more you say it the less I believe you. You missed lunch also. You’re probably hungry.’

He shook his head. ‘Food still doesn’t sound appealing to me.’

‘Unfortunately, that isn’t part of the equation, love,’ she continued more slowly as he finished the water. She stepped close to him, taking the glass and said, ‘Why don’t I give you something to eat? We should be eating dinner in a bit, but you need some energy.’

He shook his head and asked, ‘Where are Ron and Hermione?’

Ginny smiled weakly. ‘Ron went to the store. They’re going to stop at St. Mungo’s on the way home.’

Harry nodded and said, ‘When are you going to go?’

She gave him a nervous smile. ‘I don’t want to leave you alone, but I did want to go.’

Harry tried to smile and said, ‘Did you want me to go with you?’

The last thing Harry wanted to do was seeing George, but he could see how much it was affecting their family and knew he’d be fine once he was feeling better. She smiled at him and sat down on the couch he’d just been sleeping on. ‘I really would. Though, if you don’t want to go, and I can certainly understand your not wanting to go, then I can go with mum or dad.’

Harry nodded and smiled, letting the exhaustion take him for a few moments. Ginny walked over, shaking Harry. ‘If you’re feeling tired, why don’t you lie down?’

He shook his head and sat up. ‘Maybe I should get dressed or something?’

She laughed. ‘We’re not having a repeat of what happened earlier! Besides, you don’t have to worry, no one’s going to care if you’re dressed or not!’

He looked down realising he was just wearing his pyjamas and looked around for his robe. She sighed and shook her head. ‘I managed to get this off of you after you fell asleep.’

She handed him the robe and he got up, pulling his arms through the sleeves slowly. She gave him a sad look and said, ‘Harry, let me get you something to eat. It’ll make you feel better.’

He called out to her as she headed for the kitchen. ‘Do I really look that bad?’

She turned and smiled. ‘You look a tad pale.’

She was gone for a few minutes and Harry had a hard time staying awake in those few minutes. She walked back into the sitting room with a bowl of mixed fruit and said, ‘This should give you more energy than the toast did this morning.’

He looked at the bowl with a forlorn expression. She sighed and said, ‘Come on, Harry, it’s not gruel, it’s just fruit.’

He sighed and she said quickly, ‘It isn’t going to bite, and I’m not leaving until you finish at least half of the bowl!’

He gave her a confused look and said, ‘How is that supposed to encourage me to eat this?’

She laughed and said, ‘Fine! Then I’m not coming back until you finish half of it!’

He smiled wryly and said, ‘But how will you know if you’re not here?’

She shook her head. ‘You’re impossible! If our positions are ever switched, I hope to Merlin I’m not as difficult as you are.’

He gave her a hurt smile and replied, ‘I’m eating, I’m eating!’ She sighed and he continued, ‘But I do enjoy the company.’

She sat down again, across from him and looked at him sternly. ‘I’m not messing about, Harry, you need to eat.’

He shrugged. ‘Isn’t dinner soon? Couldn’t I eat then?’

She narrowed her eyes. ‘Harry, who are you trying to fool?’

He sighed and ate a piece of fruit. ‘Apparently not you.’

She crossed her arms in mock exasperation. ‘No, indeed. I think I’ve figured out all of your tricks.’

He smiled back at her. ‘Now I just have to figure out yours.’

She replied, ‘Well, with Ron and Hermione leaving, we’ll have loads of time.’

Harry looked at her inquisitively. ‘Wait, who’s going to watch the shop?’

Ginny smiled. ‘Percy will be. He’s fine. He just needed some rest.’

Harry nodded and said, ‘He didn’t sound fine last night.’

Ginny looked away. ‘Well, Ron had to get him…George had done a number on him. But he’s fine. Much better than George.’

Harry nodded. ‘How’s George?’

Harry tried to sound sincere and Ginny let it pass. ‘He’s okay…well, I don’t know…mum and dad have been pretty tight about it.’

She looked worried and Harry smiled weakly at her. ‘Ginny, I’m sure he’ll be fine.’

Ginny shook her head. ‘I hope so, Harry.’

He sighed and continued eating as Ginny watched the kitchen absently. He knew she was most likely watching the family clock. He wasn’t certain, but when she mentioned George’s name, he felt more anger than remorse. He was fairly certain Ginny wouldn’t care for that, and knew he’d have to put his feelings for George aside for her as best he could. She turned to see him staring at her intently and got up quickly. ‘I think I hear Ron and Hermione.’

Sure enough, not a minute later, the pair came into the sitting room. Ron looked exceedingly sombre and Hermione smiled weakly at Harry. ‘I didn’t think you’d be up when we got back.’

Ron and Hermione sat down across from Harry. She continued, ‘How are you feeling?’

He nodded and mumbled through the fruit, ‘I’m okay, how was everything?’

Ron locked eyes with Ginny and the latter took a sharp breath. Hermione looked questioningly from Ron to Ginny and Ron nodded. She said quietly, ‘Well, the shop was fine –’

Harry rolled his eyes and broke in, ‘Hermione, what’s going on?’

Ron and Ginny looked downcast and Hermione looked helplessly between the two of them. Harry tried to sit forward, and leaned back heavily. Ginny turned to him and said, ‘I think things are as we’d expect them to be.’

Harry furrowed his brow and said, ‘What are you worried about? I’m not going to tell anyone!’

Ron spoke up finally, ‘That isn’t the point, Harry! This is…its horrible…our brother is totally mental. That’s it.’

Harry looked sharply at Hermione and she nodded weakly. ‘That’s the gist of it, yes.’

Harry looked down. He knew Ron blamed him and he felt that Ginny wasn’t far from that. Ginny looked over at him and smiled. Hermione got up slowly. ‘I think we’ll be having dinner soon. I’m going to freshen up quickly.’

She headed out of the room and left Ron with Harry and Ginny. Ron got up slowly and Ginny shot him an imploring look. He sighed and said, ‘I didn’t mean to snap at you, Harry. I just…its been a long day.’

Harry nodded mutely but didn’t say anything. Ron walked into the kitchen without saying more and Harry said quietly, feeling very wide awake, ‘I’m really sorry about all this.’

Ginny didn’t look at him, but ran her hand across her eyes. Harry got up slowly, teetering for a second before falling heavily onto the couch she was sitting in. He nearly dropped the bowl he was holding and Ginny jumped as he sat down. ‘Harry! What are you doing?’

Ginny pulled the bowl out of his grasp and placed it on the floor as he struggled to sit up. She grabbed his shoulders and helped him up. He leaned heavily on her as she helped him and he said breathlessly, ‘I’m trying to comfort you.’

She laughed softly. He wrapped an arm around her shoulder and kissed her softly. She took his face in her hands and said, ‘Thanks, Harry. Please don’t apologise, we should be apologising to you!’

He shook his head, leaning against the back of the couch. ‘I don’t know, Ginny. I feel like…it was my fault.’

She gave him an incredulous look. ‘Let me get this straight, you think, it’s your fault, you were attacked by our grief-stricken brother?’

He smiled. ‘When you put it like that, you make me sound a bit mental.’

She replied, ‘Just a bit? Maybe I should say it again.’

He laughed and ran his hand across her back. ‘I wouldn’t mind hearing it again, but I won’t lie, I’m feeling a little out of it.

She nodded and got up. ‘I think you need to lie down again. And you have not finished your fruit.

He smiled and let her help him across the couch. ‘I never promised anything, I just said I’d try.’

She sighed and put a hand to his forehead. ‘I’ll get you up for dinner, then more potions.’

Harry felt his head resting against the pillow and a blanket being pulled across his body. Ginny bent down and kissed him softly before leaving the room.

In what felt like only an hour, Harry opened his eyes slowly. The room was out of focus and darkened. He sat up slowly and reached towards the table and found his glasses. He pulled them on and noticed he was alone in the sitting room. He felt relieved and got up slowly, stretching and then heading into the kitchen. Mr. Weasley was sitting at the kitchen table and looked up, surprised to see Harry up.

He smiled broadly. ‘You’re looking better, how are you?’

Harry smiled weakly. ‘I’m okay, how is everything?’

Mr. Weasley sighed. ‘Well, I won’t lie to you, Harry; George is still a bit…off kilter. But Percy is, thankfully, fine now.’

Harry sat down across from him, pulling his robe tightly around himself. ‘Mr. Weasley, I’m really sorry, about everything.’

Mr. Weasley smiled. ‘Harry, listen, son. You needn’t think of this as anyone’s fault. Least of all your own.’ He leaned forward, putting the parchment down he was looking over. ‘Harry, I think Ginny is right, you’re far too serious.’

Harry raised his eyebrows in surprise. He didn’t think Ginny would be talking about him with her parents, he wondered to what extent the rest of that conversation had been shared. ‘Mr. Weasley, I think I could have saved everyone a lot of grief if I had just…acted more quickly.’

Mr. Weasley laughed softly. ‘Harry, my boy, hindsight is always twenty-twenty. You did what you thought was best. If anything, we should be apologising to you about all of this.’

Harry shook his head. ‘No, Mr. Weasley, really, you’ve been the family I’ve never had and this isn’t your fault either. No one could have known what would have happened.’

Mr. Weasley smiled. ‘Harry, that is a really mature way of looking at this. I’m proud of you.’

Harry felt himself flush and said, ‘Thanks, Mr. Weasley.’

They looked at each other for a few moments before Mr Weasley said, ‘I think everyone will be in and out of the house over the next couple of weeks. I think Molly is going to be spending a good deal of time at St. Mungo’s.’

Harry nodded and said, ‘And Ron and Hermione are leaving today, too.’

Mr. Weasley nodded. ‘So I’ve heard. I’m glad Ron’s going with Hermione, though I feel that Molly and I should be meeting her parents again…’

He seemed to be searching to say something and Harry nodded. He felt a slight rumbling in his stomach and realised he was finally hungry. Mr Weasley continued, ‘Perhaps after things have settled…’

He smiled at Harry and laughed. ‘I’m sure you’re not interested in this sort of thing, so I’ll stop talking about nothing.’

Harry smiled and shook his head. ‘Don’t be…’ He stopped, fumbling for the right words. ‘I think meeting Hermione’s parents again sounds like a nice idea. Maybe over the holidays?’

Mr. Weasley nodded. ‘Perhaps…’

Harry was thankful that awkward conversation was over and shut his eyes. He could distantly hear a discussion and felt a pair of hands grip his shoulders gently. ‘If you’re tired, don’t sleep in the kitchen!’

He turned slightly, but knew it was Ginny; her scent arrived well before she did. She kissed him softly on the cheek and sat down next to him. She gave him a worried smile and he smiled back. ‘You keep looking at me like that…’

She laughed softly. ‘I’m sorry, you’re just worrying me…’

She rested her hand on his shoulder and said, ‘I think we missed one of your potions today, too.’

He sighed. ‘I’m sure I can take them all at one time.’

She shook her head. ‘You can’t mix some of them.’

He rolled his eyes. ‘Does it even matter? I mean, they’ll all end up in the same place!’

She slapped him playfully. ‘How long do you want to be asleep?’

He relented and said, ‘Yes, dear.’

Mrs. Weasley came through the grate and tried her best to smile. She seemed to give Mr. Weasley some sort of sign, as he got up promptly and headed out of the room with her. Ginny started to get up, but sat down, keeping an eye on Harry. Harry gave her a disgruntled look and said, ‘If you want to go see what they’re talking about, go, I’m fine.’

She shook her head and replied, ‘I think I need to keep a better eye on you. You were sleeping, sitting up, just now. I don’t think mum or dad are going to approve of that.’

He retorted dryly, ‘You’re not my nurse. Besides, your father was sitting right here. If he wanted me to move, he could have just told me to.’

Ginny gave him a sharp look and said quietly, ‘Stop acting like you’re being a bother, Harry. He didn’t say anything because he doesn’t want to bother you.’

Harry tried to cross his arms, but felt the task too tiring and let his hands rest on the table. ‘I don’t care for where this is going…’

She looked at him slyly. ‘Where is that exactly?’

He didn’t say anything, and she squeezed his shoulder before taking a few steps towards the door. Her father saw her and waved his wand at the door. Harry saw a bright flash and knew he’d thrown a muffling charm on the door. Ginny turned around with an exasperated look. He tried not to look too amused, but to no avail. She sat down heavily next to him and whispered, ‘Thanks. That was very encouraging of you.’

He smiled and said, ‘Sorry, I can’t help it. If you had gone there when I first said you should, you’d be hearing them now.’

She gave him a half smile, but Harry knew she was worried. They had to be talking about George. By the look on Ginny’s face, Harry knew the conversation was getting increasingly heated. He turned away from her, looking at the floor while trying to stay sitting upright.

Mrs. Weasley came back into the room and said, ‘Who’s hungry for dinner, then?’

Harry didn’t look up, and Ginny nudged him, but said nothing. Harry turned to her, but was fearful to hold Mrs. Weasley’s gaze. She didn’t seem to mind that neither of them had replied, and bustled around the kitchen quickly before heading out of the room.

Harry had kept his gaze away from Ginny and she poked him softly. ‘What? Have you become afraid to look at any of us now?’

He shook his head and slowly turned to her. ‘No, I just…I feel bad. And I don’t want you to tell me I shouldn’t!’

She started to argue, but leaned back in her chair. ‘If you want to level yourself with guilt, fine, but don’t expect me or anyone else in this house to help you.’

He looked away from her and he knew she was not looking at him either. They sat there quietly for some time before both Ron and Hermione came into the kitchen, sitting across from them. Ginny looked over at the stove and got up; stirring something once she got there.

No one said anything. Harry had never thought things could get any tenser at the Burrow, but amazingly they had in one short day. Conversations were kept quiet, and there was no longer any laughter to be found. Even if George was not himself, he still had a jovial air to him, and that was gone from the house for the time being.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley came into the kitchen a quarter of an hour later, both looking tired. Mr. Weasley looked around the room and said, ‘Your mother and I will be taking turns keeping an eye on George. Percy will be helping when he can. Ron, I know you’re heading off with Hermione, and that’s fine, but please be cognisant of the help we could use here. Ginny, we believe you’ll be best suited tending Harry until he can get back on his feet.’

Harry started to argue, but Mr. Weasley shook his head. ‘I don’t want any arguments about this. Just do as we ask, please.’

Harry snapped his mouth shut and continued looking at the kitchen table. Mrs. Weasley said nothing and headed to the stove, finishing the last preparations on the dinner. She served the dinner quietly. She set a bowl of soup in front of Harry and said, ‘This should get you up and about, dear.’

He nodded weakly and noticed the most appetising aroma emanating from the soup. He couldn’t believe it, but he felt like the soup was the best thing he’d ever smelled. Ginny shot him strange looks throughout dinner. Everyone slowly stopped eating, yet Harry still felt famished. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley bid everyone good night while Ron, Hermione and Ginny continued to look worriedly at Harry. He finally stopped, putting his spoon down. ‘What? Why are you all looking at me like that?’

Ginny tried to suppress her smile and said, ‘Harry, you inhaled that soup like it was running away from you!’

Ron and Hermione both laughed and Hermione said, ‘I have to give your mother credit, I don’t think Harry expected that, did you?’

Harry looked at her with a confused expression. ‘What are you talking about?’

Ron laughed and said, ‘Harry, I think that fever is finally frying your brain if even I can figure these things out! Mum put something in the soup to get you to eat more of it. It’s just a little something to get your energy up. But I don’t think any of us expected you’d take to it quite this well.’

Harry gave them a perturbed expression and said sullenly, ‘It was good soup.’

Ginny patted him on the arm. ‘Well, if you’ve had your fill, we need to get you some potions to get you back to full strength.’

Harry looked at the soup quietly and Hermione said quietly, ‘Despite Harry’s new affinity for soup, Ron and I are going to head out. Are you sure you’re going to be okay?’

Harry started to say something and realised Hermione was addressing Ginny. She looked back at Hermione and patted Harry on the arm. ‘We’ll be fine. You two go have a good time.’

She smiled sweetly at both of them and Ron gave her a disbelieving look. She said more emphatically, ‘I mean it, Ron. Don’t worry. I promise; this will all be here when you get back.’

Hermione started to argue, but Ron shook his head. ‘We already planned this, let’s go. Besides, your parents are expecting us. Both of us.’

Harry nodded and said, ‘We’ll be fine. Give your parents our love, unless that’ll get you into more trouble.’

They all laughed and Ron smiled, getting up and pulling Hermione’s chair out for her. ‘We’ll head out soon. I’ll check in with mum and dad. Harry, if you’re passed out when we leave…’

He gave Harry another hard look and Ginny broke in, ‘Ron, stop it.’

Ron stood up to his full height and retorted, ‘I’m your older brother before I’m Harry’s best friend.’ He pointed accusingly at both of them. ‘I don’t want to hear about anything like that again. Am I being clear?’

Ginny glowered at Ron. ‘You’re not the boss of me.’

Ron took a step towards the table but Hermione grabbed his arm to slow his progress. He didn’t move further but said forcefully, ‘That may be the case, but since mum and dad are otherwise distracted, you should know to act appropriately.’

Ginny started to argue but Harry put his hand up. ‘Ron, it was nothing. But like I said before, it won’t happen again, so just…’

Ron gave them one last look before Hermione pushed him out towards the stairs. She stopped for a second, giving them both an apologetic look. ‘I hate to agree with Ron about something like that but –’

Ginny interrupted her, ‘Not you too!’

Hermione smiled. ‘Ginny, you know I…I think you and Harry are fantastic together, but Harry…I’m afraid that even if you’re sick, you should know better.’ She sighed and continued, ‘I don’t want to leave lecturing either of you, just…get better. We’ll be back soon. Ron will be at least.’ She gave Harry a consoling smile and said, ‘Harry, try to get better and don’t give Ginny too much of a hard time.’

Harry nodded and watched as she left the room, leaving him alone with Ginny. She looked over at him and said, ‘Looks like we’re going to have to keep our hands off of each other.’

Harry sighed, stood up slowly and headed for sitting room. Ginny followed him and watched as he sat down heavily on the couch he’d been sleeping on. He felt much more awake than he had since the previous night and was looking warily at the potions on the table. He didn’t want to go into another potion-induced stupor, but knew neither Ginny nor Mrs. Weasley would allow him not to take them.

Ginny followed him into the sitting room with a glass of water and he visibly cringed. She laughed. ‘I’m not throwing this on you and the potions aren’t that bad.’

Harry gave her a serious look. ‘You’re not the one taking them.’

She nodded and placed the cup down on the table, sitting down next to him. ‘Harry, if you don’t take them, there could be some…lasting effects. Please.’

She gave him the sweetest smile and he had a hard time resisting. ‘Can’t I at least wait until Ron and Hermione leave?’

Ginny gave him a tired look. ‘They may take a while. I’m not sure how good of an idea that is.’

He leaned over, running his fingers up her arm. ‘I’m sure you can keep me awake until then.’

She watched him quietly enjoying the attention, then, as if startled, slapped his hand away. ‘Harry! Stop that. You need to get some rest and take these potions. Don’t turn me into the bad guy here.’

He gave her his saddest eyes, but could feel the tiredness creeping up on him. ‘I guess this is what its like when kids are begging their parents to stay up late…’

She patted him gently on the back. ‘It is.’ She sighed and relented, ‘Twenty minutes, then no more arguing.’

He nodded and said, ‘Thanks. See, that wasn’t so hard.’

She took one of his hands in hers and said, ‘So, how is it I’m supposed to keep you awake?’

Harry gave her a sly smile and squeezed her hand. ‘Well, the most popular thing I can think about…’ He leaned over and kissed her softly. ‘Involves me snogging you…’

He continued kissing her, but felt his weight falling across the couch. She grabbed his shoulders gently and pushed him back, propping him up. She pulled away and laughed. ‘Wow, this is going wonderfully. You want to snog me silly and you can’t even sit up straight.’

He tried to argue but she turned to face him and said, ‘Maybe you should just lie back for a bit.’

He sighed and said, ‘I feel like that’s all I’ve been doing.’

She shook her head. ‘I don’t understand how someone who’s so frequently in the hospital wing of Hogwarts can be so impatient.’

He smiled. ‘Oh come on, you love me for my impatience.’

She turned her head laughing. ‘Of all of your endearing traits, that is one of my least favourites.’

He trailed his hand down her back as she leaned forward. He wrapped his arm around her waist, trying to pull her closer. He didn’t have the strength. She looked at him dolefully and said, ‘Harry, you’re really exhausted. Why are you insisting on staying awake? Ron and Hermione aren’t going to fault you for getting some much needed rest.’

He nodded and leaned closer to her. ‘I know, but I won’t see them for a while…’

She raised her eyebrows. ‘And I’m what, chopped liver over here?’

She laughed softly; wrapping her arms around his shoulder ‘Just lie down. But don’t think I won’t wake you to take these potions.’

He sighed and shook his head. ‘I’m only a little tired. I thought you said I had twenty minutes.’

She rolled her eyes. ‘So now I’m supposed to keep you awake for that time?’

He nodded and smiled at her. She sighed. ‘Fine…’

She grabbed his shoulders from behind and turned him away from her. She ran her hands across his back, then let him relax against her. He struggled for a second but she pulled him back. ‘How about you relax a little?’

He turned slightly and replied, ‘I’m always relaxed when I’m with you.’

She laughed softly; he could almost feel her laughter. ‘Harry, you’re rather tense from what I can tell.’

She had the softest hands. He was very aware of how thin his shirt was and how her fingers were working magic on his back. He felt his eyes shutting and whispered, ‘You’ve tricked me again, haven’t you?’

She kissed him softly on the nape of his neck. ‘Now, why would I trick you, Harry?’

He felt his head lolling forward and fought to pull away from what was by far the most amazing massage he’d ever had, considering he had never gotten one. She wrapped her arms around his waist and whispered, ‘Where do you think you’re going?’

He put his hands over hers and replied, ‘I think I get why your parents are afraid to leave us alone…’

He slowly turned, facing her and kissed her gently. ‘I don’t think I can fight you anymore…it’s been twenty minutes, hasn’t it?’

She nodded and smiled. ‘You’ve got three different potions to take. Two you can take together, the other one, tomorrow morning.’

He sighed and nodded. ‘You are quite the…seductress…’

She laughed. ‘Just so we’re clear, I’m getting my way, again.’

He leaned over, kissing her on the cheek. ‘I don’t know, I got something I didn’t expect…I…’ He fumbled for a moment, ‘I don’t think anyone’s ever even offered to give me a massage before.’

She smiled sweetly at him. ‘Play your cards right, and this won’t be a rare occurrence.’

She started to get up and he reached for her vainly. She gave him a curious look. ‘No fussing, Harry, just drink these and lie down.’

He looked at her sadly. ‘No more massages?’

She laughed. ‘I’ll have to check and see if you need more ointment, but I’m not sure.’

He raised his eyebrows mischievously. ‘Just don’t undress me while there are others around.’

She laughed and handed him the first potion. He gave her a forlorn look and she shook her head warningly. He drank it quickly and tried hard not to gag. The taste was atrocious. She handed him the water, which he drank slowly. She opened the other potion and Harry looked at her warily. She sighed. ‘Harry, you promised.’

He coughed. ‘Are you sure I can’t just take it later?’

She handed him the bottle and took the glass from him. He gave her one last pleading look, but she gave him a hard stare. Much to Harry’s surprise, this second potion was sweet tasting. He took the water back from her, finishing the glass and said, ‘Why can’t they all taste good?’

She smiled. ‘It’s supposed to make you feel better, not taste good.’

He was surprised that he wasn’t feeling tired and looked up at her. She gave him a curious look and grabbed the potion list. She stood there for another moment and said, ‘You’re not feeling tired?’

He shook his head. ‘Not really, no?’

As he said it he could feel the potions hitting him and struggled to stay awake. She smiled and sat down in front of the couch, gently pushing him down across it. He searched for the blanket he’d been using and started to drape it across his body. He started to say something but stopped. She put her hand on his chest and asked, ‘Does this hurt?’

He winced a little, but didn’t say anything and she sighed. ‘I guess it is time to apply some more ointment.’

Harry opened his eyes wide at this and she gave him a questioning look. ‘Was it really that bad the first time?’

He shook his head. ‘Merlin, no! It was amazing, I want to enjoy it this time.’

He winked at her and she rolled her eyes. She unbuttoned his shirt and slowly rubbed the ointment across his chest. She leaned close to him and kissed him softly. ‘I have to say, Harry, I didn’t realise you’d found so much time to stay so fit.’

He laughed softly. ‘You know, I did have a lot going on, had to be in good shape.’

She nodded. ‘Very good shape.’

She smirked at him and buttoned his shirt back up. He took her hand in his, kissing it. ‘Thanks…Ginny?’

She bent down next to him, smiling. ‘Yes?’

He looked up at her and said, ‘Promise me you’ll sleep in your bed tonight?’

She gave him a worried look and he squeezed her hand again. ‘Harry…who’s going to look after you?’

He shook his head. ‘I’m moving a little slow, but I’m fine, I don’t need twenty-four hour watch. You always look gorgeous to me…but you also look really, really tired.’

She nodded and ran her hand across her face. ‘I am, Harry, but I don’t want to leave you alone…’

He nodded and continued holding onto her hand. ‘If I need anything, I’ll send you a Patronus…please.’

She smiled and knelt down. ‘Close your eyes, love.’

He nodded and let his body fall fast asleep.

Chapter Endnotes: thank you for everyone who's still reading!